'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,121 to 162,140 of 167,305 messages
15/12/2012 at 18:38

JJ, yes I survived. It's amazing how different everone looked "dressed up to the nines!" I've now got a blister under each big toe through dancing too energetically.

BIW, hope you have a great party this evening.

15/12/2012 at 22:27

TE - "Us oldies still know how to enjoy ourselves." We know better than anyone cos we've had years more practice at it! What fancy dress did you wear?

Pouring with rain here in the early morning when I had to get up and go to Aberystwyth for a half-day's work (don't usually go on a Saturday but this was an exception). Not so wet in Aber and the sun even gleamed out briefly from time to time.

16/12/2012 at 08:07

Columba, nobody wore fancy dress at the dinner. Us men wore our best suits, collars and ties, and the ladies lovely dresses and heels. The average age of our club members is 50, and we still think we are teenagers.

It's 5 degrees here at the moment, a big contrast with our recent cross country race when it was below freezing. It's not raining at the moment, but showers are forecast. Will be setting off shortly for our forest trail handicap 10k race.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
16/12/2012 at 09:00

No table dancing, JJ! Great food & music, conversation and lots of laughter with good folks. Bottles of bubbly to finish it off. Great party.

16/12/2012 at 09:58

Morning everyone,

am off for a gentle 10 miler this morning, gonna try a new route around villages and country lanes, so if you don't hear from today its because i have got lost AGAIN

16/12/2012 at 15:34

Afternoon peeps,

10 hilly miles for me this morning with only a couple of probs with my breathing on the really steep bits.  Happy with that.  In other news, my little tree won the Christmas tree festival - piccies on my blog if you'd like a look http://extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.co.uk/  

Sounds as if TE and IW have had super parties 

Sarnie, hope you didn't get lost!

JJ, Margate please - I still haven't been to the Turner Contemporary 

Edited: 16/12/2012 at 15:36
16/12/2012 at 15:50

Our handicap race went really well. The weather was perfect, although it belted down with rain for about 5 minutes, when I was on the third circuit. I believe there were about 25 club runners, and some of the outfits were superb. There was a bride and groom with the bride wearing a full train and the groom in top hat and tails. The 10k was 4 circuits entirely on trails, and started off uphill. There were uphills and downs and very little level ground. I put my estimated time as 49 minutes, and the results will be on our web site later. I think I overtook all those that started ahead of me, and was only overtaken in the last 200 metres or so, by the club's fastest runner. He said he saw me really sprinting up the final hill, and when he got to the top couldn't see me. He upped his pace and saw me on the finishing straight and passed me. This encouraged me to dig in to the finish.

We had mince pies and hot mulled wine at the finish, which went down very well, as it felt cold once we had finished racing. I have now really got the racing bug, as I gave it all my best, right from the start, and providing that I am able to stay injury free, hope to improve this years race times considerably next year. 

16/12/2012 at 16:05

Red, our posts crossed, yet again. Yes our party went really well, and I was surprised that I hadn't lost "my dancing touch."  The only thing was, that I ended up with blisters under each big toe, which could have been a problem in todays race. I actually got a stone in my shoe under my big left toe during the third circuit, but thankfully, it moved away and didn't bother me for the rest of the race. I hope to be able to give more details of the race later, when they are published on our web.

Well done on your winning the Christmas Tree Festival.

Sarnie, if you did get lost, hope you were able to find your way home eventually.

On Tuesday, we are incorporating a stop at a Rest Home during our club run, to sing carols to the residents. We will have song sheets, so I will have to remember my glasses. Looking forwards to SPOTY  this evening, and expect Bradley Wiggins to win, although I hope Jessica Ennis does.

16/12/2012 at 16:29

Wiggo for me, winning TdF AND Olympic gold just has to outrank all the other very worthy nominees. 

16/12/2012 at 16:54

TE - what I meant to say was, what fancy dress did you wear for the 10k handicap? - but you haven't mentioned one, so probably you didn't.

Sarnie - that's my speciality - exploring somewhere new and getting lost!

4.8 miles this afternoon; felt hard, but shouldn't have, as conditions were perfect.

Off to look at Red's Christmas tree on her blog.

16/12/2012 at 18:52

Columba, no I didn't wear fancy dress for the 10k handicap.

17/12/2012 at 07:16

Morning all,

No running today but plenty of time for panic as I've still got to knit a hat/scarf thingy for my friend and get it posted in time for Christmas 

TE, I'm disappointed you didn't get dressed up - I could have lent you a snazzy little Ms Santa number 

17/12/2012 at 10:53

We would have wanted a photo of that!

17/12/2012 at 14:47

Red and Columba, I don't think that I would have liked a photo of me dressed as Mrs Christmas to be posted on here

Race results aren't available yet, and I am eager to see what time I ran. I had thought that where I was used to looking at my Garmin during races to check pace and distance, I would automatically keep looking at my empty wrist. However, to my surprise, I didn't once think about looking. I listened to JJ's advice a week or two ago, to go out hard, and maintain to the finish.

A nice bright morning today, and I ran 5.75 miles at recovery pace.

17/12/2012 at 19:09

The handicap results are now out and my finish time was 48.00, one minute quicker than my predicted time. I was second finisher and 16th out of 39 finishers time wise.

17/12/2012 at 22:17

No running for a couple of days. Legs too stiff after a lot of gardening.

TE
Excellent race. Nice to beat the handicapper.

Redhead
Get out for a 5 miler and you'll easily knit a hat.
Margate's a long way. I shall need somewhere to charge my batteries.

sarnie
Are you back yet?

IW
Sounds like hangover territory.
Ready for that run?
JJ

17/12/2012 at 22:28

Widdley Braggins was the right result for SPotY. Having been a racing cyclist I know a bit about what he had to do to win the TdeF and an Olympic gold. They are as different as it gets. It's a bit like running 10 very fast marathons over a variety of courses in a few weeks against the world's best then 6 weeks later winning the Olympic track  5k or 10k.
That's the nearest comparison I can think of.
JJ

Edited: 17/12/2012 at 22:28
18/12/2012 at 00:42

I have been reading up more about xcountry shoes. It started with had to be spikes and then trail shoes were an option. Then I found fell shoes, orienteering shoes, ordinary road shoes and football boots. Then there was resoling road shoe, putting spikes into road shoes or using things that attach to road shoes.Then, if it was spikes, it was which size spikes or, if it was road shoes, what make of road shoes. Then it was what course are you running and then it became what are the conditions on the day for the course you are running

I settled for a cheap pair of trail shoes on the grounds that if they dont work, not too much lost.

The club put something up about the national cross country championships in February. Funny thing is that years ago, I would have said way above my standard but now when much slower I think it could be fun and a good thing to say I have done. A long time ago when I was first thinking of trying running, someone said you wont be first and you wont be last. He was right on the first but I think this could be my chance to prove him wrong on the second.

18/12/2012 at 11:41

JJ - I'm ready as can be!

18/12/2012 at 16:51

Looking forward to tonights club run, where we will be stopping off at an old folks rest home to sing carols. I don't know which ones we will sing, but we will have song sheets, so will know the words, and hopefully the tunes.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.