'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,101 to 163,120 of 167,011 messages
21/04/2013 at 11:43

Just spotted that Red is pictured on the BBC website - http://www.bbc.co.uk/ complete with knitting. I'm tracking her among others on the website, and all going well so far

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
21/04/2013 at 14:06

15km run with Nemo plus an hour on the turbo - not to be compared with running VLM of course but I'm quietly satisfied with progress.

Have watchedsome of the VLM coverage but haven't spotted Redhead    

21/04/2013 at 14:55

I've tracked Tony Hodge and Helen and their marathon times were 3.29.27 and 4.30.57. Splendid times for both.

21/04/2013 at 15:02

Redhead safely through 35k.

Great times TE - they must be pleased.

Edited: 21/04/2013 at 15:02
21/04/2013 at 19:24

Diana, they have both said that they are really pleased with their times. This was Helen's first and I think Tony's twenty sixth.

Hope Red, Matsmum and 00 50 had good races

21/04/2013 at 19:28

Redhead at the finish in 5:54 or thereabouts. Well done, after running Brighton marathon last week!  

21/04/2013 at 19:29

Makes me want to do another!

21/04/2013 at 19:33

Managed 55 minutes of off-road run/walk with the doodle. Not quite VLM is it?

Will await race reports with interest.

IW
Don't forget Redhead was knitting too.
JJ

21/04/2013 at 20:10

Evening all,

Thanks for tracking me!  I've had an "awesome" day which I will have to write about tomorrow as I'm too full of wine now 

Suffice to say that I now have a shiny new Guinness World for the longest scarf knitted whilst running a marathon - 2.05 metres.  Happy 

21/04/2013 at 20:25

Well done Redbonce!  Star!

Hope others running had a great day too.

IW, I know the feeling.  It's brought back great memories for me.  I shall be attempting to get a place!  But NOT as a Wabbit !

21/04/2013 at 22:13

Brilliant, Redhead! - You were quite expecting to take 6 hours, but you beat that! I look forward to reading all about it.

21/04/2013 at 22:17

Redhead
A great day indeed. We are honoured to have you posting on here.

Rabbit
I shall probably enter too. Be scared young lady.
JJ

21/04/2013 at 23:14

Quick post from me before I collapse into bed. Wonderful day in the London sunshine and a VLM time of 3:05:48 which is up there with my best.Experience paid off today and I'm happy with a great weekend.

22/04/2013 at 06:28

Stonking time 00, very well done.

Redhead, you too and congrats on yet another World Record - I can't knit at all, let alone while running a marathon!

JJ and Wabbity - I shall look forward to supporting you both even though I'll envy you as well. I'm used to being able to do anything I want to, it's dispiriting for me knowing my marathon days are over.

22/04/2013 at 08:27

Very well done Red, 2 marathons in 2 weeks and a world record to boot!!

Very well done to 00 50 also, a fantastic time for a 50 year old.

Bright and sunny here, and I'm off for another forest run later this morning. A glutton for punishment.

I hope Matsmum successfully completed the race.

22/04/2013 at 09:08

Wonderful Red! I saw your time, but wasn't sure how fast you had to be, or of course how much you'd knitted.

As for OO 50 - amazing time!

All the runners from our club got safely round, though none as fast as OO 50.

I had a short run on forest trails, just under 5 miles, but seemed to spend much of the day watching either VLM or the F1!

22/04/2013 at 10:42

Morning all,

Thanks for your kind words.  It was an amazing day and it's going to take me ages to write about everything that's happened over the last few days so please bear with me.  My finishing time was 5:54:53 and Mike said I should have slowed down and done some more knitting to come in nearer the 6 hour mark!!!!!

So, that was day 1 of my streak and this afternoon, after plenty of gentle stretching and loosening, I shall be out for a very slow 5.5 mile plod.  Me and my silly challenges............ 

00, OMG that's awesome (I can't stop saying "awesome" at the moment!!!)

Columba, I had to get round in under 6 hours for it to qualify so I try to get as close a possible to maximise my knitting time 

JJ and Wabbit, let's see you put your legs where your mouths are!

IW, you may not be able to run marathons any more but you are the superstar of the Ironman xxx

Now we just need to hear from Matsmum.

22/04/2013 at 11:39

Thanks for that Redhead, but unfortunately IM is a thing of the past too now as it finishes with a marathon. Unless there's a runner looking for a cyclist and swimmer for a relay team (John can swim and I'll bike). Half-Ironman I can still do and have entered two for 2013. The first one looks fairly easy - 2km swim, 70km on the bike and a 15km run. The other is more the "standard" half - 2km swim, 90km cycle and a half -marathon.

Waiting eagerly to hear about Matsmum.

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 11:40
22/04/2013 at 14:52

Diana, all our runners also completed the course and our fastest finisher, who is in the 45-49 age category, ran it in 2.56.57.

Ran 6.3 miles in the forest this morning, and it seemed so short. I am getting used to the longer runs these days.

22/04/2013 at 17:05

00 and Red, you are truly amazing. And Red - my daughter spotted you and called out to you (for some reason she thought you were from Norfolk like us) and asked you if you were, and you said No! You probably thought she was being cheeky as people from Norfolk do have a certain reputation!

I did it!  According to my garmin it took me 5.58. I nearly killed myself on the last mile to get in before 6 hours. I remembered to put my hand on my heart crossing the finish line in memory of Boston. It will probably look like I am having a cardiac arrest on my photo. I had a great day, so uplifting and at the same time so humbling. It said 26.85 on my garmin.....does that make me an ultra runner?! I have a photo of me at mile 21 where I saw my family and I will post it (when I have figured out how to do it. I still don't know how to do my profile picture). That's what comes of being 65.

But I can run a marathon!

JJ - no slacking now, I need a training programme for the London Royal Parks Half in October please!

And I want to do 5 more marathons before I pop my clogs so that I can leave a medal for each of my children. (Matthew has got this one!)

I didn't tell you before but I dedicated each mile to somebody important to me, and mile 20 was for you lot on this forum. So thanks everyone, you are inspirational.

MM

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.