'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,601 to 162,620 of 166,649 messages
23/02/2013 at 15:37

No snow here yet, although it's forecast for tomorrow. It's expected to get down to minus 5 tonight, with the wind chill making it feel even colder. Seems like we've got the prospect of a very cold forest run tomorrow.

23/02/2013 at 19:05

Woke up to a white world, and the first few miles were on lovely crunchy snow. Then it began to melt and got a bit slushy. I did the 18 miles and it took me 3hours and 36mins, amid snow flurries most of the way. At 16 miles I was feeling it in my calves, although I didn't actually get cramp.  I think I might need to take an electrolyte drink at that point. I had to get back for 11.30 so I could look after H's 3 while she had an appointment, and then all the family came round to catch up on holiday news and have only just gone, so there wasn't a lot of time to rest!! I think I may cut back to 13 next Saturday, and then do 20 the next week. What do you think?

Did anyone watch the rugby this afternoon?  Close game.

I am going to watch Les Miserables this evening.  I am told it's brilliant.

Husband has got very keen on the idea of Nordic Walking now and has sent off for the very best sticks he could find on the internet!  They should be delivered on Tuesday. Should be fun.

23/02/2013 at 19:25

Matsmum, well done on your long run through the snow, and in a very respectable time. I think it would be a good idea to do a shorter run next week, and then your 20 the following week. The next 5 weeks are probably the most critical, leaving a 3 week taper. JJ will no doubt give his advice as a qualified Coach. I watched some rugby and some cycling this afternoon.

23/02/2013 at 20:30

Just a sprinkling of snow here. A minor nuisance.

matsmum
A two week gap between the very long runs would be good and don't worry if your 20 miler is a bit less.
TE is right. Your training should be peaking in the coming weeks and you are likely to be feeling tired.
You must remember to taper your training for 2 or 3 weeks before the race so that you start it absolutely fresh and full of energy. You can't get any more or less fit in 2 or 3 weeks so there's nothing to be lost and a lot to be gained by taking things a bit easier in those weeks. If you need a tapering schedule let me know.

If you can organise your race drinks so that you get a drink with energy and electrolytes  at 6, 12,18 and 21 miles it would be very helpful. You will need only a few mouthfuls of water in between.
JJ

23/02/2013 at 20:42

Very impressed by the long snowy runs being reported.

A mere 4.8 miles here, temperature about 0, windchill factor felt like about -50. Better on the way home as I was then running southwards away from the wind.

23/02/2013 at 23:50

7 miles here. 4 warm up and 3 at the parkrun with some sludge on the ground- it wasn't pretty. 

24/02/2013 at 08:09

Zero here at the moment, witha max of 4 degrees forecast.

Setting off shortly for a 15 mile run on roads and forest.

24/02/2013 at 11:58

Woke up feeling fine and rested, so did a 4 mile run across frozen fields - no snow to speak of but I know exactly what you mean, Columba - it really did feel like -50 in the arctic wind.

mcs - found a car you want yet? Good luck with our job in March.

BI - How did Charly get on with his attack work?  And....um.....what exactly is attack work????

TE and JJ - thank you for the advice which I will definitely follow.  I am your biggest fan. Yes please, I would like a tapering schedule. I will be out of the country from 26th March until 16th April, which is only 5 days before the race itself, so I will need to know exactly what I am doing. More advice please - I don't eat before any run apart from a couple of bites of banana, then at 6 miles I have some banana and a bite of a 9bar, and the same at 12 miles. The only drink I take is organic fat free milk. What isotonic drink should I try, bearing in mind that when I did try a gel it made me feel sick? Also somebody said it was good to have some caffeine in the latter part of a long run. In what, exactly? I really want to practise all this now, so there are no nasty surprises. At least I don't seem to be getting any aches and pains, so that is encouraging. 

OO - Lovely that your daughter is sharing your interest. My grandaughter, K, is 14 and mad about running. I had better manage this marathon or she will never forgive me!  As for dancing, when I go running early and there is absolutely nobody about, I do actually dance along to some favourite tracks ( A kind of magic, Forget you etc). I think it is probably a very good way of training!  Good job cows can't talk.

24/02/2013 at 14:05

Afternoon all,

Brrrrr again.  Oh my, that wind has been biting for the last couple of days!  Yesterday I did my little Kenyan Hills session and then today I did 18.5 miles, 8 minutes quicker than my 18 last week.  My route was just as hilly but my breathing was so much better.  Very pleased with that 

Matsmum, I agree with JJ about the taper being very important but I would definitely opt for a 3 week taper for your first marathon.  All the training you have been doing has been high quality and if you rest well then you will get round the marathon fine.  I won't comment on a fuelling strategy as my own methods are entirely unconventional but suit me perfectly (no gels, no electrolyte stuff and no food beforehand!).  

Just a word of warning about the use of caffeine gels or drinks; caffeine can irritate the gut and cause 'runner's trots' so if you do decided to try it then please experiment beforehand.  Oh and it's defo a good idea to have a step-back week ahead of your 20 miler as it gives your body a chance to recover form all the extra effort and you'll come back refreshed.  I do 3 weeks hard, 1 week recovery.

JJ, 'twas a good day for the TW 1/2 methinks.  I just had a few flurries of snow when I was out and except for the wind the running conditions were good.  Hope you were well wrapped up if your were marshalling.

24/02/2013 at 15:56

Loads of people say gels make them feel sick. Me, I've never tried them. I've never run more than a half mara, for which I take a half-litre of a drink I make myself, - fruit juice, water, sugar and a pinch of salt. If I've drunk all that and still feel thirsty I take any water that's offered. I'm sure I'd need to make some other arrangement if I were going much further than a half, though. This is partly because of my slow running, - the same distance takes me longer than it does you, - any of you!

