'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,841 to 162,860 of 167,197 messages
22/03/2013 at 10:15

Morning all,

Welcome Grendel.  You are a speedster!

I've got a rest day today.  Yesterday's intervals went well - 1 mile warm-up then 6 x 800m @ 8.5 min miling with 1 min recs inbetween then 1 mile cool-down.  Breathing fine, legs fine.  Happy girl   I'll be doing a 6 miler tomorrow and then 13-15 on Sunday then it's serious taper time ahead of Brighton.

Terry, hope it isn't as cold as predicted.  Hope you run well and feel strong throughout and come home in the time you want.  Will send supportive thoughts your way.

Edited: 22/03/2013 at 10:16
22/03/2013 at 11:12

Red, that was a very good session yesterday, your pace is getting faster! Thanks for your support for Sunday. I must remember to pack my cap and gloves. I intend going off quicker than of late, and to try to maintain my effort. My training has gone to plan, and now it is up to me to put it into serious race mode.

22/03/2013 at 12:14

Thanks for the welcome all - I am guessing the answer to my question is at the grand old age of 53 - I do need rest days - Well am running the Braintree 5 in two weeks time - so will drop the mileage right down - deciding not to rest today I headed out into the wind - fun that was (not) the wind was whipping the sand up off the beach as I ran along the sea wall towards Clacton - I think I was running around 11 minute miles at one point - the return journey down to just over 8s!!!!  a 3 minute differential - decided to do 4 rather than 3- two more days running then, due to do 5 tomorrow and 8 Sunday  I will take a rest day Monday and then halve my mileage over the next two weeks. Will hopefully have a bit of spring in my step come the 7th April.

Thanks Again for the welcome

22/03/2013 at 16:25

It has been raining hard - verging on sleet - all day in mid-Wales. Fortunately for me I live very near the top of a hill.

Red, glad to hear you're doing so well.

22/03/2013 at 22:06

Bitterly cold wind all day. Face was aching with cold doing the doodle walk.

Redhead
Great session. Things are going well.

Grendel
We would be interested in a race report.

53 ain't a grand old age but it's usually somewhere near the start of the steepening age degeneration curve.
JJ

23/03/2013 at 08:53

Thick snow here today, - has evidently been snowing all night, and is still coming down. Milkman hasn't called, - disaster! - Well, not quite disaster, - I had enough for breakfast.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
23/03/2013 at 08:59

Keep warm everyone! We've had no snow here for a change but it's grey and cloudy with a bitterly cold wind. Today is work day at the dog club but I'm excused because of the stitches in my hand - can't even sweep using just my left hand and I'd be dangerous cutting the hedges!

23/03/2013 at 09:02

Morning all,

It's cold, wet (alternating between sleet and snow) and blowing a gale.  I am, as a result of this,  procrastinating and haven't been for my run yet.  I'll just finish this cup of coffee..........

23/03/2013 at 09:32

Very cold here too, with snow causing accidents on the M3 at Junction 6 for Basingstoke. It hasn't reached the New Forest yet, but it is raining.

There about 27 runners from our club competing tomorrow in the Eastleigh 10k. This is probably our largest entry to any race, as it is our club championship. We are only a small club, so sometimes struggle to enter full teams in the Hampshire Road Race League HRRL. 

Good luck to all those racing tomorrow.

23/03/2013 at 10:57

More wet snow here but at least it's stopped briefly.
Out to lunch later.

Redhead
Still finishing the coffee?

Columba
We don't have a daily milkman (Ernie?) round here any more. They can't compete with the supermarkets.
JJ

23/03/2013 at 13:45

Hello everyone - and welcome to Grendel. Don't worry about being 53... you are a mere babe in arms!!

I have read through your posts and you are all doing amazingly well. I am impressed by your progress, all of you, especially with the appalling weather we have had. Here in the east of England it is covered in snow and the wind is bitingly cold and gale force at times. But it should be better tomorrow. Hopefully.

Red - How is Tinker? Still recovering? Lucky you caught the infection early.

00 -  Sad about your friend and his children ofcourse. Is it that we are getting older and so coming across it more, or is suicide getting more common? I know of several families who are having to deal with the heartbreak of losing a family member in that way.

BI - Hope your hand is better soon. It's amazing how difficult it is to manage everything with one hand.  And it's a pain not being able to drive. All of a sudden there seem to be loads of places that one simply has to go to! ( A bit like when the electricity goes off and suddenly you realise just how much you want a cup of tea!!)

Well, I have seen a podiatrist who confirmed morton's neuroma, told me not to run, wiggled my foot and gave me arch supports. He said that only runners and triathletes ever expected him to work miracles!! It happened because of increased mileage, compression by my trainers because I have a very wide foot and arthritis.  Today I braved the elements and did an experimental couple of miles to see how things went. The arch supports feel surprisingly comfortable. It was so nice to be out again because I have not run for 3 weeks and I miss it so much. I may have to defer. I probably will have to. But maybe not....

