'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,921 to 162,940 of 166,630 messages
29/03/2013 at 22:25

Redhead
Excellent rescue service.
Tomorrow may find you falling down a bank and being rescued by a sheep.
JJ

30/03/2013 at 07:54

Thanks for the reminder on clocks- I forgot about that.

30/03/2013 at 08:00

Another very cold morning, with a max. forecast of 6 degrees. Will be setting off soon for our 18 miler. Unfortunately, it will be on road, as the forest is still not suitable for long runs.

30/03/2013 at 09:48

Morning all,

It's been snowing on and off since I went out at 6am but nothing has stuck.  Stupid weather for Easter.  I did 4.5 miles with 1.5 miles of Kenyan hills in the middle.  They hurt!

JJ, LOL.  There was no falling down today thank goodness 

TE, take care on the roads as there will be loads of tourists about.  That's another reason for me getting out early in the mornings, especially in the tourist season.

Have a lovely day everyone.

Edited: 30/03/2013 at 09:49
30/03/2013 at 15:34

TE - it may be possible to combine strong maternal instincts with minimal braininess.

Still very cold here but no new snow. Ran just under 5 miles. 

Off to London tomorrow. Not sure what the IT arrangements are in son's flat, so may or may not be posting.

30/03/2013 at 17:08

It was even colder than I had expected this morning and I regretted just wearing a base layer and Helly Hanson top, together with shorts, gloves and hat. I felt really cold the whole run and wished I had worn a third top and tracksters. I did, however, run further than planned and ran 19 miles.

Columba, I agree.

Red, if the Kenyan Hills hurt, then you were doing them correctly! I think it was too cold for tourists to be around, as we didn't really see any. We kept off the main roads, and there wasn't much traffic on the minor roads.

There were 3 or 4 fires in the roofs of thatched cottages in the New Forest yesterday, one of which was just down the road from me. I was driving into the village and the road was closed and I saw the smoke billowing into the sky. It is not known yet whether it was arson or not, but does seem a bit too much of a coincidence.

30/03/2013 at 18:49

4.7 miles done with 4 miles of it off road. The last mile was hard work. It was another run using HR to control pace. Kept to a maximum of 125 bpm and took rests by slowing right down until HR was close to 100.
That's 4 runs this week.

TE
One fire is bad luck, two fires is coincidence. Three or more is not down to chance.

Columba
Young folks without IT facilities are a rarity. Have a great time.
JJ

30/03/2013 at 21:16

JJ, you seem to be making good progress and not forcing the issue. The fires were mentioned on the Southern News, but no indication of the causes. The owners of one of the cottages were on holiday abroad.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that my weeks mileage, Sunday to Saturday is 55. It is many years since I have exceeded 50 miles, so I am feeling very pleased.

Columba, enjoy your visit to your son in London.

31/03/2013 at 13:42

Afternoon all,

Brrrrrr again!  Cold and dreary here with silly bits of snow every so often.  9 miles run first thing.  Taper, taper, taper.

TE, excellent mileage!  I agree that the fires sound suspicious.  Round our neck of the woods it's oil thefts at the moment - one poor person had £1200 of oil stolen last week whilst they were away on holiday.  Btw, I'm never sure what pace to do my Kenyan Hills at so I usually use marathon pace as some of the inclines are decidedly challenging.

JJ, well done.  Small steps.

Columba, you are quite right about the maternal instinct.  A farmer told me that the sheep always come to them for help at lambing time then stay away from them at other times.  Hope you have a nice time in London.

31/03/2013 at 14:39

Red, I don't think that there is any particular pace that Kenyan Hill Sessions should be run at, but my understanding is that they should be at a constant pace. They shouldn't be sprinted up and jogged down. A classic session is to run 10k up and down the same hill, attempting to keep the same pace, without any recoveries.

A rest day today, but I am itching to get out again tomorrow. I am feeling amazingly ache and pain free, and can only put it down to a new positivity and belief in myself that I can still be competitive.

Looking forward to watching the Boat Race which is back on the BBC again at 3.15.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
31/03/2013 at 19:31

Hope everyone has had a nice Easter so far. We were down in Bavaria for the last 4 days, it snowed again this morning! But it didn't last long. Continued to work on our triathlon training - John did the run with Nemo and I took Charly. It was a one hour run, with 10 min warm-up, then 6 x (3mn easy/2mn moderate/1 mn hard) and a slow cool-down. Nice workout, I always enjoy interval work.

