'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,741 to 162,760 of 166,857 messages
10/03/2013 at 17:30

JJ - What's that, then, the Domestic Abuse song?

Well done TE, that sounds like a brilliant race, and with hills and bitter cold weather too!

Did just under  8 miles yesterday, including a pyramid session, same as the last twice and much the same speeds on the quick bits. Very glad I ran yesterday and don't have to run today as there is a beastly cold wind and occasional timy flakes of snow drifting down. 

I hope this tiny print isn't going to be a permanent feature. I know it normalises once submitted, but I still have to peer at the screen when typing. And what's this Path: p all about?

10/03/2013 at 17:44

I must say I'm liking the kicked version Johnny J.

My font has shrunk too- is it a cost saving idea?

10/03/2013 at 19:33

For technical problems complain to /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gifupport@runnersworld.co.uk]support@runnersworld.co.uk .

Columba
Some people reckon the correct song version is abuse! 

TE
Excellent race and a very good age grading. I reckon 10 miles is about the best test of speed and endurance.
JJ

10/03/2013 at 21:10

Oh Terry, that's brilliant, very well done!  What an excellent time; you deserve to celebrate somehow 

00 it's an age thing - just ask JJ 

Typing that reminded me of DavidB who's too busy playing hockey to come on here and play with us any more, but smutty remarks and double entendre always used to draw him out of hiding didn't they JJ.

10/03/2013 at 21:16

Columba and JJ, thanks.

It was my first attempt at the Salisbury 10 mile and it was run almost entirely on country roads, and finished on the running track. The roads were narrow and winding, and some of the cars came a bit too close for comfort. I took the first mile rather cautiously, as the wind was so cold, I was afraid I might pull a muscle. Once I had warmed up, I felt more confident and got into a nice rhythm.

10/03/2013 at 21:23

Red, our posts crossed. Thanks and your vibes helped me to a good race time. I did celebrate, after a fashion, by drinking half a bottle of red wine with my late lunch.

11/03/2013 at 07:19

Well run TE and the positive WAVA. Mine has been creeping down for  few months

11/03/2013 at 09:24

Morning all

We've got snow and cold Easterly winds and I got blown over taking the haynets, full of hay, into the horses' field shelters!  Glad it's a no-run day.

I forgot to say that i ran the last 4 miles yesterday at MP.

Glad to hear you did celebrate TE 

11/03/2013 at 09:31

00 50, thanks. My  top WAVA is 81.65, so I have still got a long way to go to get back to that standard.

It's minus 1 at present, and it snowed overnight and has settled. It is now snowing intermittently. I've an appointment later with the Hygenist, who uses a water scaler which is quite unpleasant.

11/03/2013 at 12:44

Snow here.

Redhead
I bow to your superior knowledge about shrinkage.
David B and Chimp were the ultimate smutmeisters. Unbelievably funny.

TE
In terms of getting back to +80% age grading, speed deteriorates quicker than endurance. Keep your endurance training to the minimum necesary to maintain it and concentrate on pure speed. 200s, 400s and very fast 3 mile runs seem to be what's needed to get to 39 - 40 mins at 10k when over 60.
JJ

11/03/2013 at 14:09

On the other hand, if it's just % you're looking at, rather than absolute speed, everyone the same age is in the same boat. I mean, as regards the deterioration of speed.

11/03/2013 at 15:14

JJ, thanks for the advice. I certainly intend keeping up the speed and hill sessions on club nights and I will race the Eastleigh 10k, Sunday week really hard. This will give me a good indication of how my speed is progressing. I think that sub 40 minutes at 67 is out of the question. To equal my +80% age grading would require 43.53. I will be aiming for around 47 minutes, and hoping to improve in future races later in the year.

Columba, yes we all lose speed as we age, but the WAVA factor shows us how our speed compares to that when we were younger. For example, a runner under 40 running a 10k in 31.10, and as a vet aged 60 running 38.00, would have an age adjusted time of 30.33. He has, therefore, actually increased his pace in age adjusted terms.

