'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,561 to 162,580 of 166,991 messages
18/02/2013 at 18:10

Matmum that is sad indeed- so sorry for your loss. I know when I returned to marathon running in 2007 I motivated myself by saying he performance was dedicated to my dad, who died young at 44, same age as me when I ran that race.   

On the other hand I was going to suggest you dance your way round the marathon course- now that would be first!

Rest today, my legs are shot to pieces.

18/02/2013 at 19:08

Thanks 00 55, Red and Matsmum. The South Downs Marathon is in June, and the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon on 22nd December. I know December is a very long way off, but it is nearly full already, and I need to make my mind up quite quickly.

My marathon pb is 3hrs 12, which was the New Forest Marathon, set way back in 1993, when I was 47. There is no question of me getting even remotely near to that time, and I was thinking 5 hours would be more realistic for the SDM.

I certainly intend keeping up the quality work with the club, so will enter the shorter races whether I decide to enter the marathons or not. I'm not feeling too bad after yesterday, just an ache in the quads if I sit down for too long. I walked for about a mile this morning, which helped to ease the stiffness in my legs.

Matsmum, very sorry to hear of the loss of your son. I wish you luck in your first marathon, and hope it is the first of many.

18/02/2013 at 20:33

'lo all
A bit over 3 miles off road this morning with the doodle. Had several rest breaks waiting for her to catch up. She was in one of her "I'm in no hurry" moods.

TE
Run the marathons but use shorter distance races as speed training. They will also help you get race fit. I have done most of my PBs en route to marathons.

Matsmum
The latest grandaughter is 4 months. We have 2 other grandaughters aged 9 and 7 and a grandson of 4.

Redhead
I joined you in the garden for most of the day. Unfortunately it was mine .
If I was meant to swim I'd have webbed feet.
JJ

18/02/2013 at 21:26

Thanks JJ and everyone else for your comments and advice. You have more or less confirmed that what I had wanted to do was not crazy. I will, therefore, enter both marathons, and still race the shorter distances that I had planned.

JJ, good to hear that you have done an off road run today. I hope that you will continue running, even if not racing.

19/02/2013 at 08:09

Morning all,

Oh my but I'm a redheaded whirlwind this morning!  I had so much to do first thing that after being up for 3 hours this is the first chance I've had for a coffee break before heading off to a lay champions meeting with DeNDRoN (I do wish they'd change their name 'cos every time I type it I think of trees!!!).  My intervals will be done this afternoon and I'm hoping to sneak in a bit of gardening too 

JJ, glad to hear you dragged yourself for an off-road plod.  I think you should get yourself 10k fit and drag me to a 10k pb later in the year   I consider this year to be my sensible year, ahem, with only 2 marathons early in the year and then my streak, so I reckon I could be up for a crack at my 54:12 at Brighton in November (yes, I know I hate the overcrowding, tacky medal and the fact that it almost always rains!).

Terry, we just confirmed what you wanted to do all along.  You'll shine in all your races 

Matsmum, LOL at your walking poles.  I bought some for my hubby several years ago and he decided to test them by walking across our land.  As he strode across the horses field, Esther galloped towards him and reared up then nearly kicked him which really scared him.  We suspect she may have had a bad experience with a man and a stick in the past as she is a rescue horse.  I don't think he's used them since.

00, dancing around VLM has been done before.  You'd be amazed at the things people get up to!

Right must dash.  Have a lovely day everyone 

19/02/2013 at 09:41

Red, you're quite right, I just wanted reassurance. Your mention of DeNDRon reminded my of the song De Do Run Run De Do Run Run, which I think was by the Ronnettes?  I can remember several amazing runners in the London Marathon. There was one who played a clarinet, a wine waiter who carried a wine glass and bottle on a tray, a juggler and many others. There was also the amazing Red, who knitted the worlds longest scarf. I'm sure you'll crack your PB for the 10k this year. A mixture of long runs, speed work, hill reps, tempo and recovery runs will bring success.

The results of my race our now out and I was 7th in the 65-70 category and 694 out of 780. Helen was 695 with the same gun time as me, but she was a second ahead on chip time. There were also 70-75 results, but prize wise, there was only one for first over 60, nothing for the older categories.

