'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,621 to 162,640 of 166,997 messages
25/02/2013 at 08:52

..........And lack of keyboard skills.

Have agreed to do the 'run' leg (10K) of a relay triathlon with an old friend. Have boldly claimed (see - I split infinitives too) that I can deliver this in 46 minutes, which, in my pomp (!'m 58), would have been the proverbial stroll in the park (pb sub 40 when I too was sub 40!)

However, time has taken its toll! I have been doing the occasional untimed run and went out yesterday with stopwatch. Did 5 miles in 39 mins. This is quite a bit slower than I need to get to (June) for my 10K target.

Any comments/advise please? 

25/02/2013 at 09:59

Morning all,

No running today but some heavy lifting as we have a hay delivery 

Hi John and welcome to the thread.  If you can do 5 miles in 39 minutes already then you are well on track for your 10k target in June.  I'm a plodder but we have some speedy boys on here who will be able to give you some valuable advice.  Good luck with your training and pop back in here to share it with us   Oh and I'd be ecstatic if I could manage 5 miles in 39 minutes!

JJ, crikey that was a small field.  I didn't think you'd have that problem as the weather was no worse than some other years.  I hope you had your thermal undercrackers on for your marshalling duties!

Right, time to tackle the VAT return.

25/02/2013 at 12:03

Thanks for the encouragement. In turn, I'd be ecstatic if I could lift some heavy bales (spelling?) of hay - or even tackle a VAT return, come to that.

Like many I've got to balance the training so that I get to the starting line (danger of over-training and consequent breakdown) and finishing line in my target time (danger of undertraining and being too slow).

It's not rocket-science is it? But very easy to get wrong.

Cheers!

25/02/2013 at 12:44

June is quite a way off JB. If you can already cover 5 miles on your own you are sure to add speed and distance with 3 months to go and in race conditions. First get up to the distance, then work on your speed with regular tempo session or timed efforts e.g. 4* 1 mile. The parkrun is also a great option for a 5k blast- like a semi race environment.

25/02/2013 at 13:23

John B
Can't see a problem with getting down to 46 mins for 10k by June.You're alrready at 48 minute pace. How many times a week do you want to train?  I would want to start with one session each week of 400m reps, maximum 6 to start with and initially at 1min 45 - 1min 50 for each rep. Take 90 secs recovery between each rep. If it's too comfortable shorten the recovery rather than do more intervals.  The other weekly session I would want to do would be 6 miles starting comfortably and each mile getting a bit quicker than the previous one. Run the last mile as quick as you sensibly can. You will have done one speed session and one speed/endurance run. Any other runs can be built up to 7 miles nice and easy. You must have sensible recovery time each week too.

Redhead
It was cold enough for thermals and the www you kindly knitted for me.
JJ

Edited: 25/02/2013 at 13:24
25/02/2013 at 13:43

Great advice - thanks! I shall endeavour to incorporate these regimes into my hitherto rather shambolic approach to training.

Cheers!

mcs
25/02/2013 at 15:33

Ran a hilly 7 in freezing conditions yesterday with no2 daughter we were hufffing and puffing up the hills as we did part of the Grindleford Gallop in reverse. That is going to be tough a week on Saturday hope the weather warms a little. Get a bit chilled on longer runs........only three days left to work here then done with the running commute, sad about that..............a 40 minute commute by car costly and rubbish hate driving still its a job. Have a good week all. Stay safe.

25/02/2013 at 19:06

I've never really got the hang of running anything over about an hour and over the years about 80% of my runs would have been less than half an hour. (This explains my relatively appalling marathon times.) I've always put this down to different physical 'systems' kicking in as the distance gets longer but the more I think about it I think it's more of a wimpish, mental thing; or at least a function of personality.

I'm in awe of the runners who can go out and knock off a 15 miles+ effort; in 30 years of half decent running (1:31 half marathon; 39 min 10k) I would have only run this distance (or more) about 20-30 times. And while I've recorded just about every run for the last 20 years I've never even kept 'weekly' records as such; they just don't register with me. 

So - you longer distance types, why do you clock up these distances? If it's in specific preparation for 'long' event even I can see the point. But if not, is it for fun? Weight loss? Do you still have any toe-nails?

Can you convert me? Or are there other quick and dirty (but nevertheless dedicated and competitive) runners out there?

25/02/2013 at 20:35

john b.
The reason for doing longer runs is to build endurance so that you get the best out of yourself when you step up to 1/2ms and marathons. For instance, with a 10k time of 39 mins I would expect a 1/2m time between 1:20 and 1:25 if you do the endurance training to go with the speed. There's no need to keep weekly records. All you need is to remember the types of training you need to do each week.
Another reason for developing a structured approach is that if you keep on doing the same sort of runs your race times will plateau at roughly the same pace.
At some point, if you want to run quicker, you can only do so by improving your training.
JJ

Edited: 25/02/2013 at 20:36
25/02/2013 at 21:41

Hi John and welcome to the thread. I am 67 and have been running since I was 35, but didn't knuckle down to serious training until I was about 41, when I joined my first running club. I will leave the training tips to JJ, who is a qualified coach but advise you of my background which I hope will encourage you.

You say that you easily got under 40 minutes for 10k when you were under 40, which proves that you have natural ability. I ran 35.52 when I was 43, and 44.00 when I was your age. I ran 48.00 in a trail race 10k just before Christmas, so I am sure that with your background, you have the ability, providing you undertake structured training and increase your mileage, to achieve your target. I wish you all the best, and you can be assured that you will get plenty of encouragement from "us oldies" on here!

