'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,261 to 163,280 of 167,003 messages
10/05/2013 at 14:17

Afternoon all,

Well that wind has done a fair bit of damage here - we've got 2 trees down, one large branch was on top of the perimeter fence and I had to move it myself as Mike has strained his shoulder, and another in one of the fields. But the most annoying thing is that the wind has snapped my beautiful Euphorbia characias wulfenii 'Arnold Bennett' which I lovingly raised from seed many years ago and was looking spectacular!  The stem was 2" in diameter and very woody but there was so much top growth it just couldn't stand up to the gale-force winds we had during the night.  Oh the joys of gardening!  Thankfully the root has survived with a bit of top growth so I shall move it somewhere a bit more sheltered.

I ran on the treddy very early this morning as it was too windy to venture outside.  5.51 miles, so my total mileage at day 19 is now 138.90.

10/05/2013 at 16:04

A rest day today and I splashed out on a Garmin Forerunner 210, new Asics trainers, a sport armband for I phone and a pair of Ron HiIl hilly socks. I will have to go on a bread and water diet now

10/05/2013 at 21:37

Red - alas for Arnold Bennett! - But at least something of him has survived.

Interval session today; slightly faster than last week's, which is gratifying.

11/05/2013 at 09:14

Morning all, bright and sunny start, but forecast wet and windy later. Looking forward to trying out my new Garmin Forerunner 210.

11/05/2013 at 19:12

The weather here is awful, windy and heavy rain this afternoon. Therefore I spent an enjoyable time in my preschool finishing the Elmer display and making a poster that says " It's Okay to be Different".  Most satisfying.

TE - Well, I don't know about peregrine falcon eggs, but I have ordered some duck eggs for the children to hatch out in an incubater I have bought. I thought about chicken eggs, but I might be saddled with lots of cockerels that nobody wants, and I couldn't bear for them to be croaked. The ducks can live freely on the lake in our field.

JJ - Your flowers are lovely.  My garden consists of grass and - er - grass!  But the Little Puffins are growing sunflowers and sweet peas in the Puffin garden, so all is not lost.

Red - You make me laugh with your advice to TE about taking it easy!! A sure case of " Don't do as I do, do as I tell you!"

I have an x-ray appt come through for the 24th May - for both feet!  I only have pain in one!  Still, I am not complaining. Do you remember those x-ray machines they used to have in shoe shops? 

Running tomorrow early - but only if it's dry.  I have had enough of getting soaked for a while. I read all about your training all of you, and come off the computer feeling as if I have had a work-out!  Keep it up and I shall be fighting fit.

11/05/2013 at 21:47

I ran 6 miles this morning and in the last mile the heavens opened with a vengeance. The roads were flooding two or three inches in places, and I was soaked through and through. I hope it doesn't rain like that tomorrow during my long run, as I really felt chilled to the bone. The forest is likely to be boggy again, just as I thought it was drying out.

Matsmum, I remember the x-ray machines in shoe shops. We could see the bones of our toes, and the assistant would move a pointer around them. I had my feet analysed by a similar device yesterday, whilst buying new trainers. I had to stand on glass plates, and green lights showed up under and at the sides of the feet. This was a sophisticated version of just standing on a wet floor in bare feet, and examining the imprint. They also videoed me running on a treadmill, which showed I pronated on my left foot. I've always known this and they said that as it had never given me any problems, there was no need to change  to support shoes.

I thought the same thing about Red advising me to take it easy

12/05/2013 at 08:02

Morning all, bright and sunny, but still a bit chilly. Off shortly for a long forest run with club mates.

12/05/2013 at 16:38

Hello, is anybody there!

Ran 19 miles this morning in the forest. 10 were with two club mates and the rest on my own. The forest was rock hard in places, and sodden in others. This was my last long run, and I will now begin my taper, but keep up the speed and hill work. Next Sunday is the Nettley 10k, which I intend running hard.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
12/05/2013 at 21:03

First triathlon race of the year today. The weather was awful. For once it felt warmer n the water than out! My swim didn't go well but at least I wasn't last out of the lake. The bike course was tough - rain, windy, and twice I got pelted with hailstones, not nice and a bit dodgy with ice all over the road. Luckily when I got to the long downhill section it was dry. It rained on me on the run section too, but I finished. So did John. Us Brits are tough aren't we? The marshals told us many people gave up due to the cold - during the bike my legs and feet were so cold I couldn't feel them and my hands kept cramping. Anyway, nice finisher medal and a polo shirt - that's the reward for 1500m swim/40km bike/10km run! Plus some cake and lots of fruit.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
12/05/2013 at 21:05

We do this for fun!!!

13/05/2013 at 07:34

Morning all,

LOL at that IW!  Well done for finishing though - I always think the medal is well deserved when one has battled against the elements.

LOL too at TE and Matsmum for picking up on my pot and kettle remark 

Apologies for my absence over the weekend but I have been ministering to Mike who has done something to his shoulder/upper back and has been in a great deal of pain.  My diagnosis is that it isn't actually his shoulder that has the problem but that it is emanating from his back again  (you may remember that he was hospitalised a couple of years ago with acute pain) and that it's another trapped nerve.  I finally persuaded him to go to the quack to at least get some strong painkillers and anti-inflams, which he did, and I've managed to get an appointment with Mary Massage Lady for this morning, thank goodness.

TE, lovely new toys!  Our ground is similar and sometimes the softer bits catch me out.  I'm jealous of your new Garmin as they look much more comfy than the clunky old thing I've got.  You really have put in the miles for this marathon and that, with all the hillwork, will assure you enjoy the SDM.  I've done it twice now and each time I've passed speedier people in the latter stages 'cos they hadn't put in the hillwork in training.

