'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,941 to 162,960 of 167,015 messages
01/04/2013 at 16:54

This thread has been flooded with spam again. I had to scroll through 3 pages to get to the end of it. If this was a trolls idea of an April Fools joke, then it was in pathetic bad taste.

Red, sorry you are having problems again. Just when it seemed like you were ok, they came back again.

I ran 8 miles in the forest this morning and it was enjoyable on the outward leg, but on the return, it was into the teeth of the biting easterly wind. I was colder than I can ever remember, and my hands were frozen, even through thermal gloves. Strangely though, my legs didn't feel cold, although I was wearing shorts. I believe that the body uses as much energy trying to keep warm, as it does in very hot weather trying to keep cool.

01/04/2013 at 18:59

Thankfully the spam posts have now been removed.

01/04/2013 at 20:28

Grey, cold morning but a lovely sunny afternoon so I was tempted by a potter round the lanes. Did 3.7 hilly miles at a bit over 10 minute miling. Hope no-one noticed a couple of walks on some steep bits.

All these high monthly mileages by you guys are making me feel decidedly inadequate.
JJ 

01/04/2013 at 20:57

Lovely day here too, perfect for paining outside as Mrs OO pointed out.

Managed to sneak a 6 miler though. Don't you love holidays....

01/04/2013 at 21:56

Not if they involve painting outside.

01/04/2013 at 22:56

must have been a Freudian slip- glad it's done though.

02/04/2013 at 08:43

Morning all,

What a glorious morning it is too!  The sun's out, the ground is drying out at last and the 2 horses are grazing happily in the orchard.  I have got the Spring cleaning bug again so am about to go into whirlwind-superwife mode - well, after I've done my intervals of course.

00, holidays are for doing all the things that need doing at home that you haven't got time for because of work   My husband got out of his Easter chores by claiming he was on a roll with his symphony - blimming art-farty composer's excuse!

JJ, you will never be described as inadequate in my presence - you've been my best Coach for many years now.

TE, that wind yesterday was vile.  My legs don't often feel cold either.  How strange.

02/04/2013 at 09:31

Morning,

It's bright and sunny here too, but I haven't been out yet to test the temperature. We have a long circuits session with the club this evening, and it should still be light for the first one or two. We are intending to get back into the forest soon, providing that we don't have lots more heavy rain. I found in yesterdays run that some parts were rock hard, and others still boggy. Deep drainage ditches have been dug each side of the road, which seems to be helping the fields to dry out.

02/04/2013 at 10:45

I've spotted those ditches too, TE - hopefully they will help. We had our first club training session of the season on the forest last night, and I just got home in daylight after 5.4 miles or so, includding a pyramid session round the cricket pitch by Bolton's Bench! Bitterly cold wind though.

02/04/2013 at 11:29

Diana, that's good that your club has started sessions in the forest already. Ours start at 6.30, so we couldn't, at present, complete a session in the light.

02/04/2013 at 12:26

It's amazing just how quickly our heavy clay can go from claggy bog to concrete!

Intervals were OK for 3 miles then a massive coughing fit was my cue to pack in.  Better than yesterday anyway.  Good job I'm tapering.

02/04/2013 at 16:35

We start at 7, TE, so obviously don't train as long as Hardley, or eat more carrots!

02/04/2013 at 20:15

Another freezing day. Bright sunshne but not a trace of heat. No running.

Redhead
"mwah"!
Don't worry. I don't do inadequacy for long 

JJ

02/04/2013 at 21:19

It will be nice to run on dry gound again.

Redhead, Mrs OO has me working in her shop when I'm on holiday

03/04/2013 at 09:18

Morning all,

00, LOL, she is a wise woman 

Right, my gunk quotient seems to have gone down a bit so I'm going out for 6 miles @ MP later whilst delivering leaflets - so I expect it will be more like a MP with fartleks run.

The wind is still blowing from the East and it's very cold.  What are the odds for it to turn into a mini heatwave just in time for Brighton marathon next week?

03/04/2013 at 09:35

Morning,

It was very cold last night for our club session. We had scheduled 3 x 0.94 mile loops, and after them our Coach asked if anyone wanted to do a fourth. I was the only one from my group to volunteer at first, but then another runner said he would if I ran with him until the last 200 metres or so, when we could sprint for the line. We did this and that circuit was slightly slower. My times were 6.41 6.46 6.48 7.01.

I will wear warmer gear this morning when I go for my run.

Red, I hope it isn't too hot for Brighton next week for you, but I don't think it is forecasted for much change. I find I race better when it is raining and coldish, but not too cold.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
03/04/2013 at 11:00

Got the stitches out of my hand yesterday, so back to swim training last night - 2400m swum.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Redhead that it doesn't suddenly get hot for the race. It did when I ran it.

03/04/2013 at 16:40

BIW, hopefully you will now be able to go "full steam ahead."

The wind seemed even colder this morning than yesterday, so I was glad that I was wearing a track suit top over my two tops, and also tracksters. I ran 8 miles in the forest and was 4 minutes quicker than on Monday.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
03/04/2013 at 16:57

Bike session tonight, 10min warmup, then 40 mins of (20 secs sprint/40 secs moderate), 10mn easy cooldown. Same as last Wednesday. And it's on next week's plan too, then it switches to another torture method. Saturday is a straight 60km ride.

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 16:59
03/04/2013 at 18:29

Bitterly cold today. I feel old.
Ran for the sixth time in ten days and took the same hilly 3.7 mile route as 48 hours ago. In spite of the cold it was 3 minutes faster than the previous effort.  First run that's felt like a proper training run.

IW
Are you fully repaired now?
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.