'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,381 to 162,400 of 167,192 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
21/01/2013 at 18:12

Need to get out on my bike but it's absolutely impossible at present, I'm getting so far behind on my tri training. However, went shopping with John this afternoon for dog food and a new leash for Nemo, came home with a new bike turbo courtesy of Decathlon's winter sale.

21/01/2013 at 18:16

Snow clearing today and two long doodle walks. Quite a lot of exercise really.

TE
I know your run was slow but there must have been a lot of satisfaction from getting out there.

Redhead
I think you're getting confused. I'm not glamorous.
JJ

21/01/2013 at 21:32

JJ - you seem to be rather good at ignoring your own advice. Not only re the marathon, but I still remember the bollard you fell over after having warned everyone else not to.

I spent much of the morning clearning the snow off the car, then off the drive and out into the road. While I was doing this the sun came out, and icicles started to drip. I even felt too hot! Spread grit-and-salt on drive and road (fortunately there's a big container of it just round the corner) and behold! I was able to get the car out later and go for a swim.

Snowed again in the evening. But not for long.

TE - no aches or pains after 11 miles of ice, deep snow and mud? - You must indeed be fit.

21/01/2013 at 21:36

JJ, yes it was very satisfying, and we all felt pleased with what we had achieved. I estimate that our "adventure" was equivalent to 16 miles on road, but more beneficial. It must have helped our endurance, and the two of us who are doing the Bramley 20 miles in February, are feeling confident of success. We are not racing it, as Helen is doing the VLM and I understand that it is not beneficial racing 20 miles prior to a marathon. We will run together, and I intend keeping the pace at around 10 minute miling. If we are feeling good in the latter stages then we can increase, but the main aim is to finish.

We are hoping to run 15 or 16 miles next Sunday in better conditions, and a much quicker time, although we will be running at talking pace.

Your doodle is getting plenty of excercise, which I hope is keeping you fit and ready for your first race of the year.

Red, I didn't run today, but I also got the Hoover out. It is a real Hoover, very old, upright and heavy, and hard work pushing it around. I also got to work on hands and knees with dustpan and brush into the awkward corners where the Hoover cannot reach. I did the dusting and polishing on Saturday. I consider this "core work," which makes it less of a chore.

21/01/2013 at 21:46

Columba, our posts crossed. Cleaning the snow off the car is quite a lengthy job, and I've noticed lots of drivers who have only cleared their side of the windscreen, and ignored the side windows. Not only is this illegal, but downright dangerous. They also fail to clear the bonnet, and also the roof. This means great chunks fall off as they are driving, which is a danger to other road users. I hope the water was warm for your swim.

I must admit to being surprised at no aches or pains, but these often come two days after the event. Tomorrow will, therefore, be the test. I will be seeing the others at the club session and find out how they are feeling. We have a hill session scheduled, so that should sort us out

22/01/2013 at 11:20

John is 65 today!  Going to tri club swim training tonight and am taking cake for afterwards - I asked Kathrin if we could have a little bit shorter session tonight and she said no problem, it's an easy session anyway due to the upcoming gala on Sunday. So, lots of replacement carbs for our hungry swim team.

mcs
22/01/2013 at 11:53

Nice little five miler to work today in the bootiful snow with no 2 daughter. TOok some piccies on the MOnsal Viaduct bridge awesome.  6 run yesterday but boy is it hard work in the snow. Need to get a long run in as only done one decent run over 14 this year and one 19 miler still cant do anything about the weather will have to go this weekend whatever the weather and just go slow.

22/01/2013 at 14:51

Afternoon all,

Sulky Redhead here   The day started badly as I was doing some backing vocals for Mike and we had to abandon it 'cos I couldn't breathe deeply enough to sing the sustained passages and the more I tried the worse it got and I ended up having a massive coughing fit which ended in tears.  Then to compound the issue my treddy tempo run was a real struggle and I had to stop for 5 minutes in the middle with another coughing fit.  The piece of cake I had to console myself has helped a bit but I'm getting heartily fed-up of these interruptions to life 

IW, many happy returns to John!  Do you get a bus pass at 65 in Germany?

TE, I loved my old Hoover but it died a few years ago at about 32 years of age (I think it was largely down to being used when we've been doing major building work!).  A few years ago our local PCSO had a go at stopping people who hadn't cleared their cars of snow and things improved for a while but this time people seem to have forgotten about it.

mcs
22/01/2013 at 15:49

Cant beat a henry vacuum cleaner love ours going strong after 20 plus years. Take it easy Redhead.......cold air and the winter gets into everyone been waking up with sore throat the last couple of days refusing to stop at the moment...... All around dropping like flies, note to self, you cant too busy.......

22/01/2013 at 17:45

Really difficult run today. It was supposed to be 6 miles, but the thaw has set in so that the pavements are covered in slush and ice. Normally I would run on the roads but they are covered in water except for a bit along the middle and that's where the cars were driving. The country lanes are completely flooded, literally impassable. It took me an hour and a quarter to cover 5.3 miles and because I had to walk bits I got cold. In the end I gave up, went home and did 30 mins on the ex bike. Roll on delivery of treadmill - not on Friday now but the following Monday.

Columba - yes, I was a student at Aber. I studied Literature, and David studied International Politics. We got married in our second year ( our respective parents had a fit) and have been together 46 years. I see your part of the world is going to be enjoying lots more snow tonight and tomorrow. Take care.

JJ - Blimey, how did you get to do London at 48 hours notice??? You did amazingly well under the circumstances. You must have been really fit.

BI - You sound as if you are well equipped. Do you have a room set aside in your home as a gym?  New bike turbo - lucky you. Or was it a birthday present for John!

