'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,701 to 162,720 of 167,314 messages
05/03/2013 at 09:32

The results of the John Austin Half are now out, and Helen and Kerry did really well, obviously running together all the way, and finishing in 2.03. The race was in the forest and all off road, so these times were particularly good. It was also Kerry's first. I wish now that I had entered, but will certainly, all being well, enter it next year.

A lovely bright sunny morning here, although there is thick fog in parts of Hampshire. I'm looking forward to tonights hill session with the club

05/03/2013 at 12:27

Yes it looks great out there. planning a 10 miler tonight.

05/03/2013 at 19:20

Wonderful sunny day today. Did a carp 4+ miles off road with the doodle. She didn't look too pleased so we had to stop twice for some games with a stick she pulled out of hedge.

Off to watch the football.
JJ

05/03/2013 at 23:27

Hope you enjoyed JJ. Looks like a domestics season for Man U.

11 hard miles for me tonight.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
06/03/2013 at 07:53

As a United fan for over 50 years I'm really disappointed, the ref ruined last night's game. Still, 12 points lead in the league isn't too bad.

06/03/2013 at 08:49

Morning all,

Well there was a lot of shouting at the Ref in our house last night - and Mike, being a Scouser, is not even a fan of ManU!  What a ridiculous decision.  Even I could see it should just have been a yellow card and I don't like football.

TE, well done to your proteges.

JJ, I'm sure the doodle was rather pleased that your run didn't go as well as you'd have liked.  She should have come out with me as mine was rubbish too and I could have played the stick game and pretended that I wasn't supposed to be running 

My pootle yesterday was nondescript as my head just wasn't in the zone at all.  Today I shall be doing my intervals with determination and focus to make up for it and moving my mid-week MP run to tomorrow.

06/03/2013 at 09:19

Morning, I missed the footie as I didn't know it was on. It seems that United were robbed, due to a very controversial sending off.

Red, thanks. It's really great seeing the improvement of the ladies over the last few months, and they are becoming very competitive. It's my ambition to help them to race faster than me. Really concentrate on your intervals and the knowledge that the faster your pace, the easier it will be in your marathons where you will probably be running two minutes per mile slower.

Last night's club session was very tough. We did 4 hilly figure of eight circuits of 0.72 miles. I was able to keep up with some of the fast group, and even managed to outsprint some of them. My times were 5.08 (7.08 miling pace) 5.18, 5.23 and 5.16. I am now just going to do easy runs the rest of the week, so that I will be "rearing to go" for Sundays race. I am aiming for sub 80 minutes, and will push hard to achieve this.

06/03/2013 at 12:14

Which race are you doing Terence? I'm entered in the Spen 20 but it's a long way to go so I may just do my own 20+ miler instead

06/03/2013 at 15:09

0050, I am doing the Salisbury 10 mile on Sunday, and two weeks later the Eastleigh 10k. My main target is the South Downs Marathon in June, hence my increase in weekly mileage. I did the Bramley 20 mile three weeks ago, and will do more 20's and possibly a 22 after Eastleigh.

Ran a nice 6 miler this morning at an easy pace.

06/03/2013 at 16:35

My intervals went well this morning so I'm a happy girlie again 

TE, is the Salisbury 10 miler off road?

06/03/2013 at 17:13

Lovely day yesterday. I went out with the running club in the evening, - didn't bother taking gloves, and had to take my jacket off half-way through.

06/03/2013 at 19:14

Red, unfortunately, it is all on road, but apparently has some nice scenery.

Columba, I wore shorts last night and didn't wear a hat or gloves.

06/03/2013 at 20:08

Eastleigh as in bi-election

06/03/2013 at 20:22

Did the 6 mile progression run yesterday, and the 6 mile tempo this morning at the crack of dawn because of going into the city at 8.30 with daughter no.1 - which was lovely, then pilates this evening. I have put a Spanish course on my i-pod so I can put my runs to good use!

JJ - I know what you are saying about the frustration of losing speed or strength with passing years. But it's people like you that keep people like me going!  Your experience and the example you set are more important than you can possibly imagine. So all power to your elbow.  And your legs!

