'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,021 to 163,040 of 167,298 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
12/04/2013 at 12:06

I thought they were supposed to be giants?

12/04/2013 at 13:32

Afternoon all,

We were supposed to be going to Brighton this morning to collect my race number but we didn't make it as the phone kept ringing (sometimes for me re my challenge and sometimes for hubby about work) so we abandoned the idea and decided to go tomorrow instead.  This will be better actually as then we can wander around the Saturday market.  The good news is that I've been invited to the GWR Press Conference again which is always great publicity 

Have decided not to run until race day now as I don't want any disappointment or negative thoughts.

Diana, well done you!  2nd lady is brilliant.

12/04/2013 at 16:29

One small benefit of getting older I suppose Red! Hope that all goes really well for you on Sunday.

No associations Columba, I just loved the name. Skylarks were an unexpected bonus. Wikipedia says that Gog & Magog "are sometimes individuals, sometimes peoples, and sometimes geographic regions"

Quite a slow paced 5.83 miles off-road with a group from the club this morning. Despite things appearing much drier recently, reasonably heavy rain showers over the last 36 hours have left standing water and mud again, so feet got pretty wet. However, the sun shone and the sandy sections were nice and firm, so easier than when dry.

12/04/2013 at 20:43

Red, the very best of luck to you for Sunday, if we don't hear from you again until after the race. Your race report will be eagerly awaited.

Diana, I ran 7 miles this afternoon in the forest, and had to turn round at 3.5 miles. I was running in Yewtree Heath, which you probably know, and the ground was so flooded that I couldn't continue. I was running into a very strong wind on the outward leg, so it was nice, for a change, to have it behind me on the return.

I have a rest day tomorrow, and Sunday is the Club's Annual Awards Lunch, which is being held in The Drift Hotel. We will be doing a long run first, before the meal, so it should be an enjoyable day.

12/04/2013 at 22:42

BIW - They certainly sound like giants.

Red - all the best for Sunday. We look forward to hearing all about it.

13/04/2013 at 20:42

Evening all,

Very quiet on here today. It's rained all day, so for once, I'm glad it was a rest day. Tomorrow is forecast to be warm and dry, but our pre lunch run won't be very enjoyable, as the forest will be even wetter and boggier than it was for Fridays run.

Once again, best of luck Red for tomorrow, and anyone else that is racing.

13/04/2013 at 20:46

A bit late but hope Redhead has a great run tomorrow.

At the moment life seems to keep getting in the way of some training  and if it's not life then carp weather gets in the way. Trying hard to catch up with garden issues too.

No. 2 daughter and grandaughter are coming tomorrow for the day so that won't help much either.
JJ

13/04/2013 at 21:03

JJ - Maybe you could get them to help you in the garden?

No?

Rained here too.

14/04/2013 at 08:31

Morning all,

It's forecast 20 degrees here in the forest. I hope it's not too hot for Red at Brighton.

Will be setting of soon for forest run and club awards lunch. The Hotel has a pool, so may have a swim if not too tired. The sun hasn't come out yet and it was raining a while ago.

A lady on the local radio station said she had heard the first cuckoo in the forest. I think it is a bit early, as it is normally not until May when you hear their song.

14/04/2013 at 14:32

Hope it was an enjoyable lunch, TE. I might easily have bumped into your run if I'd done one of my normal routes, but ran from Brockenhurst instead, and got very wet and muddy. However, the sun shone, so it was pleasant but slow.

I can see that Red finished ok, but not the time. Looking forward to the details!

14/04/2013 at 17:08

Diana, thanks, the meal was excellent. We parked in the Drift Hotel car park and then jogged up to the Shatterford car park and set off for a 10 mile run at 11.00. The going was very muddy and boggy underfoot, and we also had to wade through ankle deep water and jump over several ditches.

Back at the hotel, we showered and then went to the bar. I enjoyed a couple of pints of bitter, and then into the Ipley Room, which was reserved for us, for our lunch. There were about half a dozen tables, with our own name plates and menu choices on the reverse. I had chicken, followed by sticky pudding and a scoop of ice cream. The meal was finished off with coffee, and presentation of awards. I didn't get anything, but hope to next year. 

The second day of the annual Wiggle cycle run was cancelled, due to adverse conditions, and flooded car park at Brockenhurst. There was, however, a cycle time trial which did go ahead.

Glad to hear that Red finished Brighton ok, and looking forward to her race report.

14/04/2013 at 18:53

Did 9 miles today, which is a long run for me. Was raining when I set out, but eased off and more-or-less stopped about half-way through, - but remained very blustery. All rivers and streams were high up their banks and galloping!

Looking forward to hearing from Red.

14/04/2013 at 19:08

I am back again......

Hope you are all well and running strong! 

Life took over for a fair few months, years, decades???   Been really busy personally and work-wise.  Hoping to be able to focus on returning to running and injury-free too.  Have entered some races to give me some goals to aim for!

IW, I promise I didn't lose myself down a rabbit-hole.

Redbonce, Good luck next weekend.  I see you are once again grabbing the headlines and even more famous! 

Where's daddy long legs these days?

14/04/2013 at 19:10

Evening all,

A quick update as I am full of wine and food!  I have a shiny new pb both for the course and I finally beat my long-standing marathon pb from London in 2006.  I finished in 4:48:34 by my watch and I would have been even better if it hadn't been a bit too hot for me in the 2nd half and I had to slow down.  

My target for a hot day was just to beat my course pb of 4:55 and my target for a cooler day was 4:45.  If I hadn't got VLM next week and had to be a bit sensible then I would have trounced that!

Full report tomorrow.

14/04/2013 at 19:32

Well done, Redbonce....  Great running.  I didn't realise you were running a marathon today?  Did you do Brighton?

14/04/2013 at 19:45

Red, very well done, I did say you would beat your PB, but thought it would be in the VLM. and not the Brighton. I hope the vibes from us on here, helped you on your way. Looking forward to tomorrows report.

14/04/2013 at 20:11

Well done Red let's hope that's a good omen for us all. Just back from the Lake District where it was very wet....

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
14/04/2013 at 20:17

Excellent, Redhead, well done. I found Brighton hot when I "ran" it in 2011. I'm quite happy that I have a legitimate excuse now to not run any more marathons, although I do sort of wish I'd been able to make 50.

John and I tried our first open water lake swim of the year today, and even though the sun was shining and we had our wetsuits on, we couldn't manage more than 15 mins in the water - it was 11c! So cold I couldn't put my face in it to swim properly.

14/04/2013 at 21:07

Redhead
Many congrats on the PB. I was sure it was there for the asking.
don't be surprised if you get a reaction at VLM because you won't have recovered properly.

TE
Yesterday while dog walking I heard a cuckoo call for several minutes.

Rabbit
Hope you can stick around on here and post from time to time.
Don't foget you owe me several birthday and Christmas presents.
JJ

14/04/2013 at 21:11

Columba
Daughter - gardening? A perfect oxymoron.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.