Matsmum, I too remember those x-ray machines and thought they were very exciting!  Glad you've got an appointment to see exactly what's going on.  I love your poster saying "It's OK to be different".  At the moment I'm trying to formulate a plan to raise awareness in youngsters about dementia as it's their generation that is going to foot the enormous bill if we don't invest in research now.  This idea came about when a friend's twins and Mike's nice both did projects about me running and knitting for charity and I realised that it's the quirkiness that attracts them.  On both occasions their teachers then went on to do a whole lesson about the elderly which was fantastic.  I just need to find a friendly Government minister or education guru..........

Columba, well done on your intervals.  They seem to be working 

Streaky update:

Day 19 5.52, Day 20 5.50, Day 21 6.15, Day 22 5.63 - total now 156.20

13/05/2013 at 09:23

BIW, well done on completing your first tri. since your operation. Thankfully you didn't fall off your bike in the icy conditions, as that could have taken you back "to square one."

Red, hope the problem with Mike's back soon clears up. My old Garmin was clunky, it was a 205. The new one is much neater, and has a heart rate monitor. This was erratic for the first mile, registering up to 225 beats per minute. This was whilst warming up! After that it settled down and was averaging 139 bpm, a nice comfortable pace. It sais on the box "great for interval training too." I haven't yet worked out how to set this up. Thanks for your confidence in me for the SDM! I have registered to start in the over 5 hours wave so that I don't go off too fast, and hope that when the next wave catch up, I will be able to run with them. I am feeling quietly confident as I have consistently since February put in high weekly mileages, together with hill and speed work, and several races. My long forest runs will, I'm sure prove invaluable, as I've always picked the hilliest, toughest routes.

Helen who ran the London Marathon in 4.29, ran 10 miles in the forest with Chris and me.  I ran the remainder alone. I don't have any aches or pains this morning, but am resisting the desire to run today, as I don't want to push my luck too far. We have a hill session in the forest tomorrow, which we call "The big dipper." This is where the midges "hang out," so we end up with nasty bites. Must get some insect repellent!

13/05/2013 at 09:43

Terry, try Avon 'Skin so Soft'.  I believe it's an excellent midge repellent - a tip I got from some Scottish runners.

Day 23 of 111 was on the treddy and I upped the pace just to see how my legs responded.  Did 3 x .5 mile @ 8.5 min miling with no adverse effects so far.  Total mileage 5.55 - I tried to get my time to be the same, ie 55.55 mins but I was a bit out - 56.07.  Simple things amuse a simple mind   Total mileage now 161.75.

Off to take Mike for some treatment.

13/05/2013 at 09:51

TE - insect repellent - thanks for reminding me; will add it to my shopping list. Very well done on that 19 miles, BTW.

Matsmum - I used to be fascinated by those X-ray machines, and was sad wnen they phased them out. Presumably the X-rays themselves didn't do us any good, let alone the shop assistants who will have been exposed to many more of them than each individual child was.

BI - air even colder than water; hailstones; numb legs and cramped hands - and yes, people do this for fun! - But not many people. Much respect! - and great that you can still do it after the hip op.

Red - hope MML can sort out Mike's back and shoulder pain. Or at least determine what's causing it.

Should have been a LSR yesterday, but by the time I got back home after attending a "parish concert" in the afternoon I decided it was a bit late in the day, so just went to the town lake, once round it, and back.

13/05/2013 at 20:51

'lo all.
Lots of family things going on this weekend.Announcement that elder son and girlfriend are to marry in June. Younger daughter and grandaughter came over for the day on Saturday. Younger son and family are buying a new house in Oxford at a frightening price.

Couple of short easy runs done last week.

The wind has been very strong and very cold again today.

Redhead
So sorry about your suffering with the wind.
Please give Mike and the euphorbia my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Matsmum.
Don't think I ever grew up. Sunflowers and sweet peas are still among my favourites.

TE
You have money left for insect repellent?
JJ

13/05/2013 at 21:39

Red, thanks for the tip, I will try to get some tomorrow.

Columba, thanks for "the well done."

JJ, I might not be able to afford the insect repellent now, as my daughter has just informed me that she has fixed a wedding for July. The bank of Dad is getting severely hammered these days.

14/05/2013 at 12:29

JJ - Oxford? I'm not surprised the price is frightening.

I also like all the plants considered suitable for children to grow.

Got an "own brand" insect repellent, - but it's so cold today I should think any self-respecting insect is staying under cover.  Club run tonight, will be another X-C.

14/05/2013 at 14:36

Afternoon all,

Looks as if the dad's are going to have to dig deep 

Day 24 of streaky streak was 5.51 miles across hard ground.  Nothing exciting happened.  Total mileage now 167.26.

14/05/2013 at 17:08

BI - There's a bit on "Runners all of us" (which I love) on You Tube that says, and here I quote:  "You are a finisher, you remarkable, unstoppable person." That is so definitely you.  And JJ, and TE and Red - in fact all of you. And actually even me! I have 2 trophies, one for a 12 mile race where I was second in my age group (out of 2) and one where I was 3rd (out of 3). In each case the weather was absolutely dreadful and people either failed to turn up or failed to finish.  But I pottered on to the finish line - my OH has always called me an obstinate little piece, so maybe he is right. I have the trophies to prove it!

JJ - Oh dear, June doesn't give you much time to prepare. Is it a hat occasion for Mrs. JJ? Weddings can be quite stressful - just ask Columba!!

Duck eggs are now happily incubating. So exciting. They are Road Runners!  I just hope they are faster than the dog.

14/05/2013 at 17:11

Tesco didn't have any insect repellent but don't think it will be needed this evening. It's been raining all day, so the forest will be really boggy. I'll try Boots the Chemist tomorrow, who should stock the repellent.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.