'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,281 to 163,300 of 165,804 messages
14/05/2013 at 12:29

JJ - Oxford? I'm not surprised the price is frightening.

I also like all the plants considered suitable for children to grow.

Got an "own brand" insect repellent, - but it's so cold today I should think any self-respecting insect is staying under cover.  Club run tonight, will be another X-C.

14/05/2013 at 14:36

Afternoon all,

Looks as if the dad's are going to have to dig deep 

Day 24 of streaky streak was 5.51 miles across hard ground.  Nothing exciting happened.  Total mileage now 167.26.

14/05/2013 at 17:08

BI - There's a bit on "Runners all of us" (which I love) on You Tube that says, and here I quote:  "You are a finisher, you remarkable, unstoppable person." That is so definitely you.  And JJ, and TE and Red - in fact all of you. And actually even me! I have 2 trophies, one for a 12 mile race where I was second in my age group (out of 2) and one where I was 3rd (out of 3). In each case the weather was absolutely dreadful and people either failed to turn up or failed to finish.  But I pottered on to the finish line - my OH has always called me an obstinate little piece, so maybe he is right. I have the trophies to prove it!

JJ - Oh dear, June doesn't give you much time to prepare. Is it a hat occasion for Mrs. JJ? Weddings can be quite stressful - just ask Columba!!

Duck eggs are now happily incubating. So exciting. They are Road Runners!  I just hope they are faster than the dog.

14/05/2013 at 17:11

Tesco didn't have any insect repellent but don't think it will be needed this evening. It's been raining all day, so the forest will be really boggy. I'll try Boots the Chemist tomorrow, who should stock the repellent.

14/05/2013 at 17:13

JJ - Thanks - I have emailed you.

14/05/2013 at 20:24

Today's Times says that US research proves that 3 hours gardening is worth roughly  one hour in the gym interms of exercise value and calorie burn. No wonder nowadays I find it difficult to cope with gardening, two dog walks and a run in the same day.

TE
No time to save up. Give her best wishes from your running colleagues on here.

Matsmum
We are advised that the wedding is very informal. I told MrsJJ that there's no need even to get her hair done let alone buy a hat.
Then I shut myself in the greenhouse 

Hope your Road Runners aren't quicker than me over 10k.
JJ

Edited: 14/05/2013 at 20:26
14/05/2013 at 20:45

I hope so too, JJ - they are still in their shells  

14/05/2013 at 21:40

JJ, will do and thanks.

14/05/2013 at 21:46

Matsmum - Road Runners? Not Indian Runners?

Laughed at your trophies for being 2nd (out of 2) and 3rd (out of 3). Last year I was given a prize for being first woman in my age group. I had actually come last in the race, but was the only woman running in my age group.

5 1/2 very uncomfortable miles tonight with the running club. Still, I don't run to be comfortable. It had been raining all day, and we went X-C over wet grass, through mud, across boggy squelchy fields, huge unavoidable puddles, impromptu streams where normally there are none... Long before the end we were all soaked to the skin, and the rain got heavier and heavier and a cold wind sprang up. Took me an hour to feel warm again after I got home.

There were only 8 of us, - usually about 12 or 15 or even more. So I can preen myself on being really hard core.

15/05/2013 at 08:12

Columba,

Very well done turning out last night for a cross country run in appalling conditions!! I must admit that when a club member rang to say she didn't fancy a forest hill session and could we do a run in the morning, I agreed. I very much doubt that the hill session went ahead, but if it did, would have been treacherous.

The wind was blowing hard all night and the rain was continuous. It has stopped raining at the moment, but is still cold and windy. Off for our run soon, to make up for wimping out of last night's session.

15/05/2013 at 09:37

Morning all,

Well there's no way I could have run outside this morning as it was difficult enough just staying upright when I fed the horses!  So I did a 5.75 mile tempo run on the treddy with 3 miles in the middle at a quicker pace.  Couldn't maintain 10k pace all the time as my gunk quotient is high today but I averaged 9.5 min miling in the faster bit so that'll do.  Total now 173.01 and nearly 1/4 way through my streak.

Columba, you are indeed hard core!

JJ, gardening is tough work.  My shoulders are really aching from all the digging I've been doing.

TE, hope you don't get blown away..........

15/05/2013 at 09:43

Working today; setting off in about 40 minutes. TE, hope you and your running mate didn't have too bad a time of it.

15/05/2013 at 15:42

We did an 8.3 mile fartlek run this morning, which included 14 hills. We ran the hills hard, and maintained the pace over the tops. It was all on roads and the wind wasn't as bad as at Red's. and it didn't rain!

Tomorrow is a track session on our grass track, but I won't be running flat out because of Sunday's Nettley 10k race. This is the last in the Hampshire Road Race League (HRRL). We are trying hard to recruit enough club runners to make up complete A and B men's teams, and a ladies team. Our B team of which I am a member have slipped from 3rd to 5th in B Team Division 2, as there were only 3 of us racing in the Alton 10 mile. If we can get a complete team, I'm hoping we will make the top three. I will certainly be running my heart out to get as high a placing as possible. 

15/05/2013 at 16:52

14 hills?  Oh my goodness!   I must count my hills next time I do a longer run.

15/05/2013 at 21:26

Just entered the Brighton 10k in November.  Let's see if I can end the year with another pb 

16/05/2013 at 09:19

Red, by the time you have completed your running streak and got back into your normal routine, you should be in tip top condition to blast your 10k pb. What is your target time? Hopefully, Matsmum will send you a pair of wings

16/05/2013 at 10:13

0:54:20 set at the Brighton 10k in 2007 which is the year I started to do multiple marathons to 'celebrate' (!!!) my 50th birthday. I'd run 5 x marathons plus 2 x ultras (35 & 52.4) with the last and toughest marathon, Beachy Head, just a couple of weeks beforehand so I had no expectations of getting anywhere near a pb time but I managed to beat my previous pb of  0:54:34 so it was a great end to the year 

I've only run 1 other 10k since then, which is shameful really, which was the Ashford 10k in 2009, over a hillier route, which I completed in 0:55:44.

16/05/2013 at 13:38

Red, I feel sure you will get a pb, as despite your high mileage this year, you will probably have less miles in your legs than in 2007. The races you did in that year were really amazing.

16/05/2013 at 15:07

Hope so Terry!

Day 26 of 111 was 5.54 on a hilly route.  Breathing very laboured and glad when it was over.  Total mileage now 178.55

16/05/2013 at 16:09

14 hills ... I believe there's a race (or a run) up and down all the Malvern Hills, but don't think there are 14 of them. But they are big, of course. And steep.

Red - sorry to hear about Bad Breathing Day; I suppose there are good days and bad days, and no reason why tomorrow shouldn't be a good day. 

Been swimming - and today was a good day, though the past two lessons weren't. Definitely made progress today.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.