'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,001 to 163,020 of 167,298 messages
09/04/2013 at 21:22

So:

09/04/2013 at 21:26

Ha!

I like that. I shall make a note of them. Is it general, or only on the RW website?

Running club this evening. Back to cross-country now the evenings are lighter. 5.49 miles. No rain here; in fact, everything seems very dry; hardly any mud on the X-C, except dried-up mud.

09/04/2013 at 21:55

Columba, I don't think it worked on "Fetch" when I tried it some years ago, but worth a try again. It works on Paula's web, but almost nobody posts on there nowadays.

Speed session on road this evening comprising 4 sets of 4 x 45secs hard, with steady runs back, and 90 sec. jog recoveries between sets.

09/04/2013 at 22:13
Edited: 09/04/2013 at 22:14
09/04/2013 at 22:32

MrsJJ is recovered thanks.
These grandchildren are getting expensive.

Redhead
My gardeners enter shows in about the same proportion except that we have nearly 300 members.

TE
That's a real pure speed session. Very useful but tough if the recoveries between reps were very short.

JJ

09/04/2013 at 22:44

MrsJJ is recovered thanks.
These grandchildren have the potential to create bankruptcy.
Can't seem to do the special characters.

Redhead
My gardeners enter shows in about the same proportion as yours but we have nearly 300 members and additionally lots of childrens' classes.

TE
A real speed session! Excellent. It looks tough if the intervals between reps was very short.
JJ

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
10/04/2013 at 06:20

2500m swim swum last night at training. As usual, OH did more than me!

10/04/2013 at 08:01

Grand children- look forward to that. With 2 girls at Uni and one at school still things are already very expensive- but that's what money is for I guess.

I did a 5 mile club grand prix last night- just used it to practive my VLM race pace, came in 10th from last! The race was followed by beer and curry which was much more fun.

10/04/2013 at 09:44

JJ, yes it was very tough and hurt, which is what it was meant to do if done properly. We did a longish run out to warm up and quite a few drills before starting the session. We then had an easy recovery run and lots of stretching. Total mileage 6.53. We had a good club turn out and everyone really worked hard. It is very pleasing to see what progress runners are making and this is due to the structured training sessions.

Foggy here in the New Forest at the moment but milder. Will be off for a very easy pace forest run later.

00 50 I'm sure the beer and curry was a great incentive for you to run the race!

10/04/2013 at 10:26

Morning all,

It rained all day yesterday and all the drying up in the fields has been undone so it's MUD everywhere.  We've got fog too.  I shall be out for a 3 mile trot later on.

00, LOL, I love that you were 10th from last with your MP.  With mine, everyone would have done the course twice and I would still have been last!

Glad to hear Mrs JJ is on the mend.

TE, I love the heart, thank you.  In the old days before RW moved to this swanky new site we had to learn all sorts of fancy emoticons and I've probably still got a file full of them somewhere.  When we were beta testing the new site they removed that facility and we all moaned so much that they eventually gave us the functionality again - but it did take a couple of years!

Columba, I'm jealous; it's still too muddy round here for off-roading.

10/04/2013 at 12:09

Was aching everywhere when I got up this morning, - all those tussocks and tree-roots and stones and steep ups and downs yesterday. Eased off a bit now. Working tomorrow morning so may take kit and trot along the sea front a couple of times before I drive back home.  I just love running by the sea.

Red, at the risk of making you still more jealous, it remains dry here and there has even been a gleam or two of sunshine. I have done a load of washing and hung it outside.

TE - the "Fetch" website has lots of icons of its own. If you ever go on it, look for the "Duck" thread, - they're all on there.

JJ - glad Mrs. JJ is on the mend.

10/04/2013 at 15:16

Columba, my legs were aching after last nights speed session, but I managed a 10 mile forest run which was hard work. There were two ducks swimming in one of the flooded fields, and yet strangely, some parts of the forest were bone dry, and I had to be careful not to twist my ankles. I saw a group of cyclists at about half way, at the side of the road and they said "A Hardley Runner." I wondered how they knew, as I wasn't wearing my club vest, but when I got closer, realised they were club members. I didn't recognise them at first, in their crash helmets and goggles. I record all my training runs and races on "Fetch," so will look out for the "Duck" thread.

Red, glad you liked the heart.

10/04/2013 at 22:44

Run in the forest sounds nice TE. I took another rest day. My back and glutes are quite tight so 15 minutes with the foam roller is all I managed. Seems to have eased it a bit.

11/04/2013 at 08:59

Morning all,

Redhead weather report time.  It chucked it down all through the night and we now have small ponds everywhere!  The ducks are very happy and are grubbing around happily in them but the horses are sulking in their field shelters.  I nearly did the splits in the mud when I went out with their feed and there's a huge skid mark!

I did a little 3.5 mile pootle yesterday to stretch my leggies and test my breathing.  Legs felt like lead and I struggled with my breathing which I put down to nerves.  So, that's the bad run out of the way and my next one will be just to keep my legs moving either today or tomorrow 

11/04/2013 at 09:11

It rained heavily in the night here too, but has stopped at the moment. It is much milder today and is forecast to peak at 13 degrees.

We have a hill rep session with the club this evening, which will be on road. The forest is still unsuitable for speed or hill work.

11/04/2013 at 16:01

JJ, thanks for your advice. About how far should I start with for the tempo section of the run, and at what sort of pace - 10k? Or maybe faster.

TE your running seems to be going really well. I hope Helen does as well as you expect, as she has obviously prepared well too.

Hurrah for the return to triathlon training for BIW.

OO - the curry would have been a great incentive for me too.

I think cross country is really good for ankle strengthening, as long as you don't go right over on one Columba.

As you say Red, now is the time for a carp run, and it's out of the way. How lovely to see a barn owl. While we were in Cambridge we went to a wildlife area called Gog Magog Down (I had to go, because of the name!) and we saw and heard about half a dozen skylarks - spirits were lifted almost as high as they soared - wonderful!

11/04/2013 at 18:04

I did the parkrun while in Cambridge, and was quite pleased with 27:04, and second lady in the age category, as the previous night had been a little over indulgent.

We had a handicap relay last night at the club which was a challenge as it was pouring with rain, and I was the slowest runner in the fast half, which had to run a lot further. Not sure how fast the sections were, but the average pace for the evening was 10:02, and that included the warm-up and cool down with mud to negociate.

11/04/2013 at 20:35

Been in Oxford all day.

Diana
My usual recommendation for a tempo run would be 1 mile warm up, 4 miles at fractionally faster than 10k pace, one mile warm down. Start with a 3 mile tempo section if you have doubts. You would need one of these each week for 6 - 8 weeks before the benefits start to kick in.

Redhead
Take care!
JJ

11/04/2013 at 21:58

Diana - Gog Magog - any particular associations or just funny names? 

Weren't they two stones kept in a bag and used (in the older parts of the Old Testament) rather like an oracle, - you asked a question, put your hand into the bag and picked one out. One of them meant "go for it" and the other meant "hold back".

Ran as planned along the sea front at Aberystwyth. Mild and dry as I set out, then poured with rain so came back very wet.

12/04/2013 at 08:57

Diana, thanks. I was talking to Helen at club last night and she is feeling confident. Well done on your second lady in your age category.

Last night was a hill session comprising 3 sets of 4 x 60 seconds fast uphill with steady downhills, and 90 second jog recoveries between sets. Total mileage 8.04.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.