19/02/2013 at 09:54

Having had two rest days in succession, I shall be out with the running club this evening. I usually swim on a Monday, but having discovered that there are swimming lessons available in a neighbouring town on a Thursday, I am switching to them. I need someone to teach me how to swim front crawl.

Matsmum, you must have started young with your dynasty. My five children are all in their 30s and 20s, but I have only one grandchild as yet, age 16 months.

I have wondered about walking poles. I suspect I would need instruction. After reading about Matsmum's experience, and Redhead's hubby's, I'm sure of it!

19/02/2013 at 12:48

Columba, my wife uses Nordic walking poles after joining a free course run by SUSTRANS (sustainable transport). I have joined her a couple of times and I struggle to keep up, there's a real knack to it but I really enjoyed it- definately worth looking into.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
19/02/2013 at 14:30

I didn't find it too hard to learn but then I've been x-country skiing for years and the movements are approx the same.

Matsmum - sorry, can't help you there, I got mine from Aldi!

19/02/2013 at 14:32

It's bliddy well snowing again! Just got a message that dog training's off this evening. Oh how I wish we had an indoor hall as well as our field. S'pose I'll go swimming instead.

19/02/2013 at 21:43

Another 3 mile shamble today. Just ticking over.
Don't see any need for walking poles but I would like a pogo stick. I think it's called attention seeking?

TE
I expect to get back to racing at some stage.

Redhead
If I'm fit towards the end of the year I will happily run Brighton with you. If you don't like Brighton I'm sure we can find another quick course. You should train for sub-50 so that even if you miss it by 2 mins you still get your PB by a mile.

JJ

19/02/2013 at 23:30

5* 1km for me this evening. I'd have preferred a gentle recovery jog but my daughter wanted to go to the running club. Felt OK once I loosened up but shamble mode here too. Nice to have my daughter (15) showing an interest in running.

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 23:31
20/02/2013 at 05:52

A pogo stick, JJ? I broke my nose falling off one of those when I was 11 years old!

20/02/2013 at 09:15

Morning all,

Dreary and dank here.  10 miles done @ marathon pace earlier;  I'm loving these lighter mornings 

Oh I loved my pogo stick.  Great fun!

00, excellent that your daughter wants to run.  It's good to see youngsters getting involved as we're always hearing about them not getting any exercise.

JJ, sub 50 is scary but I'd like to have a go.  I'll get the marathons out of the way and then concentrate more on that.

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 09:23
20/02/2013 at 09:59

Red, well done on your 10 miler so early in the morning. Has the SDM always been held on a Saturday? I'm sure I've asked this question before, but is it advisable to wear trail shoes?

A good club session last night. We did a pyramid session comprising 1,2,3,3,2,1 round a 300 metre circular route. Legs were ok after the pre session drills, and I ran the last 3 efforts quicker that the first 3. I'm just going for a short easy run this morning, as we're doing a 10 miler tomorrow at the club. Only 3 weeks now to the Salisbury 10 mile race, and I'm hoping to race it hard.

20/02/2013 at 10:19

'OO' - interesting that your wife did a course in walking pole use with Sustrans - I'm a long-term member of Sustrans (despite having given up cycling), but have never noticed any walking pole courses being publicised. Must look into it.

BIW - your mention of X-country skiing reminded me that Eldest Son did some of that earlier this year, and has never told me how it went. Must ask him.

Red - I think JJ likes suggesting scary things.

4.6 miles with the running club last night, around town, up and down hills. One of the men who usually runs with the group was instead taking his daughter running, - we kept co-inciding at convenient gathering-points. In my case, it was my children who started me running rather than the other way round.

20/02/2013 at 14:24

TE, yes, it's been on a Saturday since its inception which was very fortunate the first time I ran it as it coincided with my 50th birthday so i ran round with a birthdya balloon attached to my waist.  

The trail shoes debate always comes up with any of the marathons on the Downs.  I think it really depends on the type of trail shoe you use as there are slippery muddy bits where they are useful but then on the chalky flinty bits they don't really make much difference.  I like to wear my trails as I am prone to falling over at the slightest thing, as you know.  There's always a mix on the day but I reckon that if it's been raining at all then you definitely need trail shoes. IMHO of course and plenty of people will disagree with me. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Oh, and I bet you run a good time at the Salisbury 10 miler.

