'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,761 to 162,780 of 165,808 messages
12/03/2013 at 09:39

Morning all,

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!  We've not had much more snow, although it's trying a bit at the moment, but the ice is very thick and the wind is really strong.  No traffic going along our lane and I shall be doing my intervals on the treddy later.

Hi Diana, welcome back from your travels.  Brighton 10k then?  I really need to see how my body copes with my 'streak' before I commit fully to a pb attempt.

Hi JohnB, Worthing 10k?  I haven't heard of that (probably 'cos I concentrate more on marathons).  Is it a very clubby brace with lots of speedy whippets?

12/03/2013 at 10:03
Redhead - be cold for streaking
12/03/2013 at 10:04

Hi Redhead,

Yes it's quite 'clubby' and a decent standard in terms of times. But being on the south coast (Costa Geriatrica) there's planty of oldies too!

12/03/2013 at 14:19

Silly girl Tracey!

JB, it's the old ones who always sprint past me so I would be the one right at the back finishing 20 minutes after everyone else 

12/03/2013 at 15:25

No snow today, but bitterly cold. Mobile phone has been u/s for a few days, which is why I hadn't been getting any texts. Also wouldn't connect to server to get e mails. Went into S'ton on the bus to the 02 shop and they fitted a new sim card. They had previously put the one from my old phone into it when I bought it at Christmas. They advised it could take up to 24 hours to connect to the server again, but the text facility is now working. They also said to switch the phone on and off from time to time. Presumably this is the equivalent of rebooting a computer. To add insult to injury, I accidentally deleted all my contacts, so have been spending the afternoon reinstating them. Still a few to go, but they will have to wait until tomorrow.

Thank goodness I've got the club this evening where I can let off some steam

12/03/2013 at 17:01

Diana D! Welcome back! Where have you been all this time?

JJ and TE - you really made me laugh. I've been singing "And then he kicked me" all day. When my husband and I (!!) were students we used to sing that song by Don Williams, I believe in You.....

Gasoline's in short supply,

The rising cost of getting high...

It was only years later when we had a decent player that we realised it was the rising cost of getting by!  

Anyway, I needed something to make me laugh... I have had a worrying pain in my foot and I haven't run since Saturday.   I don't know if it was pounding the streets in icy sodden trainers that's done it. It was fine on the run but a couple of hours later it was so painful I couldn't put weight on it and practically hopped round Tesco to do the weekend shop. So scared it might be morton's neuroma since the symptoms seemed to fit the bill, but I am steering clear of doctors and taking ibuprofen and leaving running until Saturday.  I am going to dancing since that uses my body, and pilates . Oh dear. Fed up. Only 5 weeks to go. Confidence is sinking.

12/03/2013 at 19:38

'lo all. Masses of drifting snow here. No chance of running anywhere but it has been melting a bit this afternoon.

Matsmum
No need to worry just yet about losing fitness. A slight deterioration starts after 2 - 3 weeks of doing nothing. Have you got a bike? If so, a couple of bike rides will help maintain cardio-vascular fitness and it's non load bearing. Where in the foot is the pain? Left or right? How many miles have you run in the trainers?

Diana
Interesting challenge.
I remember the 2007 Brighton 10k very well.
JJ

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
12/03/2013 at 20:05

Welcome back Diana.

Heavy snow here today, we got sent home from work before lunchtime! It's continued to snow up to this evening and the snow plough drivers are working overtime out there, one just went past our house. We abandoned all thoughts of going to swim training tonight and opted for a core workout instead. Be interesting to see what sort of conditions we have in the morning, if it's as bad as the forecast says I shall not be going to work!

12/03/2013 at 22:22

Matsmum, is the pain in the top of your foot, or in the sole? A few years ago, I had been returning from a 13 mile run, when I got a lot of pain on the top of my left foot along the long bones.I believe it may have been a metatarus injury. I also steered clear of Doctors and put up with the pain.I was unable to run for several weeks. I don't know whether Morton's Neuroma is the same thing. Don't try to run on it until the pain has subsided. I tried too soon to get back and made things worse.

