'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,721 to 162,740 of 167,164 messages
07/03/2013 at 17:22

Used to love that gravelley voice. When I lived in France I was surprised to disciver she wasa big hit over there- still getting airplay on the radio.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
07/03/2013 at 20:42

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6763/gallery/aa009a.jpg?width=350

Matsmum - this is Charly at 8 months old, think the others may already have seen this one. He will be 10 months on the 15th.

08/03/2013 at 09:38

Morning all,

It's all dreary and wet here but I went out for a plod to test my legs, just 4.5 hilly miles.  Felt OK but didn't push much.  I gave my IT band a good pummelling with The Stick last night (stop it JJ!) and I think it's been frightened into submission; hope so anyway 

IW, has he grown into his ears yet?  He is so gorgeous 

TE, the forecast for Sunday keeps changing and there were some snowflakes on the map today!  Better cold than wet at any rate.

08/03/2013 at 10:20

It's wet here.

Went swimming yesterday, - a lesson, aiming to learn front crawl. Still working on The Legs. For a few seconds at a time, I can feel I'm getting it right, then I flounder again. But even those few seconds are progress.

08/03/2013 at 19:57

Well done Columba

08/03/2013 at 20:31

well sone Columba- i can't swim for toffee

08/03/2013 at 21:33

What a disgusting day weather-wise.
Bonnie Tyler can't be any worse than most of the other British entries. Just hope she gets a song that suits her voice.

Columba
Good progress with the swimming.

Redhead
I really think you should get someone else to administer the stick treatment.

OO 50
The number of 20 milers also has to depend on experience and the sort of training that has been done in the past. You have to build up to the level where you can run 20 milers with regularity.
JJ

08/03/2013 at 22:03
Redhead - are you doing VLM or Brighton?
09/03/2013 at 09:32

Red, it was Englebert and not Tom Jones. That was my deliberate mistake to see if anyone would spot it!

I've been unable to log into the RW web for a couple of days, but no one else seems to have had this problem. I've had RW saved in my favourites for years and it's always worked. I've been getting a message that the site is down for engineering repairs. I managed to log in this morning and entered the address manually and got in. Very strange. The type is smaller, and I've got "Path p" in a box at the bottom of the message box. Has anyone else had any problems?

It is forecast a max of 4 degrees tomorrow with a biting easterly wind making it feel much colder. Must get some thermals to wear under the shorts

09/03/2013 at 09:41

Since writing the above post, I've logged out and then tried again clicking on favourites and it worked!! The type is still smaller, but ok when posted. Some funny things going on in RW Towers.

09/03/2013 at 15:59

Why has the print gone tiny?  I need binoculars.

13.2 miles in absolute torrential rain.  Everywhere is under water.  I was soaked to the skin and chilled to the marrow by mile 6.  It tested my resolve. i couldn't stop shaking for ages when I got home, or move my hands. But other than that.... I felt strong!

JJ-  Hablas Espanol?  Me gusta escuchar a las lecciones en mi i-pod, yo he apprendido mucho  ( I think!!!)  Battling with the elements and paddling through water slowed my time down to 12.5 per mile for 10 miles, then I ran just kept running back and forth along a pavement at 10.5 until I clocked up another 3 miles.  The residents must have thought I was completely mad. I really appreciate your advice, it is a big help to me.

BI - Charly is a lovely boy. I miss having a dog very much. Perhaps after the marathon....

Columba - well done with the swimming. I just couldn't keep my legs up while attempting the crawl.  Even the swimming coach was flummoxed. Trying to co-ordinate everything was so difficult.

Red - is that stick good? Does it help?

Talking about mis-hearing lyrics ... For ages I thought that when Salt'n Pepper were singing "Push it!" that they were saying Bullshit. It sounds exactly like it!

09/03/2013 at 17:55

Matsmum, how about the Jimmy Hendrix song where he sings "excuse me whilst I kiss the sky." Many people thought he was singing "excuse me whilst I kiss this guy." I don't know why the print has gone tiny, but it is normal size once posted. Well done on your run in torrential rain, it takes a lot of resolve to keep going in those conditions. You will have an advantage in races over fair weather runners, in similar conditions.

Columba, well done persevering with the crawl. I've never mastered it, but can swim long distances using the breast stroke.

