'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,481 to 162,500 of 167,014 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
06/02/2013 at 07:47

Matsmum - feel for you. Losing a pet is always sad, especially in this case as Matt chose her. A woman at our dog club just lost her German Shepherd, his elbows had not grown properly and the vet said the poor dog would always be in pain no matter how much medication he had so the kindest thing would be to put him to sleep before he bit somebody. Her dog was only 14 months old.

Crazy weather here - we've had thunder and lightning with the snow! Never seen that before. Bad road conditions this morning, lots of trucks stuck on hills.

06/02/2013 at 15:39

Afternoon all, having moaned about my asthma, it was warmer today when I did my run and I did a comfortable progression run of 5 miles so am feeling happy again   However, there's a bitter wind whipping up now and we've had some sleet so I might be complaining again tomorrow 

Matsmum, so sorry to hear about your doggy.  They are such a part of the family and the loss is even worse as she was chosen by Matt.

Columba, 2 of the scarves were auctioned off and each time the winning bidder asked that I should keep them which was incredibly generous of them.  Tinker the cat sleeps on the scarf which is the current record holder and the other one comes out with me when I'm doing publicity photos.  The 3rd one I knitted was unravelled and used to crochet granny squares for a blanket for an old peoples home.  The chain I crocheted went into an exhibition at the Knit & Stitch show in London and is now sitting in a bag in my cupboard until I decide what to do with it!

Mcs, hope the interviews went well.

IW, take care in your crazy weather.

Edited: 06/02/2013 at 15:41
06/02/2013 at 18:26

A very cold wind today, and I ran a good pace 6 miles in my new Asic 1000's. They felt a bit hard and stiff for the first half mile or so, but then more comfortable. They are definitely lighter than the previous 1170's, with not so much cushioning, and the lower heel certainly helps with forefoot landing. It took a little while to adjust, but soon seemed natural. I ran quicker than normal on a recovery run, and my leg speed was quicker. I had no problems running up and down hills, and believe that they were a good buy.

06/02/2013 at 20:19

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts.  Reading back over your posts it struck me how we all have challenges.  And I agree - running does keep you sane when things around you go topsy-turvy. Long may our legs continue to carry us.

Red - you are running London!  I am so happy that somebody else is doing it too. Well, apart from 40,000 other people ofcourse. I can't say I will look out for you because I shall be miles behind, but it will be great knowing that you are somewhere in the melee.

6 miles for me today in pouring rain and sharp wind. Then 2 mile cooldown on the treadmill. Pilates class as well. Looooong day at work tomorrow but dance class in evening when K does her athletics training.

On the subject of yoga, I have just bought the Yoga for Runners book, and it does look really good. Haven't tied myself in knots with it yet.

I don't seem to be improving much when it comes to speed.  My 6 milers are always 61 or 62 minutes, and I still feel that I couldn't go much further at the end of my long runs.  On the other hand I don't seem to have aches and pains - or if I do, they are gone within 24 hours. Should I be making more progress do you think? It will be interesting to see how I feel at the end of 15 miles on Sunday.

06/02/2013 at 21:03

BIW - we had a bit of thunder here too, night before last.

Red - how could you bear to unravel it after all that work?

Matsmum - sounds as though you are a bit faster than me. I have done a 10k in a little over an hour, but more than your 61 / 62 minutes. Like you, I don't get aches and pains, other than stiffness for the rest of the day after a run. I used to do a lot of yoga (but that was many years ago - don't do it systematically now, just bits and pieces from time to time). That sounds like an interesting book. 

Didn't run today; was working.

06/02/2013 at 22:44

Bitingly cold northerly wind today. Did two doodle outings and a lot of gardening.

Matsmum
If you are recovering well and staying uninjured you can't be doing too badly. If you want to gain a bit more pace you could change the tactics for the 6 mile run when you finish quickly. Run each mile steadily then run fast for the last 400m or 2 mins of each mile.
You will always feel tired at the end of a long run especially if you're adding a bit more each time. Don't worry, things look OK.
JJ

07/02/2013 at 10:39

Morning all,

It's brrrrr but bright here and I'm itching to get out for my run but awaiting builders who were supposed to be here an hour ago!  When I finally get out it will be 8 miles @ marathon pace.

Matsmum, you're doing fine.  Don't worry about your speed at all as you are still adjusting to doing longer distances and 61 mins for 6 miles is a good pace anyway.  When we find out which start we are both on at VLM we could probably meet up at the start to say hello and calm some nerves.  I won't be running it quickly as I'll have done the Brighton marathon the week before plus I run slowly when I'm doing my knitting at the same time 

JJ, I wish I could get on with more gardening but the ground is absolutely sodden and in my experience with our claggy clay it's best to stay off the beds when it's so wet.

TE, glad your new shoes passed muster.

07/02/2013 at 11:22

Red, thanks. I've got no aches in my legs this morning, so I think they must be ok. I will give them a tougher test this evening during our hill rep session. I may wear them for the Bramley 20, Sunday week, if they give me no problems over the next few days. Do you ever use energy gels in your marathons? I never have, but was thinking about taking a couple with me, in case I feel in need of an energy boost. I have bought High5 citrus burst. It says 3 sachets per hour, but I'm sure that is OTT. Helen who is running with me also has a place in the VLM, so we will use the race as an LSD training run.

mcs
07/02/2013 at 15:51

Got a job offer though low pay but a lot better than dole so thats a bonus!! Finishing next Friday here so going to have a couple of weeks as a full time athlete!!! Another interview next week also. Keep at it everyone, spring is coming, its getting lighter and things always look better in daylight.
Sympathies Matsum.
All the best for Sunday TE. I have used those bit sticky and thick and need water, prefer SIS ones myself.

