'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,141 to 163,160 of 166,991 messages
24/04/2013 at 22:34

Totally knackered after a full day's gardening and two doodle walks.

Matsmum
Very kind to take on the dog.
Any ideas about the passing out?

No sense in having an easy target. Why not try for sub-2:15 which is under 11 minute miling. You will  know exactly what you have to do right from the starting signal. You also know where you stand with speed training pace and 10k races.

JJ

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
25/04/2013 at 06:58

John is in the doghouse - I've told him over and over not to let Nemo off the leash in the forest, so what does he do? Lets him off last night. Excuse was, "I thought he'd be too tired after all that swimming to run off". Nope, not with the extremely strong hunting instinct he has been cursed with - I sent John back out in the car to look for Nemo but he was unsuccessful. So then he went out on his mountain bike to search around the wine fields. Of course he didn't take his mobile phone! So when I went up the top of the hill to the forest edge and found  the miscreant I had no way of telling John. It was another 40 minutes before John came back totally dispirited and tired out. I had no sympathy!

25/04/2013 at 09:08

Tee hee IW!  Serves him right - John, that is, not Nemo 

Edited: 25/04/2013 at 09:09
25/04/2013 at 09:34

My first RR10 race at Victoria Park Nettley went very well, with approximately 400 runners partaking. The route was 4.42 miles, all off road, and included 2 runs along the shingle. To many of us, me included, the second shingle loop was unexpected. My time was 34.49, an average pace of 7.53 minutes per mile. I am extremely pleased with the result, as the course was tough, with lots of up and downs, twists and turns. I was 162nd male, so well chuffed with that.

Diana, thanks for coming over after the race and introducing yourself, it was nice meeting you, and hope to see you at future RR10s

Tonight, the club are holding a social forest run. We will be driving into the forest and after the run will be meeting up in the pub. 

25/04/2013 at 12:06

TE - well  done, that's a very good pace.

Redhead - agreed! Hope he's learned his lesson but somehow I doubt it. My man always thinks everything's going to be ok.

25/04/2013 at 14:20

BIW, thanks. I'm intending to race more of the RR10s as being relatively short, between 4 and 6 miles, are great for improving speed and stamina.

25/04/2013 at 15:36

It was nice to meet you Terence. I was one of those who hadn't studied the course map, and didn't expect the secong run on the beach, so found it very tough. I managed overall 9:17 pace, but the last third of a mile was down to 9:39 pace. I'm satisfied but not over the moon!

John got his punishment IW! Glad Nemo was found ok.

Today daughter #2 had to go to hospital for a wisdom tooth extraction, and we left my car at daughter #1's house so my OH and grandson could drop it off. We then had a senior moment and forgot it was there, so drove straight home! 5.36 miles of hot running and I got there to collect it.

25/04/2013 at 17:03

Diana, that was a good pace over a tough course. I found the camber of the shingle on the beach the worse part. If it had been level, then it wouldn't have been so bad. The full results are now out on the RR10 web.

25/04/2013 at 20:09

Running streak day 5 of 111 - 

7.25 miles (I couldn't help myself, it was such a glorious morning, all misty with the sun peeping through!) mostly run on grass or compacted dirt through woodland and 1 mile of tarmac. Only a couple of hills. The dawn chorus was phenomenal today. Felt blessed to live in such a beautiful place.

Total miles so far 50.75 

Nice running Diana and TE.  Shingle must have been really tough.

25/04/2013 at 22:38

Red, your running streak appears to be going very well Do you have a total mileage in mind? The shingle was tough, and to make it worse, the tide was coming in and seeping up through it. It must have been even worse for the tail enders.

An enjoyable forest run this evening followed by drinks in the Drift Hotel. We ran from the Shatterford Car Park and completed 5.62 miles. The pace was a touch easier than in yesterdays race.

26/04/2013 at 06:03

Seems like your 2 marathons didn't exhaust your reserves, shows you are really fit, that's great, Redhead.

