'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,161 to 163,180 of 167,291 messages
27/04/2013 at 14:31

Afternoon all,

Running streak day 7 of 111

5.60 undulating miles all on the lanes. Glorious sunshine first thing although it felt a bit nippy in my vest and shorts at 6am!

Total miles so far 62.31 - haven't done that many miles in a week since training for my 3 marathons on consecutive weekends back in 2010 

JJ, don't worry, I've only been plodding.  Having said that, today my pace just seemed quicker without me trying but I'm not doing any form of speedwork for a couple more weeks.

IW, I hope John got *the look* that all men dread when he finally came home!

TE, hope your 20 miler went well.

27/04/2013 at 17:50

Red, well done on your continuing streak and 62.31 miles for the week. That is more than I have managed for many a year, although my mileage for the month is 190 after todays 20 miler. I should easily reach the magic 200.

I'm afraid the 20 miler didn't go well, as I had a heavy fall at 16 miles, and cut both knees, scraped my left arm and hurt my left shoulder. There were some walkers ahead of me, and the two ladies started laughing at me laying flat on my face. Luckily, the two men with them came over to see if I was ok. They helped me to my feet, and I completed the last 4 miles. Thankfully, the fall didn't affect my running on, and hasn't put me off the SDM. My knees are smarting, and my shoulder aching, apart from that, I'm feeling ok. 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
27/04/2013 at 18:12

Yes, of course he did, Red!

TE - oh dear, my sympathy, I hope you are not too sore, very bad luck.

Edited: 27/04/2013 at 18:12
27/04/2013 at 19:15

Cold day. 7C this afternoon.

TE
You're lucky to get away with just some superficial injuries.

Redhead
I hadn't realised there was a "look". I shall have to keep watch. Is it the one that looks like indigestion?
JJ

27/04/2013 at 19:40

TE - that sounds like a nasty fall. Don't think much of the two laughing ladies. Wouldn't have described them as ladies, myself.

Red - you are amazing, picking up the running again so quickly after the VLM. I know there's a reason for the 111 target but have forgotten what it is. I shall go back to your blog in a minute and see how it's progressed. 

Did another pyramid session yesterday, same as previously, 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 minutes with similarly-timed walk breaks between. Gratified to find that on balance they were slightly quicker than last week's session, which in turn was slightly quicker than the previous 6 sessions done since early Feb. Think I'll give pyramids a rest for a bit, and find some other form of speedwork.

Got bitten on the ankle during Tuesday's club run. Not by one of the runners; by something smaller and with (presumably) six legs.

27/04/2013 at 21:44

BIW, JJ and Columba, thank you for your kind words, they mean a lot to me. I feel very lucky not to have broken any bones, as I went down like a sack of potatoes. I was disgusted at the ladies reaction to my fall, but I suppose seeing an old man running and then falling, looked like something out of "You've been Framed."

Columba, well done with your pyramid session, you are making good progress. For a change from pyramids, a 400 metre interval session with 90 sec. jog recoveries is worth trying.

I haven't got bitten yet, which is just as well with all the blood that was seeping out of my wounds. I think that the cooler temperature kept them away. There was also a very cold wind, which was strong. I seemed to be running into it on the way back.

28/04/2013 at 09:44

Morning all,

A bright sunny morning, although still a bit fresh.

Feeling ok this morning, except for knees feeling sore and shoulder a bit achy. A rest day today, so will be catching up on housework 

28/04/2013 at 14:31

So sorry to herar about your fall TE - it does shake you up, as I know after two falls early last year. I too was able to carry on, but it did shake my confidence for a while. NOT impressed by the two "ladies" who found it funny.

Good training Columba.

I just did my 3.3 mile loop yesterday to qualify for the 5 x 50 challenge. I was at a club mate's charity fundraising ball last night, but managed to get up for my club's recce of our RR10 race. Quite a lot of stop start, which was good after a late night and a few glasses of wine. There are still some muddy stretches, but if we have no more rain, they may have pretty much dried out in time for our race.

28/04/2013 at 15:56

Afternoonie crinklies

WHEN is the lovely spring weather coming, 'tis very cold, grim and grey today!  I NEEEEEED some sun please.  BBC website suggestes the tomorrow onwards should be nice and sunny.  Phew!

Back into training for me!  I am trying to get out and run early morning (before work) as I used to enjoy that.  Have run every day this week just to get my body and mind back into running mode.  Shall do so this week again and then start being a little more structured!

Hope you all are running strong?  How's the limbo's Redbonce?

IW, is it fair to say that John is in the doghouse and the dog is in John'shouse?

28/04/2013 at 16:07

Diana, thanks. I find it best to get up from a fall, if possible, and run as if nothing had happened. I noticed that your RR10 link doesn't open on the RR10 web. I have heard that parking may be changed this year, owing to a problem with last years. Is this true?

