'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,541 to 162,560 of 167,193 messages
16/02/2013 at 21:14

Hello and welcome 00 50.

I started running 11 years ago and am now in my late 60s. Can't run at any speed but have done a couple of half-marathons and a few shorter races. 

JJ - grand-daughter all day and then straight to a meeting with no dinner?? - That sounds Bad.

8.87 miles this afternoon at an incredibly slow speed, - I bet Matsmum's mountain run was faster. I blame the lack of caffeine in the bloodstream.

16/02/2013 at 21:15

All good wishes to TE - I look forward to hearing all about it.

16/02/2013 at 23:15

I see we have some spritely old folks on here . I have been running for 25 years or so and expect my legs to be giving up on me some tome soon.

Matsmum, I know Murcia. My wife did a month of teacher training there and we made a family visit. I didn't get to run unfortunately.

Well I'm also racing tomorrow in the build up for the London Marathon which I'll do in April. It the Buttermere Round, a small race from Keswick for enthusiasts of hills. It's 34K and includes the Honister Pass. Not for the faint hearted   

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 23:17
17/02/2013 at 07:10

Thanks everyone for your best wishes, and I'll do my best not to let you down. It's 3 degrees at the moment, with a top temperature of 9 degrees forecast. The car is covered in frost, so I will be "defrosting it" in good time before we set off. We have been meticulous in our training, not missing a club session, or planned training runs. We can do no more now, than to enjoy the race, and finish in good condition.

00 50 good luck with your race, and we look forward to your race report.

17/02/2013 at 14:39

Afternoon all,

Thanks for all your support.  The circle of life continues and Josh (Fran's eldest) has just announced that his girlfriend Emma will be having a baby in August so Levine will be a granddad 

OK, I'm fully up to date with all your antics!  Here's a brief summary of what I've been up to - West Dean was fab (Columba, I was learning, not teaching) and I ran each day, all on hilly lanes so I've done some Kenyan hills and some intervals.  Today I did 18 miles on a route with a very hilly first part (9.5 miles) with an undulating second part (8.5 miles).  It took 2 hours to do the first bit and then  1.5 hours to do the second bit which gives some indication of the inclines   Just been out for a 3 mile walk to loosen my legs and am feeling good.  My breathing was laboured on the really steep bits but not as bad as it has been so I'm happy 

Hi OO and welcome to the thread.  I'm a few years older than you but haven't been running as long (just 11 years).  Hope your race went well - sounds like a lovely route (I love hills!!!).  I'll be doing VLM too with Brighton the week before.

Matsmum, well done on your long run.  Try not to worry about your time and, as JJ says, just think of it as 'time on feet'.  If I stopped to think about my times I'd be really downhearted as most of my routes are hilly, but I know that on a flat course I run much faster.

Terry, sorry I didn't make it on here to wish you good luck but I have been sending you supportive vibes so I hope it went well.  I bet it was a doddle for you actually as you'd be keeping the pace down for your partner.

Columba, LOL at your caffeine withdrawal!  I'm doing my vegan stint for Lent as usual but I'm allowed caffeine   Someone told me today that they are allowed to have weekends off their abstenance which seemed a bit odd to me.  I always do it for the whole time.

JJ are you running the TWells 1/2 or marshalling?  I decided against doing it this year.

IW, how's your running comeback going?

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
17/02/2013 at 14:43

'00' 50 - hope the race went well.  I am 63 and female, began running at age 11, worked my way through track, cross country, and orienteering prior to doing any road running, then managed 45 marathons and 7 Ironman triathlons before being sidelined by injury last year. Just getting back into running since Christmas, I had to have a hip replacement (titanium, hence the name) last summer and suffer through a 6-month running ban.

2000m swim this morning, 1 hour on the bike, and a 1 mile run - getting back into normal Sunday training mode! First triathlon this year on 12th May. 

17/02/2013 at 14:54

'OO' - I don't think you need anticipate your legs giving up on you (or perhaps it depends on what you mean by "giving up").  Getting slower is inevitable as we get older, but I don't think giving up is inevitable unless we develop some really disabling condition.