Having done that 20 miles, what do you suggest I do on Saturday? And the next few weeks? Can I have a plan, please? And a taper?  I have made a note of all that you have advised me, about holding back on the first 6 miles for example. I would like to do another 20 miles .It is psychological.  Doing 18 makes me me wonder whether I have enough in me to do another 8 miles, whereas at the end of 20 I think I could probably pull another 6 out of the bag.

BI - That is a lovely photo of Nemo. I look forward to seeing some of Charly. And it seems as if your hip replacement has worked very well for you, so that is really great.

Loooong day at work tomorrow ( I swear it's more knackering than the 20 miles ) and then dance class in the evening 

06/03/2013 at 21:19

00 50, yes, the very same Eastleigh that made the headlines and put it on the map.

06/03/2013 at 21:48

No running today. Daughter arrived with her baby daughter so that tended to write off the day. Great fun though.

Matsmum
Buenos dias. Como esta?
Run 13 miles, preferably 13.2 miles. Do the first 10 miles at your target marathon pace then increase the pace for the final 3.2 miles. You must recover properly from your 20 miler.
Have you heard the saying that "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts". Training is a perfect example of that saying.
You don't have to run everywhere at 6 minute miling if you want to do a 36 minute 10k. You do some 10 milers and a lot of short work at much quicker than 6 minute miling.
Similarly with marathons. Clearly some long runs are needed of 4 or 5 hours but you also build leg strength and speed from, say, 6 and 10 mile runs at faster than marathon pace and short intervals at very fast pace.

If you need to do another 20 miler for psychological reasons then please go ahead but make sure it's at least 4 weeks before your marathon. I have never done a 20 mile training run. The most long runs I have done in marathon training is 2 x 18 miles. I have relied totally on a lot of fast 1/2 marathons, 6 mile tempo runs and sessions of long intervals. That bought me a 4:11 first marathon aged 60 and a 3:53 at age 65. Between now and your taper keep doing the sort of runs we have already discussed and if you can up the pace a bit it will be all to the good.
Every run you do causes microscopic tissue damage and uses energy stores. A taper is necessary because you have to start your marathon with all the damage repaired and all your energy reserves topped up. My usual advice for a 3 week taper is normal mileage for the first week but none of it hard/fast work. Just nice steady runs.
For the second taper week do half the normal distance on each run. No hard work though.
For the final week. Nothing Monday. Tuesday warm up, 4  x 400m fairly quick reps, warm down. Thursday an easy 3 miles. Nothing else until Sunday. 

If your normal diet is good don't change to anything different in the final week. Sudden changes in diet don't help.
JJ

06/03/2013 at 21:55

OO 50
The match died a bit after the sending off. It was a daft tackle but probably a yellow card and a warning would have been enough.

Redhead
Wonder if the doodle would like a pootle.
JJ

06/03/2013 at 22:33

Matsmum I tend to do more 20 milers than Johnny J but it does vary by individual. In my case marathon is my weakest distance and I regularly die at 20 miles in races. So getting to 20 in training and running sections of those runs at near marathon pace are important physically and psychologically. I got my best marathon time last year with 2 * 20 mile races and 2 additional 20 mile runs. It also depends what your target is, if you are trying to get round comfortably, or trying for a lifetime PB.

I had a lazy night off running but feeling guilty about it   

07/03/2013 at 09:07

Morning all.

A miserable wet morning and forecast colder and wet for Sunday. Why does it always seem to rain on race days? Going for another easy pace run later, and then two rest days.

Bonnie Tyler is to represent the UK in the European Song Contest this year. I remember her big hit record "Nothing but a heartache." Many people thought she was singing "Nothing but a hard egg" She can't do any worse than Sir Tom Jones who sang last year.

07/03/2013 at 09:31

Morning all,

I'm taking a rest day today as my ITB is a bit niggly.  I need a sports massage!

TE, LOL at Bonnie Tyler!  Didn't Englebert Humperdink do Eurovision as well?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.