'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,661 to 162,680 of 166,426 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
28/02/2013 at 06:19

I'm a dinosaur! Don't have Satnav, I can read a map! have a digital camera and an Ipad, both of which I don't know how to use, and I still have/use my original mobile phone that I've had since they first came onto the market.

28/02/2013 at 09:56

Morning all,

LOL at IW!  We don't have sat nav either and people laugh when we get our mobile phones out - mine's like a brick and Mike's is the one I use for running and it's all battered from me falling over/dropping it and part of it is held together with sellotape.  Classy 

TE, I always google the post code and then look on the map.  Most races are well signposted along the  roadside.  Running up and down hills is good for your mental stamina   I looked back at some of the photos I've taken on the SDM and it really is a beautiful scenery.

Right, hill reps for me this afternoon.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
28/02/2013 at 11:12

Tee hee - Redhead, sounds like we're about the same when it comes to technology!

I shall endeavour to run with the dogs when I get home after work today.

28/02/2013 at 12:40

Excellent weather in the North East today. Hope it's still good when I get out this evening.

mcs
28/02/2013 at 13:43

Just been for a lovely sunny pootle up the golf course hill at the bottom of the Monsal Trail overlooking Bakewell, my last day here in the office here and enjoyed my five years at this job mainly for the commute. Sat on the bench at the top overlooking Chatsworth and Bakewell bootiful day.
Stay fit all and will catch up occasionally as time and evenings permit which I fear will be little as going back in to printing next Monday. Happy running to all.

28/02/2013 at 14:35

Mark, good luck in your new job and I hope you will find the time to post on here as and when you can.

Red and BIW, I'm not really one for gadgets either. Before purchasing the sat nav I logged onto the RAC Route Planner with the post code. I am still intending to use this as well, as I like to see the route spelt out in words and by map of the route. I only bought my new mobile, as the old one had packed up and I couldn't switch it on or off. I don't use any of the fancy apps. and just use it for texts and calls, and to check whether any e mails have been received. This is handy, as I no longer have to switch the lap top on to check.

28/02/2013 at 15:25

Mark good luck with your new job and keep running.  Please do pop back to see us when you can.

TE, I've just remembered your remark about me saying I was "made up", which made me smile.  When I got my first flat in Liverpool, one of my neighbours asked if I was made up and I thought she was asking if I was married to which I replied, "no, I'm too young for that just yet" and didn't understand why she looked confused!

My hill reps were really good today.  2 mile warm up (1 mile flat, 1 mile hilly) then: 10 x up the hill (moderate incline) for 3 telegraph poles (which was about 0.15 mile) and back down again trying to maintain roughly the same pace (averaged 1:09mins going up and 1:10mins going down), then 2 miles plod home except I did the last mile faster.  Just over 6.5 miles in 65 mins.  Breathing a bit laboured on the uphills but I recovered quickly.  Happy girlie 

28/02/2013 at 16:44

Red, another quaint  scouse expression for somone in a temper "got a cob on." Well done with the hill reps, they seem to be catching on.

28/02/2013 at 17:29

Went to the lake and did another pyramid session. 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 (minutes, that is, with walk breaks the same length between). Only I somehow managed to forget the 3-minute run on the way back down. Too much blood being demanded by the legs, not enough left for the brain.

Even allowing for the missing 3 minutes, it was slightly faster than the previous pyramid session, possibly thanks to the cheering effect of the sunshine. Wind is still cold, though.

My first mobile phone was brick-like, and my children used to laugh at it. It belonged to work, so had to go back when I retired; then I got one of my own. But that "died" recently and had to be replaced. I don't know how Red and BIW keep theirs going for so long. I only use mine for phone and text messages; don't take photos or pick up email, though it apparently has the facility.

And I do have a Satnav, though I haven't used it much. I don't like driving in areas I don't know, and will always go by train if the journey is feasible. The Satnav is very soothing and polite, and instead of saying "you idiot, I told you third exit" it says calmly, "When possible, turn round..."