11/03/2013 at 15:29

Finally got back here and read through some of your doings.

Fantastic long runs from Red & Matsmum. I know what you mean, Matsmum, about needing the long runs from a confidence perspective, but I can also vouch for JJ's advice. When I did my best preparation in 2008, I did 1 x 16, 1 x 17, 2 x 18 & 1 x 20 mile long runs, with some interval & hill work too, and got a PB on that occasion. 2 years later, I improved my time again with 2 x 20 (one quite a long time before the marathon) + just one 16 mile in addition, and once again some speed work and hills plus a few hald marthon type distances. I couldn't believe that I would be able to run further and faster than my longest runs, but it DID work. You seem very well prepared indeed.

What a great result for TE too. The hard work is paying off, and it is so nice that you are helping fellow team mates in their endeavours too. My best ever marathon was done with the company and encouragement of a chap from my running club, who really kept me going when I was struggling in the last few miles.

Hope mcs is having a good first day in the new job. Wonder if combining public transport and running is a possibility?

Welcome to John & OO 50, who have appeared in my absence. I am another relatively late starter to running, having begun at 50 (over 8 years ago now). Can't imagine life without it now!

No definite plans for racing, but I signed up to the Jantastic challenge which meant a target number of runs per week in January, target number plus target longest each week in February, and the addition of a target pace for one race or timed run in March. Meanwhile I joined a second challenge of running every day in MArch (though some days have only been a gentle 1.6 miles or so - in effect recovery days.

I'm now wondering about a 10k challenge, having read about Red & JJ's plans. It was Red (and Lady Lucan who used to post here) who paced me to my 10k PB of 56:05 in Brighton back in 2007, and we met JJ afterwards on the pier.

11/03/2013 at 17:36

There's a nice 10k in Worthing in early June. Fast and flat - and in the evening (Wednesday). I've done it a few times and the weather has always been kind. (Cue plague of locusts this year!)

Could be PB territory? Big field, nice atmosphere too.

Just a thought to get you through winter's final blast (we hope).

11/03/2013 at 21:33

Hi Diana and welcome back. I think it is important to mentor other club members, and it is so rewarding seeing their improvements in pace and race confidence. If you are looking for a 10k, our Exbury 10k on Sunday still has vacancies, and it is a lovely run. The following Sunday is the Eastleigh  10k, but it might be too late to enter.

If anyone is interested, my build up to my marathon pb, with all my long runs being in the New Forest are as follows: 26.25 Potteries Marathon; 12; Portsmouth Corporate Cup 5k (18.19); 17; 17; 20.25; 20; 20; 21.5; rest day; 15; 6; New Forest Marathon 3.12.26

12/03/2013 at 09:29

Morning all. Here we have a thin layer of snow underfoot, sunshine streaming down to make it all sparkling and pretty, and a cold wind still blowing but not quite as hard as yesterday. The temperature in my north-facing unheated kitchen is 8 degrees.

Should be going out with the running club this evening, but will wait for their email; they will cancel if they anticipate ice underfoot, and if they do I shall have to decide whether to go out on my own during the daytime hours.

12/03/2013 at 09:39

Morning all,

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  We've not had much more snow, although it's trying a bit at the moment, but the ice is very thick and the wind is really strong.  No traffic going along our lane and I shall be doing my intervals on the treddy later.

Hi Diana, welcome back from your travels.  Brighton 10k then?  I really need to see how my body copes with my 'streak' before I commit fully to a pb attempt.

Hi JohnB, Worthing 10k?  I haven't heard of that (probably 'cos I concentrate more on marathons).  Is it a very clubby brace with lots of speedy whippets?

12/03/2013 at 10:03
Redhead - be cold for streaking
12/03/2013 at 10:04

Hi Redhead,

Yes it's quite 'clubby' and a decent standard in terms of times. But being on the south coast (Costa Geriatrica) there's planty of oldies too!

12/03/2013 at 14:19

Silly girl Tracey!

JB, it's the old ones who always sprint past me so I would be the one right at the back finishing 20 minutes after everyone else 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.