'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

161,961 to 161,980 of 167,003 messages
26/11/2012 at 20:50

Derek - somebody should have advised the mayor, - could have been an accident with runners leaping off steps.

Didn't run today but did go swimming. Has been raining hard here since mid-afternoon.

27/11/2012 at 10:01

Morning all,

It's dark, wet and dreary again.  Today I shall be doing a little bit of speedwork on the treddy toe ease myself back into it.  I've just made a batch of Welsh cakes so I've got something to look forward to afterwards 

IW, I'll be out there too on Christmas day.  I suspect it was you that put the idea into my head many years ago 

mcs
27/11/2012 at 14:04

Always run every day over the silly season and love it as no one about much until boxing day. Dark here just after lunch going to be a cold dark run home tonight easy run. Did three into work with a little hill in it and kept it easy ish. Got to run slower for more runs and then make a contrast on the speedwork day.
The older I grow, the more I listen to people who dont say much........

27/11/2012 at 20:28

Another wet and dreary day. Did two long dog walks
Collected MrsJJ's new car for her 'cos she was working.

Maybe I ought to run.

Diana
Thank you. I think grandaughter is too clever by half for a 6 week old.
JJ

27/11/2012 at 21:29

good evening everyone 

good to see you all are well and running, its getting bloody cold tonight but no wind hurrah

well its 2nd week of training and im actually starting to feel the running is getting better, 4 miles tues, wed and thurs, with long run sunday, knocked 2 mins off last tues time, 

27/11/2012 at 21:51

Got a Welsh cake to spare, Red?

Getting cold here, too. I ran with the running club this evening, intervals in town, with lots of hills thrown in.  Nearly five miles. Darkness slightly alleviated by a nice bright moon.  Yes, there is street lighting but big gaps between lights; the moon helped fill in the gaps.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
28/11/2012 at 06:09

Our forecast says winter is on the way, Friday will be cold and possibility of snow and ice - luckily I  have leave that day!

Met one of Charly's brothers last night, he's about the same size and weight but is a long-hair.  Looks like a fluffy little bear.Temperament isn't as good as Charly, he snarled a lot at my pup and his owner said he's a bit afraid of strange dogs. His name is Caesar,she doesn't like it so calls him Dakota! Charly was willing to be friendly but then barked back at  him, as if to say, ok, two can play at that game.

28/11/2012 at 09:17

Last night was the coldest so far. I always put my Garmin in the back garden, prior to setting off for running/training, and when I attempted to open the garden gate, it was difficult to push. My dustbin had been blown over! The wind was icy, and I was very tempted to give club night a miss. Thankfully, I decided to brave the elements, and made sure that I wore a hat, but still wore shorts.

We had a hill rep. session comprising 4 sets of 30, 60 and 90 secs. with jogs back down and one minute recovery between sets. Total mileage was 6.63.

Today is forecast to be bright and sunny, but already feels very cold. I will be heading off for a forest run later.

28/11/2012 at 09:52

Morning all,

No rain thank goodness but bitterly cold with a biting wind.  5.5 mile tempo run for me.

Columba, the Welsh cakes didn't last very long 

IW, I like the sound of a fluffy Charly but not with a bad temperament.

TE, I wore shorts this morning but wished I'd put tights on!

mcs
28/11/2012 at 13:36

Having a rest day, and its stopped raining here actually saw a bit of sunshine this am with blue sky......back twinges so need to go steady me thinks.  90 miles for NOvember so need to watch the back, pulled it moving boxes.

28/11/2012 at 15:27

I ran a steady 6 miles in the forest this morning, and had been in two minds whether or not to wear shorts or tracksters. I decided on shorts and my legs didn't feel that cold. My upper body, however, felt very cold, as the icy wind cut right thorugh me. I wore a wooly hat which kept my head warm, but I could still hear the wind howling, despite the hat covering my ears.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
28/11/2012 at 18:11

21 days and counting!

28/11/2012 at 20:15

You'll be running before Christmas, then, BIW.

I take my hat off to all those running in shorts in icy weather (TE - good thing you didn't take your hat off). Was working today, so didn't run, but would have been a rest day anyway after last night's club run. 

Definitely turning colder here, too. Drove home behind a gritter.

90 miles, mcs? I've only done 30-odd. Though might manage t creep up to 40 before the end of the month.

28/11/2012 at 20:53

evening all

terence you must be a nutter to run in shorts at this time of year and not feeling the cold, i went for 4 miles this evening and the cars had already started to freeze over,

am finding each run getting a bit better each time, really enjoyed this evenings run, got another 4 miles tomorrow evening and am looking forward to it,

28/11/2012 at 21:15

Sarnie, I have been running for 30 years, so am used to the cold on my legs. Gone, however, are the days when I used to race cross country throughout the winter in just vest and shorts.

MCS, I have also run 90 miles this month, and we are scheduled for a 10 mile fartlek run tomorrow evening. This may be cut short if the weather "turns nasty."

28/11/2012 at 21:31

I was summoned last week to my GP for one of the check-ups I get every so often. Got the blood test results today and no worries so I suppose I've got no excuse for not running.

sarnie
Very good progress. Keep it up. Hope you're keeping the pace nice and easy. No heroics are needed just yet.

TE
Muscles work better and with less risk of damage if they are kept warm.
JJ

28/11/2012 at 22:25

JJ

good news with GP results, im just plodding at the mo, not ready to do anything more but the plodding is getting easier

29/11/2012 at 10:36

JJ, I agree about keeping muscles warm and will probably wear tracksters for this evenings run, as it is forecast to get below zero tonight. Good news about your health check.

29/11/2012 at 12:39

Afternoon all,

No rain, hoorah!  Had a lovely run in sunshine with a brisk wind.  6.75 miles with big hills and I did 2 miles @ 8 min miling on an undulating bit   My mileage this month has only just scraped over the 100 mark as I've been keeping it lower to give my leggies a bit of a rest before the big stuff starts.  Next week I shall start running for 6 days a week rather than my usual 5 in preparation for my 2013 challenge.

JJ, excellent news.  Better stop slacking then and get your backside into gear 

Sarnie, good to hear that your plods are getting better.  Slow and gentle is defo the way.

TE, I succombed to tights today as the temperature was only just above freezing when I went out.

mcs
29/11/2012 at 13:40

Bootiful sunny but cold day here in Derbyshire had to run at lunchtime interval session......happy now though very tough.

9.07-7.45-7.50-8.58-7.23-8.25-6.54-7.55....lovely, cold hat and gloves and running jacket on, managed to crash a couple of faster miles........done .....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.