Columba, you seem to be doing well with the club.  Are you contemplating any races this year?  You did so well in your 1/2 last year it wold be interesting to see how you've progressed.

20/02/2013 at 16:28

Red, thanks for the info, I will take road and trail shoes to be on the safe side.

My 4 mile run this morning was intended to be at an easy pace, but after about .5 mile, I saw a runner quite a way ahead, Being competitive, I couldn't resist trying to catch him, and he slowed a bit up the very steep hill. I caught him soon after the top and must have been shifting, as I looked at my watch and it was registering 8.36 pace. I ran with him for another mile before turning back, and it turned out that he had been a member of the club until about 20 years ago. He looked really old, but was still amazingly fast. I didn't like to ask him his age, as some people are a bit touchy about things like that.

20/02/2013 at 22:00

No running today. Did a lot of work up a ladder yesterday and it's left my legs feeling very stiff.

IW
An unusual injury to explain to the A & E folks.

00-50
My daughters stopped exercising at about 15 and have both got back to exercising in their mid-30s

Redhead
A target isn't worth having if it's easy. Make sure you do at least one speed session a week at 9 minute miling or better.

TE
If you want a 10 mile target I ran my PB of 77 mins at age 66. That's 7:42 miling and a tiny fraction faster than my best 10k pace which is odd. 

Columba
I've always been prepared to have a go at any sensible challenge. I like working out what's needed to reach the target.
JJ

20/02/2013 at 22:06

Tunbridge Wells Harriers 1/2m on Sunday next. Here's the publicity blurb.

Only a few days to go.. and no it's not going to snow!

Thought you might like a sneak preview of the highlights before I send it out to the media:
We've got Bagpuss, the TW Mayoress and over 2800 runners signed up, making the 30th Anniversary the best race yet. There'll be goody bags, amazing medals and lovely t-shirts for all runners. Check out a photo of the medal on Facebook:   http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=590889697591642&set=a.182253461788603.47885.165359496811333&type=1&theater

The overall race is likely to be a close contest between Essex based Tom Payn and last year’s second place runner, Paul Marteletti, both of whom are capable of running around 66-68 minutes for the 13.1 mile course.Without last year’s winner and course record holder, Helen Decker, the women’s race is more open. Paddock Wood AC athlete Tina Oldershaw who has won the race 5 times, is likely to be the main contender and to see her take a 6th win on the 30thAnniversary would be a great achievement.

Race Ambassadors – Unfortunately, Richard Whitehead has had to pull out at short notice, BUT we have 4 Olympians from London 2012 representing the Dame Kelly Holmes Legacy Trust who will start the race, hand out medals and prizes.

Darren Harris – Paralympic Footballer http://www.paralympics.org.uk/gb/athletes/darren-harris

Karina Bryant – Olympic Bronze Medallist, Judo http://www.dkhlegacytrust.org/Our-World-Class-Athletes_6791_Karina%20_Bryant

Alistair Patrick-Heselton –Paralympic Footballer http://www.dkhlegacytrust.org/Our-World-Class-Athletes_6767_Alistair_Patrick-Heselton

Kelly Edwards – Olympian, Judo http://www.teamgb.com/athletes/kelly-edwards-0

·Tunbridge Wells Mayoress, Rebecca Smith is taking part in aid of Hospice in the Weald, after her own personal battle against breast cancer.

·Oldest man in the race is our very own Graham Brooks at 81 years old. Graham will be running in race number 1, in recognition of his participation it the very first race 30 years ago in 1983. Alongside him, is Tunbridge Wells Harriers club mate, Eric Schofield, who will run in race number 2 who also took part in the inaugural event.

Race Statistics:

·Host club Tunbridge Wells Harriers will have 90 runners taking part.

·Number of TW runners – 550 runners are from Tunbridge Wells itself, with 1584 (over half the entrants) living in Kent

·Male/Female split: 874 women v’s 1986 men

·Oldest runner – Graham Brooks from TW. 81 yrs old

·Youngest runner – Adam Harber, from TW. 17 years old

For further information, interviews, photographs and press information, please contact Sarah Russell Race Director on 07900 825836 or email halfmarathon@twharriers.org.uk.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.