'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,201 to 162,220 of 166,609 messages
30/12/2012 at 15:52

Matsmum, well done getting out running and enjoying it! Running should be enjoyable, and if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't still be running. I have been running for about 35 years now, and still get the same pleasure from it as when I first started.

Red, I can't run or race on an empty stomach. I need some food inside me to give enough energy to keep me going. I have recently read a book about Charlie Spedding entitled "From Last to First," and he only had a slice of toast and a small glass of water before his marathons. That was in the days before sports drinks and gels etc.

The rain hasn't reached here yet, and I ran an easy pace 8 miles on road this morning. Those 5 days non running certainly seem to have been beneficial, as I was cruising at sub 9.30 pace, with an average of 9.25. A few weeks ago, I would be working hard to achieve that.

30/12/2012 at 16:19

Hello and welcome, Matsmum. You won't be getting any advice from me on running a marathon, 'cos I've never run one. Have run two half-marathons, and at the end of each I wondered how on earth people can go on and do the same amount again.

That's very very sad about your son. We see our children arrive; we don't expect to see them leave ahead of us. You say you have a large family, - how many sons and daughters have you?

As far as posh daughters and untidy sons are concerned, I think the inclinations of the husband / wife (if any) have also to be considered. I think my elder daughter takes after me in being not particularly tidy, and it is her husband who ensures that the house is looking spick-and-span.  

I came home from London with a niggly sore throat. It can't seem to decide whether it's going to turn into something or not. I went for a short run yesterday and really didn't feel good, so today prescribed for myself an afternoon on the settee with a large glass of wine.  

Me, I can't do more than a short run if starting before breakfast. However, a banana will keep me going for an hour or so.

30/12/2012 at 17:05

Hello Columba, and thank you for your welcome.

Actually I have finished each half wondering how on earth people manage to do the same again as well. That doesn't bode too well for me, does it!

I have 3 daughters and 3 sons. They all live very close so I see them all the time, well apart from Matthew ofcourse, who is in my heart, not my vision. And 10 grandchildren, aged from 2 to 17. I have a large and very shabby home which we all love. How about you?

About eating before a run - I have a banana, and then take dried fruit with me. And when I plan to be out for ages I take marzipan because I can't stand those gel things. Instead of water I take skimmed milk which somebody told me was better for hydration. At my time of life I take all the advice I can!

Hope you feel better soon. Take it easy - there are some quite nasty bugs doing the rounds at the moment.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
30/12/2012 at 20:04

Welcome Matsmum! I am a "forcibly retired" marathoner, been running more than 50 years and have finished 45 marathons, but had to have a hip replacement in June. Hence my name - the new joint is titanium. My surgeon says I can't do more than a half-marathon now, so I'll have to stick to shorter races from now on - I have to say, I hate 10km with a passion, it's my least favourite distance.

Sunday swim this morning with John - did 1600m to his 2000m, but I did get in the water a good few minutes before him!

30/12/2012 at 20:06

I shall run tomorrow and of course on NY Day!

30/12/2012 at 21:09

Bionic Ironwolf, you are my hero!  I feel such a wimp, but I keep telling myself that the journey of a thousand miles (or in this case 26.2) begins with but a single step.

30/12/2012 at 22:09

Matsmum
I didn't start running until I was 55 and that was 17 years ago but I did other sporting things all my life. I ran my marathon PB of 3:53 at age 65 so there's hope for you yet!
I am  about to start a bit of a comeback after nearly a year of not running very much

If you run any race distance flat out you couldn't do an immediate repeat performance so don't look on a marathon as 2 x 13.1 miles. It's 1 x 26.2 miles and you pace it accordingly.
If you are training 3 days a week don't worry about recovery. Go for quality training and you can do a perfectly respectable marathon run. My preference for a weekly  training schedule would be:-
One run of 6 miles starting nice and steadily and getting slightly faster each mile.
One run of 1 mile warm up then 4 miles slightly slower than 10k pace. One mile warm down.
One long run each week building up to around 13 - 15 miles but including 2 x 18 milers. The first 18 miler should be 7 weeks before the marathon and the second one should be 3 weeks before the marathon.

Choose moderately hilly routes or bits of off road  if you can. You will build added leg strength.

We can provide you with tons of advice on here and if you want to run any questions by me via email I don't mind.
JJ

31/12/2012 at 09:15

It's a horrible dark, wet windy morning, the type that makes you feel you would rather stay indoors than go out for a run. Will set off later, after a visit to the shops. Most will be closed tomorrow.

