'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,001 to 162,020 of 167,196 messages
02/12/2012 at 16:44

Evening all,

TE, WOWeeeee, that's an awesome (said in an American accent) time!  It sounded really tough.  Hope your shin is OK.  Thanks for you concern about my challenge.  I think it's doable at 5.5 and 5.6k a day - I'd considered making it miles rather than ks to begin with but decided that was a recipe for disaster.  I still can't believe how fast you were over such difficult terrain 

Columba, thanks for noticing my error (now corrected).  It's amazing that I've missed it given the number of times I've edited the page.  Proof-reading can be hard work.

IW, I've got s very vivid image of Charly scoffing pears and zucchini now   17 days is no time at all!

My 10 miles were quite challenging this morning as it seems that very cold weather takes my breath away.  Now that is really tiresome!  When I started out I sounded like Darth Vader but after about 3 miles it settled down to gentle wheezing which was less irritating.  I took the uphills at a snail's pace and then put on a spurt on the downhills to make up for it.  The irony is that my pace was much quicker than usual which I find bizarre.

Edited: 02/12/2012 at 16:46
02/12/2012 at 17:19

hi everyone

terence,                                                                                                                 well done hun it sounds like it was hard but fun and your time is brill, hope your shin is ok, make sure you keep it clean, i am seriously thinking of doing off road trail but i need to get a lot fitter first,

bionic, 1600m is a good workout, are you recovering from an injury?, i have returned to swimming but am only able to do a few lengths, need to get the breathing sorted,

the weather was fantastic this morning, very cold and icy but the sun was shinning, my aim was to do a gentle 6 mile but ended up doing 9 miles instead, now im not sure if it was the weather or the training in the week but i found it very easy, 

got tomorrow off so am gonna enjoy a glass or 2 of wine this evening

02/12/2012 at 17:49

'lo
Ran a decent 5 miles this morning, all off road. Some surfaces were quite hard, others had mud with an ice crunch on the surface.

TE
Good result in the XC. Shame about the leg damage but occasional cuts and bruises go with the territory. I am very fond of XC. There always seems to be less pressure than road racing.

sarnie
If you can run 9 miles without difficulty you may need to re-assess your training.

IW
Do you think Charly would invite me to dinner?
JJ

02/12/2012 at 17:55

Red, thanks for your praise of my race time I really did give it my best shot, as I used to love cross country, and it all came back to me. I also found the cold took my breath away in the first couple of miles. My lungs were really burning, and many other runners said the same thing. I've got the cross country bug again now, and am looking forward to the club 10k handicap race in the forest later this month. Not really a cross country, more of a trail, but still off road.

Sarnie,thanks. I was really pleased with my time, but it was a real slog. Having said that however, I wish it was just a bit further, as I was rapidly closing on 2 club mates at the finish. My shin appears to be ok. I cleaned the wound thoroughly in the bath, and treated it with TCP and applied an elastoplast. Well done on your 9 miler.

I forgot to mention before that the Race Director gave a moving tribute to one of our runners who died a few days ago, shortly after his 80th birthday. He had been a regular at all the cross country and road races over the years, and was a Marshall at our CC6 a couple of weeks ago. He called for a one minute silence as a mark of respect, which was followed by spontaneous applause.

02/12/2012 at 18:42

TE - ouch to the shin damage, but sounds as though you enjoyed the race nevertheless. (are you up-to-date with anti-tetanus jabs? - sorry to sound like an anxious mother hen, must be the long-term effect of having brought up 5 children).

BIW - are the zucchini and pears raw, as well as the meat? Your dogs are obviously living a really healthy life. There seems to be something a bit decadent about feeding dogs and cats on cooked food, although they clearly like it. 

I see you're counting the days!

Red - I proof-read for a (dyslexic) friend of mine who produces a newsletter several times a year. I read it with intense care, correcting as I go along, then read it again. And still when it comes out I see things I've missed.

Well done on first day of streak.

Ran 7 miles today, - but not until the early morning frost had thawed.

02/12/2012 at 18:45

TE - meant to say - if that 80-year-old runner was marshalling only a couple of weeks ago, his death was clearly a sudden event rather than "after a long illness". A good way to go, but upsetting for those left behind.

02/12/2012 at 20:28

TE
Shame about the death of your club colleague but I assume he hadn't been suffering and clearly was enjoying life. Can't ask for much more really.

columba
Useful miles. I guess it included hills.
JJ

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/12/2012 at 20:53

Columba - yes indeed, all their food is raw. Everyone at our dog club uses the raw diet too. All our pups have grown up on chicken necks, everyone thinks you can't feed chicken bones to dogs but that's wrong - if they are cooked you can't because the water has all been removed and thenthe bones splinter. Raw bones are fine.

Sarnie - I am a triathlete, recovering from a hip replacement op, I was told not to run for 6 months after the op, that was on 20 June.

JJ - you wouldn't stand a chance, the dogs scoff their food in less than a minute!

