'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,321 to 162,340 of 166,789 messages
12/01/2013 at 14:43

Afternoon all,

Brrrrr and yuck to this weather!  Sleety stuff and windy too.  My treddy run was cut short by a massive coughing fit and trouble breathing which was very annoying.  I did try to continue but gave up in the end as I'd done the bulk of the work and was just at the last interval and cool-down.  So I ended up doing 4.75 miles instead of 6.  Glad I've got my asthma review next week as it's getting on my nerves now.

Some good comments from you oldies on Adrian's thread 

Matsmum, LOL you naughty laydee!  Bet it kept you nice and warm though 

IW, Charly hasn't quite grown into his ears yet has he.  Very sweet.

Columba glad your ankle was OK.

mcs
12/01/2013 at 17:37
Nice day here cool but great for my 19.3 miler on the Grindleford Gallop route tough muddy run in the now not so shiny speed crosses. Tough was out for three hours 11 mins and had to divert to a village shop for a Naked Bar which stopped me from sitting down. Need to take more fuel in future for these long ones.
12/01/2013 at 18:46

mcs - 19 miles? you would certainly need plenty of fuel for that. Do you mean the people in the shop wouldn't allow you to sit down, or do you mean you chose the Naked Bar in preference to something at a cafe which might have persuaded you to sit down (after which, if you're anything like me, you might have found it very difficult to get going again)?

Red - they seem very unpredictable, your asthma attacks, which must make it harder to treat the condition. Are the causes still being investigated?

Intended to run either today or tomorrow. It will now have to be tomorrow, as I got caught up in various things. It's been really cold here today; not below freezing, but a piercing cold wind which sends people scuttling off the streets into shops or their cars. We had a couple of snow flurries but didn't lie.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
12/01/2013 at 19:18

Red - Charly will continue to grow for the next 4 to 6 months, shepherd dogs are not considered fully grown until 12 to 14 months. This afternoon at dog club we had one person firing a pistol to test the younger dogs, as one is fired during an exam and the dog has to ignore it and continue with the routine. Charly looked round the first time but didn't after that, good boy!

Intended to run today but we have snow and it's quite slippery in places so decided discretion is the better part of valour.

13/01/2013 at 08:19

Mark, great run there.

No snow here yet, but expected later. It's 2 degrees, which is warmer than expected, and I will be off for my first forest run since my fall on the Sunday before Christmas shortly.

13/01/2013 at 15:09

Lovely leisurely 12 miles today, daughter L joining me at the 6 mile mark. It took me 2hrs 22mins to complete, but bright weather with snow flurries which was nice, and for the first 6 miles nobody was about and I had the world to myself. And lovely company for the last lap!  Little K only did 3 miles because she has the County Trials on Tuesday. She is very small and is up against stiff competition from the best of the other schools.

BI - Charly is lovely - and what a good boy, not startling at the pistol shot! Is that training or temperament?

mcs - great run. Wow, 19.3 miles. Were there loads of people? Running, I mean?

13/01/2013 at 15:24

Matsmum, well done on your 12 miler. Hope Little K does well in the County Trails.

A 7.5 mile forest run for me this morning, with 2 club colleagues. The forest is the wettest that any of us can remember, and much of the run comprised wading through deep mud. It was bright, sunny and cold, but we were well wrapped up, and thoroughly enjoyed the run. I am now really pumped up, and after last year spent carefully upping my training and racing sparingly, am now "rearing to go!" I'm hoping to knock several minutes off the last 2 or 3 years race times, and become competitive in my age group 60-70 again.

I think the bright sunny weather brings out the best in people, as without exception, every dog walker, runner, or horse rider wished us good morning etc. Tomorrrow will probably bring the promised snow, so take care everyone.

13/01/2013 at 15:47

Matsmum - it's temperament, he hasn't heard shots before, although training will reinforce it. His sire has passed every classic exam there is with good marks,so hopefully Charly has inherited Dad's abilities! Long way to go yet - he has to be 15 months old to be eligible for the basic obedience exam.

Sunday swimming this morning, I swam 2800m  and John did 3200m in the same time 'cos he's much faster than me!

13/01/2013 at 17:34

Frosty here with bright sunshine this morning, then misted over and I went for a run (sort of interval session along one side of the town lake), and after I'd got home and had lunch it started to snow, so glad I went when I did.

TE - sounds as though you're going to have a good year!

13/01/2013 at 19:16

Columba, thanks. As long as I can keep injuries at bay, I am intending to do more races than in previous years, and in faster times. I'm hoping that after my tooth extraction on Tuesday, I will have the energy back that the infection was taking away.

13/01/2013 at 22:25

Quite a nice day here but very cold.

TE
Do you know your approximate percentage age grading from your peak running days?  If so, this year try to equal those gradings and you will know you are as good in relative terms as you were

matsmum
Bad jokes, even worse puns, double entendres and innuendo are my stock in trade.
Doodles are very expensive to buy. They seem to be very trendy. However, they aren't a recognised breed because they are too variable so they have to be no more than expensive mongrels.

