'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,641 to 162,660 of 166,860 messages
26/02/2013 at 17:08

Red, I'm sure you'll go sub 2 hours this year. Being "made up" is a real scouse expression, probably picked up from when you worked on Merseyside. Glad your intervals went well this morning. I'm not supposed to enjoy circuits, as it will mean I'm not doing them hard enough

26/02/2013 at 18:31

'lo all
John b
If you don't want to race more than 10k then you don't need to do more than 6 mile runs to get down to 46 mins but you will have to do some high quality training to get there. These types of runs will build a good speed/endurance combination.The first one is compulsory. Take your pick from the rest and take at least 2 rest days each week. A rest day can be an easy 3 if you feel you have to do something.

6 miles steady (a little bit out of breath)
400m fast reps with 90 sec recoveries. Total fast pace should be about 3k. Shorten the recovery as they get easier. Each 400m rep should be the same pace so the first is on the easy side and after the last one you should be fairly well knackered.
6 miles alternate slow and fast miles. Fast = 7:30 miling to start with.
6 miles starting slowish and getting faster each mile.Last mile flat out.
1 mile slow warm up. 4 miles fast (maybe 8 minute miling). 1 mile slow warm down.
4 - 6 hilly miles.
1 mile warm up. 10 x 80m--100m hill reps. Jog slowly back down. 1 mile warm down.
 For me it would have to be fairly easy (no gasping for breath) to run 50-52 minutes for 6 training miles depending on weather and terrain.

There's enough variation there to keep things interesting. Remember that it takes about 8 weeks for any variation in training to have a full impact.

Redhead
Strange about the cholesterol problem. Drink red wine!

mcs
It sounds like an ideal race if it was half the distance. I've done 20 mile and marathon races and don't enjoy them. I now confine myself to a marathon to celebrate "big" birthdays: those with a 0 or 5 on the end.
JJ

Edited: 26/02/2013 at 18:39
26/02/2013 at 18:40

One overweight, old man did a proper training run today. First in a long, long while and first time for ages I used the Garmin. It was 3.47 miles at a steady 9.44 average miling pace. Mile spilts were:
9:56 warming up
9:34
9:46
plus .47m in 4:29 or 9:32 miling.
My legs are not well!
JJ

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/02/2013 at 22:16

Red, I had a bit of trouble adjusting to the thyroid pills at first, they made me nauseous but that' gone away now. I've just recently had a scan and the nodes that were there seem to have gone down, so the radiologist was pleased.

Swim training tonight - 800m warmup, then 20 x 25m fast/25m easy, 400m easy, 400m faster, 400m easy, 800m cooldown.

26/02/2013 at 22:35

Hello John B, - you won't be getting any advice from me, I'm more often asking for it than giving it.

Swimming last night, and 6-mile run with the running club tonight. We were worked hard; included 2 lots of hill reps.

BIW, I'd forgotten about your brother until you mentioned him. Has he made a good recovery?

Odd about those cholesterol issues, in people with such a healthy lifestyle.

27/02/2013 at 09:26

JJ, well done in getting back into proper training. Those mile splits are very respectable. I'm not surprised your legs are suffering.

Columba, sounds like you had a tough training session last night. Hill reps.should be, in my opinion, one of the core elements  of any training programme. We have hill reps. tomorrow evening.

Our club session was also tough last night. We did 4 circuits of 0.82 mile with walk recoveries between each. These are now run very competitively as we are of similar abilites in the medium group, and push each other hard. Our total mileage was 8.2, so we are not only putting in the speed work, but putting miles "into the bank."

I will shortly be going off for a forest run, as now I have entered the South Down Marathon, I will need to do as much off road as possible, including plenty of hill work.

27/02/2013 at 09:31

Morning all,

It's dark and dreary here today but I'm in carpe diem mood so feeling good   I'll be running 10 miles later @ marathon pace and will be pushing harder on the uphill sections (I may regret that statement later but I'll give it a go!).

IW, that's good news about the nodes 

JJ, funny you should mention red wine as I switched to that about 7 years ago following a conversation with Clive Ballard who's head of research at King's College London.  He also said that moderate amounts of caffeine are good for brain health so after years of trying to be good and drinking decaf coffee I now drink some caffeinated coffee as well 

Glad to hear you did a decent session.  I shall look forward to running a marathon with you in 2 or 3 years (sorry, I've lost track of your age!).

Columba, all these sessions with the club will make you much stronger and I bet you'll beat your 1/2 time from last year.  Just remember that you completed the Hastings 1/2 as your  first ever 1/2, and in a decent time too, so you have lots of potential to get faster on a flatter route.  I have a new prediction for your time but I won't share it yet.

27/02/2013 at 17:05

I was late setting off for my run this morning, as I discovered a nail sticking out from the offside rear tyre of my car. I managed to drive safely to the tyre depot, who advised that the tyre couldn't be repaired as it was in the side wall, so I would have to buy a new one. That set me back £51, so it wasn't a very good start to the day.

I did a very tough training session once I had finally set off, which comprised 1 mile mainly on a trail in the forest, to the 3 hills where the club do the hill reps in the summer evenings, and then 4 continuous miles up and down the 3 hills at a steady pace. I then ran the mile back home.

Edited: 27/02/2013 at 17:06
27/02/2013 at 17:36

Norunday. Two doodle walks and a lot of gardening instead.

Columba
I'm always impressed when I see hill reps on the menu. They show a certain commitment.

