'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,281 to 162,300 of 166,777 messages
08/01/2013 at 16:36

Afternoon all,

Did a very successful hill reps with plenty of huffing and puffing on the ups but recovering quickly on the downs.  6.12 miles in total.  Gardening had to be abandoned when friend-in-need phoned in tears and stayed for 3.5 hours sobbing about her impending divorce.  Made me feel glad to have my Mike.

TE, good luck with the extraction.  I had one last year and it didn't hurt at all at the time but was very sore afterwards.  Enjoy your hill reps.

Columba, steady on, you're sounding like a real club runner.  Next you'll be talking about club championships and age gradings  

mcs
08/01/2013 at 16:39

Going to cause myself alittle pain by trying to get my heart rate to max out on the way home ouch. NOt as bad as the dentist all the best TE.  Keep puffing Redhead and counselling......a good friend no doubt.

08/01/2013 at 17:14

Red and Mark, thanks.

Red, good that your hill reps went well. Your friend is lucky to have your shoulder to cry upon.

08/01/2013 at 17:19

Ran 4.1 muddy off road miles early this morning with my doodle.

Columba
My gents hairdresser moved premises about a year ago so I now go to a ladies hairdresser and get it cut by a young, slim blond woman aged about 20. I don't reckon there's much opportunity for cross training.

TE
A bad tooth will certainly take the edge off your running but not sure that it's 20%. You will certainly feel better though. A piece of string tied to the doorknob is cheaper.

msc
A maximum HR test hurts. Find a hill of 100 - 200m. It doesn't have to be vertical, just a bit tough. Do a long warm up. Run the hill flat out, jog back down, repeat twice more and you should see your MHR on the third effort.. If you've done the hills properly you will have wibbly legs and feel like throwing up.

JJ

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 17:20
08/01/2013 at 19:56

I am so happy. I did the 6 miles getting faster today, starting at 12 min mile - and finished in 63.30. A whole 4 mins faster than last time. Mind you, the weather was great, bright and mild. I actually began to understand about the shorts thing.

I've heard some iffy remarks from dentists before , TE.......are you quite sure he was telling the tooth?

JJ - you've got a doodle!  I love them. But I am not having another dog after my Golden crosses the rainbow bridge to Matthew. He chose her and he named her. She is 14 in the summer and her back legs are giving her a lot of trouble. It makes me feel sad.

mcs - I have never had a heart rate monitor. Does it strap on the upper arm? I have a strap on my arm with my phone in as a safety measure. Well, that is what I tell people, but actually it's great at keeping my batwing from flapping. I was looking for something for the other arm,so maybe a HRM is the answer!

Red, divorces are the pits. We have never had one in our family which is pretty amazing in this day and age. But I come across it quite a lot in my work, and it is devastating. People just don't realise it until it's all just too late. I feel for your friend. But she is lucky to have you. 

Do you all belong to clubs then? 

08/01/2013 at 20:34

Matsmum
Good run today.
14 is a good age for any dog. The trouble is that we get very attached to them. 
The doodle is 5 and named Maizie. She's the world's most expensive mongrel but a wonderful dog and great fun.

I belong to a club; Tunbridge Wells Harriers. I joined at about 63 y.o. when my running plateaued due to doing the same training week in week out. I made huge improvements in a very short time.

Heart rate monitors strap round the chest with a transmitter over the heart area which links to a receiver on the wrist. It's the nearest us guys get to wearing a bra. Well I hope it's the nearest!
JJ

08/01/2013 at 22:01

Red - I'm already well aware of age gradings! But am not into club championships.

I too was on the phone this morning to a friend in need; not a divorce, - her husband died very suddenly in December - no prior health issues, though he was certainly overweight. She's in a complete state of shock, not surprisingly.

