'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,861 to 162,880 of 166,857 messages
24/03/2013 at 17:13

Excellent result Terry!  Several 1/2's give out T's beforehand which I find very annoying.

Columba,  well done for sticking with it.

24/03/2013 at 17:30

Columba and Red, thanks! Well done Columba running through the snow.

I don't' know how many DNF's there were, but there were 2080 finishers. I was equal 4th in the M65-70 category on chip time, and came 725th overall. My chip time was a second quicker than my Garmin, and was 46.32. I think I may have been the fastest Hardley runner, age related, as our first finisher, a senior man ran 36.05, compared with my 35.49. My next race is the Alton 10 mile which is classed as undulating/hilly on 5th May, which gives me time to do more quality training and mileage, and attempt to go sub 78 minutes.

24/03/2013 at 18:42

IW
Good run there. Some form is coming back very quickly.

TE
Very good result in all respects. Decent time. Very good age grading. Excellent finishing position in the age group and overall too.

Redhead
The horse is bigger and doesn't have horns - I think!

Matsmum
If you are injured you can defer your VLM place to next year

Columba
Another 4 miles always helps.
JJ

24/03/2013 at 18:44

TE
A 77 minute 10 miler would equal my 65-69 age group best. Go for it.
JJ

24/03/2013 at 18:51

JJ, thanks, and a tough target to aim for. It is classified undulating/hilly, so will take a lot more effort than on a flat course.

25/03/2013 at 08:38

TE - I'm really impressed by those stats!

Red - I always, always (except in the most inviting weather) feel reluctant to go out for a run; and I nearly always feel much better about it once I've done a mile or a mile and a half.

25/03/2013 at 09:01

Columba, thanks! I'm really pleased that my hard, dedicated training has paid off. There is no doubt that you get out of training, what you put into it. I know it is out of fashion now, but I still believe in "no pain no gain."

Off for a recovery run later this morning.

25/03/2013 at 09:38

Well done TE! A lady from our club, who has always been slower than me, managed 51:30 yesterday! I'm going to quiz her about her training. She is a fair bit younger than me, and has managed to lose a lot of weight, but has obviously trained well too. I think it was a PB by about 7 minutes, or maybe more.

Glad that the hand is improving IW.

Welcome Grendel.

Tough decision to make Matsmum. The friend above, who has so improved her 10k time, was meant to run VLM last year and had to defer due to injury - think she is likely to get a massive PB this year, on her current performance, so if you do decide that is what you should do, it may in the end work out well, although frustrating now.

I'm continuing with my 'run every day' challenge, and ran to meet my long-legged and speedy daughter in the next village yesterday. She & her family were coming for a pre-birthday family lunch for OH, who will be 60 on Wednesday. Running with her resulted in a negative split for me. Still really cold here, but no more snow.

25/03/2013 at 12:20

Well done TE- a great run in challenging conditions.

I did my longest run of the VLM campaign- 22 miles in the gales. It wasn't pretty or fast but job done

25/03/2013 at 16:15

Diana, thanks, and well done to your club mate and her massive PB. Good luck with your running every day

00 50, thanks, the conditions really were challenging, and I think it was the coldest race I have ever participated in. Well done to you running 22 miles in gale force winds.

Ran a 6 mile recovery run this morning, and it was as cold, if not colder than yesterday. If only that easterly wind would drop, it would be a tropical 3 degrees.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
25/03/2013 at 17:50

Super result, TE! Well done

25/03/2013 at 18:25

Thanks BIW.

25/03/2013 at 19:28

Went for a 32 minute run today and got very sweaty in spite of the severe wind chill. No idea how far.

OO 50
Do you mind not being pretty when you run?  

Diana
If someone is doing something that is clearly working it's well worth asking them what their training is like. I got a very large percentage of my knowledge that way.
JJ

25/03/2013 at 20:40

Evening all,

No running today as it's a rest day.  Got some new ASICs in the post this morning but they've changed so dramatically from the ones I like that they're going to be sent straight back tomorrow!

