'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,241 to 162,260 of 166,611 messages
04/01/2013 at 10:01

Morning all,

No rain again, excellent.  It's so mild too and I've been back in shorts for a few weeks now.  I think the birds are confused as I've noticed the ducks are getting frisky which is a good 3 weeks earlier than usual!

Intervals for me today.

Columba, yikes at your 20 hill reps.  Very impressive.

Diana, thanks for the link.  I'll probably end up doing Beachy Head again as I love it but it would be nice to find something different that isn't too far away.

TE, I did think about the New Forest marathon one year but then I heard about traffic speeding past runners and it put me off.

Matsmum, I forgot to add that for your first marathon it will be fine to do just 1 x 20 miler.  It really is worth doing it as it's a massive confidence booster.  Please don't be tempted to enter a 20 mile race though as you would inevitably run faster and would run the risk of not having recovered fully before VLM.

Right, off to do my intervals 

mcs
04/01/2013 at 10:17

Very warm here too, Jasmine flowering in inlaws garden, birds chirping I think they reckon spring has come. 11 degrees here. Up to 23 miles this week so starting the year off well. Agree with everything Redhead says she is the lady who knows!!

04/01/2013 at 11:16

Lady who knows - please can you advise me on how long my long runs should be.  I take it I just continue doing that progressive run of 6 miles and the other one with the fast 4 miles in the middle?  And then the long run. Should I start at, say, 8 and progress from there each week, or is that not far enough?  Gobsmacked at your amazing record of achievement. Respect, as my son would say.

Back to work next week (sigh).

04/01/2013 at 11:52

The furthest I have run in a marathon build up is 22 miles, and my highest weekly mileage 55.

Last night was very mild, and I was back into shorts again. We had a hilly circuit session, each circuit being 0.32 mile and I ran 5 circuits with 60 seconds recovery between circuits.

Red and Diana, traffic wasn't a problem during last years New Forest Half Marathon, but it could have been the torrential rain that put motorists off. The Isle of Wight Marathon is the worst I have ever run in for traffic. The roads are narrow and twisty, and traffic tends to speed, showing little regard for the runners. It may not be so bad now, as it is held in October, and when I did it several years ago, it was in the summer, when there were many holiday makers on the roads.

mcs
04/01/2013 at 12:24

Furthest for me 22, dont think its worth going longer than that as the risk of injury is great as you mature too!!!

04/01/2013 at 12:43

Matsmum, sorry but I've forgotten which schedule you're following.  Is it the one that came in the VLM magazine?  It should tell you the length of your LSRs each week but as a general rule you increase your mileage by no more than 10% each week.  

For example, my LSR last week was 10 miles, this week will be 12 miles then 13 the week after but then I will take what is known as a 'step-back' week where I reduce the length of my LSR back down to 10 miles.  This allows my body to recover from the increase in training and helps to prevent injury.  So then I will go back to a LSR of 13 miles, do 3 weeks of hard training where I increase my LSRs each week, then 1 week back to 13 miles.

I agree with Mark about the risk of injury as we age.  As this is your first marathon it's really important that you factor in plenty of rest to help your body adjust to the new level of training.

If you could share part of your schedule with us on here then we can have a look and see how it's devised.  Or is it on the VLM website?  If so then give us a link.

Hopefully JJ will be along soon to give more detailed advice.

It can be very confusing when you first start out as you will get so many different opinions!  Eventually though you will find a level of training that suits you best.  Listen to your body and don't push too hard, too soon. 

04/01/2013 at 13:26

Thank you Red. Yes, I am confused! I am not following a schedule.... JJ suggested I did a progressive run of 6 miles, another run of 6 miles with the middle 4 at a 10k pace, and a long run. I really liked the idea because it is so straightforward and I can just go out and do it.  It will be difficult for me to run more than 3 times a week because I run my own business and get up at 5am, but to prepare not to run! ( I enjoy what I do but work does sometimes get in the way....!) When I was checking out training schedules I was beginning to lose sleep over them.  JJ's idea appeals much more.  I can run 10 miles, slowly, so shall I start with that? Sorry to bother you with all these silly questions. I just need to be clear about what I am doing.

04/01/2013 at 14:42

Matsmum, it's no bother at all.  So you need your own tailor-made schedule!  How about starting at 8 or 9 miles this week and then doing gradual increases?  Try writing out a schedule working backwards from the date of VLM.  Give yourself a 3 week taper so you are well rested before the day itself and aim to do your 20 mile LSR 4 weeks beforehand.  If you see it all written down then it will help you to focus.

The important thing that is always stressed for beginner marathoners is not to ramp up the intensity (ie speedwork) and the length of your runs at the same time.  I speak from experience here as for my first marathon I followed a schedule where I ran 4 days a week and it included speedwork alongside the mileage increases.  All that happened was that I got injured!  I did complete my marathon but it was not comfortable and it took me a while to recover afterwards.  For my next one I ignored the speedwork side of it and concentrated on getting used to the higher mileage.  Only after that did I include any sort of speedwork.

