'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,121 to 163,140 of 167,011 messages
22/04/2013 at 17:19

So pleased for you Matsmum - great effort! Now to rest and repair before starting JJ's next training plan!

22/04/2013 at 17:33

Oh, well done Matsmum, that's a great time and how lovely to dedicate a mile to us.  I remember the Norfolk shout and I was really confused by it - now it makes sense!  Please apologise to her on my behalf if I gave her a strange look.  Yes, technically you could claim that as an ultra - mine measured 26.57.  You should feel very proud of yourself 

I took my leggies out for 5.5 miles for day 2 of my streak so that's a total of 32.12 miles so far 

22/04/2013 at 21:10

That's inspiring Matsmum, very well done- yes you can do marathons!

I think there were about 90 50-54 year olds ahead of me.

22/04/2013 at 21:56

My club had a great VLM.  Five guys ran under 3 hours and two more were only just over 3 hours.

OO 50
I'm impressed with that run. It's well up there with the best.

Matsmum
Many, many congrats on your run. You were right not to defer.
Do nothing for several days and nothing more than slow, easy runs for a month.

At least you don't need to be doing very long training runs for a half marathon but the training isn't easy because it's a speed/endurance race. Marathons are pure endurance. What sort of time do you want to aim for?

In the 3 months before the half it would be helpful if you could find 2 x 10k and 1 x 10 mile races.

Don't worry if you can't get a VLM place there are a lot of very good marathons around. Abingdon, Edinburgh and Brighton are very good. So is Stratford but it's always hot.

Redhead
This legs and mouths thing sounds quite interesting.
My club had a V74 running VLM and he ran 4:44 so I guess I have to try and beat that.
JJ

You don't have to rely 

Redhead

22/04/2013 at 21:57

My club had a great VLM.  Five guys ran under 3 hours and two more were only just over 3 hours.

OO 50
I'm impressed with that run. It's well up there with the best.

Matsmum
Many, many congrats on your run. You were right not to defer.
Do nothing for several days and nothing more than slow, easy runs for a month.

At least you don't need to be doing very long training runs for a half marathon but the training isn't easy because it's a speed/endurance race. Marathons are pure endurance. What sort of time do you want to aim for?

In the 3 months before the half it would be helpful if you could find 2 x 10k and 1 x 10 mile races.

Don't worry if you can't get a VLM place there are a lot of very good marathons around. Abingdon, Edinburgh and Brighton are very good. So is Stratford but it's always hot.

Redhead
This legs and mouths thing sounds quite interesting.
My club had a V74 running VLM and he ran 4:44 so I guess I have to try and beat that.
JJ

23/04/2013 at 08:13

Matsmum, well done in your VLM run, and a very nice touch thinking of us oldies during mile 20.

Another bright, sunny morning and we have a speed session in the forest this evening on a gravel track. Next week, we are scheduled for our first grass track session, providing the lanes have been marked out. Last year, we lost several sessions due to the waterlogged state of the grass.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
23/04/2013 at 11:13

Excellent first  marathon matsmum, well done! I hope you had a glass of wine or a beer or something to celebrate. And thanks so much for the forum dedication. 

23/04/2013 at 14:36

'OO' - brilliant time, only just over 3 hours

Red - many many congratulations on yet another world record! - Do they measure / weigh the knitting?

Matsmum - well done you, and thank you for thinking of us at mile 20. Never mind glass of wine, a whole bottle of champagne would scarcely recognise your achievement.

23/04/2013 at 15:27

Afternoon all,

I was up at 4:30am trying to get my blog up to date and I've still only managed to write about Frantic Friday!  We went out for a meal last night to celebrate and I had too much to eat and drink!

Did 5.75 miles today on a mixture of grass and tarmac.  Again, my legs felt better after about 3 miles but today they didn't enjoy the downhill sections!

Columba, the scarf was measured as soon as I crossed the line.  By the time I'd got home it measured 20 cms more 'cos of the weight (I wore it round my neck all  the way home!).

