'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,201 to 163,220 of 166,425 messages
01/05/2013 at 15:21

Afternoon all,

Another glorious day here.

Running streak day 11 of 111 (soon be into double figures)

5.91 miles all across fields or on woodland paths. Stumbled on a few tree roots but managed not to kiss the earth this time!

Total miles so far 90.48

Ooooh, thanks for the suggestions IW and Diana.  I enjoy researching things so I'll have a look at both those suggestions although I don't like Nice much and Cannes just reminds me of having to stand around being polite to obnoxious and usually very drunk people at the advertsing festival which is the week after the film festival.  One day I'd really like to the Big Sur marathon 

00, presumably you'll get in via a GFA place?

01/05/2013 at 20:19

Just a steady 5 mile run on road and grass this afternoon.

01/05/2013 at 22:33

Lovely play-day with grandaughter. Sang Old Macdonald's farm so many times I couldn't remember whether I was supposed to be doing a sheep or cow or duck.

Looked at VLM but entries had closed. Checked Brighton but it doesn't appeal for some reason - probably the price.

Redhead
I've run on the beach at Big Sur. Fortunately there wasn't a marathon on.
JJ

02/05/2013 at 07:32

VLM ballot sold out in under a day JJ.

02/05/2013 at 08:23

After a few years lay-off have just got a 5K under my belt: 20:39. Very re-assuring and best time for years. The benefits of more systematic training coming through. It's suprising just how much faster you can push yourself in a race - only thought 22:00 was possible.

Now got a couple of 10ks to focus on in June so must pack in some extra miles and not get injured in the process. At 58 am enjoying a bit of  a 'comeback' and want to sustain it

Any others in same position ie clocking best times for a while? How do you keep it going - or even improve/set yourself new goals?

Just wondered..............

02/05/2013 at 18:41

jb 6
Hi. Welcome. I started running at age 55 and kept running PBs until I was about 66 by by improving the quality of my training rather than quantity. Joining a club also helped me by making me work very hard with younger, faster runners on club runs and speed sessions.

I'm 72 now and slowing down a lot. Haven't done much for about 18 months but I'm enjoying occasional runs and will probably be back into decent training any time soon.

Today's run was a steady amble of 4.4 miles. 3.55 miles were off road. No mud anywhere but a lot of dry rutted areas which were like concrete. Time was 45:26; about 10:20 miling. One of the milles was 9;52.

Nothing to get excited about.
JJ

02/05/2013 at 18:55

I would get excited about doing a mile in 9:52!

Hello jb6. 58 was the age at which I started running (not counting earlier running-around after the children), and I am now 69. Having run and trained on my own, I joined a local running club last year. Don't race often but have done a couple of half-marathons and have another planned for later this year. Not fast, never will be, but I have found I can improve my times by training systematically. 

Basically, I enjoy it and it makes me feel good.

That being said, today I went swimming, not running.

Diana - you have run exacty twice as far as I have in April - and I thought I was doing well!

02/05/2013 at 19:21

Hi jb 6 and welcome to the forum. That was a good time, and well done on "your come back!"

I'm 67 and am clocking my best times for 7 or 8 years. I put this down to joining a running club 16 months ago, after running unattached for several years. I was very competitive in my forties and fifties and ran for Team Solent. I am now with Hardley Running Club. We do structured training, such as hill reps, intervals, track sessions on grass in the summer and long runs in the forest at weekends. We do lots of drills before sessions, and core work after. I also attribute my improvements to increased mileage. I peaked at 59.25 a couple of weeks or so ago, and am racing more regularly now. I was particularly pleased with my 46.32 10k a month or so ago, and 78.39 10 mile two weeks before. I am racing the Alton 10 mile on Sunday, which is a very hilly course, which will probably produce a slower time.

Having objectives is also very instrumental in obtaining improvements. My current objective is to complete the South Downs Marathon on 8th June in one piece. I'm not setting myself a time, just to finish.

Hope this is useful, but the most important thing is to train regularly and consistently, and not to miss training sessions or long runs without good reasons. I run 5 days a week, as rest days are important for recovery. I push myself hard, which isn't suitable for everyone. We must be aware of the fine line between peak fitness and breakdown.

A rest day today, and an easy run tomorrow.

