'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,301 to 163,320 of 166,646 messages
17/05/2013 at 08:53

An excellent pyramid session last night on the grass track, consisting of 30,60,90,120,90,60,30 sec reps x 2 with jogging between each effort restarted by the Coach's whistle. We weren't told what the recoveries would be, and they were different times according to the distances run. We finished with the traditional fun relay race, which comprised three teams of four, each runner racing a 100 metre leg. The teams were a mixture of slow and fast runners to make it more interesting.

I'm taking two rest days now, so that I will be rearing to go for Sundays 10k race.

17/05/2013 at 10:20

That was a good session Terry.  Now rest well!

I've just done a fartlek-type session on the treddy - 1 miles warm-up then starting at 6mph (10 min miling) I upped the pace by .1 for .1 of a mile until I got up to 7.5mph (around 8 min miling) then took a .5 mile jog rest ('cos I had a coughing fit) then started back at 7.5mph and went back down to 6mph then just over 1 mile cooldown.

So, running streak day 27 was 5.7 miles and  my total mileage so far is now  184.25 (I can't believe how quickly the first 4 weeks seem to have gone!).

17/05/2013 at 13:51

Red - thanks for the info, - I will go ahead and plant them in the troughs.

I make that nine thirty-sevenths of your streak done. Nearly a quarter.

TE - that coach likes to keep you all on your toes!

3.2 gentle miles done this morning. Now saving myself for the 10 miles on Sunday (a "run", not a race as such).

17/05/2013 at 14:44

We've just been inspected by DEFRA, quite out of the blue.  Good job my paperwork was all up to date - manure management excellent, nitrate calculations show we're well within the legal requirements, cross-compliance OK, weed control good and no invasive species found/all legally controllable species controlled, a couple of boundaries needed to be changed 'cos we've fenced them off from livestock for the benefit of wildlife but this was balanced by an area that needed to be brought back into the equation but otherwise all paperwork tickety-boo.  

That took 3.5 hours and we only have 30 acres.  You can imagine what it's like for a large farm - the lady said it can take days.  It's really interfered with my gardening time!

17/05/2013 at 17:43

Off to Oxford to look after grandchildren (three) for a couple of days so I'm unlikely to post over the weekend.

Columba
The only godetias I would grow would be free ones. The are quite spectacular but mine have never lasted a whole summer of flowering. Worth a try in containers but they are happier as a bedding plant.

TE
Enjoy the race on Sunday. Hope it goes well.

The recoveries should have been marginally less time than each rep.

JJ

17/05/2013 at 21:08

Red - what "invasive species" would you need to look out for, apart from Japanese knotweed which I know about? Congratulations on passing all the tests, and without even any warning!

JJ - thank you, - bedding it is, then; and I'll get pansies again for the troughs. They always do well.

18/05/2013 at 08:59

JJ thanks. I will be aiming for sub 47 minutes. I think the weather will be hot, with occasional showers.

Continuing the gardening theme, I had the two silver birch trees in my back garden reduced  in height and trimmed. I've got a lot more light now, as the trees had got very high and the branches were spreading outwards, as well as upwards.

19/05/2013 at 06:05

Just popping in to wish Terry good luck.  Hope those legs perform well today.  Weather here is cool and dull at the moment.  Fingers crossed for a super-fast time xxx

Columba, I'll answer the invasive species question later as it isn't a quick answer!

Off for my run now 

19/05/2013 at 07:38

Thanks Red, I've packed my wings, so hoping for a fast time. It's forecast 19 degrees, so I'll probably need my cap. I'm hoping we will have enough club runners for an A and B team, as it is the last race in the Hampshire Road Race League. Will do a race report later.

19/05/2013 at 08:14

Good luck, TE - will be thinking of you!  

19/05/2013 at 08:19

Columba - 10 miles!  It will go well for you, I am sure. Your training has been so consistent. Lots of positive vibes coming your way!

19/05/2013 at 12:54

Day 29 of 111 was 6.56 miles along the lanes with frequent stops to take photos of wild flowers.  Breathing was OK until I went past a field of oil seed rape.  Total mileage now 196.56 

Columba, weed control on agricultural land is quite strict although, as you can imagine, not everyone adheres to the rules!  First of all there's the Control of Weeds Act 1956 (or is it 57?) which lists ragwort, creeping thistle, Scotch thistle, spear thistle and Dock (curled and broad-leaved), buddleia, pygmy weed & laurel to name the most common ones. It isn't an offence to have them on your land but their control is about the good management of pasture land.

Then there are the invasive weeds which are non-native and have been introduced over the years - Rhododendron Ponticum (that pale lilac one that's everywhere), Japanese Knotweed (which pushed through a concrete pathway when we had a flat in London!), Giant Hogweed (the sap of which causes phytophotodermatitis of the skin and can cause severe scarring  when skin is exposed to sunlight) and Himalyan Balsam (a relative of the innocuous Busy Lizzy) which is causing untold problems in our waterways.  All these species are either causing problems for our native plants, are harmful to livestock and/or humans and so the rules are even stricter.  If you don't take action to control these weeds on your land then you can be fined or prosecuted.

Edited: 19/05/2013 at 12:55
19/05/2013 at 16:28

Turned out my 10-miler was an official race after all. Official time won't be on the website for a few days, but according to my own timing I did it in 2:12:32. I was quite pleased with this, because it was very hilly and I resorted to walking several of the long steep uphills. I came in last of the runners but a batch of walkers had set off an hour before the runners' start and as some of them were treating it as a saunter I did overtake a few. It's the first year this race has been run, so it was quite a small field. There was a "perpetual" trophy for the winner, with 15 little shields on it, so the organisers clearly intend it to be an annual event.

