'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,581 to 162,600 of 166,383 messages
20/02/2013 at 14:24

TE, yes, it's been on a Saturday since its inception which was very fortunate the first time I ran it as it coincided with my 50th birthday so i ran round with a birthdya balloon attached to my waist.  

The trail shoes debate always comes up with any of the marathons on the Downs.  I think it really depends on the type of trail shoe you use as there are slippery muddy bits where they are useful but then on the chalky flinty bits they don't really make much difference.  I like to wear my trails as I am prone to falling over at the slightest thing, as you know.  There's always a mix on the day but I reckon that if it's been raining at all then you definitely need trail shoes. IMHO of course and plenty of people will disagree with me. Sorry I can't be more helpful. Oh, and I bet you run a good time at the Salisbury 10 miler.

Columba, you seem to be doing well with the club.  Are you contemplating any races this year?  You did so well in your 1/2 last year it wold be interesting to see how you've progressed.

20/02/2013 at 16:28

Red, thanks for the info, I will take road and trail shoes to be on the safe side.

My 4 mile run this morning was intended to be at an easy pace, but after about .5 mile, I saw a runner quite a way ahead, Being competitive, I couldn't resist trying to catch him, and he slowed a bit up the very steep hill. I caught him soon after the top and must have been shifting, as I looked at my watch and it was registering 8.36 pace. I ran with him for another mile before turning back, and it turned out that he had been a member of the club until about 20 years ago. He looked really old, but was still amazingly fast. I didn't like to ask him his age, as some people are a bit touchy about things like that.

20/02/2013 at 22:00

No running today. Did a lot of work up a ladder yesterday and it's left my legs feeling very stiff.

IW
An unusual injury to explain to the A & E folks.

00-50
My daughters stopped exercising at about 15 and have both got back to exercising in their mid-30s

Redhead
A target isn't worth having if it's easy. Make sure you do at least one speed session a week at 9 minute miling or better.

TE
If you want a 10 mile target I ran my PB of 77 mins at age 66. That's 7:42 miling and a tiny fraction faster than my best 10k pace which is odd. 

Columba
I've always been prepared to have a go at any sensible challenge. I like working out what's needed to reach the target.
JJ

20/02/2013 at 22:06

Tunbridge Wells Harriers 1/2m on Sunday next. Here's the publicity blurb.

Only a few days to go.. and no it's not going to snow!

Thought you might like a sneak preview of the highlights before I send it out to the media:
We've got Bagpuss, the TW Mayoress and over 2800 runners signed up, making the 30th Anniversary the best race yet. There'll be goody bags, amazing medals and lovely t-shirts for all runners. Check out a photo of the medal on Facebook:   http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=590889697591642&set=a.182253461788603.47885.165359496811333&type=1&theater

The overall race is likely to be a close contest between Essex based Tom Payn and last year’s second place runner, Paul Marteletti, both of whom are capable of running around 66-68 minutes for the 13.1 mile course.Without last year’s winner and course record holder, Helen Decker, the women’s race is more open. Paddock Wood AC athlete Tina Oldershaw who has won the race 5 times, is likely to be the main contender and to see her take a 6th win on the 30thAnniversary would be a great achievement.

Race Ambassadors – Unfortunately, Richard Whitehead has had to pull out at short notice, BUT we have 4 Olympians from London 2012 representing the Dame Kelly Holmes Legacy Trust who will start the race, hand out medals and prizes.

Darren Harris – Paralympic Footballer http://www.paralympics.org.uk/gb/athletes/darren-harris

Karina Bryant – Olympic Bronze Medallist, Judo http://www.dkhlegacytrust.org/Our-World-Class-Athletes_6791_Karina%20_Bryant

Alistair Patrick-Heselton –Paralympic Footballer http://www.dkhlegacytrust.org/Our-World-Class-Athletes_6767_Alistair_Patrick-Heselton

Kelly Edwards – Olympian, Judo http://www.teamgb.com/athletes/kelly-edwards-0

·Tunbridge Wells Mayoress, Rebecca Smith is taking part in aid of Hospice in the Weald, after her own personal battle against breast cancer.

