'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,061 to 163,080 of 167,179 messages
16/04/2013 at 20:28

Re Boston. I always try very hard to get my mind round what motivates people to kill and maim but I just can't imagine what people think they gain from killing an 8 year old for instance. 'Spose it's dismissed as collateral damage.

IW
Your running is developing very nicely.

Columba
Does the cuckoo verse have an author or is it traditional? I quite like it.

Rabbit
I will accept the pork pie with humility and gratitude. Very suitable for a 97 y.o.
I wonder what I get when I'm 100!   

TE
The small font size was another proble with this leaky website. I had a full and frank discussion with them a couple of weeks back about several major faults with the system including this one.

Redhead
You take things very carefully - or else!
JJ

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
16/04/2013 at 21:21

Thanks JJ,

16/04/2013 at 21:50

JJ, thanks for taking problems up with RW Towers.

We have several club runners doing the VLM and they aren't deterred by the Boston tragedy.

A figure of eight session this evening comprising 4 circuits with first loop at 10k pace and second loop 5k pace.  The circuits were 0.72 mile and my times were 4.52, 5.00, 4.58, 5.04 and 5.10. Total mileage 7.67 miles.

16/04/2013 at 22:08

JJ - I don't know about the cuckoo verse. I've always assumed it was traditional.

Absolutely right not to be deterred by the Boston tragedy.

Out with running club tonight, - 6.15 miles off-road, fields, tracks (muddy in places), stiles, woodland, exposed open hillside... I was last by a long way, always feel a bit bad that others have to wait for me; on the other hand, I quite often caught up when they were queing to cross a stile. Beautiful scenery to look at when you could take your eyes off the rather dodgy underfoot conditions.

17/04/2013 at 06:11

Very pleased with both dogs last night at the club. Charly had his 3rd lesson in security work and he began barking at the "bad guy" as soon as he was on the field, grabbed the stuffed play dummy he was being teased with and played tug-of-war with Dieter. When Dieter let Charly "win", he trotted around with me as pleased as punch with himself. That scene was repeated several times and then we left the field with Charly proudly carrying his "trophy". Good boy! I am so glad he gets stuck in and doesn't let go , that's the thing all our dog handlers pray for.

17/04/2013 at 08:36

Columba, sounds like a great off road session. We will be back in the forest next week.

A very grey and windy morning, and I will be going out for a run later this afternoon, hopefully in the forest, unless it belts down with rain.

17/04/2013 at 09:03

Morning all,

I'm in WIBBLE mode again and the butterflies in my tummy are flitting around all over the pace 

I may be taking it easy but that means I've got more time to think about Friday which is a massive day in so many ways - leave home at silly o'clock, radio interview (a London station I think), go to the Alzheimer's Show to do the first lay person talk of the day (only 20 minutes plus a bit of PR afterwards), dash off to the Expo to collect my number and stuff, head back to Tower Bridge to get into my running outfit for the VLM photo call then it's the Guinness World Record Press Conference in one of the hotel suites after which there are usually phone calls requesting interviews/details, then we can head home in time for wine o'clock 

IW, I love Charly!  I wouldn't let go either.

Columba, you seem to be posting higher mileage these days.  Are you enjoying your outings with the club?

JJ, I will thanks, promise xxx

I see that there will be 30 seconds silence at the start of VLM and they will be giving out black ribbons to everyone at the Expo - http://lrn.london-marathon.com/london-marathon-observe-period-silence/

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 09:04
17/04/2013 at 10:32

Oh Red, I do sympathise! - I think you're amazing to take all that on, - I get wibbly before the most insignficant of races, and just look at all the stuff you're contending with.

Higher mileage - my mileage on Tuesdays is dictated by what the club is doing. I am trying to extend the distance of my long runs gradually (not least because I've entered the Lake Vyrnwy half-mara again this autumn), not every week but maybe every two or three weeks.

BIW - Charly sounds a real gem.

Off to Aber for work this afternoon.

17/04/2013 at 11:09

Friday sounds like a VERY busy day Redhead. You do so much for Alzheimer's, I think it's great.

