'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,141 to 162,160 of 166,646 messages
18/12/2012 at 21:08

Evening all,

Tired and need to sleep soon.  Intervals first thing, then to Brighton for an interview then Mike and I had a potter around the shops, had lunch and I've been busy doing Christmassy stuff since we got back 

IW, how many days left now?  I think we should all do a virtual run with you for support.

19/12/2012 at 09:25

Last nights "tinsel run" was great fun and very rewarding. Most of us wore Santa Hats, and many also wore tinsel. We arrived at the Rest Home and were asked to remove our trainers before going in. All the ladies were sat in the lounge and gave us a big cheer as we went in. We had only intended singing 3 or 4 carols, but they kept asking for more. We must have sung 6 or 7 and also happy birthday to one of the ladies. When we had finished, one of the ladies stood up and thanked us all for such a lovely evening. We shook hands with them all on the way out, wishing them a merry christmas. The smiles on their faces made it all worth well.

It was very hot in the Home, and when we went outside to minus 2 deg. and put on our trainers, we felt really cold. We then ran on to one of the runners houses for wine, hot snacks and more carols. A really great evening and hopefully helped to contribute to the Rest Home Residents having a happy christmas

mcs
19/12/2012 at 09:27

18 miles done in two days so having a rest day today.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
19/12/2012 at 11:54

Redhead, tomorrow is my first day back to running.

19/12/2012 at 12:34

TE - what a lovely evening! The Rest Home residents are probably more used to having groups of children come in to sing carols to them; a group of runners must have been quite a change!

BIW, I will be thinking of you. I hope you get suitable weather.

Approx 5 miles with the running club last night. Temperatures (having been relatively kind during the day) were in process of dropping below freezing, and some of the pavements turned out to be slippery, so we were running in the roads when we could. We went round town, looking at the lights. And I have now become an official club member, and been give a club T-shirt!  - It'll have to get a lot warmer before I wear it.

19/12/2012 at 19:28

Columba, yes it was a lovely evening and I hope it made the Rest Home residents feel "more Christmassy." Luckily, although below freezing, our pavements weren't icy. Congratulatons on becoming an official club member, and I hope you wear your club T Shirt with pride in races. You can wear it over warmer tops during the cold weather.

Rained all day today, and I just did a steady 5 miles on roads, working hard uphills. Tomorrow night is hill reps. which I imagine will be held in pouring heavy rain.

19/12/2012 at 19:43

Supposed to rain all day tomorrow they say!

19/12/2012 at 21:49

TE
Very public spirited of you and your club.

Columba
Have a great time with your new club.

IW
Rain forecast for this neck of the woods too - all tonight and most of tomorrow.
JJ

20/12/2012 at 11:40

JJ, thanks. The club entertain the old folks every Christmas, and it is very humbling to be able to sing to them, and help to brighten up their day.

Amber weather warning today, and many of the roads here are flooded and closed to traffic. The train service has been disrupted, and the local radio station has said that the rain is having the same effect as heavy snow.

A hill rep. session is scheduled for this evening, so we are in for a soaking.

mcs
20/12/2012 at 13:21

Just done an interval session in driving rain and wind tough!!! One mile uphill over 500 feet straight up took me 10.37 then 7.16-7.16-7.42-7.17 so dead now time for lunch me thinks........

20/12/2012 at 16:34

Afternoon all,

5 mile tempo run on the treddy for me - weather too wild outside!

TE, the old folks will; have appreciated that enormously.  Many people don't get any visitors at all so you will have brightened their day 

Columba, congratulations!

IW, how was your run?

20/12/2012 at 17:14

I set out running in light rain today, - didn't wear my peaked cap to keep the rain off, as it wasn't heavy enough to justify it and I don't like wearing things on my head - and of course after the first mile and a half it was pelting down. Three times I had to stop and wipe my glasses as I couldn't see a thing. Soaked to the skin by the time I got home.  4.8 miles done, - just ticking over for the rest of 2012, trying to reach the 700 miles, - only 11 to go now.

20/12/2012 at 17:15

Mark, another good set of mile reps. there, especially in tough conditions.

Red, I felt really emotional seeing all the elderly ladies there, and was so glad that I was able to keep my own Mum at home until right at the end.

The rain has stopped now, so I may be lucky with tonight's session.

20/12/2012 at 18:43

I went for a nice sedate little 2-mile jog in the woods with the dogs - in the snow! All week the weathermen have been saying no chance of any more snow for Christmas but it started to snow just as I left work at 3pm and it hasn't stopped yet....very fine flakes though, and wet.

I loved my "run"!

20/12/2012 at 19:46

Hoorah for the return of IW! 

20/12/2012 at 21:19

Columba
Be positive; at least you got soaked only once.

IW
Great news! Welcome back.

mcs
Impressive set of reps. You deserve a rest after that lot.

JJ

Edited: 20/12/2012 at 21:21
20/12/2012 at 22:29

BIW, welcome back to the world of running.

The rain held off for our hill session this evening. I will do a short write up tomorrow, as I'm too tired now, after a tough session.

21/12/2012 at 11:57

Thanks everyone - I am so pleased my waiting time is over.

21/12/2012 at 12:27

BIW - hooray for the 2 miles, - the first of many!

21/12/2012 at 15:33

Bright and sunny so far today with no rain. I did a recovery pace 4 miles to ease the aching legs. Last night we covered 7.33 miles, including a tough hill session. The first set was 30, 60 and 90 seconds, and the next three 30, 60 and 60 seconds.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.