Red - the concept of actually loving hills is one that escapes me. Getting used to them, yes; coping with them, yes; even taking them in your stride, yes; but loving them?

Within the RC Church you're allowed the day off Lenton observance if it's a "Holy Day of Obligation". In England and Wales, however, no such "Holy Days" fall in Lent. In Ireland, St. Patrick's Day does, and Irish children who've given up sweets for Lent have a sweetie binge on St. Patrick's Day. But weekends, no. I suppose you might make a case for Sundays, but not the whole weekend.

Did you learn a lot of useful stuff on your course?

17/02/2013 at 15:55

Columba, thanks for clarifying the Lent thing.  I learnt loads and am busy uploading photos at the moment.  Full details will be on my blog eventually but it will take me ages to write about it!

17/02/2013 at 17:52

Bionic, I always wondered about hip replacement (surely a sign of age), so you can run after the op? Does it shorten the life of the joint?

Well I also love the Lakes and the race today was indeed vey scenic. I love hills too Redhead but where I live it's flat so this race is hard to train for and is a real killer. Anyhow I ran well and came 6th in a small field of around 50-60 hardcore runners. Mainly mountain goat types with beards and stoops and feet that point upwards- and that was just the ladies. I'm feeling pleased with myself although my ability to walk is somewhat restricted this evening.

And all credit to the Vet runners. Of the top 6 finishers, 2 were 40+ and 2 were 50+ 

17/02/2013 at 19:35

Red, thanks for your supportive vibes and also Matsmum.

Helen and I were running "on a high," as my Daughter has announced she is arranging her marriage in April, and Helen got engaged on Valentines Day.

The race went really well, and we finished well inside our target of 3.30, in 3.23.15, an average of 10.07, and a staggering 2394 calories. I felt much stronger during the second 10 miles (it was two 10 mile circuits) through going at an easy pace, but kept a steady 10 minute miling pace. Helen said that she wouldn't mind if I sped off for the last 3 or 4 miles, but it was her training race for the VLM, and I was there as her pacemaker. I felt so proud of her as she was able to put in a sprint at the finish, and we crossed the line together. We were very disappointed, however, that there wasn't a wine glass in the goodie bag, as  had been in the past. I'm looking forward now to the results, to see where I came in the 65-70 class, that is if they break it down that far. We have had discussions on this thread before, as how unfair it is to categorise 60-70. What chance does a 67 year old have of getting in the top 3, against young 60 year olds.

00 50 well done in your race, sounds like a toughie. I presume it was all off road? I much prefer trail running in the forest, as long distance running on the road is rather boring, and not kind to the joints and muscles.

Columba, I love hills, and always have done, since I was a paper boy, riding a trade bike with panniers each side loaded with papers, and cycling up a very steep hill. The bike had no gears and very dodgy brakes. It wouldn't be allowed on the roads these days!

17/02/2013 at 20:20

Well done!

My surgeon says I can run up to half-marathon distance, but no more marathons, which of course means I can't do any more Ironman distance triathlons, except as swimmer or more likely cyclist in a relay team. I'm too slow as a swimmer to be of much use in a team. Life span of a titanium joint is 15 years. I am back up to running 10km, not very fast yet but working on it.

17/02/2013 at 20:52

TE
I've been campaigning for years about putting everyone over 60 into the same age group. It's rediculous at a time when the age degeneration curve is steepening quickly. I've had some success in Kent where there is now an M70 category in the XC league.

Lots of good things to celebrate!

Good result. Well done. I've always had a problem with hilly races. I run well on hills but I like aiming for PBs and the two are a big mismatch.

Red
I shall be marshalling. Haven't done enough training for a 10k let alone a 1/2m.
Your training is looking quite good.
JJ

17/02/2013 at 22:27

It was all on road TE, but what a road...Great effort on your race, very good of you to play the role of paceman.

Amazing bionic, sounds like nothig can stop you! Unfortunately I can only run. I can swim long distances with breast stroke but pathetically slow.  