17/04/2013 at 14:38

Red, I don't know how you pack so much into every day. It's amazing that you find the time to train, let alone doing your high mileage.

17/04/2013 at 19:43

Went for a 6 mile run at 4.00 this afternoon. It was meant to be a recovery run, and felt easy, but I ran it in exactly 54 minutes. This is much quicker than my usual recovery runs, so I seem to be getting faster. Hope I can keep it up for my races.

The temperature was very pleasant, and it was a treat to run in just a t shirt and shorts, and feel the warmth of the sun on my back. I still haven't heard a cuckoo.

17/04/2013 at 20:40

Hi everyone, did you miss me? 

Got back late last night and back to work today.  Nice to have internet back!

Have not had a chance to catch up with all your posts, but congratulations, Red - you are one amazing lady!  I thought of you last Sunday.

So sad about Boston. How tragic. So many broken bodies and broken hearts. It is beyond comprehension how people can be so cruel.

My foot is still playing up but I have not deferred. How could I. The truth is I would rather try and be forced to give up than not be at the start line. 

I did the taper - 18.5,  13,  8,  on the right days oh so gently, but did not do the the runs in between.  My hope of a GFA is out of the window, so I fully expect to take six and a half hours, and that is if I do it without further injury.

Never mind - there is always next year, and it does leave it wide open for me to get a PB in the future without too much difficulty!!!!

Catch up with you all tomorrow.

MM

17/04/2013 at 21:03

Welcome back Mat.

Red you are very busy- my VLM plan is much more relaxed.

TE it's always good to be getting faster.

Rest day here & taper madness  

17/04/2013 at 21:10

Hello Matsmum, welcome back. I admire your determination. You might find that when it comes to it, you go rather quicker than expected, and finish in less than 6 1/2 hours!

Didn't run today; - working. Incredibly windy at the coast; nearly got blown off my feet, and the parked car was rocking on its wheels.

17/04/2013 at 21:28

Welcome back Matsmum. Well done in deciding to run, despite your injury.

17/04/2013 at 22:53

windy here too Columba on the NE coast- blowing a hooley out there...

18/04/2013 at 08:05

A nice bright, sunny morning.

Hilly circuits with club this evening.

18/04/2013 at 09:16

Morning all,

OMG the wind.  It's gusting up to 50mph at the moment - I know 'cos a neighbouring farmer likes to keep me informed!  The horses are really silly and skittish when it's like this.

I'm having one of those "will I be able to run after all this rest?" kind of days   I shall probably have to do a short pootle of 2-3 miles on Saturday morning just to stretch my legs out and calm my nerves.

Matsmum, welcome back and thanks for thinking of me; you must have helped push me to my pb.  Glad to hear you'll be joining us on Sunday and I hope you get round OK.  Have you considered a run/walk strategy?  Maybe 5 mins running then 5 mins walking?  It might help ease the pressure on your foot.  Just a thought.  I have to get round in under 6 hours so you might meet up with me but if not, all the best and I'll send you supportive vibes xxx

00, are you at the green start?

TE, did you decide on the IOW marathon?  I've only been to the island once, when I was knitting on the back of  a tandem during the randonnee, and it looked beautiful but rather hilly.

Edited: 18/04/2013 at 09:16
18/04/2013 at 10:02

Hope tomorrow isn't too tiring, Red.

Welcome back Matsmum. I'll be willing you on on Sunday.

Very windy here too. We had a hill session with the club last night, which was tough after Monday's times 5k

18/04/2013 at 13:50

Red, many Coaches advocate a rest day on Friday and short jog on the Saturday, to wake up the rested legs. I haven't yet made up my mind about the IoW Marathon, and will wait and see how the SDM goes. The new IoW route, which starts on the West of the Island from Cowes, instead of Ryde, is described as less hilly, and quieter roads so won't be as challenging as in previous years. I believe I have already mentioned that I have entered the Pompey Waterside Coastal Marathon which is on 22nd December. I've got the Alton 10 miler in 2 weeks and Netley 10k 2 weeks after that. The SDM follows 3 weeks later.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.