Thankfully, we haven't had any snow today, and what we had yesterday has now melted.

The bitterly cold wind must have put off many of our club members as numbers were less than usual. We did 4 sets of Kenyan Hills, each set comprising a steady pace up and down to the first lampost and so on to the fifth, with one minute jog recovery between sets. Total mileage was seven.

12/03/2013 at 22:36

A neuroma is a nerve thing, not a bone thing. (That is the extent of my knowledge). Hope it clears up quickly, Matsmum, whatever it is.

Oh dear, still got this tiny print. I sent a complaining email but have had no reply.

Running club was on, so I went. Beastly cold, but after 10-15 minutes was not so bad and even took off headband.

Next Saturday is the Rhayader round-the-lakes 20-miler. No, I am not doing it, but there's a 5-miler takes place at the same time and I shall do that.

12/03/2013 at 23:09

Foot injuries are a bugger, do take care with that Matsmum. Very hard to shift if they set in.

13/03/2013 at 09:22

A nice bright sunny morning for a change and current temperature 3 degrees. Looking forward to a pleasant run later this morning.

Columba, I've still got the small print and "Path p" at the bottom of the post window. RW have been aware of the problem since it came back on line, so why it's taking so long to rectify, I just can't imagine.

13/03/2013 at 14:45

Afternoon all,

No running today as I've swapped my rest day from Friday to allow Mary Massage Lady to have a good go at my ITB.  She did all the usual painful poking and it feels much better.  We had a good laugh when I said that it never bothers me until I get to about 18 miles and then it twinges a bit.  She pointed out that actually 18 miles is quite a long way.   Distance runners are a funny breed aren't we?!!!!

Matsmum, rest and ice it.  Do not even consider running on it and I'm not sure that dancing is a good idea but you know your own body best.  We're at the danger point in our training when failing to listen to your body can have devastating consequences so please take care and don't worry about losing fitness.

Snow's more or less gone here now and that horrid wind has quietened down too thank goodness but it's still bitterly cold.

Take care everyone.

13/03/2013 at 16:06

Had a really enjoyable 8 mile run this morning, with the sun shining, and back into shorts again.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
13/03/2013 at 16:27

Our weather has improved quite a lot, that awful wind has died down and no more snow, thank heavens. The weatherman said - wait for it - we may get some sunshine tomorrow! If so, then my poor dirty car is going through the car wash on my way home.

45mns on the bike tonight. I shall pedal while watching "The Chase" - love that show and it's amazing the odd bits of trivia you pick up from it.

13/03/2013 at 16:58

BIW "The Chase" is just about to start and I will be watching. It's one of the best quiz shows on TV.

13/03/2013 at 18:40

The pain is on my left foot, underneath on the left side of the ball, towards my toes. I can walk on it now. I did go to dancing but kept everything low impact, and although I could feel it I wasn't forced to stop. But I think I am going to have to be really careful. Have drowned my sorrows with beer and crisps. It's all my own fault - The trainers I use were bought 15 months ago, and I have probably done too many miles in them.

I can't rest my feet because I have a small pre-school and I am on my feet all day, lifting, carrying, teaching, cleaning.  But I won't attempt to run until Saturday. Keep everything crossed for me!

JJ - I have an exercise bike and will do some sessions on that. And maybe some walking on the treddy might be a good idea. Also I have bought some new trainers via the internet. Just enough time to break them in.

13/03/2013 at 21:22

Matsmum - do those new trainers duplicate a pair you've already had?

Didn't run today, been working. Still cold but not as bad as it has been. Going over th high ground between home and Aber there was a bit of snow.

13/03/2013 at 22:48

I usedto runatennisball under my foot when I had problems

14/03/2013 at 08:51

When I had the problem with pain on the top of my left foot, I started pulling my toes backwards and forwards with my hand, and have religiously continued doing this to both feet daily. Another exercise I have read about, but don't do, is to pick up a pencil between the toes.

A very bright morning, but a heavy frost covering the ground and car windscreens.

We have a speed session tonight with the club.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.