'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,041 to 163,060 of 167,170 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
15/04/2013 at 06:08

Forgot to add, ran 7 miles with Nemo yesterday, including 10 x ( 1 min hard 1 min recovery) before we went to try out the lake. Freezing cold water doesn't seem to bother the dogs - Charly learnt to swim properly in about 5 minutes!

15/04/2013 at 09:00

Redhead - brilliant! Many congratulations! - It just shows what consistent and systematic training can do; I find it most encouraging. 

Presumably you're not aiming for a PB at VLM, what with the knitting and all. Or are you aiming for a PB based on the combination of speed and amount knitted?

TE / JJ (re the cuckoo):

In April, come he will;

In May he sings night and day.

In June he changes his tune.

In July, away he doth fly.

In Agust, go he must.

15/04/2013 at 09:18

Columba, my father used to say a similar rhyme which went

The Cuckoo comes in April

He sings his song in May

In June he changes tune

In July he flies away

I seem to have got type back to normal size this morning. I'm not sure what I did, but I think I swiped the screen from left to right with the cursor, and the print changed to normal size. It will be interesting to see if it remains that way for my next post. I still have Path p.

Will go for a road run later, as trail shoes still soaking wet as I forgot to stuff with newspaper yesterday.

15/04/2013 at 12:16

Great respect to you Redbonce.  Running one marathon is a big achievement let alone a second the week after!  I am sure you will do fantastic though and all for a great cause!

JJ, I do plan to visit more frequently and also keep an eye on you all !   I think it best if I amalgamate all your missed birthdays and christmas presents into one!  Am I right in thinking you are 97 yoa?  I shall buy you a humungous pork pie to celebrate and munch in between running and gardening!

Happy Monday y'all

15/04/2013 at 13:11

Afternoon all,

Still on a high and don't want to concentrate of paperwork stuff!  My account of the Brighton marathon is in the usual place here on my blog (please forgive any typos as I've only checked it quickly): http://extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.co.uk/

My quads are a bit grumbly so I keep getting up and walking round a bit and my shoulders need a good rub too.  I'm going for a walk later to stretch my legs out and Mike has promised to massage my shoulders.  What more can a girl ask for?!

Columba, crickey NO to the thought of a running pb at VLM after that!!!  I shall be plodding around, hopefully in under 6 hours and trying to knit enough to beat my own GWR 

Wabbit, glad to see you're back again.  Can you still remember how to run?  I have done 3 marathons in a row for one of my challenges but that was a couple of years ago.

IW, brrrrrr, it made me feel cold just reading about the water temp 

Cuckoos were very late arriving this year.

15/04/2013 at 13:35

hi Red - well done on yesterday and beating us in the process!!  After we passed you early on we were going great guns and were through halfway in 2:15 and feeling good but P's legs decided that they didn't like running any more (she's never really liked running over 2hrs anyway) so we started to slow a lot.

You passed us again around 17 miles - you were too kind to take the piss out of us   and we finished in 13 secs over 5hrs and if P hadn't had needed a 5min comfort break at mile 14 we would have been a bit closer to you....

Edited: 15/04/2013 at 13:37
15/04/2013 at 14:27

Great running Red! Congratulations on the PB. I will read your blog shortly.

TE, we ran from Shatterford on Friday, but only 5.8 miles. We kept mainly to gravel trails, but had a fair helping of mud, and a cross-path stream or two, which was good for washing off the mud. I saw a lot of cyclists around Brockenhurst, so they were maybe doing the time-trial, or had decided it was a lovely day for a bike ride, so they'd do one anyway. A real shame the event couldn't go ahead, or only half of it.

Columba, I think 9 miles counts as a long run in anyone's book.

15/04/2013 at 14:31

Hello there FB - I remember you advising me on fuelling for my first marathon, and spotting you somewhere (marshalling) during my first Beachy Head marathon. I may even have been with Red at the time, as we ran part of it together, and she would have known who you were. Well done to you & Petal on Brighton yesterday

15/04/2013 at 14:47

Hi FB.  You were indeed going great guns when you passed me early on and I was sorry that I caught you up 'cos I knew one of you must have ben struggling.  When I passed you I was completely focussed on maintaining my pace so couldn't spare any breath for insults.  5hrs isn't at all shabby for an old codger and his lovely wife 

Edited: 15/04/2013 at 14:48
15/04/2013 at 15:56

I realised yesterday that it was only 3 weeks to the Alton 10 mile, so thought I'd put in an extra speed session this week. I ran 6 miles comprising .5 mile warm up, .25 mile hard, .25 mile jog and .5 mile warm down. I still haven't heard a cuckoo.

The size of my type is still normal and I was wondering if anyone else's too. 

15/04/2013 at 19:28

Well done FB and Petal! I have to live marathons vicariously now as I'm unable to run any more of them so I just enjoy reading about the exploits of others.

15/04/2013 at 21:01

Been swimming.

TE - I don't think i did anything to get the normal-sized print back; jus started to type and realised it was no longer tiny. (Still have "Path: p", - not a reference to FB's OH?)

i haven't heard a cuckoo yet this year. Not sure they get as far as Wales; can't remember having heard one for years, though used to when I lived further east.

Red, I am off to look at your blog.

15/04/2013 at 21:32

Terrible news coming in about 2 explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. Two killed and some have lost limbs. Hope it wasn't terrorist activity. Security will now be stretched to the limit in London, with Maggies funeral on Wednesday and the VLM on Sunday.

15/04/2013 at 23:09

Sometimes the awful realities of the world bursts the little bubble of our running community. So sorry for anyone affected directly or via their families.

Edited: 15/04/2013 at 23:10
16/04/2013 at 09:11

Morning all,

I couldn't believe what I was watching when I saw the news about Boston.  So sad.  "Man's inhumanity to man makes countless thousands mourn" sums it up better than I could.

I think there will be plenty of black armbands around at VLM.

16/04/2013 at 11:17

Agreed. Unfortunately "Man's inhumanity to man" goes on as it has for centuries, just that the methods have changed for the worse. Terrible news - and I cannot think of anything worse for a runner than the poor chap who had both his legs blown off. I want you to go out there next Sunday Redhead and give it all you can at VLM, we can't let the wicked evil bastards win. Running has nothing to do with religion, politics, race, creed or colour, it is a coming together of like-minded people from all over the world having (hopefully) a wonderful magical experience and fulfilling a dream. I imagine there will be a lot of black armbands worn.

16/04/2013 at 11:18

I heard a cuckoo once about a month ago but no more, now all I hear is woodpeckers, they seem to be extra busy in the woods this year.

16/04/2013 at 12:00

Awful news about Boston. I think we do all feel part of a larger running community as you say IW. My run today will be a time to think of those affected in Boston.

Heard the first cuckoo (for me this year) last night, and like you IW, I've been hearing quite a lot of woodpeckers.

16/04/2013 at 16:53

It seems that the bombs were packed with nails to cause maximum carnage. Let's hope they soon catch the evil perpetrators. How can they sleep at night, knowing they have killed and maimed innocent people.

16/04/2013 at 17:43

Our thoughts to the Boston victims.

Runners are strong, we will run on. I'm sure it will give strength and determination to everybody running in London this weekend.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.