'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,101 to 163,120 of 165,834 messages
20/04/2013 at 12:51

Afternoon all,

That was  BIG day yesterday and we were cream-crackered when  we finally got home.  Having a very quiet day today and not doing much as I need to really focus and dig deep.

Thanks for all the good wishes and hope I spot Matsmum and 00 en-route - you never know.  Good luck to you both anyway.

IW, Charly is a splendid looking chap now.

20/04/2013 at 14:32

Charly is very handsome, IW.

Great that you continue to improve Columba - how encouraging.

Hope TE has a good run - lovely out today; bright but cold.

All the very best to all our VLMers tomorrow. Glad that it will be dry it seems, as that will make knitting easier. Seems it shouldn't be too warm either. I'm looking forward to hearing all your reports.

6.2 mile run across the forest yesterday. Legs were feeling pretty tired - I blame Wednesday's hill work. Will go out for a very gentle 5k to meet my 5 x 50 challenge later on.

20/04/2013 at 20:41

Diana, I set off at 9.45 and it was bright but still a bit chilly. It warmed up as time went by, and eventually was a touch too hot. I ran 21 miles in the forest, trying to pick the most challenging routes. The going was a mixture of deep mud, which I had to wade through, rock hard chalky sections, soft sand, wet sand, sodden grass etc. The worst areas were in the last 6 miles running up the hill at Ipley Crossroads, then Dibden Inclosure where I had to wade though lots of deep mud and climb Knokes Hill. I still hadn't done enough miles, so I ran back to Ipley Crossroads and did the hill again from the other side.

This was the toughest training run I have done for many a year, and I ran it on my own, which is much harder than with other runners. I have a good idea now of the pain and self belief that I will need for the SDM.

I hope it is a bit cooler tomorrow for the VLM runners. I will be sending out encouraging vibes which I hope will help. 

20/04/2013 at 21:01

Did an easy run this morning with the doodle. Beautiful day and the forecast for tomorrow is excellent for marathon running.

TE
One of the most important things about marathon training and racing is that we find out a great deal about ourselves.
That was a hard man's run. It was getting on towards ultra training.
JJ

21/04/2013 at 11:43

Just spotted that Red is pictured on the BBC website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/ complete with knitting. I'm tracking her among others on the website, and all going well so far

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
21/04/2013 at 14:06

15km run with Nemo plus an hour on the turbo - not to be compared with running VLM of course but I'm quietly satisfied with progress.

Have watchedsome of the VLM coverage but haven't spotted Redhead    

21/04/2013 at 14:55

I've tracked Tony Hodge and Helen and their marathon times were 3.29.27 and 4.30.57. Splendid times for both.

21/04/2013 at 15:02

Redhead safely through 35k.

Great times TE - they must be pleased.

Edited: 21/04/2013 at 15:02
21/04/2013 at 19:24

Diana, they have both said that they are really pleased with their times. This was Helen's first and I think Tony's twenty sixth.

Hope Red, Matsmum and 00 50 had good races

21/04/2013 at 19:28

Redhead at the finish in 5:54 or thereabouts. Well done, after running Brighton marathon last week!  

21/04/2013 at 19:29

Makes me want to do another!

21/04/2013 at 19:33

Managed 55 minutes of off-road run/walk with the doodle. Not quite VLM is it?

Will await race reports with interest.

IW
Don't forget Redhead was knitting too.
JJ

21/04/2013 at 20:10

Evening all,

Thanks for tracking me!  I've had an "awesome" day which I will have to write about tomorrow as I'm too full of wine now 

Suffice to say that I now have a shiny new Guinness World for the longest scarf knitted whilst running a marathon - 2.05 metres.  Happy 

21/04/2013 at 20:25

Well done Redbonce!  Star!

Hope others running had a great day too.

IW, I know the feeling.  It's brought back great memories for me.  I shall be attempting to get a place!  But NOT as a Wabbit !

21/04/2013 at 22:13

Brilliant, Redhead! - You were quite expecting to take 6 hours, but you beat that! I look forward to reading all about it.

21/04/2013 at 22:17

Redhead
A great day indeed. We are honoured to have you posting on here.

Rabbit
I shall probably enter too. Be scared young lady.
JJ

21/04/2013 at 23:14

Quick post from me before I collapse into bed. Wonderful day in the London sunshine and a VLM time of 3:05:48 which is up there with my best.Experience paid off today and I'm happy with a great weekend.

22/04/2013 at 06:28

Stonking time 00, very well done.

Redhead, you too and congrats on yet another World Record - I can't knit at all, let alone while running a marathon!

JJ and Wabbity - I shall look forward to supporting you both even though I'll envy you as well. I'm used to being able to do anything I want to, it's dispiriting for me knowing my marathon days are over.

22/04/2013 at 08:27

Very well done Red, 2 marathons in 2 weeks and a world record to boot!!

Very well done to 00 50 also, a fantastic time for a 50 year old.

Bright and sunny here, and I'm off for another forest run later this morning. A glutton for punishment.

I hope Matsmum successfully completed the race.

22/04/2013 at 09:08

Wonderful Red! I saw your time, but wasn't sure how fast you had to be, or of course how much you'd knitted.

As for OO 50 - amazing time!

All the runners from our club got safely round, though none as fast as OO 50.

I had a short run on forest trails, just under 5 miles, but seemed to spend much of the day watching either VLM or the F1!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.