'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,221 to 162,240 of 166,627 messages
01/01/2013 at 16:12

Happy New Year everyone!

What a lovely start to the year with beautiful sunshine and  no rain for a change.  Did a tempo run on a hilly route.  Huffed and puffed up the hills then realised I'd not used my inhaler (ooops!) so was very pleased and somewhat surprised to finish my 5.5 miles in 55 minutes 

TE, Nooooooooooo - I'm not doing  a streak for the whole year, just 111 days around my birthday (age before (55) + age after (56) = 111) inbetween my 2 marathons!!!!!  Details on my blog if interested (just click on the link at the top of the page)

IW, excellent walking my dear.  Thanks for the good wishes.  Sadly, my German class didn't continue 'cos only 3 of us wanted to carry on - the others said it was too hard!!!  I'm dipping into a Michel Thomas course occasionally to try not to lose all the stuff I learnt.

Matsmum, how lovely to see seals nearby.

01/01/2013 at 21:29

My little granddaughter who has just had her 14th birthday ran in a 10k race today and did it in 49 minutes! 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/01/2013 at 07:48

Redhead - what a shame.  To explain - a "Guten Rutsch" is what the Germans say to everyone on NYE, it literally means "a good slip or slide", i.e.  into the New Year. Now the greeting is "ein Gutes Neues Jahr" , or simply "Gutes Neues"

02/01/2013 at 07:59

Oh I like "Gutes Neues"!  Thanks IW.  I'm determined not to lose the little I learnt 

Matsmum, wow, that's a very impressive time for her 10k!

Out all day today so taking it as a rest day from running.  Have a lovely day everyone.

02/01/2013 at 10:16

Matsmum, that's a great time for a 14 year old. Looks like she has plenty of potential, provided she keeps it up.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/01/2013 at 11:54

I'm back at work, worse luck, John is off until the 17th! Not got my head on straight yet - I was thinking we were going out to eat with friends tomorrow night, but no, one of them reminded me that today is wednesday,  not tomorrow!

mcs
02/01/2013 at 14:56

Back at work here in Derbyshire too.....hope you all enjoyed a holiday of some sorts.... on the hunt for some fell/trail running shoes...........Salomon Gore Tex or similar seeing as the sale is on! My Inov8s 330 mudclaws are giving me blisters on the heel, I have a heel spur which doesnt help..... Any one got Salomon? Adidas Kandia suggested too though they look heavy.

02/01/2013 at 15:41

Mark, I've got Salomon Pro Plus 5s. My previous pair were Salomon Speedcross 2s.

Ran an easy pace 5 miles this morning.

mcs
02/01/2013 at 15:48

Cheers Terence will try some on asap.

02/01/2013 at 17:18

Well done, Matsmum's grand-daughter!

Didn't run today, - but did get out into the (soggy) garden to plant some daffodil bulbs which should have gone in ages ago and were beginning to sprout hopefully in their paper bag. And speaking of gardens, have a question for Red / JJ or anyone else who may know: my winter jasmine is flowering its socks off, I've never seen it so good (been here nearly 6 years now), - are all winter jasmines doing well this year? Has something about this year's weather suited them? - Or did I just happen to prune it at the optimal time?

02/01/2013 at 17:18

TE, glad you're back out running.

Glad that most of us seem to have been able to see family members over Christmas.

Welcome Matsmum. I too started running (at 50) following a family bereavement (we lost our first grandson to Meningitis) and have kept going once started. I've now been running over eight years, and have completed 6 marathons over that time. The first was London to raise funds for Meningitis Trust, and I've done London twice more. I'm sure you can do it - I managed thr first time after 6 months training, and also on 3 runs a week, and would agree with JJ that the long runs are really important. I think doing them gives you the confidence that it is actually possible! You've certainly made a good start with a progressive 6 mile run 

Having thought I would give marathons a complete miss this year, I have a friend at my running club who has asked if I'd be prepared to do one later in the year as a challenge with her. I'm seriously contemplating Bournemouth on October 6th now, as it's nice and local!

02/01/2013 at 21:18

Diana, thanks. the 5 days not running did me good, and I have come back to it refreshed. I am contemplating the CC6 at Badgers Farm, Winchester on Sunday, but am a bit apprehensive about falling again.

02/01/2013 at 22:47

Cold has gone to my chest but it's getting better. Didn't run yesterday as planned but today I did a few miles of run/walk plus a dog walk and a couple of hours gardening.

Diana
What's the Bournemouth marathon course like?

Columba
I reckon the jasmine is reacting to it not being very cold so far. It thinks Spring is just around the corner .Optimum time for pruning it is to trim it immediately after flowering.

