'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

162,981 to 163,000 of 167,003 messages
06/04/2013 at 23:49

Got back from London today. Managed two runs. 

1. an 8-miler from my son's flat in Camberwell-ish, where I was staying, to Vauxhall Bridge, across the river, along to Waterloo bridge, cross the river again and back on the other side to Vauxhall Bridge and then back to son's flat. I really quite enjoyed it, in spite of being held up at traffic lights and having to thread my way through queues and queues of people along South Bank, as they waited for entry to various tourist destinations, and in spite of the eye-watering, nose-streaming cold wind.

2. A much shorter run in Burgess Park, only a short distance from son's flat. More eye-watering and nose-streaming.

Nice to run on flattish ground for a change. Can keep a steadier pace going.

Also went to three exhibitions, had a really excellent Malaysian meal with all but one of my children (the one not there had come with me to one of the exhibitions, however, so I managed to see them all) and spent several hours with Elder Daughter and Little Grand-daughter, so it was a really good visit.  Little Alice is acquiring a few single words. One of them is "tractor", - not too many of those to be seen in London streets.

One of the exhibitions was at the Dulwich Picture Gallery, from where I planned to go into central London by overground. That was the Day of the Snow; and it turned out that particular overground line was closed because of an accident further along. So had to get a bus, and hope that it would take me somewhere I recognised (am not very famililar with S. London).  Fortunately, it did; switched to the Underground at Clapham Common.

Ooh - I still have the tiny print, but have just noticed that "path p" has become "Path: divp"

Red - it will be annoying if you have to give up all dairy foods permanently, but perhaps worth it if your breathing comes back to normal and stays there.

Having given up tea and coffee for Lent, I found that I was hearing rather less tinnitus than usual, - 8 tinnitus-free days in the 6 weeks of Lent rather than the 1 or 2 which I would normally expect. Having resumed caffeine-rich drinks, I thought the tinnitus would resume normal service, but so far it hasn't. Maybe it was just a case of breaking a cycle. 

JJ - in view of the lack of Spring, was the Spring Flower Show rather thinner than usual? 

07/04/2013 at 07:47

Columba, sounds like you had a great time in London.

It's minus 3 here in the forest and the grass and car windscreens are frosty. Will be off for a long Sunday run shortly with some club mates. It's forecast 10 degrees later, so difficult to know what gear to wear. Don't want too many layers or I'll overheat.

I've still got path p

Edited: 07/04/2013 at 07:48
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
07/04/2013 at 10:16

Hi Columba - weird, mine still shows Path, and yes the print's still tiny.

07/04/2013 at 15:44

Yay, the sun's shining! But still a cold wind - been out on the road on my tri bike for the first time this year, after so much indoor cycling on the turbo I'd forgotten how much I love riding the roads on my competition bike. Was scheduled for 60-80 mins today, did 90 mins, then another 30mins on the turbo for cool-down.

Hope the sun is shining on all of you too - happy running!

07/04/2013 at 15:53

A very satisfying LSD run this morning with Chris and Helen. It was very cold when I set out, and met up with them at Chris's house. We ran a hilly road route and Chris ran 10 miles, Helen 16 and me 20.25. I had intended just running 20 miles, but didn't look at my Garmin until I reached home, and realised I had run 20.04 miles. I, therefore, decided to carry on and bring the total up to 20.25. I ran the last 8 miles alone, which was tough, but I got into "auto pilot mode" and dug in and increased my pace. Helen was running very strongly and although she hasn't set herself a target, I believe she will run the VLM in 4.20.

07/04/2013 at 15:59

BIW our posts crossed. Great that you are back into tri mode. I watched the opening meeting of the ITU world series from Aukland New Zealand this afternoon. The Brownlee Brothers didn't partake, as they were warm weather training elsewhere.

07/04/2013 at 18:10

Afternoon all,

TE, thank you for your confidence!  I definitely won't get a pb at VLM but I might beat my GWR   Nice running from you over the weekend.  I hope Helen's going to taper properly now or all that quality training will have been wasted.

Columba, sounds as if you had a lovely Easter break and even managed to fit in some runs.

JJ, well done on your prizes.  I noticed that a local village had cancelled their Spring show because of adverse weather conditions.  Matsmum said she was going to be abroad until just before VLM and she hadn't decided whether to go ahead or to defer 'cos of her injury.

00, I shall expect some impressive times from you then!  Btw, will you be at the green start for VLM?

I just ran 5.5 miles very gently this morning and then spent 4 hours pressure spraying the patio.  You could eat your food off it now - but I wouldn't recommend doing that tomorrow as the ducks, badgers, foxes et all will have rummaged around on there.