18/02/2013 at 09:37

I swim crawl but not very fast, I have a best time for 1000m of 23 mns whereas my OH has a PB of 16:24. Not allowed to swim breast stroke, the frog-kick rotation is very bad for hip patients.

18/02/2013 at 11:09

Morning all,

Swimming is for frogs and fish 

Well done 00.  Sounds as if you're a speedy boy if you came in 6th in a field of mountain goats!

TE. well done to you and your protege.  Did she find it a comfortable pace?  I'm assuming she's aiming for 9.5 min miling for the actual marathon?

No running today but lots of gardening as it's a glorious day 

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 11:09
18/02/2013 at 11:43

Red, thanks. She found the first circuit to be quite comfortable, but tough during the second. Probably miles 15 to 18 were the toughest for her and I really had to use all my race experience and encouragement to keep her up to speed. During the last 2 miles, we were passing lots of runners who had set off too quickly, and were tiring. This encouraged Helen, and we actually picked up the pace, and the last mile in 9.41 was the quickest of all. I was very impressed that she was able to manage a sprint finish. Regarding the VLM I think she would be happy to maintain a 10 min pace. I didn't take any gels with me, and just drank water at the drinks stations, although some had energy drinks as well.

I am now very undecided on the way ahead for myself, race wise.I am very tempted to enter the SD Marathon and Pompey Coastal Marathon, as I will be continuing a high mileage plus club speed and hill sessions, so that I can continue to do the LSD runs with Helen in the weeks leading to race day. My quandary is, do I make the most of the mileage for marathons, or consider the mileage as "in the bank," and concentrate more on speed work, to get my 10k, 10 mile and half marathon times down. I would appreciate any comments or advice on which route to take.

18/02/2013 at 15:45

Terence I'd say it depends when the marathon is. I train for a marathon for about 4 months but keep up my base mileage all year with a 18-20 mile long run ever 4-6 weeks. Then it comes as less of a shock. If your planned race is less that 4 months you need to keep on with the marathon plan. If it's more than that you can concentrate on other distances, with speed work etc. And with an occasional long run to keep your hand in.

18/02/2013 at 16:20

TE, well you know my answer to that - marathons!  Having said that, I reckon you could smash some of your pbs on the way to the SDM as that's many months away yet.  Are you looking for a marathon pb too?  (sorry, I can't remember what yours is).  I don't think many people would consider the SDM to be a marathon to enter for a pb, but then you are super-speedy.........

18/02/2013 at 17:31

TE, Well done!  I sent positive vibes to you at 10.35, thinking you were probably just under way!

OO50,Fantastic effort - Buttermere is supposed to be harder than a marathon, so you should find London a breeze. I am so happy you are going to be there. I am 65 and this is my first marathon.  Friends on this forum are talking me through it. Red is running it too. Just ask her what she is going to be doing while she runs !!   I am not in the least competitive except with myself. I have always kept fit but mostly through dance. I think the fastest I have run was when I was 14 and the Cuban missile crisis was under way. It was when the Cold War came closest to turning into nuclear conflict. My parents were at work and every day I used to try to run home within 4 minutes which was the warning you got, so that I could be at home with my dog when we were blown to smithereens!  ( Does anybody else remember MAD - the term for mutual assured destruction? )  I started properly running after Good Friday 2009 when my 24 year old son died in a car accident. And now I want to run marathons.  I am determined VLM will be the first of many.

JJ,  how old is your granddaughter? My lot are ages 17, 16, 14, 13, 11, 8, 7, 7, 5, 2, and 2.  I have founded a dynasty.

Little K is representing the Eastern Region in Derbyshire in March. She is going by coach and staying in a hotel over night. She thinks she's died and gone to heaven!

18/02/2013 at 17:36

BI - I forgot to say that my husband has bought us some walking poles to do some Nordic Walking. We looked up how to do it on you tube and then had a go on the mountain road.  I am sorry to say that we were absolutely helpless with laughter and didn't achieve any kind of workout.  But heyho, tomorrow is another day. We will get the proper ones when we go home. Can you recommend a make please?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.