'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

161,981 to 162,000 of 167,013 messages
29/11/2012 at 15:23

Oooh Mark, you did one with a 6 in it 

29/11/2012 at 16:45

Mark, a great session there! You must work flexi time to run 8 miles plus recoveries during your lunch break. I was on flexi time for many years, and often took 2 hours for lunch time. This worked out well with my colleagues as I was first in and last out.

The temperature has now dropped to 3 degrees and I have a feeling that tonight's run will be shortened from the scheduled 10 miler. There is always an option to do a shorter run, for the members haven't run that far yet.

29/11/2012 at 18:39

JJ - good news. Correct, you now have no excuse whatever!

Red - if "scraping over the 100 mark" is "lower", whatever sort of mileage are you planning for 2013?

Woke to hard frost. However, clear sky so when the sun rose I had hopes that it would melt the frost. By midday I decided that was as good as it was going to get (frost thawed only in direct sunlight) so ran 4.72 miles - hadn't intended doing quite that much but as usual once past the first mile I was feeling perky so extended it. Long tights, 3 layers on top, gloves and a wide headband covering my ears. 

29/11/2012 at 19:02

Had my hair cut today by a new employee at the hairdresser I always go to.
a) about 20
b) about 5' 7"
c) slim
d) straight blond hair.
e) femaile
I think my luck's changed a bit!

Columba
I will have to think seriously about a new excuse.

Redhead
At my age I need to take great care not to overdo things.
JJ

29/11/2012 at 22:07

Our club run went very well, despite the temperature being minus1. Most of us did the 10 miles, whilst a few did the 6. We didn't do it as a fartlek, but did vary the pace a bit from time to time. Our time of 1.31.49 was surprisingly quick, considering we were running at conversational pace.

I am running in the CC6 on Sunday, which will be my first cross country race for many years. We have been warned that the course is very muddy, and there are some steep hills. As is normal for this series of races, there are no changing or toilet facilities.

30/11/2012 at 01:35

What a difference a week and a half makes. From saying how nice it was to still be shorts weather, last saturday it took me 5 minutes from getting off the bike to get enough feeling back in the hands to be able to undo the cycle helmet before the 5k. This saturday, I think I will try mittens over thin running gloves with a pair of those hand warmers in the back of the mittens while on the bike this saturday - it might work.

I too have one of the GP health checks lined up. I will let them frown a bit over the life style and diet answers and wait for the excercise questions and I will then tell them how I have set club records over 4 distances for my running in the last 2 months - I dont need to tell them my times are really very very slow but I happen to be the only v60 the club has ever had. I think I will come away with a win this time.

4 year grandson is really looking forward to his first race on sunday in the santa mini dash. He asked me to time him yesterday while he ran backwards and forwards across the living room for 5 minutes. I hope it is not too cold for him.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
30/11/2012 at 10:44

Winter has arrived here but so far not in our area, it's chilly but sunny. In other areas a lot of snow fell last night and many trucks slid sideways and are stuck on Autobahns - in one case the police are reporting a traffic jam stretching for 30kms! More snow to come. Mostly on higher ground so far. John is driving back from working in Belgium so has to drive across the Eifel, notorious for bad weather, fingers crossed for him.

19 non-running days left!

30/11/2012 at 19:47

Very quiet on here today. Perhaps the cold is keeping us indoors?

BIW no snow here yet in the south, but has been below freezing until the afternoon. Hope John makes it safely back!

I'm taking today and tomorrow as rest days, as I really want to race well on Sunday. Cross country races always start off at sprinting pace to get good positions, so I must ensure that I don't get flattened Sunday's forecast is bright and brisk, so vest and shorts are  out of the question. I will, however, wear shorts, as I have never raced in tracksters. Two tops plus club vest, hat and gloves will probably be necessary.

The average age of our club runners is 50, so we are hoping to attract some younger members, who will be able to keep our faster runners "on their toes."

Edited: 30/11/2012 at 19:49
30/11/2012 at 20:11

I will have to make some noise on here then.

evening all.
Nice cold day so went for 3.5 mile doodle walk, gardened for 3 hours then went for a 3.2 mile run so kept quite warm all day.

IW
Keep counting.
Do you need a change of shoes with maybe more cushioning?

TE
Don't forget that the only thing that mattersin XC is race position. It affects all the awards.
For thems as don't know much about these things XC is all about pacing yourself to keep picking off the runners in front and at the same time trying to keep your club runners as close together as possible (packing) to get team awards.
JJ

30/11/2012 at 20:56

evening everyone

Red very impressive 100, what are you aiming to do in 2013,

went out this evening, it was a very cold but i love this weather for running, did 4 miles and knocked 2 mins off previous runs so all is looking good, the training plan i found is  great, run tes, wed, thurs or fri with a steady increase in milegae on a sunday, looking forward to doing 7-8 on sunday, 

30/11/2012 at 22:16

JJ - you are doing better with your hairdresser than I am with mine. Mine is a magician with hair. However, he is in process of becoming a woman, and plans to move away and start a new life in another town. Bother!