Red - It might be that the weather is exacerbating your breathing problems. As mcs says, everyone is dropping like flies at the moment.  At the very least I think you should abandon all housework on the grounds that the dust raised is not good for you!!

22/01/2013 at 18:53

Red - what Matsmum said - about the dust. Dust mites are notorious for causing asthma. I've heard of people eliminating carpets completely from their homes, and having alternative floor coverings, like wood block, - much less inviting for dust mites. You can get anti-dust-mite stuff to spray on matresses as well. But maybe you've already tried all that?

Snowed this morning, so cancelled the Aber visit. Then it stopped snowing. Thoroughly fed up with not running, so this afternoon put on lots of layers and Innov-8s and ran cautiously, aiming for either the cleared bits of pavements or the bits which had soft or uneven snow, but avoiding the icy bits. Ran across a couple of grassy areas as well (known locally as "the common", - snow very thick there, had to run "high knees" and eventually drop to a walk. Only just over 4 miles but feel much better for it!

22/01/2013 at 19:44

Just popping in before I disappear to warmer climes. Have managed some running in the snow, slow but picturesque. Plan to do a little beach running while away.

Stubbington did go ahead, TE, and a lot of our runners did very well, with a fair sprinkling of PBs.

Hope you all have some good running while I'm away!

22/01/2013 at 21:20

Two dog walks and 30 mins in the gym. Did 3 x 10 minute circuits.
Useful bit of a thaw today. Road salting has been very efficient including getting the side roads done.

matsmum
I metamorphosed into someone else who wasn't there. I was certainly very fit but it was the wrong sort of fitness to sustain the pace at which I ran the first half.
There's a lesson for you. Start at what you think is a slow pace and then slow down a bit more.

Diana
Hope you have the courage to come back. Enjoy.

IW
Many happies to 'im indoors.

TE
From what I've seen in my club you can get away with running a 20 mile race before a marathon if you are young and very fit.. Once you get 60+ you can't recover quickly enough.

Redhead
That was a bad day at the office. Hope things are now better.
JJ
JJ

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 21:23
23/01/2013 at 09:48

BIW happy birthday to John.

Red, sorry that you are still suffering and hope that a solution can be found.

Matsmum and Columba, well done for making the effort to get out and run in very difficult conditions.

Diana, yes, as you said, the Stubbington 10k did go ahead, and quite a few of our runners also took part. I'm glad though, that the four of us did the forest run instead. Hope you have a great holiday

JJ, thanks for the advice. Helen, who I'm running with is young and very fit, but the VLM will be her first marathon, and she wants to treat the 20 miler as a training run. If I do run a marathon, it will be the South Downs, which isn't until June, so I would have plenty of time to recover. 

Last night, we did a hill session in falling snow which didn't settle. We did 4 sets of 5 minutes continuous up and down, with the intention of maintaining a steady pace, and not sprinting up and jogging down. We had a short jog recovery between each set. The snow hasn't settled and none is forecast for today, so I am intending to run an easy pace 8 miles on road.

23/01/2013 at 12:30

Afternoon all,

Our lanes are all clear now and there was even a gritter through the village last night.  I think it's because the school bus collects children from there and there has been much criticism of the schools that closed.  

6 hilly miles @ marathon pace (averaged 'cos there's no way I can maintain marathon pace on those inclines) for me earlier without too many problems, thank goodness.  I did notice that I was doing a very good impression of a 'death rattle' going up the steepest hill!

JJ, doodle walking is excellent exercise and I love doing circuits 

Edited: 23/01/2013 at 12:31
23/01/2013 at 16:32

Thank you JJ.

Matsmum - no, actually we have our stuff in the living room, it's quite a large room and more so now we've got rid of the huge ugly armchair that took up loads of space, and I like to watch TV or videos while I pedal, it makes the time go quicker and I don't get bored.

Hope you are feeling better Red, that sounded very nasty indeed. Sorry you are suffering.

Snow is starting to melt here too, we actually had some sunshine this afternoon. Temperature is supposed to drop but the weather to stay dry, don't mind that, at least you can wear appropriate clothing if it's cold outside.

23/01/2013 at 16:35

Red, a gritter passed me last night as I was running back from the club session. It's the first time that I can recall one going my way,so I thought it was ominous, but we haven't had any snow yet today.

It's been raining all day today, and I did do my planned 8 miles. The pavements were wet, from the rain, but not slippery. It was nice to have been able to run without the fear of falling.

23/01/2013 at 18:16

Red - glad you had a better day (in spite of the "death rattle"!)

Snowed a bit more in the night, and from time to time during the day, - just a few flakes drifting down, nothing much. Walked the two miles into town to attend a funeral (a 96-year-old lady who was in the same care home as my Mum. Described by the priest as "our oldest parishioner") And walked back again. 

23/01/2013 at 19:34

Snow shovelling,exercise bike and pilates today - and the water has disappeared mostly from the roads which is great .  Still very cold with a biting wind. Oh no - heavy rain forecast for the weekend!  I just heard the weather forecast. Can't wait for the treddy - it's got a device on it so you can watch routes in other parts of the world as you run. Great Wall of China, here I come! And it inclines according to the topography of the land. The question is, will I ever get to go on it - everyone else in the family is as delighted as I am !!!

23/01/2013 at 22:24

Bits of snow and a lot of mud now but at least it hasn't snowed or rained.

Matsmum
A club colleague of mine has run a marathon which was mostly on the Great Wall of China. I've walked some of it and it's quite hilly.

TE
You're right. Plenty of time to recover.

Columba
Keep running and you could one day hold the title of oldest parishioner!  
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.