28/04/2013 at 16:10

Afternoon all,

What a glorious day it's been - first a run and then gardening, heaven 

Running streak day 8 of 111

9.95 undulating/hilly miles all on the lanes. Cold when I first went out but got quite warm by the time I'd finished. Legs feeling good thanks Rabbit!

Total miles so far 72.26

(((TE))) poor you and what horrid women for laughing (I hate 'You've been framed', especially when people are laughing at someone who's obviously getting distressed about what's happening).  I'm glad you managed to complete your run and that today was a non-run day.  I know your injuries aren't too serious but a fall does shake you up so please take it easy for the next couple of runs.

JJ, that's the look 

Wabbs, I much prefer to get out first thing too.  I chuckled at your plan of going from nothing to running every day!

Columba, it's great that you can see some improvement from the speedwork.

28/04/2013 at 16:20

Red, thanks. I will just do an easy pace run on road tomorrow, and hopefully will be ok for Tuesdays club night session.

28/04/2013 at 19:39

Nice day but chilly.
Re falling over. I've done that several times. I reckon it helps to have played rugby for many years. 

Rabbit
Don't do too much too soon. Build up slowly.

Columba
Pyramids are but one type of interval training. By all means vary the type of session and do 200s or 400s or 800s or fartlek. You can. of course, vary the pyramid and do, say, 2 x 200/2 x 400/2 x 800 and back down again.  The  important thing is to do one session each week.

JJ

28/04/2013 at 20:55

JJ, I think falling over whilst running is par for the course. I don't know any runners that haven't had at least one fall.

29/04/2013 at 06:25

Falling's not my problem, turning my foot over is! I've had 4 fractures by turning my ankle on tree roots or wet leaves whilst running, and 1 by toppling over on my bike and not being able to get my foot out of the cleat in time. That time I damaged the tendon as well!

Continuing the theme - JJ knows there are two sorts of cyclists, those who have fallen off and those who haven't - yet. Yesterday I joined the ranks of those who have, still not sure how I managed to do it but somehow while cornering and keeping an eye on a car rather near me I hit the curb with my front wheel and fell rather hard onto the verge, which was loose gravel. I have a bunch of cuts and scrapes, a bruised hand and a hole in my cycling tights. It's the ruined tights that bother me the most!

29/04/2013 at 10:29

BIW - that's because the tights won't mend themselves, but you will.

Falling off a bike is no fun, and one of the reasons I gave up cycling. Falling off a bike with your feet fastened into cleats doesn't bear thinking about.

9.25 miles yesterday, in the most unseasonably cold weather, mainly because of a cold blustery wind which was direct into my face over the final 3 miles. It was blowing from the south, so why on earth was it so cold? My hands were almost numb when I got back; on setting out, I couldn't believe I might need gloves. 

JJ and TE - thanks for further advice re speedwork. Any suggestions re length of "rest" break e.g. between 200s, or 400s, or 8oos?

29/04/2013 at 13:27

BIW, sounds like a very nasty fall from your bike, and you must have been travelling a lot quicker than me when I fell. Thankfully it was no worse.

Columba, a good run there. It was very cold during my Saturday run and the wind was very strong. I'll leave JJ to advise on the intervals between efforts, as he will be able to offer more accurate advice to suit your ability.

Nice and sunny here, but still cold and breezy. Will be going for a recovery run later this afternoon, to test my cut and bruised knees.

29/04/2013 at 14:42

Afternoon all,

Weather's warm when you are in the sun but cold when the wind whips up.

Running streak day 9 of 111

5.79 undulating/hilly miles all on the lanes except for the last 1.5 miles across the fields. Asthma a bit gunky on the uphill sections.

Total miles so far 78.05

IW, ouch to the gravel part and bother to the tights.  Hope you're OK.

Columba, nice mileage again.  How many days are you running each week?

TE, hope the sore buts were OK on your run.

I've got to be up and out running at very silly o'clock tomorrow as I'm off into London for another meeting with DeNDRoN.  I'm not complaining though as it's about something I've campaigned about for many years 

29/04/2013 at 15:48

Yes I'm fine thanks, Redhead, just a bit bruised here and there but hey, nothing too bad, certainly won't stop me training - I'm about to go out for a run with the dogs. The tights are a nuisance but I do have others. Good job it was a bit cool otherwise I'd have been wearing shorts so the damage (to my legs) would have been a bit worse! Sun's out today.

29/04/2013 at 16:41

Annoying about the tights, BIW. Hope you heal well.

TE, we have relocated our race up to Stoney Cross. Parking will be at Janesmoor, but the race is in the next emclosure along from that used by Wessex & Romsey in July. The link seems to work ok now. When we did our recce yesterday there were still some muddy bits, where we're using the fire breaks between gravel trails, but these may dry out further if we get little or no rain in ther next few weeks.

Great start to your challenge, Red.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.