'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,821 to 162,840 of 165,824 messages
19/03/2013 at 09:29

Hi Tone, a nice surprise to see your post on here. It's a very long time since you last posted and I hope you will find the time to make more regular contributions.

Red, sorry that Tinker is not well and do hope that he gets better. You are doing the right thing by going for a run, as it should help to take your mind off him for a while.

Very thick fog round here and the local radio has stated that as usual, many drivers are driving without lights. Why are so many drivers so stupid? Why do they think cars have lights and fog lights?

Tonight's club session will be mile reps. so that will be a good sharpener for Sunday's 10k.

Off to the dentist later this morning, to have a filling replaced in a back tooth.

19/03/2013 at 10:03

Red - sorry to hear about Tinker; but glad to hear he was purring as you typed! What sort of age is he? You referred to him as an "old cat".

Hello Tony, welcome back. You sound very busy. 

Official time for the 5-miler is 56:29, which gives me a 63.87% age grading. There were just 2 behind me!

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
19/03/2013 at 16:06

Tony, good to have you back. We've not had as much snow as you but still I'm sick of it too. Drawdown I understand very well, working for the U.S. Forces, they started drawdown back in 1991 and have gradually been reducing in Europe ever since. I'm surprised there's been very little in the news about the current state of the U.S. economy - our American civilian colleagues are about to be put on furlough - one day off unpaid each week until the end of September. We have a hiring ban, so can't replace anyone who leaves us. All good fun!

19/03/2013 at 18:49

Tony
Excellent time for the 10 and you've clearly been training well for VLM so things are looking up. keep us posted.

Redhead
Poor old mogs. I'm sure he knows you're doing your best.

Columba
What is your best race age grading so far?
JJ

19/03/2013 at 20:52

JJ - I got 67% in a 10k about 3 years ago. Another race in which I was the last finisher.

Running club tonight. Except that when I opened the door, it was to find a blizzard in progress! - It must have only just started, because when I went to get changed there was nothing precipitating. It was very wet snow; hopefully it will have disappeared tomorrow and I can go for a non-club run.

19/03/2013 at 21:40

Hello Tony. I'm running VLM too and gett rather nervous 5 weeks out. I think it's my 7th or 8th VLM and 15th marathon.

Heard of the sad death of a friend at the running club tonight. Committed suicide at the w/end following a family split and job troubles. Very sad for the 3 kids he leaves behind.  

20/03/2013 at 09:25

00 50, Sad news about your running friend, he must have been very desperate to leave behind 3 children.

An excellent session with the club last night. We did 4 x 1 mile hilly circuits, with 90 sec jog recoveries between circuits.  Our total mileage was 8.76. Off for an easy pace recovery run later. 

20/03/2013 at 09:44

Morning all,

Tinker says thank you for your good wishes and he's feeling much brighter this morning.  It turns out he has developed an infection of the urinary tract, poor love, but the medication I gave him yesterday has started to work almost immediately.  He's such a brave little fellow.

Columba, he's 17 and has always taken some very challenging health set-backs in his stride.

00 that is so sad.  He must have been desperate and feeling completely isolated.

TE, another good session.

Right, yesterday turned into a very satisfactory tempo run of 5 miles.  Today will be 8 miles @ marathon pace with a brief stop at the vets to collect some more medicine for Tinker.  It isn't raining at the moment but I bet it does when I go out!

20/03/2013 at 12:04

Hurrah for Tinker, brave little cat.

Had minor surgery this morning on my right hand so no swimming until the stitches come out in 8 - 10 days. Can still run though and ride my bike,but I'll cycle indoors only, on the roller, even I am not silly enough to go out on the road!

Poor children, left without their Dad, he must have been at the end of his tether to even think of abandoning his family.

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 12:07
20/03/2013 at 15:42

Red, your training is going very well. Have you conquered your breathing problems now?

BIW, hope surgery wasn't painful.

A very easy pace 6 mile run this morning. 

20/03/2013 at 16:23

TE, well done for marshalling. Several of our former Beginners will have been among the slower ladies you encouraged. They struggled through sleet around Lepe, so will have needed your support!

Nice to see you again Tony. Several more of our club members ran the Salisbury 10 too. In fact, two of our men placed first and fourth.

Glad Tinker is feeling better, Red.

OO 50 - tragic news from your club. How very sad that he was unable to turn to someone for support.

I'm still keeping up with my 'run every day in March' challengew, and have clocked up 81 miles so far this month, despite several days a week being quite short distances. Fartlek is on the agenda with the club tonight, so I can take it as I feel.

