'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,261 to 162,280 of 167,182 messages
05/01/2013 at 20:26

Redhead
Eastbourne on 3/3 but don't know it.
Lydd on 10/3 would be good and should be flat. Isn't it one of Martin Burke's?
Dorney (near Windsor) on Saturday 16/3 should be very flat. I've run 10k there.

Have you thought of a 10 miler?

Sidcup 10 on 10/3 is multi-laps but quite quick.
Folkestone 10 on 29/3 is very fast except for a hill just before the finish.
JJ

Edited: 05/01/2013 at 20:30
06/01/2013 at 09:25

Morning all,

It's a horrible damp foggy morning, not the sort for fair weather runners. I will be setting off soon for a LSD run, but don't know yet how far I will go.

JJ, good to hear that you are "back on the running trail" again. Do you intend entering any races? I have entered the Salisbury 10 miles, which is on March 10th, and is a Hampshire Road Race League Race.

06/01/2013 at 10:57

30 mins on the ex bike yesterday, which nearly killed me because I am not used to it and I hate exercising indoors.  But beautiful run this morning. 10 miles in lovely countryside in 1 hour 57. I was joined at 5miles by daughter L ( who has had a couple of years off with new baby and now wants to get back into running) and little K. We all sped up for the last mile and had a lovely time. Perfect weather too.

06/01/2013 at 16:09

Afternoon all,

Oh my it was foggy this morning.  I did 12.5 hilly and undulating miles and felt quite tried afterwards - must be getting old!

Matsmum, thank you very much for your donation and your kind words.  That was a good 10 miler and how lovely to have your daughter with you for part of it.

JJ, glad to hear you got out for a run.  Lydd's winning at the moment and it is Martin's race.  It's had bad press in the past for all sorts of reasons but I think they've sorted out the problems now.  A 10 miler is a good idea, thank you.  I've only done Dartford and Canterbury and they were several years ago so perhaps I'll have a look at Folkestone which isn't a place I know very well.  I don't know where Sidcup is so will have to look on the map!

TE, thanks for the suggestions.  I probably wouldn't travel that far for a 1/2 though.

06/01/2013 at 17:11

Matsmum, well done on your 10 miler, it sounded as if you had bright sunshine?

Red, you did very well doing 12.5 miles in the fog. The fog never lifted here in the forest, and I was chilled to the bone. The forecast had said that the fog would lift and the temperature rise to 7 degrees, so I just wore a Helly and T shirt, shorts and a beanie hat. I was carrying a water bottle and my hands nearly froze to it. I had intended running 12 miles, but I was so cold that my bones ached, and I just did 10 hilly miles on roads, as I am keeping out of the forest whilst running alone. My time was 1.42.44, an average of 10.17, which was better than I had expected, as I never warmed up from start to finish.

06/01/2013 at 17:44

Good runs everyone. Puts my run firmly in its place.
Ran 3.1 miles today in just over 31 minutes including a stop for a good cough.

Redhead
You can always race 10 miles and do a long warm up/cool down to make the extra miles.
Sidcup course record is 48 minutes. It's 3 laps.
JJ

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 18:05
06/01/2013 at 18:09

JJ - 3 miles off road in solid mud shoes sounds like hard work.

Haven't run today. Did a bit of gardening in the afternoon.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
06/01/2013 at 18:13

Swimming this morning, 2400m for me, John did 3000m.

JJ - yes,I did 10km but very slowly!

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 18:26
07/01/2013 at 09:58

Morning all,

Gloomy day here, not helped by the pile of paperwork I should be working on.  No running but some cross-training later - rower, static bike and core work.  34.5 miles run in the first week of 2013 

JJ, 48 mins for 10 miles is blimming scary.  Could make a change to do loops though although I'd end up being one of the last to finish!  Good idea to use it as part of a long run as I quite enjoyed it when I did that at the Hastings 1/2 with Columba.  Am I going to see you running in any races this year?

TE, it was cold wasn't it.  I too wore shorts and long-sleeved top with a cap and fingerless gloves.  For me it was my hands that suffered most as the fog settled on top of my gloves and chilled me to the bone.  You are wise not to run in the forest alone.

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 10:34
mcs
07/01/2013 at 10:46

Great running to all and Matsum you are on course now, be careful it could become addictive!!!
Only managed a 6.66 extreme hilly run in preparation for hilly race in March very muddy and messy and had to get back but enjoyed it.........Speedcross 3s purchased at a good price so happy need to break them in the next few weeks. Time was 66 mins bizarrely, need to go longer thinks I will have to switch long run day round.  Happy training and new week all.........