In spite of all the extra equipment (or perhaps because of it) I somehow managed to turn my ankle during tonight's club run. Didn't quite fall. They were doing laps around various bits of the town, so I let them run one lap without me, then walked the other way to meet them coming back - ankle felt ok - jogged a bit - no pain, but did feel rather hot. Finished the run very gently, and now have ankle nestling in a pack of frozen peas.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
09/01/2013 at 09:40

Matsmum -  condensed history of the last 50 or so years: I was an athletic club member from the age of 12 until about 15 years ago. Since then my husband John and I have been members of a triathlon club. It helps us to have structured training sessions, we have a wonderful swim trainer for our Tuesday night coached sessions and there are also group bike rides. We have two male dogs, Nemo is a black German Shepherd aged 5 and Charly is a White Swiss Shepherd, 7 months old and still growing. We have had shepherd dogs for over 30 years now. I am a member of the German Shepherd Association of Germany and belong to a local club for training and competition with our dogs. We live in southern Germany, John has run 5 marathons and countless other races. I have completed 45 marathons and both of us have done many Ironman triathlon races though now retired from long distance, OH with knee trouble and me with a titanium hip. Both of us are very much slower than we used to be! That's it in a nutshell.

09/01/2013 at 09:58

JJ, I'm sure you're right that 20% is "over the top." It was probably his way of ensuring I would make an appointment for an extraction. It would be a miracle if my race times improved by 20%

Matsmum, "are you quite sure he was telling the tooth?" LoL. I belong to Hardley Running Club, and my pace and race times have improved, compared with the last few years. I ran unattached for several years, and found that no matter how hard I trained alone, the effort was not as great as when training with others of similar or higher ability. I think that this is the 5th club I have been a member of, and have been with them since January 2012. We have training evenings on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and on Sundays, some of us go for a long run in the forest.

Columba, sorry to hear about your  twisiting your ankle last night. That is the hazard of night running on roads and pavements. The ground is often very uneven, with potholes filled with leaves.

Last night was a hill rep session comprising 3 sets of 4 hill reps, with approximately 2 minutes jog recoveries between sets. We increased the pace as we passed each lampost, so we were at maximum at the last one. We jogged back down each time. The weather was atrocious, yet we had the highest turn out since I have been with the club. There were quite a few who I hadn't seen before, and they were very fast. There must be lots of members who don't regularly attend club sessions.

mcs
09/01/2013 at 10:08

Ran home in pitch black as torch batteries dying, managed on the third rep of a sprint to get the heart rate up to 179 but reckon in daylight on a hill probably go a touch higher as wasn't ready to throw up or wobbly legged. Will try harder.

TE guess the New Year brings out those who are making a fresh start with New Year Resolutions.

Matsum Heart Rate Monitor straps across the chest but if it slips can fail to pick up the beat occasionally but useful to know how fit you are.

09/01/2013 at 13:51

mcs, I'll have a look at Speedcross. I do have trail shoes, but sometimes conditions are so muddy, that even more grip would be useful. I still haven't tried a max heart rate test as JJ describes, just taken the figure from a challemging hilly race. One day I must!

Mattsmum, your training is off to a very good start, and you run far better than I did when starting preparation for my first marathon. My elder daughter likes running, but hasn't managed to do much recently with 2 small sons. However, the three year old has mastered a two wheeler bike, and has been cycling to and from school with his elder brother, and Jo is running alongside for safety reasons, so running two one mile round trips three times a week, which is good multi-tasking! Glad you have a hotel sorted. Our running club runs a coach to VLM. It means a horribly early start, but I don't sleep all the well the night before anyway, and there is great camaraderie (and cake!) on the coach.

TE, hope the tooth extraction goes smoothly. We have also done those 'pyramid hills', and are building more regular hill sessions of all types into the schedule.

I had a very muddy, tough but pleasant Sunday run with two friends from running club. It is a complete circumnavigation of Lyndhurst, just over 8 miles. I had to hose down the shoes after that one!