The sun is actually out, although it's still pretty cold, so I managed a couple of hours at the allotment today.

20/03/2013 at 17:32

'OO' - that is tragic, about your friend. There was a rather similar case here a few weeks ago, - didn't know him very well, but know his mother. He too was living alone, having separated from his wife, who had custody of the children. But he had work, and friends, and was well liked, and no-one seemed to have anticipated this. Apparently his dog had just died; maybe that was the final straw.

BIW, hope you recover quickly from the surgery.

Snow nearly all gone so ran just under 7 miles, including a "pyramid".

20/03/2013 at 17:33

... and best wishes to Tinker, - 17! A good age, even for a cat!

20/03/2013 at 18:56

He's still got some years in him yet, with luck. My female cat died at 20 and a friend's cat was 22!

Moving the computer mouse with my left hand is tricky!

20/03/2013 at 22:01

Evening all,

Tinker says hello to everyone.  He's been eating everything in sight today.  Hoorah!  My 8 miles turned into 9 miles and it didn't rain.  Hoorah again!  The final one goes to the lovely wool shop which will be donating the yarn for me to knit at VLM.  Hoorah!

IW, what have you had done to your hand?  Are you becoming addicted to operations?!   I hope he has got some more years in him - one of our cats lived to 20 as well but I'd love it if he reached 22 or more.

Diana, keep up the good work.

Columba, well done on your pyramid.  I quite like that sort of run.

TE, not sure about the breathing problems being conquered as I'm very wheezy today but I've had a good couple of weeks.  I hope that putting it in writing doesn't jinx me!

21/03/2013 at 09:14

Redhead - it's a condition called snap finger, or in my case thumb. When you bend the affected digit the middle  joint snaps back on its own, rather painfully. It's not something that gets better by itself without surgical intervention, what they do is make a small incision in the palm under the "bad" finger, then cut the "ring band" which is constricting the nerve. 10-min op under local anasthetic, couple of stitches and it's done. Not something I'd choose to happen! Typing only left-handed is a nuisance, and my writing is a nightmare, looks like an insect trail. Still, did one hour on the indoor bike trainer last night.

No addiction to ops - I'm chafing at the bit already with this bandage on my right hand. Not allowed to drive either

21/03/2013 at 09:28

Morning all,

Another dim, miserable morning, with heavy rain forecast later

Diana, thanks, it makes the marshalling so worth while, when we get appreciation from the runners and club reps. The race got a very upbeat write up in the Echo and we hope to put on an equally good show next year.

Columba, good running there, and pyramids are a great way of increasing pace.

Red, hope your good weeks continue.

Only 11 weeks to go now to the SDM, so will bump up my long runs again after Sunday's Eastleigh 10k. Our club has chosen this race to be its Championship Race, and times will be age related. I am, therefore, hoping that my adjusted time will be the fastest. If I achieve my target of 47 minutes, this will equate to 36.01 minutes. Whether this will be fast enough remains to be seen, but I will run my hardest.

21/03/2013 at 09:52

Morning all,

The sun's out, maybe not for long but it lifts the spirits immediately   I've got intervals scheduled for later so hope it lasts.

TE, I bet you'll get 47 mins if the weather is on your side.  Paws crossed for you.

IW, ouch, that sounds horrid.  Hope it heals quickly.

21/03/2013 at 15:45

Red, the forecast for Sunday is very cold, with a 17% chance of rain. I haven't run it before, but it is described as flat and a pb course. Hope your intervals go well.

I ran a very cold and wet 5 miles this morning, which I didn't enjoy at all. The easterly wind was biting and my hands were frozen. I should have worn gloves. Tomorrow and Saturday will be rest days, so that I am rearing to go on Sunday. 

21/03/2013 at 15:49

Can I ask advice please - as an older runner (53) I started running to lose weight at the start of 2011 after a 12 year break and 3 stone increase in weight - I am currently running about 40-45 miles per week in preperation for a 5 in two weeks time.

My problem is quite simply tired legs - the problem I think I have, is that I am trying to replicate the training I did in my late 20s and 30s when I ran every day sometimes twice - with two speed sessions and fast tempo running - 

Now I am older (I suppose I know the answer really) should I either take at least one rest day a week, or a greatly reduced week training week every 4th week/ or indeed both - Rest, because of my background is an almost alien concept - (my goal is to get as close to 30 minutes for 5 this year as possible.

Thanks

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.