28/02/2013 at 20:42

4 hilly miles done in 41 mins. A bit slowish but hard work.
We have a satnav but I don't need it to get to a town anywhere. A quick glance at a map is all that's needed. The satnav's real value is finding a specific location with a town.
Bought us two new mobiles last weekend. A sign of the times is that they have larger keys and bigger letters/numbers on the screen. It includes an excellent FM radio and a very good camera.

00 50
Your run yesterday looked very worthwhile. Excellent type of trainng.

Redhead
Your run looked very good too.
You may win "run of the week with thatone". The prize is a packet of vegetarian pork scratching. Ignore the sell by date. It says Jan 2011 but it's a misprint. Just scrape off the blue bits.

Columba
Good run from you too. A real challenger for the pork scratchings. Legs have minds of their own and have to be forced to cooperate.
Our satnav's lady gets increasingly frantic if we deviate from the proscribes route. She can end up screaming if she's ignored. Typical!

mcs
Hope the new job goes well. Print strong.
JJ

28/02/2013 at 21:55

Track tonight. Very hard session after previous 2. Well done JJ, I love hills!

mcs
01/03/2013 at 09:09
Great run home yesterday pm, left early and enjoyed a six miler over the viaduct at Monsal Head and then home bootiful sunshine. Day off better do some jobs prior to a new week new life new routine starting,,,,,,!!
01/03/2013 at 09:13

Lots of good training going on here. I think 2013 will be a good year for us "mature runners."

0050 what session did you do on the track?

A good hill session with the club last night. We did 3 sets of 4 x 60secs. with jogs down, and 60 sec recoveries between sets, Total mileage was 8, so we are getting a good mix of quality and mileage.

Off to the library now before setting off for a forest run. Our library is now "self service," where we scan our books in and out ourselves.

01/03/2013 at 12:27

TE the session was 400M, 800, 1200, 1200, 800, 400.All that the same pace of 1:30 for a 400M lap. Rest between each effort of 30, 60 or 90 secs, depending on the distance. My hip doesn't like track work but at least this one is consistent pace which helps.

All sounds exciting mcs!

01/03/2013 at 13:33

Afternoon all,

Just a short recovery plod for me this morning.  4 miles of updulations.

JJ, YUM, I haven't won the thread prize for years.  I have eaten the blue bits and very tasty they were too thank you very much 

First 20 miler coming up on Sunday.  That should ensure it rains and is windy.

Edited: 01/03/2013 at 13:34
01/03/2013 at 15:51

00 50, that was an excellent track pyramid session. Are you training for any particular distance race? Do you run for a club, or as unattached? Our club has access to a grass track, but is only available during the summer months, after it has been marked out. Last year, we missed out on several sessions, as the track was waterlogged.

Red, hope your 20 miler goes well!

Ran a steady 7.25 miles in the forest this morning, bringing my total to 45, Sunday to Friday.

01/03/2013 at 19:57

Rest day for me.

Great pyramid session. Nice to see the intervals done properly too: all at roughly the same pace.

Redhead
2011 was a good year for pork scratchings. They will help keep you going on your 20 miler.
JJ

01/03/2013 at 20:17

Johnny- I only have 1 pace! Or at least I've lost a cog for top gear

TE- I'm training for London in 7 weeks- I do this marathon most years, this is my 10th I believe. I run with a club and we have access to a fine track owned by the council. I love track work but my hip is less of a fan these days.Good high mileage you have there too.  

01/03/2013 at 21:30

0050, you are lucky to have access to a running track all year round. Back in the 80's I belonged to Team Solent, and attended track sessions twice a week. There is no doubt that track work really does wonders for ones pace. Are you aiming for sub 3 hours in the VLM? My marathon PB is 3.12.26 set in 1993 in the New Forest Marathon.

02/03/2013 at 08:22

I broke 3 hours last year Terence at the 14th marathon attempt and only by 14 secs. it would be nice to again at 50, but I think 3:05 is more likely this year. The track helped a lot last year but it aggrevates my dodgy hip so I'm not doing much on the track this year. Oh the 80's.....

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.