31/12/2012 at 10:01

My sore throat has resolved itself into a cold, and as the weather here is as described by TE I shall be staying in (apart from necessary trip to shops).

Matsmum - no wonder you're so busy! - I have 5; boy, girl, boy, boy, girl. And one grandchild, aged 15 months, via the elder girl. All but the youngest live in London (the youngest is in Bristol) so I go there several times a year.

31/12/2012 at 12:36

Afternoon all,

Vile day here too!

I'm taking a break from tradition and not running on the last day of one year and the first of the next so today is a rest day.  Tomorrow will be a tempo run and the start of my full-on training for 2013.  Bring it on! 

Columba, oh dear.  Take good care of yourself please.

31/12/2012 at 14:55

Columba, hope your cold soon clears up.

Red, good luck with all your races and running 7 days a week in 2013.

Ran 4 miles fartlek this morning. I saw 4 other runners, which was very unusual, especially in this vile weather.

A very happy and prosperous New Year to you all.

31/12/2012 at 19:40

Best wishes to everyone for a problem-free 2013. Have a great time this evening if you're celebrating and sleep well if you're not.

TE
Thanks.
JJ

31/12/2012 at 20:17

Brilliant start to the day -  2 mile walk along the beach to see the colony of seals that have taken up residence in the bay. They breed at this time of year and the cubs are so cute. Then all the family round for a curry party .They are not staying to see the new year in though- and I won't be staying up either!

JJ - thank you for the advice and I will definitely take it up. I will do the first 6 miles tomorrow.

Happy New Year everyone. I hope that 2013 brings you all you could wish for.

31/12/2012 at 20:20

We went as usual to the NYE run, John ran the 10km with Nemo, as both Charly and I can't do that yet we did the 5km Nordic Walking, I honestly thought it would take us about an hour but was astounded to finish in 41 minutes for 3rd place lady! Anyway, sitting here at the mo with a glass of wine (not my first of the night I have to admit),we plan to stay in with the dogs until midnight because we don't know yet how Charly will react to all the firework noise. He didn't turn a hair at the start gun today so maybe will be ok. Nemo doesn't have a problem with noise, he goes out on the balcony and watches the fireworks! We will go out up the road to our friends after the fireworks end.

Happy New year to everyone and may your sporting wishes all come true. Redhead, I wish you a "guten Rutsch ins NeuJahr".

31/12/2012 at 20:26

Rain stopped mid-afternoon and as my cold seems to be no more than a sniffle I put in a final 2 miles for 2012.  I shan't be staying up late.

Matsmum - how lovely, to have a colony of seals within walking distance! 

BIW - Nordic Walking, that's a brilliant idea as i suppose it puts less of a strain on all the joints involved in walking and running. Had you done it before?

A Happy New Year to you all.

31/12/2012 at 20:36

Yes Columba, I've been doing it all during my recovery time until I was allowed to start running again on 20 December.

Happy New Year!

01/01/2013 at 09:42

A lovely bright sunny morning to start off the New Year Let's hope that those heavy rainy days are now behind us.

Didn't stay up to see the new year in, but heard lots of fireworks going off at midnight. There were none of the usual ships hooters, probably because of the weather warning keeping them off Southampton Water..

01/01/2013 at 10:22

Beautiful morning here. Woke up rather jaded after all that curry,Christmas pud, cream and cheesecake.  But that is all SO last year!! 

Did as you suggested, JJ, and did 6 miles. Decided to start at 12.5 (!) and up speed by 30 secs every mile. Actually the first mile was 13, because I didn't feel so good, but after that it was great, and my last mile never crossed 9.4. The whole thing took 1-07 which was my target time. Happy now.

Time to look in the sales for some new trainers, I think. The old faithfuls are looking a bit sad.

Enjoy your day, everyone.  Bionic Ironwolf, are you saying you did 10k in 41 mins??  My God. That is amazing.

01/01/2013 at 12:05

No no no - you read my post wrongly Matsmum! I Nordic Walked 5km in 41 mins. I have never in my life run faster than 46mins for a 10km and that was when I was many many years younger than I am now!

6km run this morning with Nemo, going to do some weights and core work now and maybe even pedal a bit on the bike trainer.

Hope everyone had a brilliant NYE and we wish you a happy, healthy and successful 2013.

01/01/2013 at 15:17

Was quite sunny here this morning and I ran 2 and a bit miles (Garmin has given up so I don't know exactly how far, - must get something done about it).

Matsmum, that sounds like a very good start to the year.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.