Right, chores done, run done, time to get blogging again!

23/04/2013 at 21:47

Lovely day. Wore shorts all day just to give the locals a treat 

MrsJJ and me joined the VLM celebrations and had tea and cake in a cafe after dog walking.
JJ

23/04/2013 at 22:07

Speed session on a gravel track in the forest this evening. We did 4 sets of 30, 45 and 60 secs, with steady runs back, and 60 sec jog recoveries between sets.

The midges are now in evidence, but I have, so far, managed to avoid being bitten. Last year, I had some nasty bites.

24/04/2013 at 06:16

TE - I've been bitten on my shins already (from being on the dog training field with shorts on!). Buggers.

No run for me yesterday, last night of winter swim training before we switch to the outdoor pool. The session total was 3700, of which I swam 2400m - of course John did the whole lot! Keeping up his standard of always being last out of the water and last out of the showers - bet the attendants will be really happy winter session's over, they won't have to wait for John to be ready to leave!

24/04/2013 at 08:45

Tonight, I'm racing in the first of the RR10 series of races, which are held fortnightly off road, and vary between 4 and 5 miles. Entry is free, the only qualification being to wear a club vest. These events are very popular with club runners, so there should be a good turn out.

24/04/2013 at 09:43

I'll be there too TE, but rather farhter back in the field. I haven't done the Royal Victoria Country park one for a few years, as it's rather a trek to get to it, but have resolved to try & do more of the series this year.

BIW, John sounds like our grandson - he is in the shower for ages, and just about everyone else has got dressed and gone home.

24/04/2013 at 11:38

Yep, sounds like a carbon copy. When John is not away working elsewhere, we travel to work together as our offices are only about 2km apart. In the mornings, it takes him about 15mins to get out of bed. All he has to do is wash and dress, drink his coffee and take the dogs out. I get up, make the coffee, wash and dress, do makeup and hair , put together lunch to take to work, sluice down the patio, load his bike, shoes, helmet and rucksack into my car - and then I wait. And wait.

24/04/2013 at 14:28

Diana, this will be my first RR10 and I'm looking forward to it. I've run the 10k at Nettley many times, but that was on tarmac. I much prefer running off road, it's more challenging.

24/04/2013 at 14:51

Afternoon all,

Running streak day 4 of 111 -  5.60 miles run on a mixture of grass, ploughed fields and tarmac. I could hardly believe it but my legs felt absolutely fine.  Of course, I was just plodding and not pushing the pace but it was a hillyish route.  Total miles so far 43.50  Good body for recovering so well and not protesting too much 

JJ refuelling with tea and cake is an important part of recovery after exercise 

TE and Diana, enjoy yourselves tonight.  It's much cooler today but the midges are still about.  In fact they didn't disappear in the winter months so i think it's going to be a bad year for the little blighters.  I've already been bitten by a mozzy.

24/04/2013 at 16:50

Finally finished updating my blog. The first post is about VLM but those of you interested in the Guinness World Records press conference and photo shoot or the Alzheimer's Show will need to scroll down the page to Frantic Friday parts 1, 2, & 3.

It's been an awesome week!!! 

http://extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.co.uk/

Edited: 24/04/2013 at 16:50
24/04/2013 at 17:24

Thank you for all your congratulations. I seem to be fine, very few aches and pains and itching to be out again. I am having to have an xray on my foot though. 

I had rather an unceremonious celebration afterwards - my poor husband bought me up a lovely tray of fish and chips and a large glass of wine. I ate one chip, stood up, passed out, came to and chucked up!

We are getting a dog on Saturday. A boy labrador, nearly 2, who needs a new home. I know we said never again, but it is just not the same without a waggy friend. I will take him running with me.

Thanks JJ - yes, I did a half in 2009 after Matthew's accident in 2.17. I would like to at least equal that if I could. Might as well aim high!

Now off to p[ilates.

Have a good evening everybody.

MM

24/04/2013 at 20:20

ooooh how exciting matsmum, is he a black or a golden? What's his name?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.