TE
Your session yesterday was excellent speed/endurance training.
I was very surprised at my mile times. I wouldn't have been at all surprised if they had been over 10 minutes,

Redhead
You have no reason to worry about my age. "Over 40" will be near enough.
Hope your 10 mile pace was  marathon PB pace.
JJ

27/02/2013 at 18:12

JJ - I did 2 hill reps to the rest of the club's 3. That is fairly usual, as they are all faster than me, some much faster. There was a very fast young lady with the club last night, whom I don't think I've seen before. She ran twice round a hilly "block" (turn right, turn right, turn right, turn right and back where you started) in the time it took me to run it once. She was even faster than the two fast men in the group.

Red - I think it's been found that people who drink 1 or 2 cups of coffee a day are significantly less likely to develop Alzheimer's than people who drink none. But whether the research controlled for other factors I don't know. I hope my brain manages to stagger along without developing too much ill-health until Easter, when I can hit it with coffee again.

Ooh dear, you've got a prediction for me? And presumably it's at least slightly quicker than last year's time, although last year I felt I was pushing myself to the point of expiring! - Better start extending my long runs a bit.

27/02/2013 at 19:14

BI - I googled attack training for dogs, and it looks really interesting. It says that you have to look at the personality of the dog, so it looks as if Charly is going to be a star. You obviously have to have great rapport and control over your dog, but his personality is important as well.

John B - nice to meet you. I have never run a marathon, but it seems to me that long runs are not called endurance runs for nothing - they build up strength in body and mind, and that helps not just for running but also for whatever we have to meet in life. Red is right when she talks of focus and thinking time.

mcs - when a friend of mine was in your position he advertised for a lift into work and shared petrol costs instead of getting his own car. Then he ran home after work! Obviously your commute would be too long for that - unless you got out halfway home and ran, I suppose that might work.

JJ - thanks for the advice.  And what's this about an old man? I have never met an old man who could run miles that fast. You are obviously in your prime.

BI and Red - when I was checked out I had a reading of 6.4.   I then went on Benecol  and within 2 months it came down to 5.7. 

I did a 6 mile progression yesterday and 6 miles today with the middle 4 at 10k pace. Pilates is cancelled tonight but I have a dance class tomorrow after work, so I am looking forward to that.

27/02/2013 at 20:10

Matsmum - yes, all that you said is true, your dog has to be completely obedient to your commands and personality is highly important. Our last dog Oz was great at obedience work but in attack he was not good - he enjoyed it but never got close to the "baddie" and stayed on his feet while barking. My adult dog Nemo sits so close to the bad guy he is barking in his face and practically touching him!  But he breaks off and returns to me immediately on command. I think Charly will be just as good or better, as he is very confident for such a young dog.

Columba - yes, my brother has made a good recovery and is back to work, and back to dog training - he is into agility rather than the kind of work I do, but then they have 4 Border collies.

27/02/2013 at 20:49

matsmum
Good runs there. The second one is called a tempo run.
I did other sports until I started running at 55. My running peaked at age 65-66 when I could race 5k up to 1/2m at 7:30 - 7:40 miling. I would be more than a minute a mile slower nowadays on similar training. Unfortunately the ageing process is an exponential downward curve not a linear progression.

Columba
That young lady clearly has potential. I remember once being very pleased with 46 mins in a 10k race until I discovered an 18 y.o. lady had run 32 mins and some seconds. She came third overall!
JJ

27/02/2013 at 20:51

JJ, yes it was but then my MPs runs were all at pb pace last year and as you know it all went awry 

Matsmum, a year or so ago I tried using benecol for 12 months and my reading still went up   Are you taking a step-back week this week as you mentioned?

Columba don't worry, it isn't a scary prediction.  I just know that you have gained in strength and probably self belief, both of which are very important.

TE, bad news about your car.  They eat money don't they!  Sounded a tough run.

27/02/2013 at 21:33

JJ, thanks.I ran yesterdays circuits nearly 30 seconds quicker than the last time we ran them in January. Todays hill work in the forest was to start toughening me up for the SDM. We have hill reps on road tomorrow, and I know I shouldn't do hill work two days in a row, but will be careful, and not push too hard.

Red, yes, there's always something to spend out on a car. I recently bought a sat nav, as I will be driving to races this year which I haven't done before, and race directions in race packs are quite useless, on the whole. I think they believe all runners have sat navs and that giving the venues post code is sufficient. Todays session was tough, but it was meant to be, and I didn't sprint up and down the hills, but tried to keep a steady pace. The worst aspect was that it got very boring, just running up and down hills, and not going anywhere.

27/02/2013 at 21:51

Sat nav is a great invention. When they first came out manufacturers were charging £2000 if they were fitted in a car. Now you can buy a basic one for under £100. I'd be lost without mine (boom boom)

8 miles for me tonight at a progression pace. 1st 2 a gentle plod, then 3 at 8 min pace, then the last 3 at 7:30 pace. Great evening here for running, calm and cool.   

28/02/2013 at 06:19

I'm a dinosaur! Don't have Satnav, I can read a map! have a digital camera and an Ipad, both of which I don't know how to use, and I still have/use my original mobile phone that I've had since they first came onto the market.

28/02/2013 at 09:56

Morning all,

LOL at IW!  We don't have sat nav either and people laugh when we get our mobile phones out - mine's like a brick and Mike's is the one I use for running and it's all battered from me falling over/dropping it and part of it is held together with sellotape.  Classy 

TE, I always google the post code and then look on the map.  Most races are well signposted along the  roadside.  Running up and down hills is good for your mental stamina   I looked back at some of the photos I've taken on the SDM and it really is a beautiful scenery.

Right, hill reps for me this afternoon.

28/02/2013 at 11:12

Tee hee - Redhead, sounds like we're about the same when it comes to technology!

I shall endeavour to run with the dogs when I get home after work today.

28/02/2013 at 12:40

Excellent weather in the North East today. Hope it's still good when I get out this evening.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.