'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,961 to 162,980 of 166,420 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
03/04/2013 at 11:00

Got the stitches out of my hand yesterday, so back to swim training last night - 2400m swum.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Redhead that it doesn't suddenly get hot for the race. It did when I ran it.

03/04/2013 at 16:40

BIW, hopefully you will now be able to go "full steam ahead."

The wind seemed even colder this morning than yesterday, so I was glad that I was wearing a track suit top over my two tops, and also tracksters. I ran 8 miles in the forest and was 4 minutes quicker than on Monday.

03/04/2013 at 16:57

Bike session tonight, 10min warmup, then 40 mins of (20 secs sprint/40 secs moderate), 10mn easy cooldown. Same as last Wednesday. And it's on next week's plan too, then it switches to another torture method. Saturday is a straight 60km ride.

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 16:59
03/04/2013 at 18:29

Bitterly cold today. I feel old.
Ran for the sixth time in ten days and took the same hilly 3.7 mile route as 48 hours ago. In spite of the cold it was 3 minutes faster than the previous effort.  First run that's felt like a proper training run.

IW
Are you fully repaired now?
JJ

03/04/2013 at 20:08

Yay, well done IW and JJ.  Both on the mend 

When I watched the local weather forecast the nice lady said it was snowing in TWells so I thought, well JJ will keep it away from us then.  Pah, it was like a blizzard when I went out to put the horses to bed 10 minutes later!  This is silly weather.

TE, it was much colder here too and I was reluctant to go outside unless I had to, which is unusual for me.

03/04/2013 at 20:53

JJ - yes, I'm very determined to be"fully repaired"! Not prepared to be anything but in complete working order.

03/04/2013 at 22:15

Redhead
No more than a few tiny flakes here. Thanks for taking it away.
JJ

04/04/2013 at 09:17

Bitterly cold here too for training last night. We did mile reps, and I was pleased with them all being under eight  and a half minutes, with the middle one at 8:12. Just need to train enough to string a series of those together!

Off to Cambridge later for some exploring and a wedding.

Glad you're back to your swimming IW.

04/04/2013 at 09:25

Morning all,

Dear weather, I am now really fed up of your silly antics.  What's the point of just a few flakes of snow?  Either do it properly or stop it please!  Thank you very much, Redhead.

Diana, wow, mile reps under 8.5 is very impressive.  You're way ahead of me as I'm only doing .5 mile reps!  Enjoy your wedding and exploring.  Cambridge is a lovely city.

I shall be out for a run as soon as the man up on the scaffolding has finished bashing the top of the chimney 

Edited: 04/04/2013 at 09:40
04/04/2013 at 09:40

Diana, a very good session there. Your race times will certainly improve.

Red, are you having a new chimney fitted?

Another very cold, dull morning and I am fed up with the biting easterly wind. We have a hilly circuit session with the club this evening.

I was wondering whether there would be a bigger than usual "did not start" in this years VLM due to many runners not doing enough training because of the appalling winter.

04/04/2013 at 09:43

No, the top few courses need replacing as they are worn - they get a battering from the wind on 2 sides but the other 2 sides are fine!

You could be right about DNS's but perhaps there will be more DNFs too?

04/04/2013 at 16:42

Red, good point about DNFs.

It's got colder and colder today and started snowing about a half hour ago. It seems to be getting heavier now, and the wind is blowing it. Hope it won't put too many club members off from turning up later.

04/04/2013 at 19:41

Bitterly cold NE wind again and frequent snow showers. I refuse to run in such conditions.

TE
I think you're right about folks opting out of VLM. I bet the deferred place requests is huge!

Personally, if I had a commitment to run VLM or some thing of importance it would take a bit more than inclement weather to stop me training properly.

Diana
Nice mile reps. If you want to string them together you need tempo runs as well as the shorter stuff. It's tempo runs that help raise lactate threshold so that you run faster for longer.

Redhead
Hope it's not Father Christmas up the chimney.
JJ

05/04/2013 at 09:15

Good session with club last night, despite the cold. I ran with the fast group and therefore did an extra circuit. We ran 5 x 0.72 miles hilly circuits, with 90 second jog recoveries between each. My times were 5.09 5.16 5.22 5.24 5.23. Total mileage was 8.5.

Another cold windy morning, and off for a forest run later.

05/04/2013 at 12:14

Cold, wet and windy here. I may run later if it stops precipitating.
JJ

05/04/2013 at 14:40

Afternoon peeps,

I'm glad it's a rest day today as the wind is vile and it's been snowing on and off all day so far!  I had my final sports massage ahead of Brighton this morning and am feeling great - of course, the fact that I'm feeling in great shape makes me even more nervous that it will all go t!ts up again.  NO it won't, it will go WELL (it will, won't it?) 

TE, great times.  Hope you haven't been blown away.

JJ, FC is too fat to get down our chimney as he'd get stuck in the flue for the woodburner.

05/04/2013 at 16:54

Red, believe me, it will go WELL.  You WILL get that elusive PB, or if not in the VLM. I have been looking at the Ryde Harriers Web this afternoon and the IoW marathon has a new scenic route this year on the west side of the Island, starting at Cowes, instead of Ryde as in previous years. It is on the 9th October, which is the week before our club's Solent Half Marathon. I am very tempted to enter, as I DNF when I last ran it in 1997, when it was held on 20th May. I will, however, wait until after the SDM in case I blow up on that one. I have already entered the Portsmouth Coastal Marathon on 22nd December.

I decided not to run in the forest this morning, as it was so cold, so ran 7.25 miles on a hilly road route. I was still cold despite wearing two tops plus track suit, tracksters, woolly hat and thermal gloves. My weeks mileage is 58.5, Saturday to today, and tomorrow will be a rest day. I'm hoping to run 20 miles on Sunday and do another high mileage week, and then reduce the following week. Only 9 weeks now to the SDM but am well on schedule.

05/04/2013 at 17:25

Ran 4.5 miles this afternoon on a hilly circuit. it included two 13 minute miles because of long up hill stretches with short, sharp drops down the other side. Better to have a short sharp uphill then a nice long gradual downhill.

Redhead
Don't think in terms of a PB. Think of starting at a PB pace and holding it to 6 miles. Your next target is then to get to 13.1 miles at the same pace then just keep going for as long as you can. It's less in timidating if you break it down into manageable chunks. I did my PB by running 4 x 6 miles with re-fuelling at the end of each.

We can't run the risk of having FC stuck up your flue. I don't want to miss my Christmas present.

TE
Great mileage and good quality too.
I ran in the same layers as you except no hat. Barely broke sweat.
JJ

05/04/2013 at 17:25

Where's matsmum?

05/04/2013 at 19:12

JJ, I think matsmum was going abroad again. She may not have internet access. I hope she has been able to maintain her training for the VLM. Thanks for the encouragement, it does help motivation, especially when it is so cold that all one wants to do is stay indoors in the warm.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.