IW
Shame about the work but someone has to keep the world economy ticking over.

Matsmum
Well done on the run. Pace increase could be 10, 15, 20 secs per mile if you wish. You choose whatever  makes the last mile quite hard without getting eyeballs out and gasping.

Grandaughter clearly has a bit of talent. The best way to keep her involved is to make sure she doesn't run flat out yet. She has to enjoy it.
JJ

03/01/2013 at 10:03

Morning all,

I'm busy taking down Christmas decorations here and then I've got to go to the church to take those down too.  It always looks so bare when they come down doesn't it?!

After lunch I shall be doing 7 miles at marathon pace on a route with 2 tough hills where I won't be able to maintain it so will have to make it up on the downhill bits 

Columba, I agree with JJ about the Jasmine.  Ours is flowering too and I think it started about 2 weeks ahead of its usual time.  It's been such a mild winter so far that there are still midges around!

Diana, I still haven't chosen my autumn marathon so would be interested in course details too.

03/01/2013 at 14:41

Red, there is the New Forest Marathon in September, but that is probably too far away from you? It's a lovely course, on a mixture of trails and roads. I got my marathon pb of 3.12.26 there in 1993.

03/01/2013 at 16:34

B.I. -How funny! I shall google Nordic Walking and find out all about it.

Diana D - Thank you for the welcome and encouragement. 6 Marathons - that is impressive. I feel for you about the loss of your grandson. Not only did you have to bear your own heartbreak but also that of his parents. I am sure your determination and achievements will have given them strength also.

JJ - I have done 6 miles today, with the middle 4 taking me 38.8 minutes. Is that a tempo run?  I note that the longest run you suggest is 18 miles. Really? Not 20 or 22 as some people suggest? Will that be long enough?

Grandaughter K was actually too young to enter that 10k. Her father took her because he was running. She had neither number nor chip but after he started she mingled with the crowd of runners and ran unnoticed.....until she passed him a good minute before he crossed the finish line. He clocked 50 minutes so she was definitely faster than that. She has been totally focused since we started in 2009 and dreams of the next Olympics! She is begging to be properly trained so we are looking into it for her.

It looks like you are all doing an Autumn marathon. Wow. 

03/01/2013 at 17:02

Crikey, that was an emotional roller-coaster!  Lots of people who I haven't seen since I did the tree stopped me whilst I was running and said how moved they were by it or that my mum would be very proud (gulp!).  As a result my run turned into a sort of long fartlek session interrupted by hugs and the odd tear or 2.

Matsmum, I disagree about the length of long runs pre marathon.  Brighton will be my 30th marathon and for the last 25 I have made sure I do at least 2 x 20 milers beforehand.  Sometimes I've done 3 but that was because I was doing marathons on consecutive weekends.  It's not about the speed you do them, it's about building endurance which is why time on feet is so very important.  I've never done more than 20 miles in training, even when I was training for my ultra marathons of 35 and 52.4 miles respectively.  All IMHO of course 

03/01/2013 at 17:16

JJ & Red, I've not yet been able to find out the Bournemouth marathon route - there isn't anything on their website yet, and one of the FAQs says "all road closures and consequently the route will be signed off at the end of january and will be available to view on the event information pages from this time." Parts of Bournemouth are quite undulating, but they may have a route along the promenade for quite a bit of it, which would be flat.

Haven't taken all the decorations down here - stage approach. Those emotions still well up don't they Red, even as time passes - sometimes out of the blue, but those nice comments would certainly do it.

TE, I have done the New Forest half, but not the full marathon. Each time I've done it, it has been very warm! I don't like the fact that the road parts aren't closed to traffic, and some drivers are very inconsiderate, but as you say, it is picturesque.

I'm not sure I went as far as 20 miles when training for my first marathon, though I intended to. I didn't have very reliable measuring tools then! Thre is a useful 20 mile race in March quite locally, so that has been a useful one for the Spring marathon. Nothing much on offer over the summer for an autumn marathon preparation.

03/01/2013 at 17:18

If you want to keep an eye on it, JJ & REd, the site isBournemouth Marathon festival but I'll try & remember to post if I spot an update.

03/01/2013 at 18:19

Diana - I don't think I knew about that grandson you mentioned. As Matsmum said, you would be mourning not only the grandson but also feeling for your own child and child-in-law. It hardly bears thinking about.

JJ and Red - thank you for comments on the jasmine. I have noticed midges dancing in the air here, too. Is amazingly mild today, shall have to turn down the dials on the night storage heaters this evening.

I did 20 hill reps this afternoon, in sets of 5 with a short break between each set and the next. And a warm-up and cool-down.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.