09/03/2013 at 20:17

Evening all,

Did a good 5.5 miles this morning without any niggles to speak of.  It was one of my hilly circuits and I did the last mile faster so was quite pleased.  Still cutting back tomorrow and probably won't do more than 15 (ish).

Hi Tracey, I'm doing both - how about you? 

JJ, sometimes it's best to just do it yourself 

Matsmum, well done on your rainy run.  Runs in adverse weather conditions are great for mental stamina.  The Stick is very effective - have a look out for one when you collect your VLM number at the Expo.  I find mine very useful when I can't get an appointment with Mary Massage Lady.

TE, I've got the tiny print and Path p p too!  Good luck tomorrow.  I hope all your hard training pays off and that it isn't too cold.  I'll be sending you supportive vibes xxx

09/03/2013 at 20:28

RW website is as flakey as it gets. I've got small font size too.

Matsmum
Pienso que no! No hablo espanol. Dos o tres palabras?
I  did a couple of term's Spanish at school but that's nearly 60 years ago now.
JJ

09/03/2013 at 20:34

Talking of changing song lyrics, do you remember this one by the Crystals (I think)

Well, he walked up to me and he asked me if I wanted to dance.
He looked
kinda nice and so I said I might take a chance.
When he danced he held me
tight
and when he walked me home that night
all the stars were shining
bright
and then he kicked me.
Each time I saw him I couldn't wait to see
him again.
I wanted to let him know that he was more than a friend.
I
didn't know just what to do
so I whispered "I love you"
and he said that
he loved me too
and then he kicked me.
He kicked me in a way that I've
never been kicked before,
he kicked me in a way that I wanna be kicked
forever more.
I knew that he was mine so I gave him all the love that I had

and one day he took me home to meet his mom and his dad.
Then he asked
me to be his bride
and always be right by his side.
I felt so happy I
almost cried
and then he kicked me.
Then he asked me to be his bride

and always be right by his side.
I felt so happy I almost cried
and
then he kicked me.
And then he kicked me.
And then he kicked me.

09/03/2013 at 21:04

Red, hope all your niggles clear up and take it easy during your 15 miler tomorrow. Your supporting vibes will be welcome for tomorrows race and I will be running as fast as possible to prevent frost bite. The forecast is for snow and getting worse on Monday.

JJ, it was indeed The Crystals who sang "And then he kicked me" Well done for remembering the words. I think it was recorded in 1963. Do you remember the Shangri-Las who were also very popular in the sixties. They had some great hits such as "Leader of the Pack," their debut single "Remember walkin' in the sand" and "Give him a great big kiss."

10/03/2013 at 07:49

Morning all,

No snow yet, but the sky looks very threatening. It's 3 degrees at the moment, but the forecasters say that with the wind chill it will feel minus 1. Will be setting off in another hour or so, and do a race report later. If anyone else is racing today, the best of luck.

10/03/2013 at 14:12

Um......"kicked"? JJ I think you mean "kissed"!

My font is just tiny, what in the world is going on?

10/03/2013 at 15:00

Afternoon all,

Just popped in to see if Terry's back yet.

15 miles for me earlier with not much niggling and reasonable breathing.  I left home at 6:30 am and it was comparatively mild with no wind but after the first hour I felt the temperature dropping and the wind started to make its presence felt.  I was glad I'd worn my lightweight gloves and 2 base layers.

I think "kicked' sounds better!

10/03/2013 at 17:13

BIW we know it was "kissed" it was JJ's way of describing how lyrics can be misunderstood.

Red, well done on your 15 miler, wasn't it cold today. Thanks for your vibes, they were very helpful.

The race went even better than I had expected, and I recorded 1.18.40 on my Garmin for 10.06 miles. This is my fastest 10 mile race time for 5 years, so I am really pleased that my hard training has paid off. My WAVA was 74.69, so I am on the upward path!  It was very, very cold, with a biting NE wind, and there were a couple of reasonable hills. These didn't bother me, although many walked them, as my hill work is paying dividends. I did a negative split, and my miles were:- 8.05 7.46 8.02 7.40 7.55 7.48 7.58 7.53 7.35 7.33. No goody bag or medal, but a very nice T shirt.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.