'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,081 to 163,100 of 166,638 messages
18/04/2013 at 19:31

Very heavy showers today.
I don't need cold showers!

Redhead
Actually your day will be quite a useful displacement activity. At least it will remove any temptation to run.

Matsmum
One of my daughters ran London on no training at all (against my advice) and managed 6:20 so you will be much better than you are expecting so long as nothing breaks.
JJ

18/04/2013 at 21:45

I'm on the red start Red (you see what I did there). I was on green last year, but I've been promoted to red (fast Good for Age). First time at the red start.

Last run tonight an 8 miler with 2 at race pace. Not the best I've ever felt but nothing broken either.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
18/04/2013 at 21:49

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6763/gallery/aa012a.jpg?width=350

Well ladies and gentlemen, here he is, my Charly, now 11 months old.

18/04/2013 at 21:56

Best of luck to Red, Matsmum, 00 50 and anyone else racing on Sunday. I will do my long run on Saturday, so that I can watch the race on TV on Sunday.

A hilly circuit session this evening comprising 5 x 0.33 mile, with 60 sec. walk recoveries.

18/04/2013 at 22:00

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6763/gallery/aa029a.jpg?width=350

Isn't he lovely?

18/04/2013 at 22:01

BIW, a very nice picture of Charly, he's certainly grown.

18/04/2013 at 22:44

He's beautiful, BIW.

Very best of luck to all VLM-ers; rest well and run well. 

Did another pyramid session today and was very pleased to compare my speeds with previous ones and find I'm getting faster. Not a lot faster, but seems to be consistent.

19/04/2013 at 06:27

Thanks Columba, we think he's pretty special. Probably has reached his final height now but will fill out and develop his muscles over the next few months. To my surprise our club leader told me I should definitely show him, he's good enough. Of course I thought so but then I'm biased!

Good luck to all running  VLM on Sunday, in the words of my American colleagues - kick its butt!

19/04/2013 at 07:22

oh Lord this is getting exciting- probably the high point of the year for me whatever happens in London. Thanks for the messages of support.... 

19/04/2013 at 09:00

A nice bright, sunny morning. Taking a rest day today, and aiming for a 20 mile forest run tomorrow. Will spend Sunday morning watching the marathon and tracking club runners. Hope it isn't too hot for the racers.

19/04/2013 at 12:43

'OO' - exciting, I should think it is!

Eldest Son is coming for the weekend, so I don't suppose I'll be on the laptop much.

19/04/2013 at 21:25

Redhead/OO 50/Matsmum
Have a great run on Sunday and enjoy the occasion. Remember the first 6 miles are. mostly downhill so don't get carried away. Take advantage by taking it easy.

IW
Nice looking dog.

Columba
Good to see that you are still improving.
JJ

mcs
19/04/2013 at 21:31

Enjoy the VLM all running respect and envy here. Have a great day bound to be a sad moment at the start with the silence and black ribbons. Enjoy the run all have a good one. Go get em.

20/04/2013 at 06:19

Best of luck fellow runners and thank you everyone for your support.

The last time I felt so scared was when I took my motorbike test at the age of 56 and my hands shook so much the examiner had to do my helmet up for me!!

JJ - Thank you for all your help. Please send me lots of positive vibes.  I am really really going to need them.

MM

20/04/2013 at 07:50

Booooootiful day!  Planning on running soon followed by a day in the garden painting fences!  GRRRRRRRRR.  Boo hoo to the latter.

Good luck to Redbonce tomorrow!  Knit strong!

Unsure if anyone else from this fred is running.  If so good luck to you too!  Hope you achieve your goal !

Have a good day wrinklies.

20/04/2013 at 08:04

Once again, very best of luck to all the VLM marathoners tomorrow. I will be sending out encouraging vibes.

This morning is bright and sunny, although still a bit cold. Will soon be off, for my long forest run. I will take it very easily, so that I can enjoy it, until the heavy going underfoot starts taking its toll. 

20/04/2013 at 12:51

Afternoon all,

That was  BIG day yesterday and we were cream-crackered when  we finally got home.  Having a very quiet day today and not doing much as I need to really focus and dig deep.

Thanks for all the good wishes and hope I spot Matsmum and 00 en-route - you never know.  Good luck to you both anyway.

IW, Charly is a splendid looking chap now.

20/04/2013 at 14:32

Charly is very handsome, IW.

Great that you continue to improve Columba - how encouraging.

Hope TE has a good run - lovely out today; bright but cold.

All the very best to all our VLMers tomorrow. Glad that it will be dry it seems, as that will make knitting easier. Seems it shouldn't be too warm either. I'm looking forward to hearing all your reports.

6.2 mile run across the forest yesterday. Legs were feeling pretty tired - I blame Wednesday's hill work. Will go out for a very gentle 5k to meet my 5 x 50 challenge later on.

20/04/2013 at 20:41

Diana, I set off at 9.45 and it was bright but still a bit chilly. It warmed up as time went by, and eventually was a touch too hot. I ran 21 miles in the forest, trying to pick the most challenging routes. The going was a mixture of deep mud, which I had to wade through, rock hard chalky sections, soft sand, wet sand, sodden grass etc. The worst areas were in the last 6 miles running up the hill at Ipley Crossroads, then Dibden Inclosure where I had to wade though lots of deep mud and climb Knokes Hill. I still hadn't done enough miles, so I ran back to Ipley Crossroads and did the hill again from the other side.

This was the toughest training run I have done for many a year, and I ran it on my own, which is much harder than with other runners. I have a good idea now of the pain and self belief that I will need for the SDM.

I hope it is a bit cooler tomorrow for the VLM runners. I will be sending out encouraging vibes which I hope will help. 

20/04/2013 at 21:01

Did an easy run this morning with the doodle. Beautiful day and the forecast for tomorrow is excellent for marathon running.

TE
One of the most important things about marathon training and racing is that we find out a great deal about ourselves.
That was a hard man's run. It was getting on towards ultra training.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.