26/02/2013 at 07:07

In the light of this quality of advice (JJ and Terence) I shall have to stop referring to my peak in the past tense! 

The message I take from this is 'structured'. So specifically, let's say I don't want to go beyond 10k (told you I was a wimp) - what's the 'shortest long' training run I'd need to do; what could I get away with (weekly?).

And for a 46 min 10k what time would I need to be able to do this relatively long run in?

I know I'm becomng a bit of a case study (and a high maintenance one at that) here - but if I promise to heed and act on advice then I'll try and let you know how I progress.

I'm 5 feet 6 inches and about 9stone 12lbs (was 11 stone 6 months ago) so no great problems carrying a lot of excess weight, by the way - so not a big factor I hope. (Was about the same - give or take - when  was doing decent times many years ago, although it's not quite got the same distribution!)

Anyway - I'll put it out there and see (and respect!) what you say.

Cheers!

26/02/2013 at 09:08

Morning all,

Oooh, John B's a potential recruit to long distance running - but he's been snaffled back into the speedy runners' corner by JJ and TE!

John, you could get your 10k speed up and then progress to longer distances.  My marathoning (29 since I moved to distance in 2004) is to raise awareness about Alzheimer's/dementias and to raise money for research (http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/extremeknittingredhead gives details).  I also do silly stunts at the London marathon (I hold 2 Guinness World Records for knitting and crocheting whilst running round) to get the attention of the media so I can talk about why more money is needed for research into dementia.  I find the challenge of pushing myself to run long distances helps give me focus and thinking time too.

Following a chat with the quack yesterday I need to get my head round my latest cholesterol reading (7.3) which is on the cusp of requiring treatment.  Apparently, being fit, active, not over-weight, non-smoker since 1990, vegetarian, no family history of early death from a heart condition, I don't fit the norm for someone with such a high reading.  But I am now entering the danger zone, although my good cholesterol gives me a bit of protection.  Hey ho, it makes me wonder what's next! Carpe diem, that's for sure 

Right, back to training stuff.  Today will be intervals on the treddy plus some rower, static bike and core work.

Have a lovely day everyone 

mcs
26/02/2013 at 09:16

Let us know how you go on with that Red.....friend of mine had a heart attack last week, thin as a rake and it was cholesterol issue, very high, genetical issue apparently, had a stent fitted and doing okay thankfully.
Been crazy here as only two days left then new job next week. Race on the 9th of March too, thats come round quick.

If anyone fancies it a couple in my village cant do it so have places spare. You can walk it too. Awesome views recommend it. Go on you know you want to!!!

Route Summary

Covering approximately 21 miles and 3000ft of ascent the course takes in the villages of Grindleford, Froggatt, Eyam, Great Longstone, Edensor and Baslow linking them together with paths, tracks and open moorland of the White Peak. Famous landmarks on the way round include the Riley Graves, Longstone moor, The Monsal trail and of course the stunning Chatsworth Park estate. The final high-level section along Baslow and Frogatt edges gives breath-taking offers of the surrounding peak district.

mcs
26/02/2013 at 09:17

Grindleford Gallop 9th of March 10 am by the way. http://www.grindlefordgallop.co.uk/

Forgot to say what the event was.

mcs
26/02/2013 at 09:17

Message me if you fancy it.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/02/2013 at 12:06

Redhead - in spite of being very active all my life and watching what I eat, I too have  cholesterol issues. My GP says my body manufactures too much of the bad kind. I've been on cholesterol meds for the past 3 years, along with BP and thyroid pills. I eat a low fat diet, don't smoke, don't drink much and never the strong stuff, eat meat sparingly and then usually chicken or turkey, eat loads of fruit, whole grains and veg, drink lots of water and exercise all the  hours I can - unfortunately it seems you can't cheat heredity. My mother had very high BP, Dad died of a stroke, 2 cousins have died of heart attacks and my brother had a heart attack with triple bypass op in 2011.

26/02/2013 at 12:38

Yikes IW, you've certainly got the family history.  I'd forgotten you are taking the meds, although I do remember your thyroid issue.  Have you had any problems with the side-effects?  Has your brother changed his eating habits now?  I seem to remember he had a liking for rather unhealthy foods.  I still can't work out why our bodies manufacture the bad stuff when we just put good stuff into them.

26/02/2013 at 12:51

On the mileage issue JB I usually manage 40 miles per week. It increases to 50 for marathon training. When I joined a running club in my early 30's (I'm 50 now) I was at about your standard and had just broken 90 mins. for HM. Over the next 5 years I improved that by about 10 minutes down to 80 mins. for HM. The key ingredients were, higher mileage, structured training, more races and weight loss. These are all inter-related of course.

Bailing hay is just about the best excuse I've heard for missing a run

26/02/2013 at 14:15

Red and BIW, that's very worrying that two fit and healthy people, with active lifestyles and sensible diets can have cholesterol problems.

Mark, thanks for the invite to what sounds like a great race, but I am racing in the Salisbury 10 mile the following day.

Tonight is an endurance session of 5 or 6 long circuits with the Club.

26/02/2013 at 16:42

Not an excuse 00, 'twas a non-run day  Sub 90 for a 1/2 is a stonking time!  I'll be made up if I ever manage to crack 2 hours (2:00:59 last year).

Enjoy your circuits TE.

My interval session went well this morning 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.