It was sunny, and we ran through the middle of the day so pretty warm. I felt fairly agonised most of the time, and very very glad to see the "Finish" sign.

It was well marshalled and well signposted; even I didn't get lost.

The route ran through a farm and by the side of the road were four huge bales (hay? straw) wrapped in plastic, and each one had a word painted on it in large letters: YOU - CAN - DO - IT .

And there was plenty of food at the end. Tea, cake, apples, cheese...

Thank you for the vibes, Matsmum - I'm sure they helped!

Now waiting to hear about TE's race.

19/05/2013 at 16:33

I've heard of some of those plants, Red, but not all (pygmy laurel?) I believe ragwort is poisonous to horses, so can quite see why you have to keep that out. And that rhododendron... There's loads of it in Snowdonia, and they are gradually eliminating it but it's a long job.

Surprised about the buddleia. It does seem to seed itself freely. I bought a white buddleia bush a couple of years ago, for the front garden, - and then discovered a purple one growing up in the back garden without so much as a by-your-leave. But I've left it for the butterflies.

19/05/2013 at 17:30

Matsmum, thanks for your good wishes, those wings you sent me for my last race are really working, as "I was flying today"

Columba, well done on your 10 mile race on a difficult course!! There is no shame in coming last of the runners, and I admire your guts and determination in training and running in all weathers and ground conditions. I hope you got plenty of encouragement as you finished. We clapped and cheered the last runner in our race, and everyone else joined in. She smiled and upped her pace with 600 metres still to go. I hope there were plenty at the finish to cheer her over the line.

I feel almost humble in reporting on my race, after lapping many runners who were really struggling but determined to finish the race. I exceeded my wildest expectations in finishing the 10k in 45.53 according to the clock on the finish line; 7.23 pace. It was gun to tape timing, so my actual time was several seconds quicker. My new Garmin 210 let me down as it lost satellite connection at  3.63 miles, so I don't know what my actual start line to finish tape was. My WAVA was 77.51, the highest for 9 years, and my 10k time the fastest for 12 years! I am now intent on getting my WAVA up to 80, once my SDM is out of the way. My high weekly mileage, combined with structured hill and speed training is certainly paying dividends. I would definitely recommend any runners contemplating joining a running club to do so, as I would never have achieved such improvements if I had still been running unattached.  I would also say that racing in a club vest is worth a minute or two, with all the encouragement, and pride in representing the club.

Edited: 19/05/2013 at 17:33
19/05/2013 at 19:25

Oh well done, Columba and TE. You are on fire! 

K is also celebrating. She won a prize for coming first in her age group in the Wroxham 5k with a time of 21.24. 

19/05/2013 at 20:51

It's those wings and vibes you keep handing out, Matsmum. Worked for TE, worked for me, evidently worked for K too! Congratulations, K.

Brilliant time and age-grading, TE!  And you're absolutely right about running clubs. But of course, they've got to be friendly. Cliquey ones are probably worse than useless. Yes indeed, I got a burst of applause as I tottered under the "Finish" sign.

19/05/2013 at 21:35

Many, many congratulations TE - fantastic result! As you say, your training is paying dividends. Shame about the lost satellite signal. My garmin is pretty good.

JJ, I've also spotted mixed seasons, as one of my runs has both primroses and bluebells flowering together - very pretty. Hope you're not complelely worn out after looking after 3 grandchildren.

Well done on the first triathlon of the year BIW.

Red, I use the Avon 'Skin so Soft' dry oil spray. I think the original perfume is meant to be most effective. We have an Avon rep in our road, but I'm sure they have on-line sales too.

Have now completed my 5 x 50 challenge, but have been busy as I am involved in getting a Parkrun launched in Brockenhurst. Inaugural run next Saturday!

19/05/2013 at 21:58

Thanks Matsmum and well done to K, a very fast time.

Columba, you're right about clubs needing to be friendly. I joined one that wasn't a few years ago and left after a couple of years. I raced in the club vest, but didn't go to club sessions.

Thanks Diana, I think I must have set up my Garmin incorrectly, as nobody else that I spoke to had lost their signal. My old Garmin, which was a 205, never lost its signal, even in the forest. Well done on completing your 5 x 50 challenge. I will probably take part in the Brockenhurst Park Run on Saturday. I have never done one before, and believe that I have to register, to enable me to enter all Park Runs? 

20/05/2013 at 06:48

Morning all,

Well what a good lot of racers!  Well done to Columba, TE and little K for producing great times on a hot day 

Diana, yep, you can get Avon on-line.  Good luck with your Parkrun.

TE, I joined the Senlac Arrows and they were fab but they merged with another club which was very cliquey and too far away and so I left.

Columba, you missed a word out between pygmy and laurel - pygmy weed is a very invasive water plant which is clogging up our waterways after people have dumped it from their garden ponds for that very reason! (if you scroll down the page on my blog you can see a ditch filled with another invasive species - Fairy Moss http://www.extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.co.uk/2007/07/my-50th-birthday-challenge-is-complete.html).  Laurel I'm sure you'll know, but in case you don't it's got big leathery leaves and like Rhodo ponticum it was planted by landowners as ground cover for game birds but it ended up shading out all our wonderful native forest flowers.

A run in the rain for me today.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.