02/12/2012 at 20:56

The club colleague had had a minor stroke a few weeks before and had appeared to make a complete recovery. I think he had raced after this, and as I said above, marshalled a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, he had a more severe stroke whilst on a training run, from which he never recovered. I didn't know him, although I saw him whilst marshalling, and believe he was fit and healthy until his first stroke. It was certainly the way he would have wanted to go, rather than linger on unable to run.

Columba, I can't remember the last time I had an anti-tetanus jab, but had one the last time I gashed the other shin on some barbed wire. I will keep an eye on it, and if I feel unwell, will see the Dr. to see if he recommends another. Well done on your run.

I was 3rd in the 60-70 age category out of 9. I don't know the ages of the two ahead of me, they could be under, or over 65.

03/12/2012 at 09:18

Ten degrees this morning and steady rain. What a contrast compared with yesterdays sub zero and bright sunshine. Good job the race wasn't today, as the course would have been even more boggy.

03/12/2012 at 10:02

Morning all,

Just distracting myself from the VAT return - how dull!  Off out for a pootle at lunchtime.  It's damp but warmer today.

Columba, my streak doesn't start until April next year.  This is just the start of my build-up training and marathon schedule 

TE, sorry to hear bout your club colleague but it sounds as if he was very fit right until the end.  Excellent placing for you in your age group.

mcs
03/12/2012 at 10:03

Well done with the xcountry and running efforts this weekend. I did an 11 mile route of the Grindleford Gallop this weekend in freezing conditions on Sunday afternoon bootiful views and with about four miles of uphill it slowed me right down.......I reckon I would like to go running or being a marshall at 80 plus respect to the gent........ rain here this morning came to work in the car. Bad day here due to debt and competition. Must do some work. Great site Redhead all the best for 2013.  I am keeping my page going though I am not as good as you on the charity raising monies as you are.......
www.justgiving.com/mark-street

Happy new week all..

03/12/2012 at 11:41

BIW, we always think the Germans are supert efficient, so interesting that snowfalls may catch them out.

Red, you do manage impressive mileage. I have managed to pass 1000 miles for the last 4 years, and hope to make it by the skin of my teeth this year (84 to go, which should be doable).

Sarnie, in many ways, off-road is easier - less stress on the joints, so do give it a go. Like TE, I live in the New Forest, and with all the rain we have had, parts have got very muddy, but one of the benefits I've found of running with a club is that I have got to know lots of routes on gravel trails, which are fine even after the rain. I couldn't get out with the club on Friday, as we had the grandsons over. Ran just over 5 miles on Saturday, and 7.6 yesterday though, so December is off to a reasonable start.

Well done on the CC6, TE. I was thinking of going, but OH needed to decide on flooring for the Conservatory, so I went to look at it with him, and ran later. Sad about your member who died - I saw him mentioned on the web-site. Great that he remained so active until a couple of weeks ago though, and what a fitting tribute to remember him at the CC6.

Good long run mcs.

03/12/2012 at 14:52

No running today. Tight right adductor.

Chairing a meeting this evening.
JJ

03/12/2012 at 15:38

Hope you enjoy meeting your chair JJ 

I had a jolly good pootle at lunchtime and got home just before the rain came lashing down.  5 miles in total with 3 faster ones in the middle.

03/12/2012 at 20:28

Been swimming.

Should be  running club run tomorrow evening but shall be in Aberystwyth working during the day and unsure whether I'll be back in time.

03/12/2012 at 21:07

A rest day today, and spent lots of money on second class postage stamps and Christmas Cards.

04/12/2012 at 00:23

I did the mini santa dash with the grandson on Sunday. He really enjoyed it and walking around afterwards with the medal and the race number on he told anyone who asked  that he had won the race. I only worked it out the next day that, at 4, the meaning of winning is lining up, running all the way round and finishing and nothing to do with position. It was a good day running with the son and the grandson and only one of us runners has to pay bus fare.

Somehow  we managed to tangle our feet on ths first corner and both ended up on the tarmac so I will give the skinned knees and wrenched back till wednesday before running again.

Today at about 2:00 the sun came out here and briefly it felt like spring. It was nice but did not last.

mcs
04/12/2012 at 09:01

Chucked it down all night here and got nicely soaked running to work.......felt easy this morning running on the flat after SUndays hilly efforts. Derek sounds like you had fun with the family.

04/12/2012 at 10:44

Glad grandson enjoyed himself, Derek, but a shame about the skinned knees.

Bright and dry at the moment here, mcs, and we stayed dry last night.

Club run was a 'meet and great' where you get paired up with another runner (in theory, the fastest there is paired with the slowest, 2nd fastest with 2nd slowest etc. but a lot of people inadvertantly or intenionally pus themselves in the wrong order!) You then run round a block of about a kilometre until you meet your partmner, then turn and run back, hopefully getting back to the start at the same time. There were recoveries when we got back to the start, but pleased that my moving pace for 3 miles was 8:39, 8:34 & 8:56.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.