A Long, Slow Run (LSR) has to meet the three criteria in its name. Looks like you got it right.

Columba
Looks like you've got some carp weather coming. Take care.

14/01/2013 at 09:40

JJ,  I will find it exceedingly difficult to match my age grading from my peak years. My top rating is 81.65 for my 37.00 for 10k in 1994, when I was 48. My PB's are as follows: 29.45 for 5 miles, 35.52 for 10k, 59.54 for 10 miles, 1.20.58 for half marathon and 3.12.26 for the marathon.

It's been snowing over much of Hampshire, but hasn't reached the New Forest yet. Will be going for a run soon, before it gets here, although will probably start before I get home.

14/01/2013 at 13:16

Afternoon all,

Sorry I didn't pop on yesterday - don't know where the time went!  My 12 miler was rather frustrating as I had to walk most of the really steep hills which annoyed me immensely but I made up for it on the downhills and flatter bits.  12 miles in total, only made bearable by the lovely bright sunshine which lifted my spirits - then it rained as I walked through the door 

Columba, my asthma attacks are indeed unpredictable and very annoying.  My next hozzie appointment is in a couple of weeks.  I'm eliminating foodstuffs at the moment to see if that makes  a difference, plus it makes me feel as if I'm slightly in control.

TE, your times are scary!  Good luck with your races this year.  I bet you'll do well as you've got the hunger for it.

Mark well done.  That was a great time for a challenging course.

JJ, any excuse to talk about your doodle 

I keep getting emails about the numerous marathons up on the South Downs and my 'entry finger' is getting very itchy..................must be firm and get that pesky road marathon time bettered in April first mustn't I?!..................

14/01/2013 at 15:13

Red, thanks. On the subject of the SDM, I am considering running it if the Bramley 20 goes well.

Still no snow here and I ran a steady 6 miles this morning. Looking forward hopefully to the additional energy I'm supposed to get, after my back tooth is extracted tomorrow.

14/01/2013 at 21:24

To equal my PBs now, at the age of 67, I would have to achieve the following times:      5 miles 35.18, 10k 43.53, 10 miles 74.22, half marathon 1.37.09, marathon 3.53.07. I think it is very unlikely that I will be able to get anywhere near them, but it does give me targets to aim for.

14/01/2013 at 22:07

Been swimming.

Snow has arrived. Supposed to be going to Aberystwyth tomorrow; have to see what it looks like in the morning.

TE - good luck at the dentist's tomorrow. No doubt you'll be glad to get it over with.

JJ - I thought "doodle" was a made-up word (other than when it means one of those little drawings that appear in the margins of lecture notes). Now it seems that it isn't.

15/01/2013 at 08:05

John is at the dentist today too - apparently he's got a lump in his gum that needs to be removed.

My bone doc yesterday showed me on my x-ray that my lower vertebrae don't have enough padding between them. That's what's causing the tingling and numbness in my right leg and foot.  Today I've got a physical therapy appt, the first of 6. Hopefully she can show me some other exercises that will help - I've been sitting on a tennis ball for the past 3 weeks! The only other thing that seems to help is to cross my right leg over the left andf pull my foot up towards my hip.

Aging is the pits!

15/01/2013 at 14:57

Afternoon fellow crumblies.

IW, I wish I could knit you some little cushions to put between your vertebrae.  Hope the Physio can suggest something useful.  Hope John's gun is OK too.

TE, hope you're feeling OK after the extractiion.  Please take it easy today and take care.

My 6 miles today were torturously slow on the uphills and I sounded like an old tramp gasping for breath.  I called it a marathon paced run to make myself feel better but if I run that slowly at Brighton I shall be most unhappy!  Asthma review tomorrow but not hopeful.

Columba, what's hte snow situation?  Our was just a light dusting last night and it's just cold and windy today but at least the sun's out.

15/01/2013 at 15:34

Thanks all for your dental good wishes. I've had the tooth extracted, which came out very easily. I don't think  that all the injections were really necessary, but I suppose the Dentist couldn't take chances. My gum is still quite numb, and I kept biting my tongue whilst eating my lunch. I was advised not to attempt anything strenuous for the rest of the day, so that puts tonight's club session off the radar

BIW, hope John got on ok at the dentist, and your physical therapy sessions produce results.

Red, I do hope your Asthma Review tomorow will be helpful. It did seem as if you were making good progress, so you must be feeling really gutted that you are still suffering.

15/01/2013 at 19:20

Hello, I wish you all better, fellow running wrinklies.

Snow and ice and freezing fog have put paid to my running today since I do not have a treadmill.  Little K's county trials had to be cancelled. You would think the world was about to end!! I was going into the city tomorrow to buy some more trainers and some trail shoes but it looks as though that will not be possible either. I think I will join in the general chorus of   It's not fair!!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.