Last day of term on Monday, then flying to Spain in the early hours of Tuesday for 3 weeks. I will test my fitness when I am out there and make a decision in the last week.

JJ - Enjoy your lunch. Fish and chips for me later!

23/03/2013 at 17:18

Thanks again for the welcome - for the first time since the 5th January I elected to have a day off - mainly because my son and I had to be up at the school today to go up to Essex University for a series of lectures as part of the childrens university - will go out tomorrow then run every other day for the next two weeks - Seems strange tapering for a 5 mile race - but feel that I need to reduce the mileage now - Will then target the Wix 5 in October concentrating on speed - -

Matsmum - I suffered from morton's neuroma many many years ago and managed to get rid of it by using pads under the balls of my feet - and a change of trainers - I used to swear by a book called the Runners Repair manual - recently rubbished by the guy who wrote Born to Run - but I found a lot of what he suggested worked. 

Good luck to everyone competing tomorrow - or just braving the elements -

23/03/2013 at 19:13

Carp lunch. Boeuf bourguignon which I reckon was horse in gravy.

Matsmum
I wonder if it would go away if you ran in shoes with a wider toe box?
JJ

23/03/2013 at 20:03

Hand is improving, I am now able to drive without using my thumb! No swimming of course because of the stitiches but I did do a 4 mile run today with Charly.

I too had Morton's many years ago - I dealt with it by taping cotton wool balls under the affected toes.

23/03/2013 at 22:40

Evening all,

Haven't read back as just in from a Good Old Days singalong at the village hall.  Great fun.

Just wanted to say Good Luck to Terry for tomorrow as I'll be out really early and will probably forget to log on here first!

Will catch up with everything tomorrow.  Night all.

24/03/2013 at 07:40

Red, sounds like you had a good time at your singalong. Hope not too much alcohol was  consumed. Thanks for your encouragement and I will be trying my hardest to achieve my target. Several glasses of wine will be enjoyed if I do it, so that is an "additional carrot."

Very cold here, but thankfully no snow. There is a bitterly cold wind with a chill factor of minus 5. I'm hoping I won't get frost bite

Will do a write up later of how it went.

24/03/2013 at 14:45

6 mile run with the dogs, averaged 9 and a half minute miles so quite pleased with that. On course for my target of getting back down to 8min miles by the time of our first triathlon of the season on 12th May. Cycled 2 hours on the turbo. John went swimming a lot earlier than normal as there was no footy replay to watch - he swam 3200m, then did 700m of aqua-jogging, so he says! As usual he's determined to log more exercise than me so is now on his bike on the turbo - competitive? Us? Whatever gives you that idea?  

24/03/2013 at 15:04

Excellent run IW! 

I had a tough old 12 miler and seemed to be running into the biting wind all the time.  Didn't warm up at all and was glad when it was over.  Time for a tapir 

(((Matsmum))) oh no, poor you.  I know how disappointed you must feel.  However, if you feel you must do VLM then I would suggest you consider walking rather than running at least part of it.  If you defer then you'll give yourself a chance to recover and build a strong base for next year.  Take care whatever you decide to do.  Tinker has recovered his appetite now thank goodness and other than a bit of diarrhea (sp?) he's doing well.

JJ, what's the difference between horse in gravy and cow in gravy?

Hope it went well for you today Terry and that you're celebrating now.

24/03/2013 at 16:35

BIW, good run there, you are already getting "up to speed."

Red, well done on your run into the biting wind. My race went very well in a bitterly cold easterly wind and I have already celebrated with a glass or three of red wine.

My time was 46.33 which was well within my target of 47 minutes, and equates to 35.49, and a WAVA of 76.4, my best for 12 years. I must be doing something right. There were 2,600 entrants, which in my opinion were far too many for the infrastructure. There were only 600 official parking places, which were completely full when we arrived an hour early at 9.00. Luckily, Geoff, who was driving, knew of an Industrial Estate, a reasonable walk from the Leisure Centre, so we were able to park there. T Shirts had to be collected before the start, which seemed ridiculous as the queues were horrendous. Far better to have collected them after the race. There was considerable congestion at the start, and despite starting fairly near the front, had to walk a while before crossing the start line. It took over a k to get past the runners who should have started further back, before I could get into my stride. My mile splits were :- 7.42 7.36 7.40 7.16 7.24 7.23 1.29, an average of 7.30. 

24/03/2013 at 16:53

TE - well done you, that WAVA is beyond my wildest dreams. Doesn't sound like a very well organised race, though. Seems an odd idea, giving out T shirts at the beginning; what about the DNFs?

Matsmum - commiserations re the Morton's neuroma. Elder daughter had a neuroma on the top of her foot, and had it removed surgically. Don't think it was Morton's, though.

Forced myself out into bitter cold (0 degrees, but with a windchill factor) with the intention of just going to the town lake, once round it and home. Pavements partly clear, but lumpy frozen snow in places. After I'd been going for a mile or so, I felt a bit more positive about the whole thing and added a couple of extra bits, making it 4.33 miles altogether.

Edited: 24/03/2013 at 16:54
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.