I am being very naughty playing on here as I should be doing paperwork but it's boring 

04/01/2013 at 14:43

It is certainly true that as we age, we are more prone to injury. I was 47 when I was doing my highest mileage, and  wouldn't contemplate it now.

mcs
04/01/2013 at 14:55

Did 60 plus miles back in the summer one week but that was a one off effort dont think my legs could take that every week......I have done 25 this week so far and usually do about 25 to 35 but really struggle getting out on the LSR every weekend but just do your best Matsum and three quality runs a week can get you round no problem. Love a schedule printed out on the desk here at work, better than looking at figures and sales targets

04/01/2013 at 21:23

matsmum
The tempo bit was about 9:30 miling and worth about 57 minutes for 10k. Is that quickish for you and were you quite a bit out of breath? If so, it was fine.
It's the combination of types of training not just a couple of long runs that will build the strength to get you round a marathon. Two half marathon races run very fast with 2 weeks between them is better for leg strength than a slow 20 mile run.

10 miles is a very good start point if you can do it comfortably. Do a couple on successive weekends then maybe add a mile (or a half mile) for the next 2 weeks and so on.  Make the long run slow at what's known as "conversation pace". That's the pace at which you can chat to someone while running. Add a touch of quality by increasing the pace a bit for the last 10 minutes. Keeping it simple is
fine at our level. We're not in the business of setting records other than PBs.

Diana
Thanks. I will keep an eye on the website.
JJ

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 21:39
04/01/2013 at 21:54

Thanks Red and JJ.......hooray - I'm sorted!  I worked backwards as you suggested, Red, with a cutback every 4 weeks or so, and JJ, I will start with my first LSR of 10 miles this weekend.  Yes, my middle 4 miles averaged at exactly that pace, 9.30, and yes, I was out of breath but I managed it ok. Thank you everybody.

From your recent post, Red, I assume you have lost your mother recently. If so, I am sorry for your loss. There is nobody who cares for you quite as much as your mum, however old you are.

05/01/2013 at 11:05

Morning all,

What a gloomy day it is here, all dark and drizzly.  I'm just off out for my Saturday pootle - 6 miles with the last 2 a bit quicker.

Matsmum, thanks for your kind words.  My mum died in 2005 after a long battle with vascular dementia, during which time I was her carer.  I was so horrified by what happened to her that after she died I started campaigning for better awareness about dementia and raising money for Alzheimer's Research UK by running marathons. You can read mum's story on my blog here if you are interested - http://www.extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.co.uk/ - I won't go on about it on here any more as everyone must be sick to death of hearing about it by now! 

JJ, hope your chest is better now.

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
05/01/2013 at 11:37

Very mild here, about 10c, it's not natural! Nemo and I have just come back from a  10km "run", well more of a jog really, but my first one of any distance since June.

05/01/2013 at 14:09

JJ, any suggestions for a 1/2 with pb potential for me prior to the Brighton marathon on 14th April please?  I wanted to do Paddock Wood again but it's the week before so not a good idea.  Hastings isn't good for a pb attempt, although one could argue that if I don't expect one there then I might get one!  I doubt I'd beat 2:0059 at TWells and I can't think of any others that might be suitable.

Edited to add that I've just remembered Lydd so off to have a look at that.

Edited: 05/01/2013 at 14:11
05/01/2013 at 15:56

Red, I don't kknow how far you are prepared to travel, but there is the Maxifuel Half on 17/3/13 which is a flat road race, in Windsor. There is also the Liverpool Half on the same day which you may be interested in, having lived on Merseyside in the past. This is also a flat road race.

It's been a damp and gloomy day here too, although it hasn't rained. It must have in the night though, as the ground was soaked this morning. I had intended my LSD run today, but wanted to watch the cross country on BBC at one o'clock, so just did a hilly 6 miles. I will do my long run tomorrow now. I decided against racing cross country tomorrow, as my left arm is not quite 100% yet, and I didn't want to risk another fall.

BIW, well done on your 10k. You must be feeling really fit now.

Web sites are www.f3events.co.uk and www.runliverpool.org.uk

Edited: 05/01/2013 at 16:05
05/01/2013 at 17:15

Red - you might get a course PB for Hastings.

BIW - bet Nemo's pleased you're running again!

7 miles run early this afternoon. I saw a runner out this morning in shorts and a T-shirt, but by the time I went out there was a very chilly wind so I was glad I was well covered up. Though that being said, I did unzip my jacket and take off my gloves after a couple of miles. 

05/01/2013 at 17:41

Red - your mum must have been an amazing lady because she certainly has an amazing daughter. I read your blog and have contributed to your cause. Long may you continue to seek new challenges to raise money, lady.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
05/01/2013 at 18:04

Columba - he certainly is,and is probably quite tired tonight as we've just got in from dog club - he had two attack work sessions. Charly did obedience on the field and his favourite sit/down/stay exercises on the table. Dinner time now for all of us!

05/01/2013 at 20:18

'lo!
Damp dreary day here but managed my first run of the year which was 3 miles off road wearing waterproof hiking shoes with solid mud soles. They were very heavy but not too bad to run through swamps.

Also did some digging for upper body work.

matsmum
Looks like you're now on the right running track.

IW
Up to 10k already? Well done.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.