It was hot yesterday, so John took Charly to the pond up the road for a swim. There's a fence surrounding it to keep small kids away. John was about to lift Charly when he suddenly sprang up and over the fence on his own! Haven't taught him to jump yet as I normally have a dogs's hips and elbows X-rayed before starting  them on jumping the hurdle at dog club. Looks like Charly's fit and healthy but I'll make an appt with my vet to get the x-rays done just in case. It needs to eb done anyway in case we decide to breed him later on, it's a requirement for pedigree dogs to ensure only healthy dogs are bred - DNA sample required too.

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 06:03
26/04/2013 at 09:00

Morning all,

What a dreary day again, all wet and dull.  Suck a shock after yesterday.  I didn't get out first thing before it started so I guess I'm going to get wet later.  Never mind, I like running in the rain actually 

TE, no target mileage, just keeping at 5.5/5.6 minimum per day but after a couple of weeks I'll be introducing some longer runs then eventually perhaps some speedwork when I feel I've recovered completely.

IW, I think you're right about not depleting my reserves.  I do feel remarkably strong at the moment (hope that wasn't tempting fate!).

26/04/2013 at 09:26

The early morning rain seems to have cleared up now, but it is much cooler than yesterday. Today is a rest day, and tomorrow will be a 20 mile forest run. The SDM is looming up ominously. Sunday week is the Alton 10 mile race, and I was informed yesterday that it is hillier than the Ryde IoW 10 mile. My race time is, therefore, likely to be slower than my recent Salisbury 10 mile one.

26/04/2013 at 10:08

You do seem to have recovered very well from 2 marathons a week apart Red. Very impressive.

I'm sure Charly enjoyed the swim IW.

Good luck with your 20 miles TE. I must say, I'm not missing long runs, and quite enjoy the 6 - 8 mile maximum that I'm currently doing, especially with the daily running. Didn't qualify for Red's challenge on distance yesterday, with 5.36, and that felt quite tough on RR10 tired legs!

26/04/2013 at 16:31

Thanks for sending the sun our way Diana - didn't last long though.  I trained hard for this challenge both in endurance and speed so I was pretty sure I'd be OK, but then so many things can go wrong on the day can't they.

TE, you are going to storm the SDM, I just know it.  I think it's nearly as tough as Beachy but you've done such fantastic training so it won't trouble you at all.

Running streak day 6 of 111

5.96 hilly miles all on the lanes. Streaming nose, headache and trouble breathing going up the steepest hill told me that it's pollen time made worse by it being damp. Checked my breath flow when I got home and it was down by 100. Bother!

Total miles so far 56.71 (looks as if I'm going to get over 60 for the week with tomorrow's run) 

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 16:34
26/04/2013 at 18:37

Red, many thanks for your confidence in me for the SDM. Several club members have now shown an interest in running, and this would be the first year that our club had any entrants. I have entered in the over 5 hour wave, and am hoping that when the next wave catch me up, I will be able to up my pace and run with them. At the end of the day, I will be happy to finish, but would like to run under 5 hours. Your mileage is very impressive, and I hope when your running streak is over, you will be able to put all the miles in your legs to good use.

Tuesdays club session is hill reps in the forest, which is "just the job."

26/04/2013 at 20:14

Hailstones today!
All you guys training and racing is making me feel very tired. I need to lie down.

IW
I bet John regarded it as a bit of extra training.

Redhead
You are very brave doing these runs after consecutive marathons. Take it easy.

TE
I think your fitness level would see you well under 5 hours in almost any marathon.
JJ

26/04/2013 at 21:13

Thanks JJ, I have trained hard and consistently for many months now, and I am at my fittest for many years. Providing I keep my self belief, I believe I will succeed.

27/04/2013 at 08:02

Morning all,

Bright and sunny, but quite chilly this morning. Off soon for my LSD run.

27/04/2013 at 12:13

Took Charly over to the vet to weigh him- he's now 30.8 kilos so catching up wth Nemo who is 36kg. Got some anti-tick stuff too, they are all about now in the bushes and hedges,nasty things. Caught several on the dogs already. Came home to find John and Nemo missing, still not back, ooooh I could scream, John knows I'm due at the dog club with BOTH dogs in half an hour! The man simply has no concept of being anywhere on time.

I shall have to take Charly on his own if they don't get back in 15 mins.    

Edited: 27/04/2013 at 12:15
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.