Wasn't going to run today, but took wet washing to lauderette to tumble-dry it rather than having it hanging round the house adding to the condensation; and while it was tumbling, ran 3 times round the lake.

30/11/2012 at 22:41

Columba
I shall have to check my hairdresser very carefully 

sarnie
Good run. Keep the distance or pace increases very gradual. The received wisdom is that a 10% increase is ideal. You then stay at that level until it's easy then increase again.
JJ

01/12/2012 at 15:25

Minus 5 degrees forecast for tonight, so we'll probably be breaking the ice in the 2 streams we have to run through in tomorrow's race. The promised ankle deep mud will almost certainly be rock hard, making the going tricky, to say the least. 

01/12/2012 at 16:47

Evening all,

Was out all day yesterday doing fund-raising stuff and today has been a mad whirl too.  Did a very chilly 7 miles first thing and was glad I'd worn my tights!  My breathing was very laboured on the hills and I've got an irritating dry cough.  Stupid asthma.

Columba and Sarnie, details of my 2013 challenge are here - http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/extremeknittingredhead  My base weekly mileage has been around 30 miles a week for several years now and I've rarely slipped below 1500 miles a year since 2006 (even allowing for injury time and recovery weeks).  I don't know how I'll get on next year but I'll give it my best shot 

TE, take care tomorrow as the rutted tracks will be a nightmare.  Better to slow down than turn an ankle.

Have a lovely weekend everyone and take care on the slippery surfaces.  I'm planning 10 miles tomorrow.

Edited: 01/12/2012 at 16:49
01/12/2012 at 20:57

Red, I have read your website and think what you are planning is quite awesome.

(BTW, under your heading "The Streak" you have a reference to 2012, which I think should be 2013?)

TE - breaking the ice on streams, and ankle-deep frozen ruts... DO be careful!

Didn't run today. Intend to, tomorrow, but may have to wait until midday to allow the frost to thaw. I'm not emulating TE.

JJ - maybe it'll turn out to be the same hairdresser?

01/12/2012 at 21:07

Didn't run today but got lots of very hard exercise in the garden and walking.

Columba
The thought had occurred to me! Not sure how I check it out though.
JJ

01/12/2012 at 21:09

Red, your challenges are certainly very hard core, but please think of your own health as well. Don't push yourself beyond your limits and end up injured. I'm sure you know your capabilities and don't need anyone else advising you what you can and can't do. I'm sure that those of us on here will be encouraging you all the way. Hope your 10 miler goes ok tomorrow.

I will be careful tomorrow and run within myself. Thankfully, I will not be driving, as we have a car share, so if I do turn an ankle, I won't have to worry about driving home.

01/12/2012 at 21:14

Columba, our posts crossed. I will be careful and if necessary will walk at times. I am now at the age where it doesn't pay to take risks. I would hate to fall over into the icy streams.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/12/2012 at 14:03

Snow arrived during the night but mostly gone now. We are going to take Charly to one of the local Christmas markets this evening, it's always very crowded so a good training lesson. None of our dogs have ever had a problem there, I'm assuming he won't either as he's a very confident llittle dog. Well, not so little any more, we weighed him again yesterday, he's 26 kilos now. Have to know as we have always fed our dogs on the raw diet and amounts are based on weight. Meals are 7% of body weight divided into 80% meat, 20% veg or fruit. Charly particularly likes pears and zucchini with his beef or chicken!

Swam 1600m this morning. 17 non-running days left.

Edited: 02/12/2012 at 14:04
02/12/2012 at 15:34

A bright, sunny and bitterly cold morning for my CC6 race at Janesmoor Pond, Fritham.I was glad that I wasn't driving, as the narrow twisting and turning roads were still very icy, and there were several road closures. I would have got hopelessly lost!

The start area was very professional, with flags for each club, and small tents for kit bags. The marshalls were dressed as Father Christmas's.

The race was 4.83 miles and was a real "old fashioned course," i.e tough. The only "reasonable trail" was a long uphill slog, which brought many down to walking. Thankfully, the two streams were not iced over, and the ankle deep mud, was not frozen. It did mean, however, that we were wading through miles of wet, heavy mud. At about 3 miles, I trod on a hidden fallen branch, which sprung up and bashed me on the right shin. I completed the race with blood running into my trail shoe. I was very pleased with my race time of 41.42, an average of 8.38. There are usually around 180 runners in this race series, and I believe I came 46th. Hopefully, the results will be available later and I will update accordingly. This was my first cross country race for several years, and has rekindled my appetite. I will, hopefully, enter the next race, which is in January.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.