We were very pleased to see the oil tanker this morning as we ran out over a week ago!  We'd ordered more when the tank was getting low but we had to wait 2.5 weeks for our delivery because they had a backlog of orders 'cos of the snow.  We've been looking like arctic explorers with layer upon layer of clothing with hot water bottles never far away.  This afternoon I had to have my woolly hat surgically removed 'cos I haven't taken it off at all and now I've peeled off a few layers I look so much slimmer! 

00, well done for doing 22 miles in horrid conditions.

Intervals on the treddy for me tomorrow morning.

25/03/2013 at 21:08

Hi Red
Well oiled again?
JJ

25/03/2013 at 23:25

Redhead, I road tested my new Asics DS racers yesterday which I plan to wear for the VLM. They feel different from the last pair but no major blisters or issues- so I guess they passed the test.

26/03/2013 at 08:51

Red, what model are the Asics that you are sending back? Mine are Asics 1000, which have replaced the 1170's. They are quite different from the 1170's in that they are lighter, and appear to have less cushioning. I didn't like them at first, but have now got used to them. My improvements in race times justifies me persevering with them. 

Went to a club interactive session with a physio. last night, which was quite educational. I seem to be breaking all the rules at my age by running on consecutive days and doing LSD runs. He believes in quality speed work and less mileage. I believe that we mature runners with many years of experience, know our bodies, when to take it easy, and have additional rest days. Perhaps I have just been lucky over the years.

A hill session with the club this evening.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/03/2013 at 09:08

Yesterday was "rest day" for me too, I think quite a lot of training plans use Monday as rest day because most of us tend to do more intense training on the weekends. Tonight is swim training but of course I can't swim due to the stitches in my hand (which don't come out until next Tuesday). So I'm thinking of taking the flotation belt and doing some aquajogging in the pool, with a rubber glove on my right hand to keep it dry. Well, if Chrissie Wellington can swim with a cast on her arm, reckon I can manage a bit of treading up and down the pool with all the other injured or old biddies?

26/03/2013 at 09:23

When I get a chance I'll have top have a bit of a read back to get to know you guys more, who you are what you are doing and how your training is progressing and perhaps more importantly what training you are doing - so if ignore performances/injuries I apologise.

I have had two rest days now ahead of the Braintree 5 on Sunday week  and am intending to run every other day now until then - I do like the idea of more quality and less mileage, because, as in my younger days I was very much mileage based, what I achieved on 70/80 miles a week my contemporaries achieved (and more) on less mileage - I guess over training was a big thing for me and from the state of my legs at present - could be again.  My main target for the year is the Wix 5 in October so once Braintree is out of the way I will go back to concentrating on speed - plenty of tempo and intervals and Kenyans Hills - with one longer run a week of no more than 10. (time is an issue as I have promised my running will not impact on family life - all my runs are conducted at 5:30 am) 

I rested Saturday when the snow hit us hard, not because I had it planned but because I was off to the Children's University with my son. I ran a very slow 8 on Sunday and then 3 yesterday. Off today and then 6 tomorrow with a fgew strides thrown in. Sorry to take up so much space  as a newbie on the thread if not on the forum - hopefully I can contribute something in a positive way.

26/03/2013 at 10:56

Morning all,

It's warmer today thank goodness.  Off to do my intervals soon but haven't decided whether to do a pyramid session or 800m.  Typing that has made my mind up 'cos I did 800s last week so it's a pyramid day 

Terry, they were my trusty Gel Nimbus but they bore no resemblance whatsover to previous models - the toe box is cramped and they've reduced the width at the front so much they are almost straight rather like models for overpronators.  I didn't even try a run in them as I know such a snug fit wouldn't suit me for marathoning.  

Now I've got to research a new brand.  I need neutral shoe, midfoot strike with plenty of cushioning (although I don't mind a bit less cushioning really).  Any ideas anyone?

Grendel are you talking about 5 miles or 5k?  I do my runs early morning too so it keeps the rest of the day free and makes for a happy hubby.  Please don't worry about talking too much - we old biddies like to waffle and I can ramble on for ages 

IW, LOL at the image of you in the swimming pool with your rubber glove on 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.