'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,681 to 162,700 of 167,159 messages
02/03/2013 at 19:22

0050, that was a great achievement at the age of 49. I was 47 when I achieved my marathon PB.

Matsmum, well done on your 20 miler. Time taken is not as important as time on your feet. This will build up your endurance, which is necessary to run the marathon distance.

JJ, you are gradually getting "into the groove" again, and hopefully are regaining your competitive hunger.

No run for me today, but a forest run tomorrow. This will be shorter than previous Sundays, as the Salisbury 10 mile race is next Sunday.

03/03/2013 at 08:14

Morning all.

It's 1 degree at the moment, but quite bright, with a forecast of 7 degrees. Off for my forest run shortly with other club members. I experimented this morning by slicing a banana into my porridge, and feel a bit bloated. Will soon find out if it was a good idea or not.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
03/03/2013 at 12:29

sunshine here, yahoo! 1600m training swim done and a 10km run.

Yesterday at dog club Charly did really well at attack work (beginner level of course), I am so happy that he already barks at the "baddie", most young dogs take quite a while to learn that.

03/03/2013 at 14:14

Afternoon all,

The weather was very kind to me today and I did a stonking 20 miler this morning.  15 miles of unrelenting hills and 5 flatter bits.  I was expecting to struggle at some point or another, which is what usually happens, but I actually felt good all the way and did the penultimate 3 miles at marathon pace (no, the last mile wasn't 'cos it was upHILL!) so am very happy.  48 miles for me this week - just don't let anyone refer to me as a "fun runner" again or I'll go for the jugular!

My right knee is a bit niggly which is a regular occurrence at this stage in my training so I shall be off to see Mary Massage Lady soon for an overhaul 

00, that's a fantastic time for VLM.  The closest I've been to 3 hours for a marathon was standing next to someone who did it sub 3 (when Blisters, a fellow forumite who's a speedy boy too, rubbed sun-cream onto my shoulders at the start one year)!  I'll be interested to see if you better your time this year.

Matsmum, well done you!  That should have given you a great confidence boost.  As others have said already, time on feet is the most important thing and there's no way should should consider running tomorrow as your body needs to recover from the extra effort.  I agree with JJ about not needing another 20 miler as this is your first marathon and you might risk injury by pushing yourself too hard.  The other thing is that on marathon day you will probably find you go off too quickly so it's important that you 'feel' your own pace and stick to it.  In the latter stages of VLM you need lots of energy as you'll find you have to run round people walking 4 abreast/costumed etc and that can really sap your strength.  When I'm doing my knitting stunts I've found that I've done at least an extra .5 mile and even .75 mile one year just from having to go around people.

IW, well done Charly.

TE, well you're completely out of control with your wild banana antics!  How very decadent 

JJ, glad to hear you got off your backside and did a bit of training at last 

Edited: 03/03/2013 at 14:20
03/03/2013 at 15:43

Red, well done on your 20 miler, you are well on your way this year to a marathon PB. How dare anyone call you a fun runner. Anyone who has done the toughest marathons in the UK  back to back like you is a serious runner. Time taken is not a factor, the actual doing is the criteria.

I think I am out of control Red. Ran 10 miles this morning with Chris, one of our Coaches, and I persuaded her to run up some of the toughest hills in the forest with me. We ran the hills hard, and maintained our pace downwards and on to the next hills. We also ran over some waterlogged areas, one of which took over 5 minutes to cover less than 50 metres. We were stepping from grass mound to grass mound, trying not to fall off into unknown depths of muddy water.

I am anxiously awaiting the results of the John Austin Half Marathon which was run this morning in aid of the Oakhaven Hospice, and in which two of the young ladies who I have been pacing were racing. One is Helen who I ran the Bramley 20 mile with, and is doing the VLM which will be her first.

03/03/2013 at 18:00

Redhead, I know Blisters from the 3:15 marathon  thread where I've been hanging out for a few years. Yes last years race was probably up there as one of my greatest running achievments. At my peak in the mid 90's I could not get below 3:15 so I gave up on the marathon. Then in 2007 I got pulled out of the hat for club place. I gave it everything that year but it was the famous heatwave year at the FLM and I wilted to a 3:07 which was still a PB. I've tried every year since and came closest in 2009 with a 3:05 in Paris. So last years time was a PB by 5 minutes and I only scraped it by 14 seconds after getting the onset of cramp in the last mile. It's a huge weight off my shoulders and from now on I intend to enjoy my marathons and not put myself under any pressure for PB's.

Dreadful 15 mile run this morning after too much beer out with friends last night     

Edited: 03/03/2013 at 18:01
03/03/2013 at 18:51

In the face of all advice I did a 4 miler this morning, but I promise it was just an amble! Because of my workload , 12 hour days three days a week and running a busy household , I can only run at weekends and on a Tuesday and Wednesday when I do my 2 training 6 milers. Not ideal I know, because they are on consecutive days. Seems to be going ok though, so I am grateful for that.  Anyway, beautiful morning, far too good to miss. Then a couple of miles walk to the park with H andgrandchildren nos.7, 9 and 11. There were some teenage boys climbing to the top of two containers and honing their free-running skills by jumping from one container to another.  My heart was in my mouth. 

Red - you are amazing.  Truly.

JJ - When you wrote that the aging process is an 'exponential downward curve,' the word exponential  reminded me of that bit in Growing Race-fully - and I quote -

"The benefits of running are well-documented, but it seems the advantages increase exponentially as you age".

