'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,341 to 162,360 of 166,988 messages
15/01/2013 at 20:12

'lo all
If it gets any colder it will be www weather.

TE
If you are able to do the right training for your age you will hit the same age gradings as earlier. You won't, of course, be running the same times. Good targets to aim for though.

Redhead
I'm not a crumblie; I'm a coffin dodger.
Could it be exercise induced asthma? It's quite common.
JJ

15/01/2013 at 21:15

My brother gets asthma if he runs out of doors, but indoors on a treadmill he's ok. He's been asthmatic since childhood, and once had to be hospitalised after picnicking downwind of a field of flowering rape.

TE - convalesce gently, won't you?

A few inches of snow here, and most of the way to Aber, but all main roads were clear. No snow in Aber; sun shone, sky was blue, sea very calm. Cold, though.

When I got home, found the club run had ben cancelled (wouldn't have been back in time for it anyway).

JJ - I Googled "Doodle" so now I know all about them.

16/01/2013 at 09:23

Columba, thanks, yes I took it easy yesterday and spent a boring evening watching the TV, wishing I was out with the club.

It's minus 5 here at the moment in the forest and very frosty. I had intended going for an early run, but will now will wait until later, until the ground has thawed out.

JJ, you are quite right that there is no way I would be running the same times. There is a huge difference, for example between my 35.52 10k back in 1989 and equivalent 43.53 today. It will take a great deal of dedication and training to achieve this, as I haven't got anywhere near this time since my 42.45 in 2001.

16/01/2013 at 12:57

Afternoon all,

Following my asthma review, I've got to up my dosage of meds when I feel grotty.  Deep joy!  So I've just dosed myself up  again and am about to try a treedy intervals session.

JJ, it's definitely brought on in part by exercise as prior to being diagnosed I always had  a very gunky chest after long runs (that has been helped enormously by the meds).  But the thing that brought it to a head was the allergy side of it when I had that problem with tree pollen and oil seed rape last year and my throat kept closing up.

Matsmum, sorry little K's trial was cancelled.  More time to practice then 

Only -4 here this morning and felt amazing first thing.  I love days like this, all cold and crisp but with a watery sun.

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 12:58
mcs
16/01/2013 at 13:41

Minus six first thing here and freezing fog in the valley.........did six yesterday in freezing cold, snow and ice, so Speedcross shoes were great for this weather.  My bro has asthma but exercise has really helped him to reduce meds. Stay safe on the ice folks, customer of mine broke her wrist on Monday slipping.

16/01/2013 at 15:31

Mark, the weather sounds terrible in your part of the country. We have snow and blizzards forecast for Friday. Glad that you are finding your Speedcross suitable for the snow and ice.

I ran 8 miles this morning on tarmac which was slippery in places. The worst was crossing railway lines, which were icy between the rails. That would have been a very dangerous place to have had a fall.

16/01/2013 at 16:01

Minus 12 here, schools closed, airport closed.....the world looks absolutely beautiful and the children are ecstatic!

My daughter H has asked for some advice and I thought you might be able to help her. This is what she sent me:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/338405-treadmill-maximum-heart-rate-test/

The problem is it indicated her maximum heart rate as far lower than she was expecting. 

She walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes, then ran gently for fifteen minutes, so was properly warm, and then started the test proper. 

All went fine - started at 148 bpm (the calculation 188 - 40, as recommended), but although her heart rate shot up momentarily when she started running (up to around 190, I think, gave her a bit of a shock!) it then settled quite low very quickly.  She was struggling to get it to the 158, 168, 178 targets, generally only managing to get it about four beats below.

Then the last minute, when she had to run as fast as she could for the entire period and then read her heart rate at the end - it got to 178 absolute maximum and no higher. She was running as fast as the treadmill would go, and was absolutely exhausted (screeching breath in and out!)

She is really confused as to why she struggled to get her heart to meet the targets, and why her maximum was so low. She is wondering whether to re-test it, if she did something wrong. She is 32. She doesn't think she has a particularly low resting heart rate. 

The thing is she wants to train for a July triathlon after coming back from injury which has meant she hasn't been able to run for a while. She wants to use her heart rate monitor to train with her garmin 310XT in the hope that this might prevent her hurting herself again, and make her training more efficient. She would be so grateful for any advice.

My news now..... Little K has been put through to the next round of County Trials simply on recommendation. So her prayers were answered!  And my lovely husband has bought me a treadmill !!   Woohoo !!!  Should be delivered in the next couple of days - which is good because 15cm snow is expected on Friday. I am wary of running on snow and ice since I had a fall a few years back and fell heavily on my right knee. It took so long to get better and I think I have arthritis in it now. So when in doubt I will be able to train on the treadmill .

Are Speedcross shoes trail shoes?

Pilates has been cancelled for tonight. And I doubt whether we will be able to take K to her athletics training tomorrow.

Daughter L has asthma and once we had to stop at 4k in a 5k race because she couldn't breathe. It was scary.  Red, do you use your inhaler before you exercise, or just use it as and when you need it?

It was nice to have an unexpected day off today. It felt like Christmas all over again.

16/01/2013 at 19:52

Matsmum, you've certainly got a deep freeze where you are! I'm not really qualified to give advice on heart rates etc. but I'm sure JJ, who is, will be able to help. Speedcross are a Salomon Trail Shoe, and the Speed Cross models are lightweight and suitable for training and racing. I wouldn't have thought that they would be suitable for snow and ice, but according to Mark, they are ideal for those conditions. Well done to little K, and lucky you to have a treadmill for a present

It's minus 2 here at the moment, so will probably drop much lower during the night.

