'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,101 to 162,120 of 166,790 messages
12/12/2012 at 21:51

Columba
Yes!

Redhead
You are spot on with the rubus .It took about 3 years before it started putting up decent new stems. It earns its keep with the lovely white stems in winter. The bedding in that pic is very immature. The aeonium is Schwarzkopf. Cuttings root very easily so it makes cheap and effective additions to pots and bedding schemes.
JJ

13/12/2012 at 09:12

Morning all,

Frosty but beautiful this morning.  Treddy interval run at lunchtime.  I'm in panic mode trying to finish my Xmas tree decorations for the church.

JJ, thought so.  Mine it still sprawling along the ground, although the leaves are gorgeous.  I placed it to be backlit in winter, near some dogwoods, so I'm hoping it will look pretty in a couple of years.  I have Schwarzkopf myself, some big old plants and lots of cutting that I take each year.  I'm hoping the older ones will flower eventually, as do the ones at Great Dixter, as they are an acid yellow and look amazing against the dark foliage.

Sarnie, at least the cast is off which must feel better.  Take care all the same.

mcs
13/12/2012 at 12:57

Had a five mile hilly cross country to work this morning and boy cold here minus six or seven as I came in, the river was steaming as I came over the bridge in Bakewell...... office is just about got up to 22.......just put up a bird feeder on the office window to feed the bluetits which are gathering.

13/12/2012 at 14:39

-6?  Yikes!  We were only on -3 when I fed the neddies.

Intervals done. 1 mile warm-up then .2, .3, .4, .5, .4, .3, .2 @8.5 min miling with .1 recs then 1 mile cool-down 

13/12/2012 at 16:53

It's been slightly warmer today and was zero first thing. It is now one degree and forecast up to 11 degrees tomorrow. I think our hilly circuit session will be ok this evening, as the ground isn't icy.

Red, a good session, you seem to be getting quicker

13/12/2012 at 17:15

-3 first thing here, but -1 by the middle of the day, which is when I went out to run 7 miles. Nothing spectacular, just through town and back again, keeping to gritted roads and pavements. I'm aiming to run 700 miles in the year, and now have only 25 to go so barring accidents or other unforseable circumstances I should manage it. 

13/12/2012 at 20:10

4C here and nearly mid-evening. Must run early tomorrow.

Redhead
Good pace for those reps. More needed and regularly.
Never seen Schwarzcopf in flower. Some of mine are years old so what's lacking?

Columba
Always nice to meet targets. Well done.
JJ

13/12/2012 at 20:16

JJ, more reps?  I'm aiming to do one session a week, is that enough?  I'll have to ask about the aeoniums next time I'm near Great Dixter.

Columba, well done on nearly hitting your target 

13/12/2012 at 21:29

Redhead
One session a week is fine but it's the consistency that's important. Remember it takes 6 to 8 weeks for an upgrade in training to take effect.
JJ

mcs
14/12/2012 at 08:31

Stepped out of the door this am and its like an ice rink everywhere here. Rain on top of ice!!!  Managed to skate to work slowly on the trail trying to run on grass concrete where I could horrible morning still dark. BE CAREFUL out there folks.

14/12/2012 at 09:27

mcs - oops! Shan't be going anywhere, except round the corner to the post box. Raining hard here. 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
14/12/2012 at 11:14

We had ice rain overnight too, nasty this morning but the winter road crews got it sorted quite quickly.

JJ -  snap! I too have been to the dentist and he found nothing that needs work. Result.

14/12/2012 at 11:18

Last night's training session was the toughest yet. We did 4 hilly circuits of 0.71 mile, with short walk "recoveries" between circuits. The circuit started with a steep downhill, turning sharp right at the bottom, onto a straight, slightly downhill stretch, then right onto a very steep uphill. At the top of the hill we turned left, continuing uphill, and then right onto a slightly down hill straight stretch to the finish. I ran with a colleaugue of similar ability, and we pushed each other hard on each circuit. Our lungs were nearly bursting, especially on the uphill, and our legs protesting. Splits were :- 5.09, 5.21, 5.19 and 5.20. The first was obviously too quick, 7.20 pace, but the next 3 were consistent. Our total mileage was 6.84.

No ice here today, but heavy rain and 40 mph winds forecast. The temperature is 8 degrees at the moment.

mcs
14/12/2012 at 11:27

Dentist too, year 11 no treatment so very happy too!!!  Does it take that long for training to benefit you really?? So really a 16 week program of training is way to short really......or am I being simplistic.  Think the program I am using is a touch easy. I put in my times for the half I did in September on the RW Ultimate Schedules and race date and moderate training and the mileage per week is only in the late 20s and early 30s at the peak.......
TE sounds like a tough session well done.

14/12/2012 at 14:49

Out for a short run this morning, 3.9 miles, just as dawn was breaking. The rain started as I arrived back at the front door. Excellent timing.

MrsJJ is out all day today and most of this evening. I need to hire a chef.
An expensive scooter was delivered this morning. I hope it's not my Christmas present from MrsJJ.

mcs
A 16 week programme for a specific race time works only if you have previously brought your fitness level up to the required level to cope. As an extreme example, you can't go from running 10 miles a week very slowly to racing a 1:20 half marathon 16 weeks later using a training schedule for that time.
However, you can use a non-specific schedule but do the sessions at a pace or distance that is appropriate for your fitness level, For instance, if it says do 8 x 400m fast I might do them at 1:40 but Mo Farah would do them in 55 secs each.

30 miles a week can get you a very quick 1/2m if the training is of high quality. I'm not a fan of running dozens of long runs to build endurance. Endurance can come from, say, 6 mile tempo runs or longish hill reps, or maybe 10 miles at a steadily increasing pace.
JJ

14/12/2012 at 15:35

Afternoon all,

Oh boy we've had a change of weather here - torrential rain and gale-force winds!  Thankfully I wasn't running today.  

Spent hours putting up my tree in the church then my car got stuck in mud on the way home and I had to be pulled out by a tractor - great fun!  We were supposed to be going out tomorrow for a Christmas treat but Mike has to work so I shall have to go and help out in the church instead.  I've already been asked if I'll do a crochet masterclass in aid of the church as people were admiring my little snowflakes.  I think that could be good fun as i enjoy sharing my skills with others 

TE, your session sounded very tough.

JJ, is it a mobility scooter? 

14/12/2012 at 19:19

If it is I will be round and carry you off on the pillion to a beach in  Bermuda - or maybe Margate.
JJ

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
15/12/2012 at 10:44

John and I were on the beach in Margate in July after his Channel swim, I enjoyed swimming in the sea there, much nicer than in Dover.

Change of weather here too, the snow's all gone and temp has climbed to 9c, the weathermen say very little chance of a white Christmas yet again.

Treated myself to a new hair do this morning and some festive red highlights. Tonight we're having the dog club annual Christmas party - no, not on the training fields, we have a proper Gasthaus and the dogs are not invited!

Only 4 more non-running days!

Edited: 15/12/2012 at 10:46
15/12/2012 at 11:10

Last  night was the running club's Xmas Dinner, with live music. It was a great evening and we were dancing until, nearly midnight. Us oldies still know how to enjoy ourselves.

Looking forward now to the forest 10k handicap on Sunday, with no watches, Garmins or k markers. Should be fun. Many will be running in fancy dress and there will be prizes for the best fancy dress, the runner getting closest to their anticipated time, and possibly one for the runner furthest off their predicted time.

15/12/2012 at 15:40

TE
So you lived to tell the tale!

IW
Have a great time. No dancing on the table please.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.