24/02/2013 at 16:08

Matsmum, I can't comment on the for and against the use of gels and energy drinks, as I have never used them in my previous marathons, and in last weeks 20 mile race, just took a few sips of plain water at each station. The only tip I can give in this area is to walk or jog with your drink for a few steps to ensure you don't spill it over yourself; and I find the short rest gives me renewed energy when I get back into race mode. I differ from Red, however, in that I do have a light breakfast, but ensure I get up early enough to allow 3 hours before the start of the race. I usually have porridge, fruit juice, a slice of toast and honey and a cup of tea. I also have 2 glasses of water before leaving home.

Red, Well done on your 18.5 miles, I really hope you have overcome your breathing problems.I was looking through the results and pics of last years SDM and saw yours. One thing that struck me was that none of the runners were wearing club vests, this seems unusual to me. Is there any reason for this do you know. I'm sure most must be club runners, as some of the times were exceptional, the winner's being 3.02.

Ran 15 miles this morning in light snow, comprising approximately 9 miles in the forest and 6 on road. I ran the forest 9 with two of the club coaches, and the road 6 on my own. I felt really good during the last 3 on road, and upped my pace. Last weeks 20 mile race at a steady pace has certainly paid dividends. I am way ahead of schedule for the SDM in June and intend getting in some more 20 milers and one 22. I'm really hoping it warms up soon, as the NE wind was really biting and my hands were frozen, despite wearing thermal running gloves.

24/02/2013 at 18:41

Terry, not sure I've overcome my breathing problems just yet but am hoping that my vegan diet is helping.  We'll see.  You don't see that many club vests on the downland marathons really although, as you say, I'm sure there are plenty of runners who do belong to a club.  Well done on your 15 miles.

24/02/2013 at 19:05
Hello! Just dropping in to say how lovely it was to see JJ again at TW today! I've had bronchitis recently so found it all a bit too cold on my breathing but as always enjoyed the route . You caught me by surprise, I should have stopped for a hug it would have done me the world of good!
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
24/02/2013 at 19:19

I am extremely lucky in that I have no digestive problems with any gels or sport bars. The only thing I've ever had trouble with is Isostar drink. On an Ironman triathlon, during the cycle leg I've always carried Hammer gels in caffeine, raspberry or lemon flavour, supplemented by gummy bears, peanuts, and ginger cake. Water in the bottle on my bike frame and sports drink in the one on my aero bars. I've always taken whatever's on offer at the refreshment stands, usually I'll take a fresh bottle of drink and a banana, maybe also a sports bar. Took me a few goes to feel comfortable taking nutrition from the helpers without nealry falling off - just takes practice.

Matsmum - Charly did indeed make me proud on his first go at attack work. At first the "baddie" just stands in front of the dog with a stuffed hessian sausage on a string and taunts the dog by pulling it away from him, The handler, i.e. me, holds the leash taught so the dog can't reach the "prey", until the helper nods to let him get it. Charly grabbed it first go. 2nd time he actually barked which Dieter was surprised at - the dog's supposed to, but it's rare for one to do that on his first time.

24/02/2013 at 19:26

You can probably find information if you google "Schutzdienst" but it may only come up in German as it isn't practiced in England. It's a game for the dogs.The whole basis of it is complete and utter obedience from your dog. He wants to get hold of his "trophy" and must learn he gets it only as a reward for properly completing the exercise and must relinquish it immediately upon command. At the highest level, a dog will be sent to scout round 6 hides before finally coming upon the "baddie", he must commence to bark and is then rewarded with his trophy. Must let go on command and return to his handler. There is much more to do to pass an exam and it takes a lot of training, but my older dog Nemo is really good at it,will take the next exam level in autumn.

24/02/2013 at 20:10

I tend to use gels for the marathon only. I might use 1 on my longest training runs but this year I'm trying to go unfuelled in training, just to make it harder on my body so the conversion of reserve energy by the body is forced to happen.

17 for me today, still sluggish and hip a bit sore.  Tough conditions out there so well done all those who managrd a decent run.

24/02/2013 at 20:17

Oops, forgot to add our Sunday morning training - normal day, 2000m swim followed by a  run with the dogs. I'll be glad when this winter is over, I'm fed up with snow now.

24/02/2013 at 20:51

TWells 1/2m today and only 1900 runners turned up out of 2800 entries. It's such a shame when so many folks were turned away because the race limit was reached early.

Did 31 mins of 300m run and 100m walk. Didn't count the number or pace.

Tiger
Lovely to see you but clearly you weren't running with your normal fluidity.
Wish you had stopped; I get very few chances to practise my role as Hugmeister.

Redhead
Very useful 18 miler there. You're right to be pleased. It was cold marshalling today.

matsmum.
Finding out what works in the way of refuelling is really a bit of trial and error. Very few people agree on what works. You need three things in the fuel if it's possible: electrolytes, quick release fuel like glucose and slow release fuel like fructose to make the effects last longer. You will need water with gels to wash them down otherwise they can be difficult to get down and the worst gel I've ever had was a chocolate one. It was disgusting. The most common drink is Lucozade Sport but it's very sweet and has only fast acting content. My personal choice is "Go" products but they don't suit everyone and I use them only for marathon races.

I would back the tip about walking when drinking. The few seconds break is useful and it stops you drowning.
JJ

24/02/2013 at 22:36

Fair point Johnny, and you dont want to waste good beer

25/02/2013 at 08:46

Hi all

New to this as my astonishing lack of IT capabilities siggests.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.