16/01/2013 at 19:53

Matsmum, I think heart rate is very much individual to the person. Also, you can sometimes get false readings if the contact parts of the chest band aren't making proper contact, or if the HRM is interfered with by nearby electronic equipment, overhead power lines etc. JJ may be able to tell you more.

Sounds as though you've got some really extreme weather conditions chez vous!

TE - I'd avoid slippery tarmac like the plague. Yesterday's snow is still here, much of it having frozen. Couldn't decide whether to put on road running shoes and run on the (cleared and gritted) roads, avoiding the (uncleared and potentially slippery) pavements and risking the traffic; or put on Innov-8s and run across snowy fields, rough and crunchy but hopefully not slippery. The snowy fields won, and I did a very slow 3-and-a-bit miles over lumps and bumps and clumps of reeds, through squishy bits where the snow had thawed, up and down hills, through gates, over stiles, with a couple of wet-foot episodes where a crust of ice gave way letting my feet down into muddy water below.

All very good for the core muscles, I'm sure. 

16/01/2013 at 23:00

Must have been quite warm here at -2C during the day.

matsmum.
The first thing to remember is that 226 - age or similar formula is only a rough rule of thumb so it doesn't always work as a benchmark. In any case there are wide variations between individuals. Also  it's only part of a number of physical measurements e.g.VO2 Max which go towards making a really fast runner and almost everyone's perception of running flat out is a bit different. If she felt totally wiped out after the last effort the 178 as maximum is worth using as a start point.
I will find some info and give you some links.

Columba
Your weight being thrown in all directions produces a counter-balancing reaction in lots of muscle groups. It therefore helps to strength leg and upper body muscles.
JJ

17/01/2013 at 09:23

It's minus 2 at the moment, and it has already started to snow in parts of Hampshire. It hasn't yet reached the New Forest, but no doubt will later on. It's a club night tonight, so if it is snowing, then the session may well be cancelled.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
17/01/2013 at 09:33

Yep, I'm an advocate of strength exercises especially as one gets older. I'm still doing weight workouts and have started using some other exercise DVDs,  two Pilates ones and a Ryan Lochte (US Olympic gold medal swimmer) one called, rather suggestively, "Hard Core" which concentrates on your abs.

Snowed again last night. Hey ho, it's off to the DVDs I go.........

17/01/2013 at 10:39

Woke to snow, and it has been falling all morning and continues to do so.

Think I'll stay in!

mcs
17/01/2013 at 13:54

Matsum re the heart training comments, I find that depending on the strap you can get varying readings very quickly. But going high suddenly and then dropping down is not an issue as long as she is medically fit should not be an issue more likely to be equipment clitches. Speedcross 3s I have had this last week are good for off road and not good for ice, not much is good for ice apart from crampons or yaktraks, though two years ago I put a load of elastic bands that the postman drops outside our office door on my Asics and they worked quite well on the ice. Generally my commute home is off road so I dont need to go on ice, just mud and snow at the moment. The idea of a treadmill this weather sounds good, just got no where to put one in my pad. STAY safe folks.

17/01/2013 at 21:54

matsmum.
Finding maximum HR is only part of the figures needed. Also required is resting HR and from these you can work out the Working HR. The heart rates for the various types of training are then worked out from WHR.

These frequently feel easy at first but never forget that as you train and get fitter you get faster for the same effort.

HRM can be very variable at times so the 190+ reading may be just an aberration. Very often when setting out on a run the contact is too dry and gives a false reading. As soon as a bit of sweat (glow?) appears the contact is OK and readings are reliable.

This link is quite a good one. It's fairly simple and written by a guy I know well who used to work for RW.

columba
Would you mind keeping the snow in Wales please.
JJ

17/01/2013 at 22:01

matsmum
Trythis link  too. It says much gthe same thing but in a slightly different way.
JJ

18/01/2013 at 09:45

Very heavy snow here, causing chaos on the roads, rail and airports, as usual. All schools closed, and most buses cancelled. Police are warning drivers not to set out unless absolutely essential. The QA Hospital has cancelled all Outpatient Appointments.

I feel sorry for the elderly who are reliant on their Carers, who might not be able to get to them.

Haven't ventured outside yet, but the snow is several inches deep, and I will walk to the supermarket to test the conditions. May well not run today, which is a real pain, as I need to get the miles in for my 20 miler in February. It's conditions like this which make me wish I had a treadmill.

Take care everyone, as I'm sure some of you have worse conditions than me.

mcs
18/01/2013 at 09:49

Bit of snow here in Derbyshire but nothing heavy really, a lot of media hype. Roads have been well gritted. Ran down the trail in the snow making the first prints apart from the odd fox and badger drag across the paths. Like running in snow it works different muscles for sure. Just started snowing a few more fluffy bits. Stay safe and no slipping and sliding out there.

18/01/2013 at 11:27

Walked to the supermarket wearing my Salomons. The snow was turning slushy, but hasn't stopped. I may go for a run this afternoon by keeping to the grass verges along the Beaulieu Road in the forest. If the snow gets heavier, I will probably stay indoors and get the hoover out.

18/01/2013 at 12:35

Snow really thick here, and keeps coming. Schools closed (neighbour's children are building an igloo in their front garden) and the rubbish / recycling people haven't been, either cos they can't get through or cos they're all otherwise empolyed driving snow ploughs and gritters. I walked down to the main road to see what it was like; semi-clear in the middle, and some traffic moving cautiously along it, but very little. While I was there, a snow-plough came through; but no sooner had it gone than the snow started filling-in the clear path again. Drifting, too. 

Not going anywhere.

Might walk into town tomorrow.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.