07/01/2013 at 12:46

Shorts ????  Are you all mad !  It has to be a lot warmer than 7 degrees for me to start shedding.

Such a stressful morning, trying to book a hotel in London. I chomped my way through 5 custard creams, a bourbon, a packet of stale kettlechips which I found languishing in the back of the cupboard, and two after eight mints before I found a Travelodge in Southwark that had vacancies. The whole world and its aunt are coming to London on that weekend. AND the prices have soared. The whole thing has cost me an arm and a leg ( which will make running even more hazardous ) .

mcs - I am already addicted. If i am not actually running then I am thinking about running. Or talking to you lot! So much so that I nearly forgot to do the wages this am and just remembered in the nick of time. Not good. 

07/01/2013 at 14:57

Been swimming; first swim of the year. Pool was almost empty, it was wonderful!

Matsmum - I'm with you on the clothing.

07/01/2013 at 15:16

Mark, I think you made a good choice buying the Speedcross 3s. The Speedcross 2s that I had were excellent, and I ran 506 miles in them, including some mileage on roads.They didn't need any breaking in and were perfect in every way, especially the wide spaces between the rubber lugs, which meant that mud didn't stick between them. The reviews for the 3s are that they are even better than the 2s, so well done. I did try to buy some 3s, but they didn't have any in my size. The Proplus 5s that I did buy were reduced to £50, so I got a bargain there. The original price was £85, so they were obviously an old model.

No running today, so am looking forward to tomorrows hill reps with the club. 

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 15:18
07/01/2013 at 16:37

LOL at Matsmum and the stress-induced biccies!   That's one of the reasons I decided not to do VLM again this year as it really does cost a lot to get there and back.

07/01/2013 at 17:08

Dull, dreary and drizzling all day. Two dog walks, some stretching and static exercises and a hair cut. Completed my 2011/2012 tax return; HMRC owes me £3.

Chairing a meeting tonight.

Redhead
The 3 laps make the race very easy. They go very quickly compared with out and back or a 10 mile circuit. I've been lapped on that course when running 78 mins .

I will be racing this year I hope but mostly local events.  I'm getting slower so travelling outside Kent/Est Sussex isn't really worth it.

Matsmum
It has to be over 10C before I start stripping.
Southwark is nicely placed for running the Thames Path.
JJ

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 17:13
08/01/2013 at 10:21

Morning all,

The sun's out and so will I be soon - hill reps on a decent incline followed by lots of pottering in the garden.  Heaven 

JJ, I'm pretty sure I've seen you get those great big long legs out I cold weather!  Now you've scared me with your lap story - just imagine me plodding along on my first lap when the speedy peeps are on lap 3   Having said that I do rather like the idea of running on  a track a change and I'm pretty sure I've never been to Sidcup either.  Must see how it fits into my schedule.

Have a lovely day everyone 

08/01/2013 at 10:51

Red, hope you enjoy your hill reps in the sunshine. I'll be doing mine this evening in the dark

Went to the dentist this morning for my 6 monthly check up, and he advised that a back tooth, which had been loose for some time was now leaking, and my body was using up 20% of energy fighting the infection. He said that once it was extracted, I would have more energy for my running. I don't know whether this was part of his sales pitch, but it had the desired effect, and I will have it extracted next week. Watch this space to see if my times improve!

08/01/2013 at 12:21

JJ - a haircut as cross-training?

TE - best of luck with the extraction. If it's already loose it should come out without too much difficulty.

Raining here. Shall be out with the running club tonight, wearing my new head torch. Also just got my Garmin back from being refurbished, so shall be fully equipped.

mcs
08/01/2013 at 12:35

Little four and a bit mile plod to work and put the heart rate monitor strap thingy on. Stayed around 140 to 150. Whats the best way to know your max again please? Run like billyoh I guess!!!

08/01/2013 at 14:46

Columba, thanks. Yes the dentist said that it should come out easily. The charge for extraction is £85. I have a 45 minute appointment, although I don't know why, as they don't use laughing gas anymore. I presume I will have some injections to numb the pain, and they normally take some time to take effect. I think the lengthy appointment is a way of justifying the extortionate cost Hope you get on ok with your new head torch, and the Garmin is fully operational. Mine no longer beeps on each mile, and it is definitely set to "on." Probably wearing out, as I have had it for about 4 years.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.