31/03/2013 at 20:10

Rest day

Redhead
I've no intentions of overdoing things. Just running as and when I feel like it.

IW
Nice run. You're getting back into things pdq.

TE
Very wise to keep the rest day sacrosanct. You don't get less fit by missing one day, in fact it's when you recover that you get stronger.
JJ

31/03/2013 at 20:30

Trying to, JJ. Tomorrow should be rest day but since we drove back today and didn't get our bike workout done we'll do it tomorrow instead. 80 mns including some hills is what's on the schedule.

31/03/2013 at 21:34

JJ, I have 2 rest days per week. It is very tempting to run on rest days, especially if the weather is good, but I know that they are necessary for recovery and repair of micro tears.

31/03/2013 at 21:51

Red, interesting theory on the vegan diet. Let us know if anything happens when you re-introduce dairy products. Well done on the lamb rescue.

OO 50, I am also in the New Forest, and like TE, feel very privileged to run here regularly. The funeral was obviously a very tough day.

TE, well done on the 19 miles. Helen should be full of confidence for her marathon now.

Talking of rest days, I haven't had any recently! I got to the end of my 'run every day in March' challenge today, and totalled 130 miles for the month. This is the most I've done in a month since I started running. Slightly tough this morning after not a lot of sleep and too much alcohol, as it was OH's 60th birthday party last night. At least I can go to bed an hour early with the clock change!

Edited: 31/03/2013 at 21:52
01/04/2013 at 06:31

I've done over 200 in the last month Diane with marathon training- a few more days then I'll start to ease back. Yesterday was 18 miles including a 10k race in the middle.

The odd rest day will serve you well.

01/04/2013 at 09:45

Diana, well done on your run every day during March! I'm sure Helen will do well in the VLM, and as this will be her first, and only marathon, she sais; will not have a target time. I have run all her long runs with her, including the Bramley 20 miler, which is really what decided me to change track and enter marathons myself. If she hadn't got an entry to the VLM, hers an my training would have been very different. As Helen's mileage tapers, mine will increase so I will be doing most of my long runs alone. This won't necessarily be a bad thing, as I could find myself in this position on the South Downs, where I would need self motivation to keep going when the going got tough.

Off for a forest run later. Beware of April Fools Jokes this morning. I will try to spot them in the papers and on the radio.

01/04/2013 at 10:11

Diana, when I lived in England my Dad and I competed in quite a few orienteering competitions in the New Forest, I agree, it's a wonderful place to run. Cycling done, off out now to run for 50 mins with the dogs.

01/04/2013 at 10:52

Morning all,

No running today and it's a good job as today I feel as if I'm breathing through treacle.  More on that later.

Diana, well done on your running every day.  It's only 3 weeks until my 111 days commence with the London marathon (OMG!!!!).  Congratulations to Gerry 

This is not and April Fool's prank:

Right back to the breathing.  So for the past 3 days I have reintroduced milk, eggs and butter into my meals in the form of 2 x hot cross buns (butter and milk in the mix but eaten without butter spread on them), a small bag of milk chocolate Easter eggs, a pizza (mozzarella and cheddar in the topping) and a veggie risotto (a small amount of parmesan).  I was fine on Saturday morning, felt a bit chesty yesterday and this morning, well I haven't felt this bad for 6 weeks or so.  Oh bother, or words to that effect!

However, the tree pollen is becoming evident, Goats Willow is out already, and there are primroses, celandines and wood anemones flowering too so they can't be discounted as a factor.

So, as I feel like poo and I don't like feeling like poo I'm going to eliminate dairy and eggs again and see if that helps over the next few days.  This should be conclusive 'cos if there is no difference to how I feel then I can blame the pollen.  QED 

00, excellent mileage.  I'm a bit behind you as I only did 175.  What a lightweight I am!

IW, your training seems to be going very well.  Any problems with the hip?

01/04/2013 at 11:16

It will be a shame if cheese/dairy is the cause, Red, but I suppose at least you'd be rewarded for the scarifice of giving it up.

Stonking mileage OO.

I agree that long solitary runs can be good mental preparation for the marathon TE, as they do teach yuou to rely on your owen internal mental resources.

The sun seems to hasve disappeared again 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.