09/01/2013 at 13:56

I meant to say that I'm also a fan of running clubs, assuming you can find a nice friendly and supportive one which trains at a time that suits you. Our club has organised sessions on Monday & Wednesday, a social run on Fridays (on trails with head-torches at this time of year) and an occasional organised Sunday morning longer run. Otherwise I run alone on Sunday, or arrange something with a friend from the club. We also have some social events, and like TE's club, which is quite nearby, take part in an inter-club race series (10 Wednesday evenings over the summer and 6 Sunday mornings over the winter). Clubs who participate take a turn to organise & marshall one of each.

09/01/2013 at 14:52

Afternoon all,

No run day as I've had to rearrange my schedule around life so i will now have to run 4 days in a row.  Good practice for later in the year I suppose 

Columba hope your ankle is OK?  Sorry to hear about your friend.

Matsmum, I'm not a club member as they are all quite  away from home, the nearest taking 45 minutes drive each way so 1.5 hours out of an evening.  I did belong to one for a couple of years and that was just a 30 min drive each way and I enjoyed running with others but I didn't enjoy running in the evening as they didn't start until 7:30 so the whole evening was taken up.  I'm quite happy running alone and would never want to run my LSRs with anyone as running alone develops great mental strength.  I do, however, enjoy running races with people 

09/01/2013 at 18:39

Norunday which is just as well because I've felt tired. Bathed the doodle instead
JJ

09/01/2013 at 21:08

A 6 mile run at recovery pace this morning. The sun came out as I was completing my run.

09/01/2013 at 21:22

JJ - Running would be less exhausting than bathing some doodles.

Matsmum, I was running (alone) for 10 years before joining a local running club last year. The running club is based in Rhayader, 10 miles or so away, but on Tuesday evenings they have a session in my home town so that's when I join them. I am often the oldest, and nearly always the slowest, of them, but they are really friendly and encouraging; if they get far ahead one of them will run back and run with me for a while, or if they're doing laps around blocks of streets in town I do one less lap than the rest of them and catch up that way. 

Still, I was interested to read Red's comment that "running alone develops great mental strength".

It was a working day today, not a running day - and my ankle is still a bit sore so I wouldn't have run anyway. The last few miles of my journey home were horrendous, as it got very foggy and I was crawling along a country lane with no lighting, no cats' eyes and no white line to mark the middle. I was going by glimpses of grassy verge between swirls of mist. But in Aberystwyth itself it was brilliantly sunny, a really beautiful day. 

09/01/2013 at 21:51

Columba
Running alone certainly requires mental strength but running with others brings extra speed and speed/endurance.

I quite like the picture I have of you crawling along a country lane. Where was the car?
JJ

10/01/2013 at 09:53

Around me! - I'm pleased to say. Though I did wonder, from time to time, whether to stop it and get out and see if I could get a better idea of my surroundings from outside. Fortunately it's a road near home that I'm very familiar with, so knew roughly when to expect the ups, the downs, and the curves. 

10/01/2013 at 10:10

Morning all,

A tempo run for me planned for this afternoon.  I'm trying to work out a route that doesn't involve hills and that only leaves cross-country tracks which are impassable without waders!  Hills it is then 

JJ, that's what I use races for - speed/endurance - but for marathon and ultra running you need to be able to dig right down into the dark places in your head when the going gets tough and you're all alone (even if there are people around you).  I've met lots of people who've only ever done their LSRs with other people and they have struggled in the marathon when running on their own.

Columba, I agree that fog and country lanes are a complete nightmare.  Especially at the moment as all the lane edges are deeply rutted as the rain has washed vegetation away leaving deep mud.

mcs
10/01/2013 at 11:26

Agree with your comments Redhead tend to run alone most of the time occasionally with my brother or son in law. The mental side of running is strengthened by running alone.
Had a dark, flipping freezing minus two run 6.7 mile run to work through the Monsal Head Tunnel brilliant emerging from the tunnel to the light and the frost everywhere. Kept the pace down apart from one mile to 7.50mm and an 8.09. So cold though when I got to work, thank goodness for a hot shower!! Reminded me of school cross country.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.