·Oldest man in the race is our very own Graham Brooks at 81 years old. Graham will be running in race number 1, in recognition of his participation it the very first race 30 years ago in 1983. Alongside him, is Tunbridge Wells Harriers club mate, Eric Schofield, who will run in race number 2 who also took part in the inaugural event.

Race Statistics:

·Host club Tunbridge Wells Harriers will have 90 runners taking part.

·Number of TW runners – 550 runners are from Tunbridge Wells itself, with 1584 (over half the entrants) living in Kent

·Male/Female split: 874 women v’s 1986 men

·Oldest runner – Graham Brooks from TW. 81 yrs old

·Youngest runner – Adam Harber, from TW. 17 years old

For further information, interviews, photographs and press information, please contact Sarah Russell Race Director on 07900 825836 or email halfmarathon@twharriers.org.uk.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
21/02/2013 at 06:24

JJ - never went to A&E, i was knocked out and my mother called the family doctor who came and pronounced me concussed. In those days they didn't put a strapping on a broken nose so it was just left to heal.

21/02/2013 at 09:11

JJ, thanks for "the challenge!" I'm 67 so 77 minutes will be a tough challenge. I haven't run the Salisbury 10 before, so don't know whether or not it is a fast course. I was aiming for sub 80, but will now try harder!

It's minus 1 at the moment in the forest, with a high forecast of 3. We have two choices for our club sessions tonight, a tempo 5 mile, or steady 10 mile. I will probably opt for the 10, as I ran yesterdays 4 miles at near to tempo pace.

21/02/2013 at 12:35

I had an excruciating sports massage last night. Feels good today though.

My nose is slighly off centre following a car crash 25 years ago. I hit the flat screen on my VW Beetle after a head on impact.

21/02/2013 at 15:43

OO ouch to the car crash and your nose but sports massage is great and I'd be lost without it!

JJ, nice medal as always.  Pity that Richard had to pull out as he's lovely - do you remember how nice he was to me last year when I was so disappointed with my time?  He made me feel really special, not just a fat middle-aged woman who runs slowly 

Terry, I forgot to add that my trail shoes have big wide lugs and are OK for a bit of roadwork.

My treddy interval session this morning was the best one for a few weeks with no struggling for breath and quick recoveries.  At first I wondered if my vegan stint was helping but then I remembered that my 10 miler yesterday was a battle so perhaps not.  Still, I'll take good sessions whenever they come along 

Mark, what's the job situation now?  Did you accept that offer?

Garden Society for me this evening.  It's about wildflowers, my favourite subject and a cause close to my heart.

21/02/2013 at 16:44

Red - (in answer to your question) - I may very well do the Lake Vyrnwy half again this year. It's so nice and local.

Been for my first swimming lesson. Pleased with the arrangement, pleased with the teacher.

21/02/2013 at 19:20

Redhead
Richard Whitehead presented me with something. It was probably the M70 award.

TE
My 77 mins was on a billiard table of a course so if you can get sub-80 it will be just as good.
JJ

21/02/2013 at 22:36

8 miles for me but the legs still feel very shakey, I shall struggle to reach 40 this week.

22/02/2013 at 08:21

A steady 10 miler with the club last night, but it was crushingly cold. The easterly wind made the temperature feel like minus 5. It is below zero at the moment, with a maximum forecast of 2 degrees. Roll on Spring!

Off for a run shortly with one of the Coaches.

I entered 3 more races yesterday. The South Downs Marathon, the New Forest 10 mile and the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon. I'm running the Salisbury 10 mile and Eastleigh 10k in March. I've still the Lordshill 10 mile and 10k and Everton 10k to enter. The busiest race programme for many years and I'm hoping to make the best of it.