02/05/2013 at 20:46

Evening all,

Busy preparing for my jaunt to Badminton horse trials and will be up and out bright and early tomorrow then not back until Sunday so won't be posting my daily streak stats.  Very excited especially as I'll be meeting Richard Meade who was my pin-up when I was a horse-mad teenager.  Plus, I've had permission to run around the grounds for my daily streak - how cool is that!  Of course I have some work to do promoting ARUK and I've got a couple of interviews but I shall be in horse heaven 

Terry, is your race this weekend?  If so, good luck, if not just run strong.

Hi JB6 and welcome to the thread.  Fab time for your 5k!  I've just beaten my marathon pb set back in 2006, only by 3 minutes but the pesky thing has been taunting me so i feel as if I've finally beaten it into submission 

Have a lovely weekend everyone and I'll see you when I get back.

02/05/2013 at 21:15

Red, yes the Alton 10 mile race is this Sunday, hence a rest day today, easy day tomorrow, and rest day on Saturday. I will run it hard, and hope to beat my Salisbury time, but the hills may well produce a slower time. This won't bother me too much, as it will be helpful in my SDM preparations. I hope you have a great time at the Horse Trials. Whilst streaking round the course, don't be tempted to go over the jumps

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 21:17
02/05/2013 at 21:26

jb 6 - Hello, blimey, 20.39  was a good time. No wonder you feel encouraged!  I have been running for four years and I am 65. I have just run my first marathon, thanks to the advice and encouragement of the people on this forum. I will be running the Royal Parks Half in October and my training this time will be to become faster. At the moment I am very slow.

TE - Good luck this weekend. The weather is likely to be favourable which is just as well with all those hills.

JJ - The duckshead bit  is just denoting the breeder, so no, his mother is unlikely to have been a duck ( although it would explain how he goes quackers when let off the leash....).

BI - I have only ever trained puppies, so this time it is much harder. Poor Denzel is having to unlearn certain behaviours. At the moment I am teaching him how to walk on a loose lead (in the garden). He is having to earn much of his food!  But I can't believe how well he has settled in.

Diana D - Well done on your running streak. The most I have done all week is chase round the field with the hound !

02/05/2013 at 21:27

Redhead
Enjoy going to Horse Trials for the badminton - or summat!

TE
Good luck with the 10 miler. You're c ertainly preparing for it in the right manner.

Columba
You're quite capable of running a sub-10 minute mile. Just go out and do it. When you've done it take a 2-3 minute break then do it again just to prove a point.
JJ

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 21:30
02/05/2013 at 21:30

Actually it is drakeshead, not duckshead ! See how you confuse me JJ ? Forget that bit, he is just a labrador!

02/05/2013 at 21:32

This is no time to play ducks and drakes. Just keep away from the dog's beak and throw him some bread every now and again.
JJ

03/05/2013 at 08:03

Matsmum and JJ, thanks. I will do my best on Sunday and do a race report later.

It's another bright sunny morning, and I'm looking forward to a nice gentle run soon.

03/05/2013 at 16:21

Ran an easy pace 6.25 miles in the forest. Very warm and sunny and I've "caught the sun." Pleased to say I heard my first cuckoo, it was loud so must have been near by. I've never actually seen one though.

03/05/2013 at 17:52

Tight quads today. That's eight sore muscles!

Lovely sunny day and the garden looks very colourful. I sat for about half an hour and looked at it.

TE
The cuckoo isn't particularly interesting to look at anyway.
JJ

04/05/2013 at 00:00

Middle Son has come home for the weekend. Not so much to visit his old Mum as to attend a friend's wedding (tomorrow). At present he is out drinking with friends, - has instructions to ring before midnight if he wants me to fetch him home; otherwise, walk or get a taxi.

04/05/2013 at 09:48

Columba, hope your son got home safely and wasn't too inebriated.

04/05/2013 at 10:08

Youngest son and partner coming for the weekend. I know I am cynical for one so young, but I have a feeling they will want to borrow from the Bank of Mum!  Hence the visit. Ah well, retirement isn't yet on the cards which is probably just as well.

I have just had a hair raising first run with my dog. So much for your advice about easy runs, JJ. I had to go at full pelt and keep turning back on myself to keep him beside me. On the plus side he has learned to drop his toy and not take my hand off when playing fetch.

I have looked at Berlin. It's 28th September 2014. A nice long time to train!  It is supposed to be amazing. I doubt whether I will appreciate the scenery though - I only know I passed Big Ben because it was behind me in a photo, and I didn't notice Buckingham Palace at all. The bit I enjoyed most was the Tunnel of Yes. I loved that.

TE - Will definitely think of you tomorrow. What time do you start?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.