'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,781 to 162,800 of 167,197 messages
14/03/2013 at 22:32

Diana, I'm afraid I'm not up to speed with all the modern technology. Luckily, I can make my Garmin do all I want, and am confident with all the various functions of my laptop, but all the functions of the phone are a bit bewildering. I remember the days when there were telephone operators who got the numbers for you and also answered the phone and put you through to the right department. None of this , press 1 for this, 2 for that etc., and then speak to a robot. 

3 sets of 4 x 45 secs with jogs back, and 1.5 minute walk recoveries between sets in tonight's club session. Total mileage 9.42.

15/03/2013 at 07:26

Morning all,

Nice running TE, 00 and Diana and good swimming from Columba.

I'm just back from 4.5 miles with a few fartleks thrown in to wake up my legs.  Still cold out there although not much frost.  Final 20 miler on Sunday.

Happy running everyone.

Just noticed that I've now got "Pathppppp!

15/03/2013 at 09:05

Diana - 9.02 for a mile, - I'd be thrilled if I got that. I can achieve that pace, but not over that distance.

TE - I keep answering the phone to robots. Or rather, to recorded messages telling me something irrelevant that I didn't want to know.  When I get a list of "options", I sometimes wonder how people with poor short-term memories manage if there are 5 or 6 options, - by the time the end of the list is reached, they've probably forgotten what the first ones were.  

Redhead - you're evidently getting favourable treatment. I've still only got Path: p - and mini-print.

15/03/2013 at 09:09

Red, another early morning run for you! Hope your 20 miler on Sunday goes well.

A rest day today, but hoping to run with Helen tomorrow, if her physio. gives her the go ahead. She is scheduled for an 18 miler in her VLM programme. I've got 11 weeks now until the SDM. On Sunday I am marshalling at the Club's Exbury 10k. and the following Sunday am racing in the Eastleigh 10k. I'm hoping for a really fast time

15/03/2013 at 09:13

Columba, our posts crossed. I sometimes find that none of the phone options are really appropriate to my requirements, and therefore listen to them all again, to find the nearest match. I've still got Path. and tiny print.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
15/03/2013 at 11:03

Me too.

40-minute run in the woods yesterday afternoon with the dogs, glorious sunshine and sparkly white snow, now that's more like it.

15/03/2013 at 20:37

No running here. Got home exhausted from work and had a 2 hour sleep (bit of an age thing going on I think). I awoke to nice smells for tea and a bottle of rose. All thoughts of a run went out the window.

I'll parkrun in the morning so I hope the rest has done me good

Good running to you all this w/end!

16/03/2013 at 09:19

Morning all,

A damp miserable morning, but sunny spells forecast for the afternoon. Helen got the ok from the physio, but has decided not to run this weekend. In the circumstances, I will probably just run 10 miles so that I am "fresh" for tomorrow weeks 10k.

Seems like we are going to have another wet day tomorrow for the club's 10k race and I would rather be running than marshalling, but without the support of Marshalls, these races couldn't go ahead. 

16/03/2013 at 09:20

BI - that sounds lovely!

'OO' - that sounds lovely too!

I have a 5-mile race today. The one that's run in conjunction with the 20-mile "Rhayader round the lakes" race.

16/03/2013 at 15:54

Columba, I hope you did well in your race today.

I ran a good pace 10 miles on roads this morning in sunshine, but cold winds.

16/03/2013 at 16:56

Haven't been on here for a couple of days. Very busy helping MrsJJ with some of her consultancy work and lots of gardening association work too.

I've decided to have a year when I run if I feel like it and where I feel like running instead of following training schedules for races. I will confine my racing to club events like evening handicaps and some XC in the autumn.

Off to watch England beat Wales. will be back later to comment on feet but it's something I know very little about.
JJ

16/03/2013 at 17:38

Race done. Did it in less than an hour, which I was pleased about, and was not last, which I was even more pleased about. It rained, and I got very wet, and glasses became so obscured I had to push them down my nose and look over the top of them at the hazy world.

The people running the 20-mile race got the rain as snow, - and some of them were in singlets and shorts!

16/03/2013 at 17:40

JJ, that sounds like a good idea. You do seem to have a lot of other things (besides racing) keeping you busy.

16/03/2013 at 19:01

England didn't deserve to win that one. They were outplayed in scrums, line-out and in loose play.

Columba
Shame about the race conditions but it's all good training and experience.

I sleep well!

Matsmum
Shoes need changing every 400-500 miles. They aren't worn out but the cushioning gets compressed and doesn't protect the legs and feet effectively. I assume you bought the same make and model of shoe because they are all very different. 

Have you been to a proper running shoe shop so that they can analyse how you run and give you what is right for you? You won't find a proper shop on the main High St.
JJ

16/03/2013 at 19:38

I have just been informed by one of the club members that parts of tomorrows race course are flooded. A few minutes ago, there were several flashes of lightning and claps of thunder, so things could be very interesting. Warm clothes will have to be worn, as it is going t be very cold and windy.

I am having problems logging into my laptop, and getting message "The DNS Server isn't responding." Eventually, I do get in, but it needs sorting. If I don't appear on here for a day or so, that will be why. The problem seems to stem from when I downloaded IE 10. A warning came up that compatibility problems were known, so I downloaded the Windows "hot fix" package that was supposed to sort it out. It was ok for a few days, and then started playing up.

Edited: 16/03/2013 at 19:39
16/03/2013 at 22:23
Matsmum - this running larks not cheap. My hubby says its cheaper to be a fat slob

Diana - I buy my shoes from Sport Shoes too

JJ - I stick to the 500 mile rule
16/03/2013 at 23:08

shoe prices seem to have gone up a lot lately

16/03/2013 at 23:33
Every time a updated model comes out the price goes up ??5
16/03/2013 at 23:33
??5
17/03/2013 at 09:13

Running is still cheaper than skiing. And motor racing.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.