A beautiful barn owl has just flown up through our orchard and it isn't even dusky yet.  What a lovely sight 

07/04/2013 at 19:44

Oh I love owls, unfortunately we don't get to see them very often.

07/04/2013 at 20:47

Report time - Braintree 5 done 40:14 a bit disappointed but not an easy course so probably worth a bit faster on a flatter course - Got into a race with a guy I knew from the old days, he didn't know we racing - he beat me by over 12 minutes over 5 miles on my return to running 2 years ago so to beat him on the run in was quite pleasing - need to get my hamstring sorted now - and seeing my old training buddy still running 29 minutes (and only 4th over 50 shows, 1- it can be done, 2- how far I need to go still and 3 - that it is possible) I also know what I need to do - thanks to you guys more rest, more quality - plus to shift about a stone in weight.

08/04/2013 at 06:08

Waves to all.....

Where's that redbonce!?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-22059339

Hope all are fine and dandy?

De Wabbit

08/04/2013 at 07:31

Columba- I always enjoy running in London. I was born there but don't get back often.

Well done Grendel sounds likea tough course.

My 10k went OK, just under 40 minutes also. The brakes are on now for the London Marathon in 2 weeks.

08/04/2013 at 09:39

Grendel, a good time there and it seems like your fitness is coming back. Consistent training will shift that extra stone, which in turn will enable you to run faster.

00 50 well done going sub 40 for your 10k. Enjoy the reduced mileage during your tapering, but don't neglect the speed work.

Red, hope you do beat your PB in the GWR. Helen will taper from now on, and should be in the best possible shape on the day.

Wabbity, Hello, I don't think I remember you on this thread before.

Bright and sunny this morning, and am having a rest day after yesterdays long run. 

08/04/2013 at 12:35

Morning all,

I is here Wabbit!  Been a bit tied up with interviews this morning as you can imagine 

Sorry, got to dash but will catch up later with everyone's news.

08/04/2013 at 15:25

Where the hell have you been Wabbit, all this time? Did you get stuck down a rabbit hole?

08/04/2013 at 19:51

Lunch in London yesterday with elder son and his other half who are expecting their first child in October. That will be our fifth grandchild but never mind, it's only money. Lunch was here http://www.trinityrestaurant.co.uk/index.php/about-us  If anyone's interested it was the Sunday lunch menu only.

MrsJJ is suddenly  laid low with a bug so Nurse JJ didn't get out for a run yet again.

Grendel
That's 8 minute miling which isn't exactly slow so no worries.

OO 50
Excellent time for your 10k. You will recover easily in two weeks.
JJ

Edited: 08/04/2013 at 19:56
08/04/2013 at 19:59

Columba
I sent out a Chairman's letter asking for everyone to enter at least one show item because evrything was loate or dead after the bad winter. Folks responded well. We had about two thirds of the normal number of entries and quality wasn't exciting but it was worth the effort.

Redhead
We had several emails about cancelled shows so your village isn't unique.
JJ

08/04/2013 at 21:14

Gweetings, Wabbit; - long time no see. You well?

BIW - always nice to rediscover a pleasure you'd forgotten about.

TE - where d'you get that thumbs-up pic? Doesn't seem to be with the Smileys.

JJ - hope Mrs. JJ gets rid of that bug pdq, and without passing it on. Congratulations on the forthcoming fifth grandchild. The JJ genes are certainly going to have a presence in the next generation.

Red - you sound to be well in control, - of VLM and of the patio!

Been swimming.

09/04/2013 at 07:25

Morning all,

OK, where's the sun gone?  Now it's pouring with rain and really dreary!  Never mind, it's sunny i my heart 

Right, where did that wabbit go?  Did you really just pop in here to post that link and then disappear?  Naughty girl! Will I see you at VLM?  Better head off to FB and hunt you down xxx

Grendel, 8 min miling is definitely not slow but shows you're making progress and it sounded as if it was a tough course.  well done.

00, speedy boy indeed!  Stonking time for your 10k.  Glad to hear you're putting the brakes on for VLM.

JJ, excellent news re latest addition to the dynasty.  There must be something in the air as I seem to be knitting lots of baby things for lots of new grandchildren at the moment.  Our village garden society always struggles with shows because most of the members just come for a bit of a social and cuppa - the last autumn show there were plenty of entries but they were generated from just 9 people from a membership of about 90!  Hope Mrs JJ recovers quickly.

09/04/2013 at 09:39

Columba, thumbs up is colon lower case y colon  heart is colon lower case l colon  thumbs down is colon lower case n colon  broken heart is colon lower case u colon  light bulb is colon lower case i colon         

09/04/2013 at 09:47

A miserable rainy morning and there is a heart in my post above for sunshine for Red.

We have a speed session this evening with the club comprising 45 seconds reps.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.