'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,181 to 163,200 of 166,436 messages
29/04/2013 at 13:27

BIW, sounds like a very nasty fall from your bike, and you must have been travelling a lot quicker than me when I fell. Thankfully it was no worse.

Columba, a good run there. It was very cold during my Saturday run and the wind was very strong. I'll leave JJ to advise on the intervals between efforts, as he will be able to offer more accurate advice to suit your ability.

Nice and sunny here, but still cold and breezy. Will be going for a recovery run later this afternoon, to test my cut and bruised knees.

29/04/2013 at 14:42

Afternoon all,

Weather's warm when you are in the sun but cold when the wind whips up.

Running streak day 9 of 111

5.79 undulating/hilly miles all on the lanes except for the last 1.5 miles across the fields. Asthma a bit gunky on the uphill sections.

Total miles so far 78.05

IW, ouch to the gravel part and bother to the tights.  Hope you're OK.

Columba, nice mileage again.  How many days are you running each week?

TE, hope the sore buts were OK on your run.

I've got to be up and out running at very silly o'clock tomorrow as I'm off into London for another meeting with DeNDRoN.  I'm not complaining though as it's about something I've campaigned about for many years 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
29/04/2013 at 15:48

Yes I'm fine thanks, Redhead, just a bit bruised here and there but hey, nothing too bad, certainly won't stop me training - I'm about to go out for a run with the dogs. The tights are a nuisance but I do have others. Good job it was a bit cool otherwise I'd have been wearing shorts so the damage (to my legs) would have been a bit worse! Sun's out today.

29/04/2013 at 16:41

Annoying about the tights, BIW. Hope you heal well.

TE, we have relocated our race up to Stoney Cross. Parking will be at Janesmoor, but the race is in the next emclosure along from that used by Wessex & Romsey in July. The link seems to work ok now. When we did our recce yesterday there were still some muddy bits, where we're using the fire breaks between gravel trails, but these may dry out further if we get little or no rain in ther next few weeks.

Great start to your challenge, Red.

29/04/2013 at 17:35

TE, I have a theory that you stumble and fall more as you get older. I don't remember falling in my youth, but seems to happen now every few months, usually when I'm tired at the end of a long run. My theory is that your reaction times are slower so it's hard to recover from a stumble. I had a 'spectacular' last summer which fortunately happened on the beach. Whilst the sand broke the fall, when I stood up I was covered in sand which had stuck to my sweaty bod. Like you. a couple of on-lookers found it highly amusing .

VLM 2014 ballot has now closed. On the plus side the Good for Age criteria has been relaxed for us oldies; e.g. 50-59 is now 3:20 qualifying.  

29/04/2013 at 20:23

I said I may run today and so it turned out. Four miles off road with the doodle. Quite a useful plod but lots of stops for stiles and gates and sheep. The doodle's PB for the route is 49 mins but we took 55 mins today so she's clearly not pushing herself.

IW
Hope the damage repair is quick.
Considering I rode 200 - 400 miles a week at my peak and raced most weekends I had very few falls and those involved only bits of shredded skin. Twice I toppled sideways at traffic lights while balancing to avoid taking my foot out of cleats but that caused only a bruised ego.

Columba
As a rough rule of thumb recovery time should be marginally shorter that the time taken for the intervals. It's quite a helpful guide because as you get faster you automatically get less recovery time.

JJ

29/04/2013 at 20:52

Red, you're doing very well with the streak, and here's hoping you can keep it going, without any injuries.

Diana, thanks for the updates on your race. I'll try the link again. I presume you won't be running, but will be undertaking marshalling duties?

00 50, I think you may be right. I can't remember falling during my "faster days" in my forties and fifties. My fall this time was at 16 miles, so it may have been tiredness, or a lack of concentration. Are you hoping to run the VLM again next year with your good for age qualification?

JJ, climbing over styles and gates is no fun as we get older. I can remember vaulting over gates in cross country races in the dim and distant past.

Despite my sore knees, I ran an easy pace 6 miles on road and grass this afternoon.

30/04/2013 at 07:58

Diana, the link to your race is working now, thanks.

A lovely bright, sunny morning and going to get warmer later. We have a hill session in the forest this evening, but I will take it cautiously, as I don't want another fall, with Sundays 10 mile race looming.

30/04/2013 at 18:26

BI - I don't need cleats to make me fall off a bike - I didn't learn to ride until my mid-thirties and I can fall off just turning a corner. Hope you are okay.

TE - It's horrible falling over, and what awful women to snigger and offer no help. I bet they were overweight and unfit ( you can see what prejudices I harbour! ) Your dedication to training certainly seems to be paying off.

Red - how can you possibly do 2 marathons and still keep on running? "Are you human or are you dancer", that's what I want to know, you amazing lady.

JJ - Yes, under 2.15 would be good, let's go for it. I don't know why I passed out, drop in blood pressure probably. I don't remember it!  David heard a crash and there I was on the floor in the bathroom. I was very sick, probably because of the sports drinks - I made the classic mistake of drinking too much and eating jelly babies when really I didn't need them.  I am ready to think about training if you are ready to think about advising!