So I suppose it's a question of half empty or half full. Anyway, we are all 20 years younger than we will be in 20 years time, so that is a blessing. 

03/03/2013 at 19:59

Rest day. Just 5.5 miles dog walking and some gardening. Forgot; plus a doze in early afternoon. Nice!

TE
Banana sliced into some tinned rice pudding is my normal pre-race breakfast but 3 or 4 hours before racing.

IW
Charly is clearly a sharp cookie. A star in the making.

Redhead
48 miles in a week is more than I've ever done so a PB is guaranteed for you.
I "backside " what we normally call my "*rse"? Aren't I doing well. I reckon we should make a date for the Brighton 10k so I can pace you to a PB. The only problem is that 50 mins is an age grading of about 74% for me so I will need to train very hard.

Matsmum
The first 6 miles of VLM is mostly downhill so you will need to control your pace very carefully and not get carried away.

Not sure about your quote. If you have been fairly quick it's not easy to come to terms with having to run slowly.
JJ

03/03/2013 at 20:44

Out running this afternoon with Nemo, several people we met commented on what a good looking dog he is and what a beautiful coat he has. Seems like the food I have him on now (Wolfsblut venison and sweet potato) really suits him, his fur gleams like it's been polished.

On the strength of today's 10km run I've entered another triathlon, a half Ironman distance on 23 June (2km swim/70km bike/15km run). I do so love to race!

03/03/2013 at 20:52

IW
You are a real glutton for punishment.
JJ

03/03/2013 at 21:27

Red - not only are you running extra because of going round people in the late stages of VLM, you're carrying a lot of heavy knitting by that stage in the proceedings as well.

As it hasn't rained for a while I decided to run cross-country this afternoon, thinking the mud would be minimal. Worked out a route of various linked footpaths across fields, but had to rethink it on the hoof as the gates leading into one of the fields had notices on saying "Bull in field". I couldn't see the bull, but decided not to risk it. 

04/03/2013 at 06:17

JJ - I want to race as much as I can this year without overdoing it, who knows if I'll still be able to in 5 years' time. I only got to do 1 sprint race last year due to my hip operation. My surgeon said I can run up to half-marathon distance, so that gives me the one in June and then Challenge Vichy in France on 1 September.

04/03/2013 at 09:39

Morning all,

Went out first thing for a 3 miler recovery plod.  It was glorious, all frosty and sunny 

00, naughty boy!  2007 was my first year of knitting silliness and my wool kept getting stuck on my needles as my hands were so sweaty.  So this time you're just going enjoy the atmosphere and the wonderful crowd support?  Don't believe you 

IW, we haven't seen a photo of Nemo for a while.

Columba, the 'bull in field' signs have appeared all over the place round here which is interesting as there are very few cows left in the area.  Farmers often use the signs to discourage dog walkers.

JJ, in theory, based on my training I should have smashed my marathon pb years ago but I just never seem to quite manage it (closest was Abingdon in 2009 where I was 1 minute outside) but I'll keep trying.  50 mins for 10k is still scary and you've got great big long legs and I haven't 

Matsmum, well done on your little plod.  I find walking is great for stretching your legs out after a long run and I sometimes go for a walk in the afternoon after a LSR.  Please make sure you don't push yourself too hard on your speedwork day this week as you'll have some micro-tears in your muscles after your 20 miler.

TE, yep, you are definitely out of control with your hill attack work!  You must be getting stronger every day and you will need to be for those hills in the SDM.  I can't make my mind up which is the tougher route, SDM or Beachy Head. 

04/03/2013 at 11:22

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6763/gallery/apportsmall_0.jpg?width=350

ok Redhead, just for you!

I should have some new ones of Charly soon, one of the ladies in our club took photos of the dogs in attack work and she will email me the ones of Charly.

04/03/2013 at 11:32

Red - now why didn't I think of that? - It's all sheep-farming round here, not a cow in sight.

BIW - lovely picture of Nemo.Now looking forward to Charly.

04/03/2013 at 13:46

Oh IW, he looks amazing and in such wonderful condition!

04/03/2013 at 15:03

Red, I certainly do feel much stronger these days, and the hill work, intervals and increased weekly mileage are the major factors. I have been running in the New Forest for about 34 years now, so could be classed as an experienced off road runner.

BIW, nice picture of Nemo, he looks very alert.

Another hill session with the Club tomorrow, can't get enough of hills.

04/03/2013 at 17:43

No running today. Attacked by DOMS so did a long walk with the doodle.

IW
That's plenty of races.

Redhead
One of the problems with marathons is that it's easy to forget it's a race and treat it a bit like we do for a long training run. You have to keep pushing along at target pace even when it starts hurting.
There's an adjective describing my legs that you've missed out. It's "old".

Columba
Bulls wandering about in fields are a rarity nowadays. You're more likely to be mowed down by a vet in a Land Rover on his way to an artificial insemination  appointment.
JJ

04/03/2013 at 20:22

JJ unfortunately we all tend to stick to our race plans even when they are slightly unrealistic only to come undone when it's too late, usually at 20 miles +. A lot more poeple fail rather than succeed at their marathon targets- including me on 13/14 occasions. No matter what I say I know I'll go off with 3 hours in mind    

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 20:22
05/03/2013 at 06:09

Thanks Red! I'm really pleased with Nemo's condition.

Entered Schifferstadt sprint tri last night - that's an easy season opener, 400m swim in an indoor pool, 20km bike, totally flat course except for a small bridge, and a 5km flat run. Loads of kids do this one so it's a real family atmosphere.   

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.