07/02/2013 at 16:07

Bleurgh, to any form of gel!  Yukkety yuk   I don't even like sports drinks that much as I've felt quite ill when I've drunk too much of them at VLM.  If it's hot on marathon day then I'll usually make up my own using fruit juice or eldlerflower cordial diluted with water and with a pinch of salt.

Mark, glad you've at least had an offer to think about.  Enjoy yourself being an athlete 

07/02/2013 at 16:46

Mark, you seem to be good at interviews, so hopefully the next will be for better pay.

Red, I've never drunk anything other than water during my marathons. I've tried gels in the past, during long training runs, with water, but didn't really seem to get any benefit.

07/02/2013 at 18:47

Mcs - excellent news about the job offer. And hopefully you'll get another offer, with higher pay.

I've never tried gels, - mind you, I've never run more than a half marathon either.

Really cold here today; I didn't realise quite how cold, until I was already out in it and was surprised to come across ice here and there on the pavements. Also on the lake, when I got to it. Did a "pyramid" for a change: 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 (minutes, that is) with similar breaks between, when I walked or jogged. 

07/02/2013 at 21:38

Lovely sunny day but cold.

Redhead
Been doing lawn repairs and edges. Winter pruning. Small increases in the size of a couple of beds. Greenhouse work.

TE
Shoes sound good. I was wondering what difference the lowered heel would make.
For 20 miles and upwards I take fuel on board evry 6 miles if possible. I can force down a gel if I have to but it's easier with water at the same time. 3  gels an hour seems OTT to me. Lucozade Sport as available in VLM is too sickly but at least there's plenty of water to swill it down quickly.  You have enough muscle glycogen to get to 16 - 18 miles without refuelling so you need only enough calories to eke out the stock over the extra miles not replace the whole lot.

mcs
SIS would be my choice too.
Good luck with the job.

Columba
That's just about perfect for a pyramid. Hope you did them each a roughly the same pace.
JJ 

mcs
08/02/2013 at 09:05

Cycled in this morning as I have had such a great commute thought I would make the most of it and though cold enjoyed the ride down the trail.  Enjoy the weekend all and have a good run if you are out there or racing.

08/02/2013 at 09:58

Morning all,

It's a lovely day here, all sunny and cold.  Off out for 7 miles @ marathon pace after lunch when it's warmed up a bit more.  Might still breathe through my buff though (that does sound odd doesn't it?!).

Mark, enjoy your last day and let's hope the next part of your working life is interesting and enjoyable.

I've got to do my long run tomorrow as I'm off to West Dean for a needlework course for a few days from Sunday until Wednesday - I made this week a step-back week to accommodate it.  This means that Mike will be home alone and in charge of animals etc.   I shall be preparing his meals tomorrow!

08/02/2013 at 15:21

It's bright and sunny here also, and very cold. Last night's club session went very well and I wore my new trainers for the second time. We did 4 sets of 5 x 45 secs uphill with jogs down, and a one minute jog recovery between sets. I ran further each rep than I had done in previous sessions, and believe that the shoes being lighter had something to do with it. I even ran further than some of the "fast group." Today was a very good pace 5 miler, with an average pace of 9.26. The combination of new shoes and tapering for next weeks race is certainly producing results.

08/02/2013 at 19:11

Oh, you do that too Redhead? Must admit, I tend to prepare John's meals for him if I'm going to be absent, although he is perfectly capable of cooking his own food.

Hopefully I shall be able to work the dogs tomorrow at the club, we have had snow on and off all day again today. Had enough of this now.

Charly is still in his "teenage hooligan" stage, today he chewed holes in a pair of John's underpants! A man who is not a club member but often visits us anyway, looked at Charly last night and told me, he has big strong bones and muscle, he will be a big dog when fully grown. Have to believe Willy, he's been breeding dogs for many years.

08/02/2013 at 20:44

IW
Charly and me have something in common. - teenage hooligans.

TE
Seems like the shoes were a good move.
JJ

09/02/2013 at 09:19

Oh, so you chew underpants too, JJ???

09/02/2013 at 11:34

Morning all,

Today is somewhat surreal in Redheadland.  Last night the BBC news released details of Fran's death and this morning her photo is splashed across the front page of both The Times and The Telegraph with in-depth stories inside.  I didn't go into details on here before but she was the only witness in a the trial of a high profile sex offender, in the world of classical music, who has now been convicted.  

When she gave evidence she was entitled to anonymity but following her death the Police had advised Levine that her name would be released.  As I type this I am sitting in our music room in the chair she sat in just a few weeks ago.  I am reading quotes from Ollie, one of her sons, who I cradled as a babe in arms 21 years ago and is now having to deal with the attentions of the Press.  She was at the Royal Academy of Music when Mike studied there.

I did smile at one point as Fran was being cross-examined when the prosecutor accused her of being "an attention-seeker and a fantasist", to which Fran replied "Bollocks!  That's why people are reluctant to press charges in this sort of case".  Feisty lady to the end.  Sadly she took the comments and trauma of the trial to heart so much that she felt unable to carry on living.

Sorry to share this on here but I just needed to write it somewhere and it feels better to do it in here  amongst people I trust and respect rather than on Facebook.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 11:40
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.