'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,521 to 162,540 of 165,821 messages
12/02/2013 at 12:58

Not raining or snowing. Time for a hosepipe ban.

IW
What's the significance of "fat"?
JJ

12/02/2013 at 20:11

Six miles in freezing weather with snow flurries in 60mins and 24secs.  Woohoo!  I struggled with the last 2 miles, but a good time for me.  We are off to Spain at 4.30am so an early night is called for. Thursday I shall run round the mountain and entertain the mountain goats who stand and look at me as if I am completely mad. ( 'Nuff said! ) I have internet in the house so will be in touch - and definitely sending positive vibes for that 20 miler on Sunday.  JJ - you are a very funny man:  loved the quip about the hosepipe ban. And yes, 16.5 distance is probably better. Night all.

12/02/2013 at 21:19

5.37 miles with the running club in temperature about 1 degree above zero. But OK once we got going. Then home to a pile of pancakes.

JJ, I assume that the "gras" in Mardi Gras is rather like the "gras" in "foie gras". Something meltingly luxurious.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
12/02/2013 at 22:06

Mardi gras translates literally as "fat Tuesday", no idea why but I have an inkling it could be because of the massive amount of food and drink consumed? Carnival season happens all over the continent, starting at 11:11am on 11 November and finishing today, Shrove Tuesday. The Italian "Carneval" is a little bit later but well worth a visit, very traditional with wonderful masks and costumes. It's great fun on the European ski slopes too on the final Sunday with everyone dressed up in wild and wacky costumes! Tomorrow there will be lots of solemn suited and top-hatted people marching in funeral processions to "bury" the carnival for another year.

13/02/2013 at 08:56

Speed  session went ahead ok last night. It comprised 4x30secs with jogs back, 4x45secs with jog backs and 4x 60secs with jog backs. Total mileage was 6.

13/02/2013 at 20:47

Another cold day. Put on multi-layers and went for an easy 3 mile run to get warm. It just about worked.

TE
Just about the right distance for a speed session. Any more than that and you lose the speed element and it turns into more of a tempo run.

Columba
I was wondering if the "something meltingly luxurious" description fitted me?
JJ

14/02/2013 at 10:31

Morning all,

I'm back from my course but still catching up with emails and life so haven't read back yet.  Hope you're all well.  Will be out for a run soon and will chat later.

mcs
14/02/2013 at 15:02

10K in 47 mins at lunch muddy and windy run up the Monsal Trail to the first tunnel and back.............cup of tea and a butty me thinks. Managed three 7.47, 745,750 min miles and the others were 8.30,8.15, 8.10 so happy with that, wind in the face out and behind me coming back, loads of dogs and mud and kids, school holidays have begun me thinks.

14/02/2013 at 15:56

No time tonight - our dog club AGM is tomorrow and I'm auditor so have to go over to the treasurer's house to check the books and the petty cash on hand. Still, not working tomorrow so will be able to get a run with the dogs.

14/02/2013 at 17:14

I have given up tea and coffee for Lent, and yesterday was suffering from caffeine withdrawal symptoms, but today felt lively enough to go out for a gentle 2-and-a-bit mile run. My brain will have to learn how to make its own stimulants over the next 6 weeks.

JJ - well, it's a while since I saw you; so I don't know whether "meltingly luxurious" would be an accurate description, or maybe just "gras".

14/02/2013 at 19:16

A bright, sunny day, although feeling colder than the official 8 degrees. Went for a very easy pace 4 miles this afternoon, and it was good to be wearing shorts again.

14/02/2013 at 22:02

I assume you ladies have finished opening your heaps of Valentine cards?

Columba
I think "meltingly luxuriously gras" would be about right.

mcs
That was a good run. Well done.

TE
Shorts!!! It's not May yet.
JJ

mcs
15/02/2013 at 11:42

Wow giving up coffee and tea, not sure I could do that. Could give up meat or choccie me thinks. All the best with that Columbia.............

Tiling a porch floor and decorating this weekend, its a job!!! I will do anything for cash!!!

Another interview on Monday and an offer in writing landed last night so options for work becoming available. Have a good weekend all.

15/02/2013 at 15:52

At the risk of becoming highly unpopular I can tell you that the weather here in Spain is really lovely. We have never known it to be like this in February - we have had snow and gales and shivered over a wood fire in years gone by, but something strange has happened to the climate this year. And we are loving it! 

Did 4 miles mountain run yesterday - 2 miles down   then 2 miles up to the summit  - certainly had to concentrate hard for that bit.

Mardi Gras was originally a pagan festival of great bechauchery. When Christianity came along to put a damper on such things people kept the same date to eat up their cheese and milk and meat before the onset of Lent, when they would eat only fish and veg.  Hence Fat Tuesday. ( I am a mine of information about this stuff because of teaching children. I can tell you all about St. Valentine too if you wish! )

mcs - You are obviously going to be in demand and I am not at all surprised.

Columbia - You are a better person than I am . I don't think I could give up tea. It's my lifesaver when I stagger down in the morning. Like mcs I could give up meat or chocolate, but I suppose that is not the point - it has to be a sacrifice. So well done, you.

I am suffering a bit after that sore throat and cold, sporting a massive cold sore from nose to mouth.   I feel like hiding away. At least it is half term holiday so hopefully it will be gone by the time I have to face the kids again.

I have sorted out a 16.5 run for tomorrow along the trasvasse, so wish me luck.

Hasta luego!  Have a good evening everyone.

15/02/2013 at 18:09

I have often thought of giving up tea and coffee for Lent, but this is the first year I've actually done it. Not sure if I'll stick to it for the whole 6 weeks... Doing without that first cup in the morning is misery.

Was working this morning, but got home in time to do a bit of tidying-up in the garden.

15/02/2013 at 21:51

Matsmum, good that you are having lovely weather. It has improved here in Hampshire, bright and sunny, and up to 8 degrees. It was below freezing overnight, however, and the cars were icy this  morning. I envy your mountain running, as that must be something really special.

Columba, that's a real challenge giving up tea and coffee for Lent. A bigger challenge would be giving up running for 40 days I couldn't do it.

I am using today and tomorrow as rest days from running, so that I'm "feeling fresh" for Sunday's race.

15/02/2013 at 22:22

Evening all, do you mind if I jump in? Is 50 old or young on here?

I lived in Spain for a while a good few years back Matsmum- Barcelona region- where r u?

Bionic- I like the French phrase gras matin- fat morning. It means a lazy morning typically at the weekend.  

16/02/2013 at 09:46

Hi 00 50 and welcome to the thread. We are all ages on here, some are younger and many of us are older than you. Are you a competitive runner, or just run for fitness and enjoyment?

16/02/2013 at 12:44

I'm old but competitive TE, just turned 50 this Jan 

16/02/2013 at 18:10

Lots of us on here are older than 50. Some of us quite a lot older!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.