Soooo happy!  My dog is a dream. He is a drakeshead labrador, golden, 21 months old, called Denzel. He is wonderful with all the children, even the two year olds, and hasn't eaten Parsley, my house bunny. He has not been trained so I have a lot of work to do with him. It will be some time before he can be my running partner because he is very strong. He makes a beeline for runners, children and wobbly pensioners with sticks  . I am going back to basics with clicker training and starting from scratch. He loves all the other dogs in the family and is feeling very amorous towards my daughter's boxer, Daisy, and made a right exhibition of himself.  Little K was very shocked  ("But Nanny, don't they have to get to know each other first?"  ) 

Missed the ballot for VLM by 15 minutes. Too slow to catch cold. Maybe Brighton?

30/04/2013 at 18:32

My husband has been to Addenbrooks for his 3 monthly check up. Six years ago he was diagnosed with prostate cancer which was discovered by chance - he was having a test for something else entirely and asked in passing for a routine PSA test at the same time. So all you gentlemen, go and insist on a test, even if you have no symptoms. You can have no idea how important it is.

30/04/2013 at 19:30

Matsmum, I've been using clicker training for a long while, I find it very effective. You have some work to do but it sounds like you have experience. Good luck, I bet you will soon find you have a wonderful doggy companion.

I agree with you about check-ups, very important especially as one gets older.

30/04/2013 at 20:40

Beautiful day.
Legs a bit stiff after yesterday's run. Guess I ought to try another one soon.

Regular full  MoTs should be standard for all over-60 males. Fortunately my GP's surgery has an enlightened approach to these thing but I gather that's a rarity.

Matsmum
Out all day tomorrow visiting new grandaughter but I will get back to you soon with some 1/2m training ideas.

Good luck with the new dawg. What's a drakeshead labrador? I assume one of his parents was a duck?
JJ

30/04/2013 at 21:33

Evening all,

Running streak day 10 of 111

7.52 undulating/hilly miles mostly on the lanes except for the last 2.5 miles across the fields. It was jolly cold out there at 5:30am but I had to go early to head off into London.

Total miles so far 85.57

Bit frustrated by the faffing that goes on within the NHS NIHR patient and public involvement department.   Just when we think we're getting somewhere they move the goalposts.

Matsmum, I'm not familiar with a drakeshead labrador but labs are all gorgeous aren't they.  Sounds as if he's making his presence felt already!  Quite agree about check-ups as I had a similar experience 11 years ago when I first started running - Mike made me go for a BUPA healthcheck which discovered cervical cancer.  It  had gone undetected by the NHS check I'd had the year before and was at a worryingly advanced stage.  Oh and I'm just determined about my running streak 

TE, steady as you go please.

JJ, your doodle is clearly in need of some speedwork then!

I forgot about the VLM ballot until lunchtime by which time it was closed!  I've always got a GB place if I want one but I'm not sure I want to do it next year.  I decided I wouldn't do Brighton next year either as I'd like to do one I haven't done before.  I've just been looking at Vienna and Paris.......

30/04/2013 at 21:45

Managed this evenings hill sessions without any problems. We ran continuously up and down 3 hills for 4 minutes each, with 2 minutes recovery between each hill. We did some core exercises after the session, and the midges were everywhere. Luckily they didn't attack me, so they may not have liked the smell of my blood.

Having a bad fall does have some compensations, as I received sympathy and a certain amount of respect from club members. 

30/04/2013 at 22:57

Red - at present I'm running three days each week, one with the club, one speedwork and a "long" run if I feel up to it but otherwise a shorter one.

'OO' - reaction times certainly do slow down as we get older; they are at their peak in the late teens / early 20s, so it's downhill from there. I don't often fall, but then I am pretty cautious, especially on steep downhills.

JJ - thanks for advice re rest breaks.

30/04/2013 at 23:00

Was a long day today; working in Aberystwyth, and then out with the running club in the evening, rather a short turn-round time, but fortunately the RC was meeting in my village instead of by the town lake, so took me only a minute to get there. We went off-road, 7 miles up and down grassy hills, out in the wilds with the sun slowly setting in the west... A really beautiful run. I got a bit shaky towards the end, probably running short of fuel.  

01/05/2013 at 08:11

Columba, sounds like a really enjoyable run.

Another bright, sunny morning with a forecast of 16 degrees. Off for an easy pace run later.

01/05/2013 at 11:51

Redhead - go for Berlin, it's a great race and very well supported. Beautiful city as well. I didn't enjoy the Paris underpasses and Vienna can be windy.

01/05/2013 at 12:13

TE, yes, I will be marshalling the RR10 - not sure where yet. Maybe almost at the furthest point, as I ma able to get there earlier than many.

Matsmum, like you, I only learned to ride a bike in my 30s and am still very nervous, and unable to do basic things like looking over my shoulder while riding in a straight line! I do keep vowing to try & improve. Thanks for the tip about a routine PSA test. OH's very good friend is having a pretty rotten time with treatment for prostate cancer currently.

Hope it's a lovely day with your granddaughter, JJ

Red, I've been quite tempted by the Cote D'Azur marathon, which is one way along the coast from Nice to Cannes,with a free train ride back to Nice. It's in November, so shouldn't be too hot.

Still keeping up my running streak, though not as impressive as Red's. Logged 126.5 miles for April

01/05/2013 at 12:58

TE- yes planning to run VLM again next year. It will be my 10th.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.