22/02/2013 at 09:49

'OO' - is reaching 40 miles this week a necessity? Maybe the shaky legs suggest a bit of time off.

TE - I admire your energy. But shan't be emulating it.

Very cold here today. I could run today, or I could run tomorrow. Think I'll put it off until tomorrow, - though it's likely to be just as cold.

22/02/2013 at 10:09

Morning all,

Brrrrrrrrrrrr!!!  Glad I haven't packed our thermals away yet.  That wind is biting and it's been snowing intermittently since 6:30am.  The forecasters reckon it won't come to anything though.  I'm going out for a 5.5 recovery at some stage so I shall be covering my mouth.  Tomorrow I've got a Kenyan Hills session planned, which should bring out the Darth Vader in me, and then another 18 miler on Sunday.

Columba, glad you enjoyed your session.  I bet you'll beat your time at LakeV this year.

TE, you are going to be a busy boy!  I shall expect you to win lots of prizes 

00, do you take step-back weeks?  I find they really help and I do 3 weeks hard, 1 week gentler where I still do my speedwork etc but reduce the length of my LSR.  Take care and please don't risk injury by pushing too hard (said the pot to the kettle!).

JJ, which year was it when I was came to the TWells 1/2 for the first time and it was cancelled?  2004 or possibly 2005?  When I left home we hadn't got any snow but by the time I'd driven about 20 miles to the outskirts of town it was like a blizzard.  I got to a car park about 1.5 miles from the start, looked at the state of the roads and turned round to head home.  It took me 3 hours to get home as opposed to the usual 1 hour.  We were then snowed-in for over a week!!!!!

Have a lovely weekend everyone and stay safe and injury-free 

Edited: 22/02/2013 at 10:11
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
22/02/2013 at 11:48

Snowflakes falling outside my office window but they are very small and widely spaced, winter's just trying to remind us it's still here. Very cold though, that wind is biting!

22/02/2013 at 14:57

Red, sounds like a tough weekend, with an 18 miler the day after a Kenyan Hill session!

Ran 6.5 miles this morning with Chris on roads, bringing my weekly total, Sunday to Friday to 47.5. Tomorrow will be a rest day.

mcs
22/02/2013 at 15:17

Freezing here to in Derbyshire...........hope all keeping fit and well. Have a good weekend. Four days of work in Bakewell left then a new job starting March.......45 mins drive away so gutted to lose the nice commute but hey. Looking for some wheels this weekend me thinks. 12 miles to do as only two weeks to Grindleford Gallop...............

22/02/2013 at 15:22

Hi Mark, great news about you job!

TE, don't worry, my version of Kenyan Hills will not be as severe as the ones you do 

22/02/2013 at 18:12

Hi everyone,  just got back from Spain a couple of hours ago.  We lost the internet - and the fine weather - about halfway through the week. But I got a couple of mountain runs in during the last couple of days.  I extended them a bit to 5.7 miles. They are very slow because on the descent the tracks are so gravelly and potholey and on the way up you lean so far forward your nose is practically on the ground. Well,  mine is anyway. There should be opening there for you, JJ  . 18 miles tomorrow and that will test my resolve.  It is so cold here with snow showers.  I got a bond place for the Royal Parks Foundation Half in October and plan to run with H, my daughter no.3.     You all sound very energetic.  Or perhaps it seems that way because I have been travelling since 3.30 am.   Night all.

22/02/2013 at 18:54

Weather the same as Redhead's.

Red
The cancelled TWells 1/2 was 2005. The police and first aid people suggested we cancel and without their approval we would have invalidated the insurance. We had no choice really. A big group of us ran the course anyway  as a point of principle but at two points there was a complete white-out, It would have made for an interesting race.

Just been watching Yates winning a gold in the world's points race. That's cycling btw. It was my main sport in my late teens and through my 20s.

mcs
Hope the new job(s) goes well.

matsmum
Can't think of anything I would be allowed to post on here

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.